• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Thanks, StuBurns.

Also, I agree with other sentiments about
the visuals of the finale. While you were ascending in the elevator with the turrets and stuff, I was sitting there trying to move my player. Why didn't Valve give me the control? Also, further on, when you're out in that field, I was wishing I could control my player.
But, really, other than that, I don't have any complaints.

Well...
Wheatley :*(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Zeliard said:
So long as it includes enough of Ellen McLain's mesmerizing voice, it's all good. :p

You just made me realise I've never heard her real speaking voice. :eek:

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
JaseC said:
You just made me realise I've never heard her real speaking voice. :eek:

Portal commentary.

Go do it.

Now.

JaseC

EatChildren said:
Portal commentary.

Go do it.

Now.

I've been meaning to do that since forever.

Zeliard said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSU4YBkZtSs

Her voice is fairly amazing.

She has a laugh at 3:02 that's quite something. I love how she basically stays "in character" as far as just conveying a general sense of malice. :p I'm a big fan.

I only listened to a little bit, but I know I would listen to her talk about paint drying all day long.

BenjaminBirdie said:
She didn't voice Caroline?

That's right, she did. Maybe I'm misremembering, but her Portal commentary sounds different to
Caroline's voice, if only slightly

StuBurns said:
If you want a more specific location but still fairly vague let me know, a whole chapter is a lot to comb thru.
Dude, man, this game is fun. And I'll do it with commentary on!

For anyone who has gone through co-op, are there a lot of funny moments like in the SP? I'm gonna go through it with my best friend later.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dax01 said:

For anyone who has gone through co-op, are there a lot of funny moments like in the SP? I'm gonna go through it with my best friend later.
I found it just as funny. The Glados dialogue is top-notch.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dax01 said:

Co-op is hillarious. GlaDOS is just as funny, if not more so, when she's giving the two bots shit. She's like an abusive mother.

ultron87

So did beating the game on PS3 while PSN was down make me miss out on Steam achievements? Or will it sync up the next time I connect?

If I did miss out, can I get them by going through the game again with commentary on?

Daigoro

Dax01 said:

yes. its awesome. i started it this morning.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Drkirby said:
They will likely be in the level editor, and my gut says Valve will release some maps they made that make use of them in a later patch or DLC. I can see the vents and funnles together making some instrsting Co Op puzzles.
They were removed by Valve's "higher-ups" during their run-through of the team's work because they "weren't working well".

It's very interesting to hear about how Wheatley's role changed as development went on. I could have sworn they mentioned back at E3 that you'd interact withother personality spheres, and what would you know, you did up until fairly late in development. It really is amazing how late everything comes together.

StuBurns

Banned
Zeliard said:
"The little song" she's oddly scary and cute. I love Glados.

Portal 2 ending spoiler warning, don't highlight this:
I was surprised how well she sang the credit song this time, I didn't know she was a singer, but it's a lot wider ranged vocally, holding notes longer too. Much better actually, although doesn't have the novelty of the original one

StuBurns said:
"The little song" she's oddly scary and cute. I love Glados.

Portal 2 ending spoiler warning, don't highlight this:
I was surprised how well she sang the credit song this time, I didn't know she was a singer, but it's a lot wider ranged vocally, holding notes longer too. Much better actually, although doesn't have the novelty of the original one

I thought
it blew Still Alive away. Maybe because 2 is such a bigger, more emotionally engaging, and more ambitious game than 1, I thought the song was as well. In terms of sentiment and emotional content, it's not even a fair fight.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Still working my way through. Can't believe how amazing it has been thus far. Part way through Chapter 6 now and the atmosphere has simply been off the charts. I also happen to think this game delivers some of the finest pacing in Valve's history. Just an amazing buildup to major events with the events themselves totally delivering. Really impressive stuff.

JaseC

dark10x said:
Still working my way through. Can't believe how amazing it has been thus far. Part way through Chapter 6 now and the atmosphere has simply been off the charts. I also happen to think this game delivers some of the finest pacing in Valve's history. Just an amazing buildup to major events with the events themselves totally delivering. Really impressive stuff.

The game really is a culmination of everything Valve has learned over the many years since the original Half-Life and beyond. Utterly brilliant stuff. I can't wait to see how Episode Three will benefit.

ultron87

BenjaminBirdie said:
I thought
it blew Still Alive away. Maybe because 2 is such a bigger, more emotionally engaging, and more ambitious game than 1, I thought the song was as well. In terms of sentiment and emotional content, it's not even a fair fight.

Still Alive is way funnier though.

StuBurns

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
I thought
I completely agree.
I think it's wonderful, last time I just thought it was funny. But I don't think it has the novelty the first did, I don't think people will care as much generally. It's also a much longer game and not part of the Orange Box so inherently less people will hear it I think. And ultron87 is right, Still Alive is much funnier.

