• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Completed the single player mode yesterday. What an amazing game, had to force myself to stop playing or else I would have gone through it in a single sitting. Time to find someone who hasn't already beaten the coop campaign to tackle it together.

Nessus

DatBreh said:
Based on all the different elements that were on display in this game im sure Valve can make some downright devious challenge maps later down the line. They could do things like boxes sliding on orange gel, catapulting across huge gaps and having to create light bridges in mid air, having to transport gel using transport fields around all around a level, etc...

I really, really hope they do.

I loved the game, and do not for one moment regret buying it, but I've finished the single player and co-op campaign and there's not much else to do.

I keep hoping they come up with another multiplayer mode that can be played indefinitely.

Wonder how hard it'd be to make procedurally-generated puzzles. Don't worry about fancy art assets, set the levels in the sterile Aperture test chambers. Let the computer randomly generate puzzles based on knowing what is physically possible in the game, and using broad templates and stringing them all together.

And just set it up in an Endless mode, preferably co-op, but single player would be great too.

Obviously those puzzles wouldn't be as good as human created ones, not by a long shot, but it could be a nice time waster with a friend.

r1chard

Wow, that was fun. Such great writing, such devious puzzles. Such a great sense of accomplishment solving them. Pretty awesome ending too.

Now to take a break and then look at playing some co-op.

Feep

Banned
Nessus said:
Wonder how hard it'd be to make procedurally-generated puzzles. Don't worry about fancy art assets, set the levels in the sterile Aperture test chambers. Let the computer randomly generate puzzles based on knowing what is physically possible in the game, and using broad templates and stringing them all together.
Creating effective puzzles is a highly creative process. Artificial Intelligence (outside of Aperture) is about thirty years away from this kind of process.

So, uh, this won't be happening.

Daigoro

Just finished single player. Crazy!

Probably took me longer than average. Some of those rooms took me a good chunk of time. They brought me just to the brink of frustration before id solve them.

I can't believe there's a whole co-op mode to go through now. I'm going to need someone good at puzzles to help out with that.

r1chard

One thing I am a little confused by -- I never actually noticed when
potato-glados got attached to the portal gun
.. I must've blinked or something. Just suddenly at the start of a level (and I can't remember which one)
she was there

r1chard said:
One thing I am a little confused by -- I never actually noticed when
potato-glados got attached to the portal gun
.. I must've blinked or something. Just suddenly at the start of a level (and I can't remember which one)
she was there

Is is when you get her from the nest.

Riposte

Really polished game, but pretty simplistic and with mostly easy puzzles. A good distraction thanks to the cool mechanics, like the first one, but much longer at least(maybe too long?).

r1chard

Prophet Steve said:
Is is when you get her from the nest.
I'm pretty sure I didn't do that. Hmm. Re-playing that whole section of the game to see...

Edit: Wow,
OK, I've reached the bit with the nest. I can see why I missed it last time and why she just appeared afterwards... I didn't go through that part of the office when I did that bit of the level - I just portal-jumped right over the top of the big O in the Aperture Science logo!
:)

So I've just encountered one of the funniest moments I've ever been subjected to in a video game...

the defective turret line

Oh God, the stuff they were coming out with. Even more priceless is when you turn the tables and
they aren't considered defective anymore.

"Okay pal, it's your funeral. Muwahahaha!"

Sent

Acquiescence said:
So I've just encountered one of the funniest moments I've ever been subjected to in a video game...

the defective turret line

Oh God, the stuff they were coming out with. Even more priceless is when you turn the tables and
they aren't considered defective anymore.

"Okay pal, it's your funeral. Muwahahaha!"

Defective portal tracks --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_wduPpNyv0

All these black boxes ;_; I need to beat the game so bad.

I sort of rage quit just now after not being able to find my way out of this place. It's just after
the testing area with the smaller propulsion gel blobs.
There's a couple of gray walls but everything else is metal and I can't find anywhere to portal to that would lead me out.

I've been able to do all of the puzzles with relative ease, but I just don't know how I'm meant to get to the next testing area.

