• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

~Kinggi~

Banned
God damnit UPS didnt leave my Amazon order at the door like they always do and now i gotta wait till tomorrow. Fuck, people gotta work all day for a living you know.

FatBaby said:

New Based Gabe meme:

2dqlizt.png

dralla

Medalion said:
I am currently stuck in the ruins of the condemned experiment grounds for Aperture Science... I have come across an underground gathering place for potential candidates and was introduced to the voice of the owner of the company... I have no idea what I am supposed to do or find in this huge ass room... I have been jumping from place to place, I even got to a place where there is a MAIN LIFT that goes to the Surface but that place seems to be a dead end, and I cannot figure out how to get to the other "entrance" side, even with making momentum high jump falls to jet myself across the place.

Swear to god, I get desperate to start randomly firing my portal gun at anything in the distance of a door hoping it clings to something
thats the 1 puzzle I got stuck on. the problem is that it's not clear where you're supposed to go and the method you use to solve it, you haven't used in a while. you don't go on the main lift.

geoffmk

Geoff Keighley
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm looking into other platforms for the story. My goal is to get it to as many readers as possible down the road.

CyReN said:
Wonder how long it will take to get pirated and put into pdf.

Pretty pathetic to be pirating a 2 dollar purchase IMO. Anyhow, just bought the app - looking forward to giving it a read tonight.

I love this game.

derFeef

geoffmk said:
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm looking into other platforms for the story. My goal is to get it to as many readers as possible down the road.
Great! Loved your Half-Life work btw.

Sent

Stallion Free said:
Ugh you have to be fucking kidding me. Way to limit your customer base Geoff.

What? Everyone doesnt have an ipad....2?

Ill be waiting for it on another platform though :p

Forkball

Ok so I think I'm right before (chapter 9 spoilers):
the final boss.

Also if you want my thoughts on the game, please Paypal me 50 cents.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I don't even understand what it's saying.
It's saying a a lot less of the surfaces let you place portals on them. I dunno, if you go back and re-play Portal it's really not much different in this regard.

Sent

BenjaminBirdie said:

The Portal 2 is easier, I guess?

Portal 1 regular was way easier than Portal 2 SP

Portal 1 challenge maps > Portal 2 SP

Portal 2 Coop has nice puzzles though

Rengoku

CyReN said:
Wonder how long it will take to get pirated and put into pdf.

Theres about 13 chapters, most of it is text and screenshots/artwork. Theres a couple videos, but most of them we've seen before, the only thing new that I found is are 3 videos from the "Two Bots, One Wrench" design experiment.

Koodo

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Same rooms, only less space space to shoot a portal in.

Pretty stupid considering I could only count one or two instances of deja vu.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I guess that Portal 2 is exactly the same with a slight environment change.

Which...it's not, really. It's the same foundation, sure, but I guess people were expecting an action game with Portals?

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
JWong said:
No it's not.

It's an ignorant assumption.

There are a lot more places you can place "useless" portals in Portal 1. Portal 2 has one or two red herrings in every area, but it's more about figuring out the proper "sequence" of portal placement rather than just generically where they're supposed to go.

ShockingAlberto said:

Which...it's not, really. It's the same foundation, sure, but I guess people were expecting an action game with Portals?

As others have noted, it's more a commentary on how you have fewer options on portal placement now. Most surfaces aren't portal-able. While this isn't really true for the puzzles, it is more true for a lot of the "useless" surfaces - I remember doing all sorts of dicking around in random hallways, and now that's way less possible/prevalent.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Edit:
darkpaladinmfc said:
I'm not interpreting the comic as 'Portal 2 is the same but easier', I'm interpreting it as 'Portal 2 has a lot less portal-able surfaces' which is true, and a necessity for some levels where the scope was very large (particularly old Aperture levels). Because of this many Portal 1 rooms have more solutions than Portal 2's rooms.
Aaaah I get it now. In that case I'm in total agreement with the comic. Anywhere in the game that you see white means you'll inevitably shoot a portal there to solve the puzzle.

I'm not interpreting the comic as 'Portal 2 is the same but easier', I'm interpreting it as 'Portal 2 has a lot less portal-able surfaces' which is true, and a necessity for some levels where the scope was very large (particularly old Aperture levels). Because of this many Portal 1 rooms have more solutions than Portal 2's rooms. In Co-op a few times I literally found out what to do by thinking along the lines of 'hey, we can put a portal here but we haven't yet, so I guess we have to use this'. Portal 2 is still amazing and superior to Portal 1!

ShockingAlberto said:

Whahaaaaaat? This isn't the spoiler thread so I won't elaborate but that's kind of like saying Creep (Portal 1) is just like OK Computer (Portal 2).

Mrbob

Rengoku said:

Ipad only, way to limit your market.

dark10x said:
Anyone having any issues with minor juddering on the PC? It's very subtle, but quite annoying. It's similar to Doom 3 engine games before you disable the com_precisetic and com_fixedTic. It's like a tiny hiccup every couple of seconds.

I'm seeing it in Portal 2 in certain areas and I'm not sure why. If I disable v-sync, my framerate goes up to 225+fps so it's clearly not a performance limitation and FRAPS reports my framerate as a solid 60 fps all the time. Things like that really drive me nuts.

