• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

zlatko

Banned
:( I can't play right now. Steam keeps saying installation errors(10) which apparently means the Steam servers are busy. I wanted to try co-op with a stranger. :(

Requeim

MrPliskin said:
The only proper way to respond is continue punching the idiot in his stomach / face repeatedly until his miserable existence ends. Not trying to be rude, but your friend sounds like a complete tool.

I don't think being a tool warrants death though

RoboPlato said:
60% sounds about right. The puzzles get a lot harder and more complex from that point.
Great. Finally!

MrPliskin said:
The only proper way to respond is continue punching the idiot in his stomach / face repeatedly until his miserable existence ends. Not trying to be rude, but your friend sounds like a complete tool.
Because he has a different opinion than you. Cool...

TheExodu5 said:
And here's a review from a friend who pirated the game. He pirates a lot of stuff, but I did everything to convince him to buy this game...no dice.

I don't even know how to respond to him about this...

Out of curiosity, have you ever asked him what he's purchased outright, or if he's ever bought after pirating?

webrunner said:
This just makes me wonder if the whole thing is a troll.

Stephen Merchant co-hosts the Ricky Gervais show.

They're each best known for their work together.

Gervais is far more famous than Merchant is, especially in the U.S. I could easily see someone associating all of this particular brand of humor with Gervais and not knowing who Merchant is at all.

webrunner

That Ricky Gervais clone's humour wears off fast enough. I don't know who this Stephen Merchant guy is

plc268

zlatko said:
:( I can't play right now. Steam keeps saying installation errors(10) which apparently means the Steam servers are busy. I wanted to try co-op with a stranger. :(

I got the same error, but then I tried it again, and it worked fine.

webrunner said:

To be fair, I went through half the game thinking it was Martin Freeman.

freeman4.jpeg

MNC

Drkirby said:
That is pretty good for a first attempt. I was expect a "First TF2 Custom Map" like stage where you put a box on a button
It's the first Portal 2 custom map, but probably not HIS first map :p

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
MNC said:
It's the first Portal 2 custom map, but probably not HIS first map :p
Yes, I was still expecting it to be simpler. I am impressed he actually made a real puzzles and not just proof of concept.

prodystopian said:
Is there any info on a soundtrack? I liked a lot of the music, but I haven't seen any info.
Did Kelly Bailey not do the soundtrack this time? It didn't have that cool Half-Life-esque music...

creid

From what I read online it sounds like your online co-op progress is saved to the cloud. I know that single-player save data isn't cross-compatible between PC and PS3, but I'm wondering if co-op save data is. Anyone know? I'm afraid I might not be able to get on PSN the next (and possibly last) time I have a co-op opportunity.

MNC

Drkirby said:
Yes, I was still expecting it to be simpler. I am impressed he actually made a real puzzles and not just proof of concept.
Oh yeah, the map looked really good to be honest. The wait for my preorder copy is killing me :(

TheExodu5

Banned
Squishy said:
A bit disappointed with the style of the puzzles so far. Most rooms seem to be very restricting in that there are only a few obvious panels which I can place portals on, the rest of the wallspace being un-portalable. This might get rid of the annoyance of not putting a portal in quite the right place and messing up a jump, but it just makes the game far too restricting. There seems to be little variation in the way that I can solve a puzzle; most seem to only have one solution, so I don't really see myself replaying the whole game anytime soon. There is also little opportunity for leaping around everywhere in a large area freely with momentum because the large areas are either completely linear, or only have very specific and obvious places in which you can place portals. I wish there was some kind of sandbox mode with lots of objects to play around with and tricky geometry to navigate.

And there's no challenge maps? I suppose they would have to be made from the ground up though because there aren't really many alternate (and quicker) solutions to the puzzles i've seen
I'm up to chapter 5
, but it's such a shame there isn't some kind of mode like the time trials in Mirror's Edge, or the first Portal for that matter.

Yeah, the lack of challenge maps and general replayability is my biggest complaint. I don't mind that the main game never got that hard...everyone should be able to get through the story and experience without running into logic hurdles. However, I would have liked a good amount of post-game content to challenge me, as did the least portal and least time challenges in the first game.

At this point, I'm done singleplayer and done coop. I'm going for all the achievements, but it's not going to last me very long.

The coop maps were definitely harder and more challenging. They actually combined the different puzzle elements together, when single player never did.

The Lamonster said:
Did Kelly Bailey not do the soundtrack this time? It didn't have that cool Half-Life-esque music...

Oh not sure. What I meant was, are the songs easily accessible from the Steam version, or are they going to release an OST at some point?

PhiLonius

Got in 2 chapters/sections of co-op last night and wow. The puzzles and possibilities with two portal guns is just so much fun.
The fan puzzle at the end of the second section blew me away when I figured it out.