EVIL

Medalion said:
I am finally at Chapter 7 with the room testing out the Acceleration Gel, I have
Potato-GlaDoS
with me, hilarious btw... I gotta figure out now how get across all these chasms I assume with this acceleration gel... I am ashamed to say as I am getting to the 2nd half of the game I am requiring more video help than I was hoping.
Really? Its oke to be stumped for a couple of minutes, the puzzles are pretty easy, it just takes a bit of time to figure out what to do. I'd say you took allot of the fun and the AHA! moment away by checking out walk-troughs.

the solution is mostly allot simpler then you would think

Jintor

Mechanical Snowman said:

I sort of rage quit just now after not being able to find my way out of this place. It's just after
There's a couple of gray walls but everything else is metal and I can't find anywhere to portal to that would lead me out.

I've been able to do all of the puzzles with relative ease, but I just don't know how I'm meant to get to the next testing area.

Any more information on where you are? Even Cave's recent dialogue would help.

JADS

Mechanical Snowman said:

Is that the room with
A sign that says "Accidents Hurt ... Safety First!"
in it? I am stuck in that room as well ...

Edit: Ok that is genius, can't believe I was stuck in that room for a solid 40 minutes while the solution is so simple.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Something that's kinda bugged me after my second playthrough (Developer Commentary run).

It's something i noticed in the HL2:Ep2 commentary also, and probably in Portal 1, that you get a lot of;
"In this map, we found playtesters struggling with X". And then X got removed or severely dumbed down to the point where it's glaringly obvious what you have to do.
Seems ANYTHING playtesters struggle with at all with be removed or dumbed down.

Medalion

Banned
Okie dokie

I am now at Chapter 8

I am in the middle of solving one of Wheatley's more elaborate puzzles where he has combined a bunch of smaller tests into one with huge chasms and anti-gravity things... I've been playing for awhile... gotta get some sleep!

Great game, but I was a little disappointed in the end. It never really felt like they opened up and let you use all of your skills at once. I loved the
light bridges
, but they were introduced and forgotten. It just felt like there should have been a big room that was extra challenging bringing everything together. Also, playing through a second time, it doesn't feel like there are many rooms where you can use your knowledge from the first play through and come up with alternate paths.

I'm now playing through co-op with my 5 year old, so maybe I'll find more challenging levels there.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Cyborg said:
How long is the SP? Or how short is it?

Took me around 8~9 hours for the first time through and I've played through the original about half a dozen times. For most people it's a 7-8 hour campaign the first time through. Since it's a puzzle game first and foremost the length really depends on how quickly you're able to wrap your head around the various puzzles.

Steam's timer for the game was/is broken, so take initial completion times of 5 hours or less with a grain of salt.

gdt

Cyborg said:
How long is the SP? Or how short is it?

I have to be like 6-7 hours in, and I think I hit the last third of the game. Chap 7, anyway.

So, it's a great length, and more importantly, it hasn't felt padded out yet. Awesomely paced.

Only played about 30 minutes because it's late, but damn it's already great. I'm kinda glad I have a bunch of work to do, because I'll be forced to take my time with it.

Just beat it. o_O at the ending, that's some ridiculous stuff. Song is awesome, though I was hoping that The National's song
wasn't just in a Ratman den near the beginning
. Need to play more co-op.

Should I have the Ship Overboard achievement yet, seeing as I've beaten SP but not co-op?

Green Scar said:
Just beat it. o_O at the ending, that's some ridiculous stuff. Song is awesome, though I was hoping that The National's song
wasn't just in a Ratman den near the beginning
. Need to play more co-op.

Should I have the Ship Overboard achievement yet, seeing as I've beaten SP but not co-op?

You get it in single player, but only by exploring.

DieH@rd

Banned
Duebrithil said:
Completed the single player mode yesterday. What an amazing game, had to force myself to stop playing or else I would have gone through it in a single sitting. Time to find someone who hasn't already beaten the coop campaign to tackle it together.

Ive sent you steam friend request. If you are still up for coop give me a call.

