• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Treefingers said:
Cara bel, cara mia bella. Mia bambina, a tra che la stima che la stima. A cara mia, addio! Mia bambina cara, perche non passi lontana si lontana da scienza? Cara cara mia bambina. A mia bel. A mia cara. A mia cara. A mia bambina. A cara, cari a mi!

(My dear, beautiful darling, my child that i admire.To my dear, farewell! My dear girl, why not walk far away from science? My dear, dear girl. To my lovely. To my dear. To my dear. To my child, My dear, dear to me!)

:,)

:O

Chills!!

lawblob said:
Still in ch 5, very slowly going through the game.

So far, this is goddamn amazing. These puzzles are so clever, the atmosphere so immersive. Loving every minute of it.

Yeah toward the end of chapter 4 there are some creative puzzles and Ch.5 does a good job of mixing the formula up. Loving ch.4 and 5 and hopefully that continues :)

EatChildren said:
You're also seeing the
decay in Aperture's financial situation and protocol. The office material cheapens, Cave gets bitter, and their means of test subjects goes from high profile citizens (astronauts/athletes) to hobos.
Oh yeah! Didn't notice that. Loved the whole
$60 bit
too.

ultron87 said:
So did beating the game on PS3 while PSN was down make me miss out on Steam achievements? Or will it sync up the next time I connect?

If I did miss out, can I get them by going through the game again with commentary on?
i'd like to know too

big ander

Treefingers said:
Cara bel, cara mia bella. Mia bambina, a tra che la stima che la stima. A cara mia, addio! Mia bambina cara, perche non passi lontana si lontana da scienza? Cara cara mia bambina. A mia bel. A mia cara. A mia cara. A mia bambina. A cara, cari a mi!

(My dear, beautiful darling, my child that i admire.To my dear, farewell! My dear girl, why not walk far away from science? My dear, dear girl. To my lovely. To my dear. To my dear. To my child, My dear, dear to me!)

:,)
Tears :,)

Always-honest said:
i'd like to know too
Well, I dont know the affect of the PSN being down but when it was up I played the first 3 chapters without linking my PSN to my steam and when I finally did so I had the acheivements from the first three chapters. I believe what is happening is that the steam cloud syncs with your trophy data but dont quote me on that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Does anybody else get mouse lag with v-sync in Source games? I've always had this problem with Source engine games, yet not with anything else. Tripple buffering is on too, but there's still a tiny bit of mouse lage from time to time.

So now I need to to do the Smash TV achievement, then I'm done with all the single player ones. And then I need to do the rest of the co-op ones too. :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
EatChildren said:
Does anybody else get mouse lag with v-sync in Source games? I've always had this problem with Source engine games, yet not with anything else. Tripple buffering is on too, but there's still a tiny bit of mouse lage from time to time.

I played with triple-buffering enabled and didn't notice anything.

KScorp

EatChildren said:

Yeah, I can't play with double buffering vsync, I'm really sensitive to mouse lag. It's still there with triple buffering, but a huge improvement over double. The shearing was terrible without any vsync for me, so I was able to adjust to the small lag.

TheExodu5

Banned
Double buffering vsync in Source engine games has no (appreciable) mouse lag, as long as you stay over 60fps.

It's clear that Valve's triple buffering implementation displays the oldest buffer, instead of setting a pointer to the newest buffer, which causes an extra frame of delay. (that's my guess, at least)

Paznos

Finished the game and wow! had a blast loved every bit of it not sure how many hours it took to finish but probably around 9ish now to find someone to co-op with whenever the PSN is back up and running. Only really got stumped on a few puzzles towards the end of Chapter 7 and 8 I believe but took my time and loved it.

Acidote

I've started playing the game today, around 5 hours and a half ago, and the single player is over. I've found the game way easier than the first installment. Maybe because I was already used to portals.

Paznos

lawblob said:
Still in ch 5, very slowly going through the game.

So far, this is goddamn amazing. These puzzles are so clever, the atmosphere so immersive. Loving every minute of it.
Yeah that's how I played went pretty slowly through the game and immersed myself in the world so awesome.

marjo

You're also seeing the
decay in Aperture's financial situation and protocol. The office material cheapens, Cave gets bitter, and their means of test subjects goes from high profile citizens (astronauts/athletes) to hobos.

Which is why
the chapter being called 'The Fall' is so clever.

I just started chapter 8 the game is SO amazing!

I disliked chapter 6 and 7
The puzzles were still fun but the setting was not that interesting to me, as soon as I got back to the futuristic test rooms I got that warm feeling again.

CyReN

JetBlackPanda said:

The puzzles were still fun but the setting was not that interesting to me, as soon as I got back to the futuristic test rooms I got that warm feeling again.

