• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

StuBurns

Banned
JaseC said:
I absolutely adore Braid. It's one of the few games I've double-dipped on in recent years. A mate of mine owns Fallout 3 on the PS3 and he has very similar thoughts to yourself about the game as a whole. He and I generally enjoy the same games for generally similar reasons.
That's cool, I think the games touched on all do 'embedded storytelling' very well with their environments, and when that's done really well, it can basically be enough for me to enjoy it, if the rest of the game aspects are competent, and I think FO3 is certainly competent enough to sustain the exploration.

The HL series for me is a master of that, and like FO3 I'm not really enamored by the gameplay, but the world alone more than justifies it being amongst my favorite games. The other Portal thread has touched on it, but I (like some GAFfers) do prefer Portal at this point, it has that same wonderful sense of place, but it does it with gameplay that I really adore, for the first play thru at least.

JaseC said:
You jest, but if you squint hard enough they make as smiley face.

Edit: I apologise if you actually are agreeing with me. I interpreted your post as sarcasm despite the former half as the latter half sounds like something somebody who disagreed would say jokingly.

I am agreeing with you. That was totally genuine.
After so much time surrounded by clean walls and sheen tech, the switch to wood and paint was really amazing.

Maybe I'm being dumb, but I'm still on chapter 1 and the game seems to be stuck...

Playing on PS3, I've just gotten to the end of the first momentum room, where the voice says something about
finding a more suitable candidate if I'm irradiated etc...
then the screen darkens down to bring up the loading screen, but nothing happens. Then I can hear the game and can fire the portal gun, but there's no HUD and it's completly dark, with the occassional flash of light showing that I'm in a small boxed room.

I've tried reloading the file, deleted the save file and restarted the game, only for the same thing to happen when I got to that point again. I've been avoiding the Portal 2 threads but maybe this is a problem other people are having. At first I thought it was part of the game, but nothing happened for ages.

Really weird. Any thoughts?

Sanic

This wasn't answered when I asked a couple days ago, but does coop with randoms always start you from the start of the campaign, having to play all the way through?

Pandoracell said:
This wasn't answered when I asked a couple days ago, but does coop with randoms always start you from the start of the campaign, having to play all the way through?

think it depends on where you are in the campaign, if you have both completed the 'tutorial' section then you start off in the hub. Above each of the gates is a a progress bar for each player too which is handy.

Sanic

MikeDub said:
think it depends on where you are in the campaign, if you have both completed the 'tutorial' section then you start off in the hub. Above each of the gates is a a progress bar for each player too which is handy.

Gotcha, thanks!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Just finished it in two sittings, one yesterday and another today. Awesome game as expected and legitimately a great sequel to the first one. I'll replay it soon enough with commentary on after I finish digesting this first playthrough. I didn't get stuck even once, that surprised me.

I'm bummed about the co-op though, I want to play it with my brother but there's no way we'll buy another copy of the game while he can play the single player on mine. Sigh, guess I'll have to try and wrap my head around some Steam trickery.

Sent

Fuu said:
Just finished it in two sittings, one yesterday and another today. Awesome game as expected and legitimately a great sequel to the first one. I'll replay it soon enough with commentary on after I finish digesting this first playthrough. I didn't get stuck even once, that surprised me.

I'm bummed about the co-op though, I want to play it with my brother but there's no way we'll buy another copy of the game while he can play the single player on mine. Sigh, guess I'll have to try and wrap my head around some Steam trickery.

Disown him

StuBurns

Banned
Fuu said:
Well if you're on PS3 you can play co-op PC to PS3, but if you have either console you can play split-screen.

Finished co-op last night on PS3 in one sitting. Ended up breaking the game on the very last puzzle
to get the blue goo to the vault. We for some reason didn't think of sending goo through the excursion funnel, so we managed to skip over the whole sentry part by firing a portal through 2 grates and some steel girders onto about a square inch of portlable wall. We also had to abuse the fact that you can bounce underneath your teammate to give them more height.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Sent said:
Disown him
lol, he's actually fairly trigger happy with Steam purchases. I used his PC to play Portal 2 as he has a much better rig and I'll just leave it installed now so he can go through the single player on my account.

StuBurns said:
Well if you're on PS3 you can play co-op PC to PS3, but if you have either console you can play split-screen.
Unfortunately no PS3 around and I don't have a 360 copy either. I'm reading the Portal 2 Steam forum and it looks like there's a way for making split-screen work on the PC version with a spare controller, I'll try my luck with that.

Just beat the game. So good. Before Chapter 6 I was already thinking it was the best game I've played in a long time. I do like the first half more than the second half of the game and would have preferred more Portal only challenges but still. Great great game. Co-op time now. :)

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
I'm stuck in the Aperture Science
main elevator cave entrance
and there is a
disabled surface elevator
w/ no walls to shoot and a fence that I'm not sure if its a level boundary or something i'm sposed to jump over. Can i get a hint?

oh yeah there are rafters i can get up to, but no idea what advantage being up there gives me.