JaseC

Green Scar said:
Yup, saw that just now in the spoiler thread.

fuck valve

Haha, I just love that
the achievement/trophy name and description are worded very slyly and everybody who expected something of substance (i.e. everybody) got trolled

JaseC said:
Haha, I just love that
the achievement/trophy name and description are worded very slyly and everybody who expected something of substance (i.e. everybody) got trolled
It does say 'discover the missing experiment' which would imply you actually find the technology on it. The achievement should have just said 'discover the missing boat'.

StuBurns

Banned
JaseC said:
Haha, I just love that
When you say slyly, you mean lying right? Or is there a different reading to the description that isn't a lie?

EDIT: I got it! Genius.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
TheExodu5 said:
Actually the excursion funnel video was posted before the vents...so they were just removed entirely.
They will likely be in the level editor, and my gut says Valve will release some maps they made that make use of them in a later patch or DLC. I can see the vents and funnles together making some instrsting Co Op puzzles.

Drkirby said:
They will likely be in the level editor, and my gut says Valve will release some maps they made that make use of them in a later patch or DLC. I can see the vents and funnles together making some instrsting Co Op puzzles.

They'd present some great griefing opportunities in co-op

Just finished it! Really enjoyed it.

Poor Wheatley! From what the game's story tells us, it wasn't Wheatley's fault the way he became corrupted once he became attached to the core. Damn, man. I feel so sorry for him.

Anyway...GotG. Valve really outdid themselves. Also might be my favorite game of all time, but we'll see about that. Depends on if I go back to it regularly. I go back to HL2 and Halo (Reach) all the time.

Also, can anyone tell me what chapter "ship overboard" is? I didn't find it but I wanna find it myself (with a little help).

JADS said:
Is that the room with
A sign that says "Accidents Hurt ... Safety First!"
in it? I am stuck in that room as well ...

Edit: Ok that is genius, can't believe I was stuck in that room for a solid 40 minutes while the solution is so simple.
I think so, I definitely remember seeing that recently, but I'm not in a room.

Jintor said:
Any more information on where you are? Even Cave's recent dialogue would help.
He says way too much crap for me to remember it all, but It's a bit after he says something about
the chips implemented in people's skulls going to 500 degrees
or something. And it's not a testing room, it's the outside bit with the metal walk ways. I'm sure I just didn't look hard enough, as it is usually with this game I'm looking for the wrong thing or overestimating the complexity, when it's probably something stupidly simple.

I'll get back on it in a bit and have another look.

EDIT: sonofabitch, okay I'm out. Can't believe I didn't figure it out sooner.

JaseC

StuBurns said:
When you say slyly, you mean lying right? Or is there a different reading to the description that isn't a lie?

In this particular instance,
"Discover the missing experiment"
doesn't mean
"Find the experiment that is missing"
, but rather
"Discover/learn/find out that the experiment is missing"

Edit: Ah, I see you've found that out discovered that for yourself!

darkpaladinmfc said:
It does say 'discover the missing experiment' which would imply you actually find the technology on it. The achievement should have just said 'discover the missing boat'.

Cave suggested that the teleportation technology is in the drydock room of the Borealis, and as such I would imagine the technology itself wasn't the experiment, but rather the goal of teleporting something of large size was

Dax01 said:
Just finished it! Really enjoyed it.

Poor Wheatley! From what the game's story tells us, it wasn't Wheatley's fault the way he became corrupted once he became attached to the core. Damn, man. I feel so sorry for him.

Well, he's still alive. So don't feel too bad. Better GLaDOS be in control than him, either way.

StuBurns

Banned
Dax01 said:
Anyway...GotG. Valve really outdid themselves. Also might be my favorite game of all time, but we'll see about that. Depends on if I go back to it regularly. I go back to HL2 and Halo (Reach) all the time.

Also, can anyone tell me what chapter "ship overboard" is? I didn't find it but I wanna find it myself (with a little help).
Big praise. I think it's my favorite game since Portal, but I think Portal is better.

Ship Overboard is in Chapter Six.

JWong

Banned
Sooooo... really, there is cross-platform saves.

In the sense that progression on one system is unlocked for the other via Chapter select.

Playing with commentary now.

JaseC

Zeliard said:
Have you guys checked out the commentary yet? Good stuffs?

Consensus seems to be that it's a little lacking compared to the commentary seen in Valve's previous games.

Top Bottom