• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

derFeef

Medalion said:
I must be a prime example of a casual gamer

People are blazing through this game in less than a day almost everywhere I look

I am probably a little under half way through just starting chapter 6

Are u guys really playing to enjoy or rushing to the end? I must not be very clever, how distressing
I played it within 3 days - 3 hours each sitting, which means almost 9 hours. (Though Steam tells me 6, which is clearly wrong)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Medalion said:

People are blazing through this game in less than a day almost everywhere I look

Are u guys really playing to enjoy or rushing to the end? I must not be very clever, how distressing
I just had absolutely nothing to do on Tuesday so I sank a ton of time into it. Finished last night since I knew I was near the end.

Chavelo

Q: I don’t have an iPad. Will The Final Hours of Portal 2 ever be available to read on the web or other platforms?

A: While I don’t have any announcements to make at this time, I am exploring ways to make the story available on more platforms in the near future.

Q: Why would you make this for iPad? I don’t own an iPad but really want to read it. It’s not fair!

A: I know this will be a frequent question. I started with iPad because I love the device; in many ways it helped inspire me to write this story. It’s a good platform to publish log-form journalism with multimedia elements. But I do realize that iPads are expensive to own and many Valve fans may not have one. If the iPad version is somewhat successful I am committed to getting this story onto other platforms. I appreciate your patience.

Q: Why are you charging money for this story?

A: The $1.99 price is an experiment. For a while I toyed with making the app a free download as a gift to the game community (and Valve), which I may still do at some point. But ultimately I had to be realistic about the costs of building this App, including the photography, design and programming. I am very curious to see what kind of market exists and if that market is large enough to recoup my production costs. The $1.99 price was established because it is similar to the cost of a weekly magazine. I think it’s a fair price for such a lengthy story with so many multimedia features. Please let me know if you disagree.

What in the fuck, Geoff...

derFeef

Despite the fact that not everyone has an iPad, would you guys also complain if it were a book(let) which would cost 15 bucks?

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
iPad only? Geoff can go fuck himself. That's the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard. It'll be copied and pasted onto the net within the hour, I'm not sure what Geoff thought he was going to accomplish.

Saty

What the heck, doesn't Valve have a say about how this article is published? Anyhow, the Kotaku item makes it sound a must-have.

Chavelo

derFeef said:
Despite the fact that not everyone has an iPad, would you guys also complain if it were a book(let) which would cost 15 bucks?

If I could check it out on Android or PC, then fine by me.

And nice use of an extreme example, there. (15 bucks...)

Oreoleo

WHOA YOU GUYS SURE HAVE A MISPLACED SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT OVER THIS

God forbid this guy try to earn some money while doing his JOB.

derFeef

Chavelo said:
If I could check it out on Android or PC, then fine by me.

And nice use of an extreme example, there. (15 bucks...)
I don't think that is extreme, I would say that its cheap if it were a nice printed book.

Twilight Princess said:
not even gonna buy it for 2 bucks. this stuff should be free
And the reasoning?

Chavelo

JWong said:
Ahahaha oh my... what's so special about it? How hard is it to port words?

I find it really cool that he made it into a multimedia project. Was really only expecting something like his old Gamespot articles. I don't happen to have $500 for an iPad, tho. :-/

TheExodu5

Banned
He's trying a sales experiment. Calm down guys.

That being said, I'll check it out tonight. My iPad might as well get used for something...

Chavelo

derFeef said:
I don't think that is extreme, I would say that its cheap if it were a nice printed book.

And the reasoning?

Oh, I thought you meant like an ebook or Android/Flash for PC/Mac app for 15 bucks...

/tries to see how he could do interactive stuff on paper

CyReN said:
Can you read this on itunes? I rarely ever use itunes. Don't know anyone who owns a iPad since laptops are a few hundred bucks cheaper..
No, it's an iPad app. Why would they not make an interactive web version? Pretty silly tbh.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Orellio said:

I'd pay for it if there was a version I could buy for PC. Making this iPad only is incredibly dumb.

Orellio said:

Jesus dude. I have no problem with it costing money, I have no way of buying it though.

