• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

The amazing thing is Portal 2 runs amazingly, every setting on high (save for AA), for me on my pretty shitty desktop while L4D2 runs pretty poorly. They've optimized the engine a ton it seems.

JackEtc

Treefingers said:
The amazing thing is Portal 2 runs amazingly, every setting on high (save for AA), for me on my pretty shitty desktop while L4D2 runs pretty poorly. They've optimized the engine a ton it seems.
Yep, I have an HD 5570 (a low profile card), and I'm running it completely maxed out, everything on high/very high, with 8xAA and 16x Filtering, and getting 50-60 FPS. Yet, I can't have Half-Life 2 even close to that.

Treefingers said:
I noticed that too. I have everything maxed except for AA and it runs wonderfully on my old ass PC. Except my nvidia 8800 GTX sounds like a jet engine at the time.

XeroSauce

Chavelo said:
Ah....

I love the Source Engine... I can crank everything up on my 3 years old PC and still enjoy a silky smooth experience. Makes me feel warm inside. :3

Yea, the engine scaling in this game is so beautiful. -tear-

JWong

Banned
dark10x said:
As noted before, the only real difference is resolution and framerate (which depend on your machine, of course). The actual in-game assets appear exactly the same between the two.

Loading may also be faster or slower depending on your PC (my PC loads faster than PS3 while a friends actually loads slower than the PS3).
Dang. PS3 dat gud.

DarkKyo

Treefingers said:
The only time it didn't run perfectly for me is when there was a LOT of gel levitating around on-screen. Made me hit a stutter here and there while it's present.

rhino4evr said:
I played up to a little into Chapter 2 last night...let's just say I'm impressed so far...does it get better?

No Spoilers please.

I'm not finished either, but I'm farther than you. Yes, it keeps getting better and better with every chapter.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
this freakin game, man

Question: Why does my game keep "syncing" in my Steam library? Is it because I have it linked to my PS3?

rhino4evr said:
I played up to a little into Chapter 2 last night...let's just say I'm impressed so far...does it get better?

No Spoilers please.
You seriously think that after the introduction chapter the game will get worse? Of course not! The game gets better!

Nabs

The Lamonster said:
Oh, that's pretty cool.

Next question: Would I still have a fun experience doing the co-op with someone who has already completed everything and knows the puzzles?
Play with someone who hasn't played co-op. Also, you dont need voice chat, but it helps. Voice chat + Ping tool = Awesome.

rhino4evr

Nabs said:
Much better.
Thanks. The intro level was amazing...but now I seem to be in "same old portal" but the puzzles are getting more and more interesting.

And even though I'm ony a couple hours in, I can safely say that this one is even funnier then the first game..which is the most impressive part of the game to me. The Writing and voice acting is absolutely brilliant.

Nabs said:
Play with someone who hasn't played co-op. Also, you dont need voice chat, but it helps. Voice chat + Ping tool = Awesome.
Okay any Gaffers wanting to plan a PC play-through on Sunday night or something? I haven't had a lot of time play and don't have any IRL friends on PC. PM me if interested.

Would anyone be kind enough to Gift me Portal over Steam please ?

already got Portal 2 started playing it , now i really want to play the first one

GABDEG

31y6.jpg

Poster for whatever "The final hours of Portal 2" will be.

StuBurns

Banned
rhino4evr said:
I can safely say that this one is even funnier then the first game..which is the most impressive part of the game to me. The Writing and voice acting is absolutely brilliant.
I want to know about this actually, have we heard anything about Merchant doing writing himself? Without going into specifics, he says things that he says on podcasts and things all the time, strange phrases that are both obscure and British.

I don't agree it's as funny personally though.

JackEtc

Dechaios said:
The only time it didn't run perfectly for me is when there was a LOT of gel levitating around on-screen. Made me hit a stutter here and there while it's present.

For me it was when the blue gel was first introduced and you (not really a spoiler, very early game, but I'll spoiler anyway)
spray it on the cube in the glass case and it bounces around and the entire case shatters
. My frame rate DIED right there.

guise

Treefingers said:

I know - i was kind of shocked i can run it on very high, 2560x1440 on OSX

Atomski

BY2K said:
Do you guys think we can expect more for this game by Valve?