I think Portal is better than Portal 2, but the song certainly isn't.

EDIT: The fucking loading is terrible in Portal 2, I can't speak to the 360 version, and PC will depend on your system, but on PS3 it was horrible.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
JaseC said:
The game really is a culmination of everything Valve has learned over the many years since the original Half-Life and beyond. Utterly brilliant stuff. I can't wait to see how Episode Three will benefit.
I'm kind of hoping there is no Episode 3 and they simply jump to Half-Life 3.

I also hope they finally find some way to sort out the loading issues with Source. I feel as if that aspect of the engine is really limiting them. They've managed to do so much despite it, but removing loading screens would have improved several of the scenes even more. It's the one problem Valve has continued to struggle with and I'm surprised they've yet to find a decent solution.

Really, though, that's the only complaint I can level at the game.

How addictive is the coop mode, are people likely to play it over past completion and play it over and over again?

Or is it a one or two playthrough and your done kinda thing.

StuBurns said:
EDIT: The fucking loading is terrible in Portal 2, I can't speak to the 360 version, and PC will depend on your system, but on PS3 it was horrible.
It's like ten seconds on average on the 360 version when installed on the hard drive.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
scorpscarx said:
How addictive is the coop mode, are people likely to play it over past completion and play it over and over again?

Or is it a one or two playthrough and your done kinda thing.
Unless you want to... like, do speed runs (and there is no impetus for that, that I know of) you should be solid after one run through. Maybe two if you have another buddy who needs a partner.

JaseC

dark10x said:

While I'm also expecting the game to be a full-length title, I think they'll be keeping the Episode moniker simply because they've stated in the past that the Episodes will end the Half-Life 2 story arc. While this purpose can obviously be fulfilled with Half-Life 3, it makes more sense to finish the Half-Life 2 story arc as intended thereby leaving Half-Life 3 as the starting platform for a new story arc, as Half-Life and Half-Life 2 were before it.

I also hope they finally find some way to sort out the loading issues with Source. I feel as if that aspect of the engine is really limiting them. They've managed to do so much despite it, but removing loading screens would have improved several of the scenes even more. It's the one problem Valve has continued to struggle with and I'm surprised they've yet to find a decent solution.

Really, though, that's the only complaint I can level at the game.

I know I'm greatly simplifying it here, but what they really should do is make a tiered data caching system based on the amount of RAM the player's machine has. Keep the frequent loading screens for current-gen consoles and lower-spec PCs and allow those with higher amounts of RAM to store a greater number of levels.

Zeliard

dark10x said:

They should close out the arc and let you smack around a few Advisors in revenge, but after this length of time, Episode 3 should ideally just occupy a sort of extended prologue section of Half-Life 3.

Seems likely they'll just release Episode 3 first as planned, though, especially since it'll give them more breathing room before releasing HL3 in 2015.

Oxx

And I'm done.

Amazing.

And now I can finally highlight spoilers and listen to podcasts again!

It took me 12 hours. Twice as long as the first game.

Veal

Dax01 said:
Thanks, StuBurns.

Also, I agree with other sentiments about
the visuals of the finale. While you were ascending in the elevator with the turrets and stuff, I was sitting there trying to move my player. Why didn't Valve give me the control? Also, further on, when you're out in that field, I was wishing I could control my player.
But, really, other than that, I don't have any complaints.

Well...
Wheatley :*(
Those were prerendered mang

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished this last night, and I'm still kind of in that "blown away" state. What an amazing game. It took me 9 hours according to Steam and I played it over a couple of nights.

I didn't feel like any part of the game dragged or felt unnecessary. Some of the puzzles were really challenging, but I wasn't frustrated by any of them like I was with a couple in the first Portal. Everything felt perfectly paced.

Portal 2 has already joined the ranks of my favorite games of all time and I haven't even touched the co-op mode yet.

EatChildren

Or Half-Life 2.

Okay not quite.

Feindflug

I finally got the 360 version a few hours ago and all the hype here is killing me, I already played some levels on a friend but I'm curious to see what's further in the game...loved what I saw though.