TheExodu5

Banned
Joe Shlabotnik said:
Out of curiosity, have you ever asked him what he's purchased outright, or if he's ever bought after pirating?

He buys some games off Steam when they're really cheap. He will almost never buy anything abot $10. He only does so if the game will last him a long time (I believe he bought Borderlands and Dragon Age at full price). Again, he's an example of a consumer that does pirate but will buy games given the appropriate conditions.

He also thinks GTA IV is amazing and one of the best games ever. :\

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The Lamonster said:
No he didn't It was done by the guy who worked with him on the Portal 1 soundtrack and did the Left 4 Dead music.

Kelly Bailey left Valve or something :(

Portal 2 still had an amazing soundtrack though (like the ambient stuff).

epmode

The Lamonster said:
While it's true that it doesn't sound like Half-Life, Portal 2's soundtrack is brilliant. I'm so happy that Valve finally branched out into interactive music. Very IMUSE.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
I have played so much Portal 2 for the last two days, that I'm starting to dream about solving puzzles with portals. I need to give this game a break.
Vf1lq.gif

marjo

Spoilers for those who haven't reached chapter 7

I just realized that the chapter title 'The Fall' has a double meaning. Not only does it refer to the literal fall you took to get there, but also the figurative one that Aperature Science and Cave Johnson went through (going from testing on the elite of society to picking up homless people off the streets. Pretty clever.

Dina

Jesus christ this game takes a nosedive in chapter 6 and 7. Not yet beat 7 but I really, really don't like this part.

I don't see me playing this game through multiple times anyway. 6 and 7 are extremely linear, especially in the solving of the puzzles.

TheExodu5

Banned
MrPliskin said:

Eh?

Some of us have to live with pirate friends. I'm trying to convert them as much as I can (I introduced another to Steam and Steam deals and he's been spending probably $20 a month now on Steam games). I'm not going to ruin a friendship over it, though. That won't help anyone.

Red

jj350 said:
Come on now, saying that Portal isn't a FPS is like saying Mirrors Edge wasn't a FPS. I mean sure, you aren't running around shooting people, but still, you can't honestly tell me that it is a completely different genre. You might as well tell me how Dawn of War 2 doesn't count as a RTS since you're not constructing and maintaining a base. Make all the excuses you want, the game is what it is. You can't make a sub-genre for every single game you see breaking the norm.
It is an FPS in the very loosest sense. You say FPS and you think "shooting bad guys," not "shooting walls."

It is a first person puzzle game.

Phantom Limbs said:
Haha you are like the only person that found THAT puzzle to solve itself. Everyone I know, including myself got stumped on that one for a good amount of time.
The chapter 8
turret/repulsion gel
puzzle was one of the easiest in the game. Took me maybe three minutes. What did you have trouble with?

Red

The Lamonster said:
Do they reveal in the end how this game ties into the Half-Life universe or is it just another vague hint like at the end of Portal 1?
Aperture Science is a thing in the Half Life universe, and considering when Portal 2 takes place there's not really much else to connect them.

The Lamonster said:
Do they reveal in the end how this game ties into the Half-Life universe or is it just another vague hint like at the end of Portal 1?

There is almost no connection between Portal 2 and Half-Life. There is a nod to the shared universe in a hidden section but there is nothing new to learn at all.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The Lamonster said:
A couple references to Black Mesa and such but nothing overt. I think I like it that way. Portal and Half-Life can be connected without them having to be totally overlapping.

TheExodu5 said:
And here's a review from a friend who pirated the game. He pirates a lot of stuff, but I did everything to convince him to buy this game...no dice.

Your friend is a douchebag. Not for his opinion, cause he pirated it.

Nedjoe

Neo Member
hamchan said:
I need the OST for this game. RIGHT NOW >:-(

Take my money Valve, I want to buy it.

I second this. I was a little worried about the music after I heard that Kelly Bailey left Valve but the tracks in this one are so great. Although I wonder how an OST would work since alot of the music is based on musical cues. Also Valve should allow you to buy video game OST's straight from steam.

RoboPlato said:
They get a lot more complex in the second half of the game. As to the second complaint, this is a puzzle game.

The second part wasnt really a complaint more of commentary on the puzzle design in the first 3rd of the game. I will wait for judgement but the first 3 chapters are underwhelming in everything but the dialogue. I will also say that adding in secret rooms that only portals reveal would be sweet too.

Evlar

Banned
Dina said:
Your friend gets some things right, Exodus. Non-existant replay value, for one.
And yet quite a few people in this thread talk about playing it through a second time for the developer commentary.

derFeef

TheExodu5 said:

reply to him he is a cut & paste human person.

Top Bottom