Like some kind of L4D-like DLC (story-wise) for Portal 2 would be nice.

I bet they add a steady stream of stuff to the coop.

Articalys

derFeef said:
Was is this "The Finals Hours Of Portal 2"? A documentary?
As far as I can tell it's a super-in-depth postmortem on the development of Portal 2. They did something similar for Half-Life 2, apparently.

Edit: beaten by a matter of seconds.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
JackEtc said:
For me it was when the blue gel was first introduced and you (not really a spoiler, very early game, but I'll spoiler anyway)
spray it on the cube in the glass case and it bounces around and the entire case shatters
. My frame rate DIED right there.

Me too. Was getting silky 60FPS for the entire time (and got it for the entire rest of the game), but that moment stuttered along at literally ~5FPS.

I think it's all the glass shattering.

StuBurns

Banned
Articalys said:
As far as I can tell it's a super-in-depth postmortem on the development of Portal 2. They did something similar for Half-Life 2, apparently.

Edit: beaten by a matter of seconds.
The HL2 article is awesome actually, I'd recommend people give it a read, it's on Gamespot.

JackEtc

GDJustin said:
Me too. Was getting silky 60FPS for the entire time (and got it for the entire rest of the game), but that moment stuttered along at literally ~5FPS.

I think it's all the glass shattering.

Yea, for sure, had single digits as well.

Speaking of, DAT GLASS. It looks so amazing.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
fallengorn said:
Caroline giving birth to Chell on the Borealis during a Resonance Cascade.

If you squint you can see Freeman cutting the umbilical cord

Can anyone comment how good is split-screen on PS3? My GF loves portal, so I'm thinking of getting a console version just so that both of us can play on one screen.

Also, should we first play throught the SP before we start co-op?

JackEtc

Castor Krieg said:
Can anyone comment how good is split-screen on PS3? My GF loves portal, so I'm thinking of getting a console version just so that both of us can play on one screen.
If your other option is the PC version, and you have a PS3, you might as well get the PS3 version, since you get the PC version for free with it anyway. It's a win-win situation.

Castor Krieg said:
Doesn't really matter. I was about 3/4 of the way through the SP, and finished the Co-Op, and I feel like I did them in perfect order.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Anyone having any issues with minor juddering on the PC? It's very subtle, but quite annoying. It's similar to Doom 3 engine games before you disable the com_precisetic and com_fixedTic. It's like a tiny hiccup every couple of seconds.

I'm seeing it in Portal 2 in certain areas and I'm not sure why. If I disable v-sync, my framerate goes up to 225+fps so it's clearly not a performance limitation and FRAPS reports my framerate as a solid 60 fps all the time. Things like that really drive me nuts.

I'll probably just go back to the PS3 version for now, but hopefully there is some cvar I can adjust to fix this.

KaYotiX

Banned
Castor Krieg said:

wife and i play on the 360 co-op (60" tv) and its great. Actually really fun solving puzzles together. Wife loves it and the witty comments by Glados

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
rhino4evr said:

No Spoilers please.

I guess it depends on how you define 'better.'

There are more puzzles. That is certain.

Red

dark10x said:
Anyone having any issues with minor juddering on the PC? It's very subtle, but quite annoying. It's similar to Doom 3 engine games before you disable the com_precisetic and com_fixedTic. It's like a tiny hiccup every couple of seconds.

I'm seeing it in Portal 2 in certain areas and I'm not sure why. If I disable v-sync, my framerate goes up to 225+fps so it's clearly not a performance limitation and FRAPS reports my framerate as a solid 60 fps all the time. Things like that really drive me nuts.

I'll probably just go back to the PS3 version for now, but hopefully there is some cvar I can adjust to fix this.
I get it in rooms with monitors, like the elevator rooms between test chambers.

dark10x said:

Open up the console and see if you're getting any error messages. For me it had to do with the blobulator (gel) and garbage collecting in certain situations. Changing Effects to Medium got rid of it completely. There was an update today though that fixed some GC memory leak. Not sure if it's related to that or not.

Top Bottom