• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Red

Warrior_Keoni said:
I'm not sure which Portal 2 topic this belongs in but here's forthcoming DLC for Portal 2?

http://www.razerzone.com/minisite/hydra

Buying the Hydra nets you free DLC?
This is cool but it just serves to remind me that M&K controls remain the standard for precision regardless of how many strides are made with motion controllers.

StuBurns said:
Valve didn't make the motion content did they?
Hope not. Can't imagine that's the case. They haven't ever shown it themselves. But this does tenuously explain why Razer hardware was required for one of the PotatoFoolsDay ARG potatoes.

KaYotiX said:
wife and i play on the 360 co-op (60" tv) and its great. Actually really fun solving puzzles together. Wife loves it and the witty comments by Glados

Mind you, it has absolutely no bearing on the gameplay, but there's something highly amusing about Portal 2's co-op on separate systems that would seem to be impossible in split-screen.

GLaDOS occasionally feeds each player different lines to try to turn you against each other.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
StuBurns said:

Nope, that was handled by Razer themselves or another third-party. While Valve are officially supporting the device, they didn't make the Hydra-exclusive content.

webrunner

StuBurns said:

It'd be funny if the new content included the axed Hydra monster from HL2.

I mean everything else axed from HL2 seems to be ending up in the hands of Aperture Science, why not that thing?

panda21

wtf is up with the FOV on the ps3 version? is that just a special effect at the start of the game or is it like that all the way through?

JackEtc

Joe Shlabotnik said:
GLaDOS occasionally feeds each player different lines to try to turn you against each other.
Not really a spoiler, just more of Valve's hilarious jokes. Happened to me, and I was cracking up while my Co-op buddy was on voice chat asking me what was so funny.

Click for larger

FLEABttn

Banned
panda21 said:
wtf is up with the FOV on the ps3 version? is that just a special effect at the start of the game or is it like that all the way through?

It seemed weird to me at first, but it either went away or I got used to it and couldn't tell any longer.

TheExodu5

Banned
dark10x said:
Anyone having any issues with minor juddering on the PC? It's very subtle, but quite annoying. It's similar to Doom 3 engine games before you disable the com_precisetic and com_fixedTic. It's like a tiny hiccup every couple of seconds.

I'm seeing it in Portal 2 in certain areas and I'm not sure why. If I disable v-sync, my framerate goes up to 225+fps so it's clearly not a performance limitation and FRAPS reports my framerate as a solid 60 fps all the time. Things like that really drive me nuts.

I'll probably just go back to the PS3 version for now, but hopefully there is some cvar I can adjust to fix this.
Zero issues, but I'm also running with double buffering (not triple). See if that makes a difference.

Valve uses a really poor triple buffering implementation which adds input lag over double buffering. It's possible this is an issue with buffer switching that causes the juddering. Just a guess.

ultron87

JackEtc said:
Not really a spoiler, just more of Valve's hilarious jokes. Happened to me, and I was cracking up while my Co-op buddy was on voice chat asking me what was so funny.

*screen*

The best part is that when she's doing this she's just saying random bullshit to your teammate, like reading off a list of numbers or saying random foods.

I can't tell if her telling you one player is doing better is it actually judging you or just completely random.

panda21 said:
What do you mean? The FOV is something like 80 (can't tell exactly because the game doesn't have FOV options on PC for some reason), which is great for 16:9. I'd prefer it to be 90, myself, but it's certainly better than the 55 degree FOV we have in Crysis 2 and other FPS's these days.

bucknuticus said:
So my game has been stuttering, pc version. I've messed around with all kinds of settings, the audio will stutter and on a few occasions it has really bad frame drops. I have a good computer so that can't be it, anyone know solutions?

Bumping this

Revolutionary said:
What do you mean? The FOV is something like 80 (can't tell exactly because the game doesn't have FOV options on PC for some reason), which is great for 16:9. I'd prefer it to be 90, myself, but it's certainly better than the 55 degree FOV we have in Crysis 2 and other FPS's these days.
Default FOV is 90.

JackEtc

ultron87 said:
The best part is that when she's doing this she's just saying random bullshit to your teammate, like reading off a list of numbers or saying random foods.

I can't tell if her telling you one player is doing better is it actually judging you or just completely random.
Nah, she constantly was praising me throughout the entire co-op. Even if we disconnect and played later, and I was Atlus instead of P-Body, she would praise any character I was playing.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I ran it with no v-sync or anything (barebacked it) and had no stuttering or performance issues of any kind except that one glass cage shattering.

Revolutionary said:
Is that right? I thought it was slightly lower than that. Awesome.

So yeah, again, I don't understand what's supposedly wrong with the FOV, then.
Yup, still I hope Valve patches in at least the console command working, everyone has different preferences when it comes to FOV.

sn00zer

wind_steaker said:
not natively, though it may be able to be forced like in L4D2
FFFuuuuuuu..... If anyone knows of a way to do this it would be awesome....really want to play through Portal 2 with my siblings...one on kb&m the other on 360 controller

sn00zer said:
FFFuuuuuuu..... If anyone knows of a way to do this it would be awesome....really want to play through Portal 2 with my siblings...one on kb&m the other on 360 controller
Check my reply in the spoiler thread.

sn00zer said:
Yes, that is possible, I search it for you.

EDIT: Beaten.

oatmeal

Banned
Question:

My Mac Pro wouldn't play it with its current graphics card, but I ordered a 13" i5 MBP yesterday and it should be here any minute.

Will I have any luck with that?

sn00zer

*Looks over splitscreen hack"....wtf....c'mon valve I love you dearly but this shoulda been in in the first place....
looks like there are a lot of issues doing this though

sn00zer said:
*Looks over splitscreen hack"....wtf....c'mon valve I love you dearly but this shoulda been in in the first place....
looks like there are a lot of issues doing this though
Yeah it's quite a mess.

sn00zer

Orellio said:
Because split screen is such a standard feature in PC games..
Im REALLY not one to complain about videogames or missing features, but with coop centric games coming out I would love for splitscreen to become more standard, especially when it is featured on other versions.
EDIT: Its the reason I didnt buy L4D or L4D2

webrunner

Valve seems to be locked into the "one mouse one keyboard or one controller one sound device" thing. They dont even let you use a seperate sound device for USB headsets yet...

Meanwhile Trine supports multiple mouse+keyboard setups for coop, deathspank and magicka both also support local coop using 360 controllers.

oatmeal said:
Question:

My Mac Pro wouldn't play it with its current graphics card, but I ordered a 13" i5 MBP yesterday and it should be here any minute.

Will I have any luck with that?
It runs fine on my mid 09 MBP so yeah you should have no problem

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Kotaku already posted about the 'app':

http://kotaku.com/#!5794465/portal-2-wasnt-going-to-include-portals-according-to-new-ipad-app

But there's something interesting:

It's a good place to find out which Half-Life reference was cut from Portal 2

Interesting. I can already think of a significant one.

CyReN

Can you read this on itunes? I rarely ever use itunes. Don't know anyone who owns a iPad since laptops are a few hundred bucks cheaper..

petethepanda said:
It runs fine on my mid 09 MBP so yeah you should have no problem

Don't the 13-inch MacBook Pros only have the 8400/9400 non-discrete cards that are terrible for games? Or did they change that with the new versions?

Medalion

Banned
I must be a prime example of a casual gamer

People are blazing through this game in less than a day almost everywhere I look

I am probably a little under half way through just starting chapter 6

Are u guys really playing to enjoy or rushing to the end? I must not be very clever, how distressing

Top Bottom