How can you not like Cave Johnson? :(

JaseC

JetBlackPanda said:

It is literally impossible for me to disagree more. I absolutely loved the
dilapidated areas of yesteryear Aperture Science. It's where Valve's arguably peerless art direction comes into full swing and I know I'm not the only one who got an almost jolting BioShock vibe, greatly helped by Cave Johnson's Ryan-esque descent into madness as a result of an almost parasitic ideological goal that is falling apart at the seams. These areas, while perhaps not the best the game has to offer in the gameplay space, are by far my favourite areas of the game for the atmosphere they provide. Every time I reminisce about the experience of playing through Portal 2, they're the first that come to mind

JaseC said:
dilapidated areas of yesteryear Aperture Science. It's where Valve's arguably peerless art direction comes into full swing and I know I'm not the only one who got an almost jolting BioShock vibe, greatly helped by Cave Johnson's Ryan-esque descent into madness as a result of an almost parasitic ideological goal that is falling apart at the seams. These areas, while perhaps not the best the game has to offer in the gameplay space, are by far my favourite areas of the game for the atmosphere they provide. Every time I reminisce about the experience of playing through Portal 2, they're the first that come to mind

I can see that.
I really enjoy the puzzle aspect of the test chambers, Solve 1 move to 2 the openness of the test spheres was kind of intimidating for me.

JaseC said:

100% agreed. Even just the
lo fi textures. Paint on wood and concrete. So evocative.

JaseC

BenjaminBirdie said:
100% agreed. Even just the
lo fi textures. Paint on wood and concrete. So evocative.

You jest, but if you squint hard enough they make as smiley face.

Edit: I apologise if you actually are agreeing with me. I interpreted your post as sarcasm despite the former half as the latter half sounds like something somebody who disagreed would say jokingly.

chuckywang

Neo Member
What's the Aperture Science name for the catapult that launches you into the air? Not the aerial faith plate, as that is in the shape of a square, but the one that's in the shape of an oval.

StuBurns

Banned
JaseC said:
I felt very similar,
BioShock with some FO3 thrown in actually.

JaseC

StuBurns said:
I felt very similar,
BioShock with some FO3 thrown in actually.

I suppose I now have to reveal my dirty little secret:
I've never played Fallout 3

JaseC

JetBlackPanda said:
I can see that.
I really enjoy the puzzle aspect of the test chambers, Solve 1 move to 2 the openness of the test spheres was kind of intimidating for me.

Understandable. I got stuck more than a few times throughout the areas as I wasn't entirely sure where to go or what to do next.

StuBurns said:
It's a mixed bag I think. Certainly not in the ballpark of BioShock or Portal.

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus that has formed over the years. I like the concept and have been meaning to buy it for yonks now, but I keep missing out when it's on sale.

Treefingers said:
Stick with New Vegas.

While not necessary, it would feel wrong if I played New Vegas without having played Fallout 3.

StuBurns

Banned
Stallion Free said:
*In my opinion* Fallout 3 easily sits up there with those games.
You're not alone, it is loved by many no question. And I would recommend JaseC, or anyone really, play it. It's probably the best western RPG I've played.

JaseC

StuBurns said:
You're not alone, it is loved by many no question. And I would recommend JaseC, or anyone really, play it. It's probably the best western RPG I've played.

It picked up quite a few GoTY awards if I'm not mistaken.

The Chef said:
Gentlemen, what is the approximate length of the single player campaign?

7-9 seems to be the ballpark for most. Took me 8~9 hours.

rezuth

Okay people I must be pretty dumb but I'm stuck
Its in the sphere when you only get this white pressure gel or what it's called. I have no idea how to exit this place. What should I do? I have placed portals all around. I did great without any issue at all up until now :(

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
rezuth said:
Its in the sphere when you only get this white pressure gel or what it's called. I have no idea how to exit this place. What should I do? I have placed portals all around. I did great without any issue at all up until now :(
Cover EVERYTHING with white gel then you can portal up to the exit.

gdt

rezuth said:

Climb vert. Two towers.

StuBurns

Banned
JaseC said:
It picked up quite a few GoTY awards if I'm not mistaken.
I could see people really loving it, but Braid was the same year and I think it's grossly better. I think what it did well it did really well, like BioShock actually, the sense of place is great, at times it feels really organic and oppressive. Where it falls apart for me is really with the core gameplay elements, the combat system, the conversation system etc. If nothing else though, there were a few missions I thought were pretty amazing, one with a tree and one of the DLCs with drugs.

At this point, the GotY edition must be pretty cheap, I think it's worth trying no doubt.

JaseC said:
Yup. I loved chapters 6 and 7.

JaseC

StuBurns said:
I could see people really loving it, but Braid was the same year and I think it's grossly better. I think what it did well it did really well, like BioShock actually, the sense of place is great, at times it feels really organic and oppressive. Where it falls apart for me is really with the core gameplay elements, the combat system, the conversation system etc. If nothing else though, there were a few missions I thought were pretty amazing, one with a tree and one of the DLCs with drugs.

I absolutely adore Braid. It's one of the few games I've double-dipped on in recent years. A mate of mine owns Fallout 3 on the PS3 and he has very similar thoughts to yourself about the game as a whole. He and I generally enjoy the same games for generally similar reasons.

At this point, the GotY edition must be pretty cheap, I think it's worth trying no doubt.

With the Aussie Tax it's $50 on Steam :)/). I'll wait for it to go on special and then organise a PayPal transaction with a NA/CA GAFer.

Top Bottom