Can't wait to start the game later tonight. :)

"Do not get yourself covered in repulsion gel! But don't worry, the lab boys tell me what you should do if you get covered in repulsion gel." *flips pages* "Do no get covered in repulsion gel."
Not exactly what he says, but close.

big ander

Gah, hate when I feel like I've missed out on sharing a game with GAF. Stupid school. So in going to share my experience so far and then read the last 1000 posts or so :p
I was able to beat single player by playing on 4/19 from midnight to 4am, then 3pm to 5:30pm. So so damn good. Wish I could be playing so much more. Impressions:
-I fucking love Merchant and had no idea he was in this. Wheatley is fuckin amazing. Seriously. FUCKING BRILLIANT.
-The lighting and art are just plain phenomenal. Each chapter and area type has an amazing feel. I think my favorites were old aperture and the beginning chamber where you first get the portal gun.
-GLADOS AS A POTATO. Holy shit so hilarious. I couldn't handle it.
-I loved every new mechanic and how easy they were to grab.
-Difficulty was spot-on. In the first there were puzzles that I spent full hours on my first time. With 2, there weren't any puzzles like that, but every few puzzles I'd spend a good 15 minutes on. It's the perfect balance of work and reward.
-Just everything about the plot is spectacular. An evil dumbass, a scheming potato, and your eventual escape (cube in tow) all happen. AND YOU SHOOT THE FUCKIN MOON. Not to mention the actual writing.
-I liked "Want You Gone" a lot. Not as much as Still Alive, though.
-Off the top of my head, 2 chambers I was stuck on: 1) the one with the discouragement grid and a laser and a direction cube, where you actually just stand on the cube to shoot the proper portals to open the door. 2) The underground one where a small amount of repulsion gel is dripping and you need to shoot it on the wall, fall a long way, shoot into the gel, and bounce far up.
-I found most achievements very easy so far. Only a few SP ones I don't have yet, all without a guide.

So yeah, my intense feelings of love for this single player game can be summarized with this:
SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

I only just got to start co op, through 3 chambers. The puzzles there are even more fun, and the writing and humor are just as great. I think my only complaint is that Atlases portals should have been blue and green or something. Indigo and light blue aren't far enough apart.
The end to chamber three is one of the best puzzles in all of Portal. My friend and I were ecstatic when we got it.

Now to see what more of GAF thought!

JaseC

EatChildren said:
Or Half-Life 2.

Okay not quite.

I'm aware of her role in the Half-Life 2 games, but it's been a bajillion years since I've played through them. Saving another play-through for a saga run when Episode Three is around the corner.
Ha!

Come to think of it, said saga run will also mark the first time I've played through the original Half-Life in its entirety since I received it for my 11th birthday way back in May 1999. It'll be like playing through it for the first time all over again, and it's going to be glorious.

Also,
Want You Gone sounds more like a song a robot would write. I'm probably a little biased as I haven't stopped listening to it for the past 36 hours.

JaseC

BenjaminBirdie said:
Also,
Want You Gone sounds more like a song a robot would write. I'm probably a little biased as I haven't stopped listening to it for the past 36 hours.

I can't stop listening to the
turret opera song
. It's so damn good. I really hope there's a full version of it floating around at Valve somewhere and it's released at some point. If there isn't, they need to get Ellen back in and record one.

JaseC said:
I can't stop listening to the
turret opera song
. It's so damn good. I really hope there's a full version of it floating around at Valve somewhere and it's released at some point. If there isn't, they need to get Ellen back in and record one.

Yeah, I played through the end game a few times
just here both that and Want You Gone. Anyone know what the Opera is saying? I recognized "Que Lastima," "How Sad"...

I like how through Chapter 6
you're "progressing" through time. There are buildings that have years on them, and as you progress through the chapters, the years get more and more recent.

EatChildren

The best part about the
turret opera
is the
animal king turret
in the background.

Dax01 said:
I like how through Chapter 6
you're "progressing" through time. There are buildings that have years on them, and as you progress through the chapters, the years get more and more recent.

You're also seeing the
decay in Aperture's financial situation and protocol. The office material cheapens, Cave gets bitter, and their means of test subjects goes from high profile citizens (astronauts/athletes) to hobos.

BenjaminBirdie said:
just here both that and Want You Gone. Anyone know what the Opera is saying? I recognized "Que Lastima," "How Sad"...
Cara bel, cara mia bella. Mia bambina, a tra che la stima che la stima. A cara mia, addio! Mia bambina cara, perche non passi lontana si lontana da scienza? Cara cara mia bambina. A mia bel. A mia cara. A mia cara. A mia bambina. A cara, cari a mi!

(My dear, beautiful darling, my child that i admire.To my dear, farewell! My dear girl, why not walk far away from science? My dear, dear girl. To my lovely. To my dear. To my dear. To my child, My dear, dear to me!)

:,)

Barrett2

Still in ch 5, very slowly going through the game.

So far, this is goddamn amazing. These puzzles are so clever, the atmosphere so immersive. Loving every minute of it.

JaseC

BenjaminBirdie said:

There's a (Google Translate?) translation in the spoiler thread.

Edit: There's also one just above. I'm blind!

EatChildren said:
The best part about the
turret opera
is the
animal king turret
in the background.

I can't believe I missed that when I finished the game.

Top Bottom