• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

epmode said:
I'm not understanding this.

It was just a comment on the quality of puzzles in the first 3 chapters... I feel Valve is taking a little too long getting the ball rolling on this one, that is all. The first third of a puzzle game shouldn't be easy tutorial levels, especially if it is a sequel.

The "nothing else to do" comment means exactly that: there is nothing to find, nothing to explore etc... I understand that this is strictly a puzzle game and I am sure there are much harder ones to come but the lead up to them is fairly underwhelming in everything except dialogue.

I am fairly positive these complaints will dissolve as I progress through the game but that doesn't make them any less valid by the end of the experience. They may be overshadowed but I still see them as design flaws.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I just finished the game and loved almost every bit.

Now for the trophies. For the co-op trophies, I can probably play with myself using the PC... Can I get most of the co-op with this method?

epmode said:
Valve's single-player games are as replayable as my favorite movies are rewatchable.
The thing is, without added challenges, a puzzle game is gameplay wise very boring since usually there aren't multiple ways to approach something, resulting in doing exactly the same, except faster, most of the time.

evLar said:
And yet quite a few people in this thread talk about playing it through a second time for the developer commentary.

Yeah, I do so too. But only because of the developer commentary, and not much else. And even then I am noclipping through the level to find the commentaries (and make pretty screenshots, although I forgot that Valve used compressions so now they look bad :( ). Things you haven't seen or heard can be fun, but since there are very few ways and motivation to try different ways, you will mostly play the same.

For the record, I do not think this is a bad thing, but a puzzle game is just no meant for replaying.

hamchan

Replay value doesn't really bother me when the game is as good as Portal 2. This is probably one of the best gaming experiences of the year; my money was well spent.

Milpool

Evlar said:
And yet quite a few people in this thread talk about playing it through a second time for the developer commentary.

Just finished my commentary play through. Going through again made me realise I did some things very wrong the first time, like using cameras to solve certain chambers (probably thanks to playing Portal challenges all week). And
I made the huge cavern area with the white paint much harder than it needed to be.

jtrov

Started this game around 9:30 pm last night when I got home from work and by the time I decided to take a break I checked the time and it was already 3:00 am. Such an amazing game! Everything about it was making me smile; the writing, puzzles, atmosphere, all of it. This game is just so good, I really don't want it to end. It's nice knowing I have co-op waiting for when I finish SP.

Red

TheExecutive said:
What does replay value mean to you? More things to do or quality of the experience or both?
It means the ability to be replayed. Portal 2 has got it, can't wait to go through it again.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Do you guys think we can expect more for this game by Valve?

Like some kind of L4D-like DLC (story-wise) for Portal 2 would be nice.

DaNcaKe

Felt weird to hear a Brit voicing one of the main characters in a game, don't know if anybody else thought that?!

I thought Merchant played the role of Wheatley perfectly and continued the humour that I loved in the original Portal.

Have finished the SP section of the game and loved it, waiting to do the co-op now.
How long is the co-op stuff in comparison? Is it as good?

DaNcaKe said:
Felt weird to hear a Brit voicing one of the main characters in a game, don't know if anybody else thought that?!

I thought Merchant played the role of Wheatley perfectly and continued the humour that I loved in the original Portal.

Have finished the SP section of the game and loved it, waiting to do the co-op now.
How long is the co-op stuff in comparison? Is it as good?

Co-op is about half as long and is fantastic.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Where do I find my save file to back it up? Been clicking around the steam folder and can't find it.

NVM found it

AwShucks

hamchan said:
Replay value doesn't really bother me when the game is as good as Portal 2. This is probably one of the best gaming experiences of the year; my money was well spent.

This is exactly how I feel about it. Though I would go further back than just this year, I'd say best experience in a few years, maybe more.

Exuro

Sorry if it's been asked but any news on when the SDK will be available? Wondering if they'll implement the updated tools they've been working on as well. Portal 2 will greatly benefit from custom maps.

Exuro said:
Sorry if it's been asked but any news on when the SDK will be available? Wondering if they'll implement the updated tools they've been working on as well. Portal 2 will greatly benefit from custom maps.
It has been asked before, but I think nobody knows. I believe they haven't announced a release date yet. I don't think the updated tools will come immediately, that probably will take a while.

