• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Looking back at the E3 2010 demo, there were a ton of challenging rooms shown that were cut, and I noticed one that got re-made into Chamber 2. Hopefully they'll release some of those rooms as DLC though.

who wants to explain this

aBfij.jpg

AiTM

Banned
A friend of mine wants to start the coop campaign, but im still early in the single player...will anything be spoiled by starting the coop before I finish the single player?

So, I just got a bunch of Trophies while PSN was down. Will they appear on my Steam account once my trophies sync? Or will I have to get them a second time on the PC?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So is there any way to delete a specific achievement?

I want to see the
Chapter 9
achievement pop up again. Laughed so hard.

PotaDOS: "Well, This Is The Part Where He Hills Us"

Wheatley: "Hello! This Is The Part Where I Kill You"

Chapter Note: "Chapter 9: The Part Where He Kills You"

Achievement Unlocked: "The Part Where He Kills You (This Is That Part)"

Zomba13

AiTM said:
A friend of mine wants to start the coop campaign, but im still early in the single player...will anything be spoiled by starting the coop before I finish the single player?
Some gameplay features will be spoilt and the ending might spoil stuff.

I did co-op first btw and didn't feel spoiled story wise.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
trippy picture

what happens when you go through the portals?

Anyways, working on chapter 4 and this game is something else.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Can we please take a moment to talk about that one part in the game where you can see a machine assembling and packaging turret sentries?

Out of all the amazing animation-based shit in the game, that blew me away the most. It looked so good... like a Pixar film in action.

We need a GIF of this, pronto.

DatBreh

Banned
Based on all the different elements that were on display in this game im sure Valve can make some downright devious challenge maps later down the line. They could do things like boxes sliding on orange gel, catapulting across huge gaps and having to create light bridges in mid air, having to transport gel using transport fields around all around a level, etc...

kai3345

Banned
InfiniteNine said:
Got mine a bit after it shipped.
Maybe im just not looking in the right place. Where would I see if I have it or not? I assumed I would be given an option to use it at checkout, but there wasn't one

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
kai3345 said:
Maybe im just not looking in the right place. Where would I see if I have it or not? I assumed I would be given an option to use it at checkout, but there wasn't one

Should have gotten and Email that you got it, got mine the day after it shipped.

TaKeRx

I love the part where
Wheatley gives us tips on how to hack a machine
. It was almost 2 minutes I believe. <3 Valve

IceMarker

Treefingers said:
Looking back at the E3 2010 demo, there were a ton of challenging rooms shown that were cut, and I noticed one that got re-made into Chamber 2. Hopefully they'll release some of those rooms as DLC though.
This.

Yeef

The vents probably evolved into the excursion funnels. They serve a very similar purpose and are a bit more elegant. I'd also argue that they work better for the sorts of puzzles Portal lends itself to considering both the player and other objects can travel in them.

JRW

I just learned you can enable dynamic lighting around your portals, It's a cool effect here's an example pic I just took.

Normally portals wouldnt light up nearby walls etc. like that.

You just go to Portal 2 launch options in Steam and add +r_portal_use_dlights 1

Props goes to this thread.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Mr. Spinnington said:

Division by zero?

JRW said:
I just learned you can enable dynamic lighting around your portals, It's a cool effect here's an example pic I just took.

Normally portals wouldnt light up nearby walls etc. like that.

You just go to Portal 2 launch options in Steam and add +r_portal_use_dlights 1

Props goes to this thread.

Awesome. I'll be sure to enable that.

EVIL

fuuu, don't have an ipad. any idea on how to read it without an ipad? I am curious as to what the non portal gameplay mechanic would be.

GlamFM

Banned
EVIL said:
fuuu, don't have an ipad. any idea on how to read it without an ipad? I am curious as to what the non portal gameplay mechanic would be.

It´s very interactive - with movies and stuff. Maybe there will be a text only version at some point.

Zzoram

AiTM said:

Solution, beat the single player campaign ASAP, then play co-op.

so I was noticing in portal 2 with no vsync enabled my gpu was 80-90c avg I checked my fps and they were around 200+ this is on a 280gtx, obviously it depends on the scene but thats when I checked it. So I used fps_max and put it at 70 and I noticed my gpu temps averaging in 70s underload now, (the thought occured to me because of back when starcraft 2 was rendering the menus at like 300 fps and burning up peoples cards).

I dont know if its all placebo, but it seems to have lowered my temp issue, normally I idle around 65 underload in most games, so when I was in the 80-90s for portal 2 I was a bit puzzled.

console commands:

fps_max (insert number here, i used 70)
cl_showfps (0 is off 1 is on)

plus I noticed the mouselag immediately with vsync turned on so Id rather deal with tearing.

checked around the net and yeah pretty much across the board that will work with any game, less work to hit a predefined limit less heat etc. Derp I solved my own irl puzzle.. ahhhhhhh! ;)

MNC

ZombieSupaStar said:
console commands:

fps_max (insert number here, i used 70)
cl_showfps (0 is off 1 is on)

cl_showfps 2 is a bit nicer, it averages it out and doesn't show every single fluctuation of the framerate.

Divius

Alright, I beat the co-op yesterday, that was fun and at points quite challenging. It kinda sucks playing a friend who played it before and knows exactly what to do and basically spoiling the solution by instantly saying what you need to do.

Also on my second singleplayer playthrough and achievement hunting! 40/50. (of which 9 are co-op related)

Medalion

Banned
I am finally at Chapter 7 with the room testing out the Acceleration Gel, I have
Potato-GlaDoS
with me, hilarious btw... I gotta figure out now how get across all these chasms I assume with this acceleration gel... I am ashamed to say as I am getting to the 2nd half of the game I am requiring more video help than I was hoping.

StuBurns

Banned
Medalion said:
I am finally at Chapter 7 with the room testing out the Acceleration Gel, I have
Potato-GlaDoS
with me, hilarious btw... I gotta figure out now how get across all these chasms I assume with this acceleration gel... I am ashamed to say as I am getting to the 2nd half of the game I am requiring more video help than I was hoping.
Oddly I'd say you're about to reach the difficulty peak of the game (the next chapter), it gets easier.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Medalion said:
Potato-GlaDoS

Looking up answers to a puzzle game? Isn't the whole point solving them?

Top Bottom