FLEABttn

Banned
I'm not all that upset over the $2 as I am the fact that I have no device to read it on.

That the device wasn't a PC is stupid.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Orellio said:

Yeah, I am also going to use that rage to make Valve release Episode 3 right now.

Cartman86

Banned
Twilight Princess said:
i don't understand it either. i mean, this is by far the best game i've played in a long time, why not take your time playing it...

If you have time to play and want to play why not play? Should people decide not to solve a puzzle so they can have more time with the game?

Medalion said:

Take as long as you need and don't fret at others completing it a little quicker.

I finished it in 6 hours, which I don't think is too quick.

You end up learning the 'grammar' of the level design and know what to expect in other parts.

Damn I'm really enjoying this game. How best would I describe the story? ...Hilariously realistic if that makes any sense. It's funny but not in a goofy way that you're unable to take it seriously.

Just picked up Potato GLaDOS and she's stuck on my portal gun. Lawl.

Cartman86 said:
If you have time to play and want to play why not play? Should people decide not to solve a puzzle so they can have more time with the game?
if the puzzles in portal are like math problems, you can either take your time solving it, experiment a little, look up related material, or you can solve it like you're in an exam and make it as quick as possible.
personally i don't want the game to end that quickly, it's gonna be a while til a better puzzle game comes out.

Red

Twilight Princess said:
i don't understand it either. i mean, this is by far the best game i've played in a long time, why not take your time playing it...
Mainly because it doesn't take much time to play. I really took my time exploring, was stuck on a single puzzle for literally over an hour, and never ran into any trouble besides that. Finished in six hours. It's very short, but it's so tightly focused that its length is perfect.

darthbob

Crunched said:
Mainly because it doesn't take much time to play. I really took my time exploring, was stuck on a single puzzle for literally over an hour, and never ran into any trouble besides that. Finished in six hours. It's very short, but it's so tightly focused that its length is perfect.

I agree completely. While the may seem short after you see your total playing time, you don't feel rushed or jipped by the end or anything. It melds in well, and makes you really think you had a good experience.

Saty

I finished the SP campaign earlier, the game is terrific. My main issue, however, is the diffculty and the challenge of the puzzles, especially the first 22 test chambers. They were straightforward and not complex at all with a bunch of them being 'introductory' and basic.

I can understand the need to ease-in new players (eventhough its a sequel) or refresh the memory of others but in the case of Portal 2 this phase takes a significant portion of the game and it isn't much satisfying in its difficulty or challenge. There is no ramp-up in the difficulty. Only later on the game becomes more challenging but it isn't enough and doesn't last for too long. In this case i felt like a big sum of the game was being devoted for low-ability players and it did lessen my enjoyment of the game.

And then you hear in the commentary how Valve reduced the difficulty and removed elements because they got feedback from players who are concerned Portal 2 would be hard. It's a shame that Valve seems to lean more towards listening to those who want an easier game than those who want a harder one. The new puzzle elements in Portal 2 are excellent but the feeling i got when playing was that they are barely scratching the surface of what they can do with them in the puzzles.
To judge from memory, Portal 1 was harder.

I don't know why they don't make a story-separate 'Tutorial' section (like that in HL1 for instance) that introduces all the elements that the player will encounter in the campaign. This way the campaign can start right-away with 'meaty' test chambers rather than have the SP campaign wasted on getting every single player on track. This seems a far better solution ( with no real shortcomings) than the one Valve took in Portal 2.

Baha

derFeef said:

No, because it would only cost me $15. If I wanted to read this I'd have to shell out $600 for an ipad. I don't care if he charges for what may or may not be an extensive look into the making of Portal 2 but provide a viable method for me to purchase it instead of making it exclusive to a platform that even he admits the game's audience most likely doesn't own. Way to shit the bed Keighley.

Dina

Beaten it.

Good:
- Graphics are very good, but the design is even better. The large views, the run-down laboratories, the changing backgrounds from hyper-modern testing areas to 1950 ones.
- The addition of the blue, orange and white gel makes for some nice puzzles. Having only puzzles with portals would bore me, I think.
- Sound is good, the voice actors of GLaDoS, Cage Johnson and Wheatey are all brilliant.
- The story, for those that pay attention, is good.
- Lots of attention to detail. Anyone saw the machine assembling the turret drones and packing it in? It's inbetween levels and it looks stunning. Loads of details everywhere. The animation is also top notch, the machines really, really come to life.
- The last 2 chapters are good, the puzzles pick up in difficulty and there is less walking.