I'll probably just go back to the PS3 version for now, but hopefully there is some cvar I can adjust to fix this.

Yeah I'm getting it occasionally as well. Somewhat annoying but it only last for about a half second.

Ummmm okay, Steam updated Portal 2 for me and now the game keeps crashing whenever I try to load my game.
LLShC.gif
This happening to anyone else, or is it just my crappy laptop?

Campster said:
There are a lot more places you can place "useless" portals in Portal 1. Portal 2 has one or two red herrings in every area, but it's more about figuring out the proper "sequence" of portal placement rather than just generically where they're supposed to go.
I dunno, the thing is with things like the Excursion Funnel and the paints it would be possible to get through a level incredibly easily if they didn't limit the surfaces. And Portal has a lot of areas with few portal surfaces for that same reason.

Red UFO

It's saying that Portal 2 highlights important areas with subtle lighting effects, which is 100% true, I know 2 other people who have also noticed that apart from myself.

I don't think that's a bad thing by the way.

Zomba13

BenjaminBirdie said:
Neither do I. I think it's either:
1) Portal 2 is the same as Portal 1 but less bright
or
2) Portal 2 is easier because the only places you can put portals are the 'right' place

Zomba13 said:
Neither do I. I think it's either:
1) Portal 2 is the same as Portal 1 but less bright
or
2) Portal 2 is easier because the only places you can put portals are the 'right' place
It's 100% the second.

Portal 2 definitely has less portal surfaces, but I suppose that's because with the complexity of the things going on, it would be a lot easier to mess things up or break the tests.

Anyone got a hint for me? I'm stuck in the test chamber with blue gel and water falling from the ceiling (the first time this happens, in case it happens again later on). Literally stumped. A clue rather than a solution would be nice, both would be better :)

KaYotiX

Banned
Red UFO said:
It's saying that Portal 2 highlights important areas with subtle lighting effects, which is 100% true, I know 2 other people who have also noticed that apart from myself.

its true, especially in the later lvls, its not a big sign pointing "PLACE HERE" but if you look you notice its lit up in a cool way.

i also just beat it. So far its my goty, so many cool moments and the writing is amazing.

Red UFO said:

Hm. Maybe here and there, but my favorite solution of the game (
Spraying Moon Juice up the two super high parallel pillars bit by bit, spraying one side, opening another hole in that new spot, etc, etc, completely refutes that comic's hypothesis with the force of a thousand suncs of awesome jawdropping puzzle building.
)

When I figured that one out I tried to hi5 my cat but she ran away but I was still "HA HA YAHEAH!!!!"

Green Scar said:
Anyone got a hint for me? I'm stuck in the test chamber with blue gel and water falling from the ceiling (the first time this happens, in case it happens again later on). Literally stumped. A clue rather than a solution would be nice, both would be better :)

Look at the walls.

Green Scar said:
Water cleans away gel. That's bad.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Question related to Steam, and PSN being down:

I managed to link my PSN account to my Steam account before PSN completely broke down, and got a few trophies + Steam achievements (or whatever the Steam equivalent is called). Then I got logged out of PSN, and haven't been able to log back in since. Now, my question is:

As I'm now playing the game offline, getting trophies and stuff (which obviously won't be synched to my PSN account until PSN goes up again), will I not be getting the corresponding Steam achievements since I'm not actually on Steam while playing? Or will the game automatically update my Steam account with everything I've done offline once I can connect to PSN (and Steam) again?

EmCeeGramr said:
Water cleans away gel. That's bad.

Well yeah, but I can't see a way of getting bouncing past the water.

EDIT: Shit, never mind. Think I've got it.

Yup, did it, never saw the tiny-ass switch in the corner. Thanks anyway I guess :lol

Red

AwShucks said:
If you actually took over an hour for one puzzle I find 6 hours hard to believe. I don't explore, though I do wait to hear a lot of the talking that goes on for quite a while sometimes. The longest I got stuck was for maybe 10 minutes. I finished in 6.5 hours
8.4 hours on Steam profile, at least two of which are on Windows (did the full playthrough on OS X). Not sure how I can find an exact number, but using what Steam gives me I can assume it took 6.4 hours. Does it count time when you are in the Steam overlay? If so you can shave probably another half hour off of that.

I'm not complaining about the length. I think it is a strength. But to say it is a long game -- no. Even you must agree at 6.5 hours. It lasts exactly as long as it needs to.

I'm going to guess the first round of speed runs will probably hit around the 2-3 hour mark.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Game took me ~11.5 hours and I only got stuck one puzzle for maybe a half hour or so.
I was also pretty drunk at the time. I also feel it is worth noting I don't think I left the game running for that long while I wasn't actively playing.

Long game. There were a parts where I was like "shit this is gonna end in the next half hour" but it kept going.

I've previously stated here that I consider Portal2 to be the greatest, most powerful gaming experience I've ever had. It reminded me why I've been so passionate about videogames since the second I was introduced to them in kindergarten.. however, I feel it was maybe a bit too long. But I'm sure that's more my fault of playing through the entire thing in less than 2 days.

FUCKING FANTASTIC GAME
Can't state it enough.

Top Bottom