Holy shit. I'm so synced with the achievements for Portal 2.

"No Hard Feelings." I wanted to save that turret because he said he was different. I almost dropped him while putting him in a safe sport. *whew*
"Scanned Alone." Wheatley asked me what we think we should do to halt the turret production, so I wondered what would happen if I just stood in the scanning field...achievement!

That's three times now. Getting the achievements this way has been so awesome. Never before have I've been so synced with the achievements of a game. Awesome!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Dax01 said:

"No Hard Feelings." I wanted to save that turret because he said he was different. I almost dropped him while putting him in a safe sport. *whew*
"Scanned Alone." Wheatley asked me what we think we should do to halt the turret production, so I wondered what would happen if I just stood in the scanning field...achievement!

That's three times now. Getting the achievements this way has been so awesome. Never before have I've been so synced with the achievements of a game. Awesome!
I did the same for the second one. There's several others like that throughout the game that I really enjoy. They usually have good dialogue that goes with them too.

KScorp

Dax01 said:

Beginning of chapter 9
probably had the best achievement (although it wouldn't be spectacular on it's own to be fair).

turnbuckle

Never played the original but I got it for ps3 since I could also play on steam. Can't wait to see what makes this game so popular.

Artanisix

Wizman23 said:
So does anything get spoiled if you start co-op before completing the single player campaign?

Depends on how far you get I'd say. A friend and I got to around the 3rd round of test chambers before I did the single player campaign and I didn't feel spoiled by anything.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
The Lamonster said:
Is voice chat pretty much a necessity for the co-op?

Not really. I'm sure it makes things easier, but I've completed most of it with a friend on PS3 and I've just used text chat via the Steam overlay.

Exuro said:
It's really helpful but not needed. The ping tools they provide are very useful.
Oh, that's pretty cool.

Next question: Would I still have a fun experience doing the co-op with someone who has already completed everything and knows the puzzles?

JWong

Banned
So tried the PC version on max settings. My rig is pretty powerful barring an SSD.

I didn't feel like the graphics were that much better than the PS3 version. Once I hit the load time, I quit and continued on my PS3 since I was already far in the PS3 version.

Is the PC version not that much better than the PS3? I didn't look at the details, but they seem pretty on par.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
The Lamonster said:
Oh, that's pretty cool.

Next question: Would I still have a fun experience doing the co-op with someone who has already completed everything and knows the puzzles?

Ehhh, not really. Half the fun is figuring out how a puzzle works.

StuBurns

Banned
Hey GAF, as Sony have decided to be incompetent today, and I've finished the game in a single sitting, does that mean none of the steam achievements will unlock for me, as I did it all without linking profiles?

Exuro

The Lamonster said:
Oh, that's pretty cool.

As long as he doesn't explain how to do all the puzzles. Figuring the puzzles out with someone else is really satisfying though. I would try to find someone that hasn't played through them first if you can. If not you'll still enjoying playing through them as long as you're the one figuring it out.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
JWong said:
So tried the PC version on max settings. My rig is pretty powerful barring an SSD.

I didn't feel like the graphics were that much better than the PS3 version. Once I hit the load time, I quit and continued on my PS3 since I was already far in the PS3 version.

Is the PC version not that much better than the PS3? I didn't look at the details, but they seem pretty on par.
As noted before, the only real difference is resolution and framerate (which depend on your machine, of course). The actual in-game assets appear exactly the same between the two.

Loading may also be faster or slower depending on your PC (my PC loads faster than PS3 while a friends actually loads slower than the PS3).

turnbuckle said:
Never played the original but I got it for ps3 since I could also play on steam. Can't wait to see what makes this game so popular.
Play the original first. If you can play on PC, there are plenty of people that would be willing to gift you the game.

Chavelo

Ah....

I love the Source Engine... I can crank everything up on my 3 years old PC and still enjoy a silky smooth experience. Makes me feel warm inside. :3

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
TheExecutive said:
The second part wasnt really a complaint more of commentary on the puzzle design in the first 3rd of the game. I will wait for judgement but the first 3 chapters are underwhelming in everything but the dialogue. I will also say that adding in secret rooms that only portals reveal would be sweet too.
Agreed, but there definitely are secret rooms that are only accessible by using portals to reach. Areas that I thought might be part of the current puzzle but were not.

Top Bottom