Bad:
- Humour works, but gets stale half-way through. I wasn't laughing much after chapter 6.
- In fact, the game takes a nosedive in chapter 6. You're walking more and more, puzzling less and less. Way too many obstacles in this chapter can be solved by falling from a great height into a portal, catapulting you across the room. It sets the stage for the fall of Aperture, but boy is this part boring.
- While old laboratories make for an interesting back-story, the colours are all very drab and gray. Combine this with massive walking and few interesting puzzles, it's a boring 1 to 2 hours you'll be spending before getting to the end.
- Replayability is close to zero. Puzzles can only be solved one way, especially the latter ones. The addition of the gel doesn't improve this.
- It's not that long. It took me about 6 hours and apart from another run at Coop I don't think I'll be back.

AwShucks

Crunched said:

If you actually took over an hour for one puzzle I find 6 hours hard to believe. I don't explore, though I do wait to hear a lot of the talking that goes on for quite a while sometimes. The longest I got stuck was for maybe 10 minutes. I finished in 6.5 hours

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Saty said:
The new puzzle elements in Portal 2 are excellent but the feeling i got when playing was that they are barely scratching the surface of what they can do with them in the puzzles.
To judge from memory, Portal 1 was harder.

This was the popular thought regarding Portal 1 4 years ago(my own as well). A nifty concept wrapped in a well told narrative, but merely an introduction to puzzles and elements that were never taken far enough(P1 isn't as hard as you probably remember). I always expected the sequel would be the 'filler' content that really pushed the concepts, but I guess this isn't quite the case.

I'm still DL my copy off Steam, but I expect a bit more given the four year hiatus.

Brandon F said:
This was the popular thought regarding Portal 1 4 years ago(my own as well). A nifty concept wrapped in a well told narrative, but merely an introduction to puzzles and elements that were never taken far enough(P1 isn't as hard as you probably remember). I always expected the sequel would be the 'filler' content that really pushed the concepts, but I guess this isn't quite the case.

I'm still DL my copy off Steam, but I expect a bit more given the four year hiatus.
Portal 1 honestly feels like a tech demo next to this game. I replayed it twice right before this game came out, and it's quite a difference.

People saying that it's dumbed down or easier have clouded memories of the first.

Medalion

Banned
I am currently stuck in the ruins of the condemned experiment grounds for Aperture Science... I have come across an underground gathering place for potential candidates and was introduced to the voice of the owner of the company... I have no idea what I am supposed to do or find in this huge ass room... I have been jumping from place to place, I even got to a place where there is a MAIN LIFT that goes to the Surface but that place seems to be a dead end, and I cannot figure out how to get to the other "entrance" side, even with making momentum high jump falls to jet myself across the place.

Swear to god, I get desperate to start randomly firing my portal gun at anything in the distance of a door hoping it clings to something

Orellio said:

No one's complaining about the cost of the piece ($2), just the way it's being made available (more like unavailable).

FatBaby

sflufan said:
I would GLADLY purchase this for my Android phone or my PC for MORE than $2.

But an iPad exclusive app? Seriously?

They should of released it on Steam like one of those Prima strategy guide things I keep on seeing.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Medalion said:
I am currently stuck in the ruins of the condemned experiment grounds for Aperture Science... I have come across an underground gathering place for potential candidates and was introduced to the voice of the owner of the company... I have no idea what I am supposed to do or find in this huge ass room... I have been jumping from place to place, I even got to a place where there is a MAIN LIFT that goes to the Surface but that place seems to be a dead end, and I cannot figure out how to get to the other "entrance" side, even with making momentum high jump falls to jet myself across the place.

Swear to god, I get desperate to start randomly firing my portal gun at anything in the distance of a door hoping it clings to something

Clue:
http://i.imgur.com/B7PED.jpg

Answer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cuj912d99X0#t=02m05s

Top Bottom