MNC

Fuu said:
lol, he's actually fairly trigger happy with Steam purchases. I used his PC to play Portal 2 as he has a much better rig and I'll just leave it installed now so he can go through the single player on my account.

Unfortunately no PS3 around and I don't have a 360 copy either. I'm reading the Portal 2 Steam forum and it looks like there's a way for making split-screen work on the PC version with a spare controller, I'll try my luck with that.
1) Install on both PCs
2) start P2 on PC1
3) start P2 on PC2
4) sv_lan 0, net_start, map <mapname here>
5) connect to the right IP
6) success!

That's how I've played just about every source game with my nephew on my single Steam account on 2 PCs. LAN.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
bistromathics said:
I'm stuck in the Aperture Science
main elevator cave entrance
and there is a
disabled surface elevator
w/ no walls to shoot and a fence that I'm not sure if its a level boundary or something i'm sposed to jump over. Can i get a hint?

oh yeah there are rafters i can get up to, but no idea what advantage being up there gives me.
O <--

dionysus

Yaldog
Ok, need help in chapter 8, first room I just have no clue on.

The room with 3 turrets behind a screen guarding a button, blue gel on the far side of the room, and one of those anti-grav thingies near the ceiling.

Oreoleo

bistromathics said:
^err...I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic and saying "use portals" or if it's a genuine hint

O<---
O--->

"Speedy thing goes in. Speedy thing comes out."

or

"Fucking portals how do they work?"

Divius

dionysus said:

The room with 3 turrets behind a screen guarding a button, blue gel on the far side of the room, and one of those anti-grav thingies near the ceiling.
Use the
--gel--
on the
--turrets--
. You can figure it out from there.

edit: beaten

ckohler

dionysus said:
Tips: Use the Excursion Funnel to drop some Repulsion Gel next to the button so you are able to jump up into the Excursion Funnel. The idea is to get you back across where you can use the Super Button to carry the Gel over the turrets.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
dionysus said:

Portal to other side of room, drop some gel so you can bounce up, make a portal on the beam and going across the room. Turn on gel, jump up into the beam, cross the room and stand on the switch. wait for the gel to go throw the portal and then make a portal above the turrets and jump off the switch.

Sorry to quote myself, but I thought I'd add a little more information.

Dead Man Typing said:
Maybe I'm being dumb, but I'm still on chapter 1 and the game seems to be stuck...

Playing on PS3, I've just gotten to the end of the first momentum room, where the voice says something about
finding a more suitable candidate if I'm irradiated etc...
then the screen darkens down to bring up the loading screen, but nothing happens. Then I can hear the game and can fire the portal gun, but there's no HUD and it's completly dark, with the occassional flash of light showing that I'm in a small boxed room.

I've tried reloading the file, deleted the save file and restarted the game, only for the same thing to happen when I got to that point again. I've been avoiding the Portal 2 threads but maybe this is a problem other people are having. At first I thought it was part of the game, but nothing happened for ages.

Really weird. Any thoughts?

Okay, so I'm playing a PAL copy or Portal 2 on a launch 60GB PAL PS3. I experienced a strange glitch during the intro when the room
you're in is breaking through that wall that isn't a docking port: My view changed to outside the room and some objects were floating around, it was almost like a debug mode, but then everything snapped back to where it was supposed to be as the voice of the robot on the track talked over himself.
So I thought that was pretty weird, but no harm done. I kept playing and got to the end of Test Chamber 6, where the above happens. The screen darkens down but no loading screen appears. I then hear a background noise and can hear foot steps and the noise of shooting the portal gun, but there's no lighting at all, except from random flashes, for reasons I can't understand. When the lights flash I appear to be in a very confined iron (non-portal-able) room.

I have so far tried:

Reloading a previous save, same thing happens when I get to the end of test chamber 6.

Deleting all game data, restart. This time the first weird glitch didn't happen, but I still got stuck at the end of chamber 6.

Deleted all data, turned off PS3. Created a new PS3 user (in case trophies were somehow screwing up the file) played through the opening again with no problem until the end of chapter 6 where the same thing happened again.

I'm getting pretty pissed off, I was looking forward to this all week and now it's turned into an exercise in repetition as I've now played through the opening section 3 times and that last test chamber about 6 times. I just can't progress any further. And with the PSN being down I can't even activate my PC version.

It's probably something stupid to do with my old style PS3 that wasn't tested properly, I'm going to try and clear some HDD space, maybe it's hitting a cache limit or something. Otherwise I guess I'll have to wait for PSN to come back and hope the issue is patchable through Steam.

Video game Logic Survival Guide Tip #23:

When in doubt, look to the lighted paths.

Portal 2 Survival Maxim #5:

Yeah, that's there on purpose. They didn't do it just to fuck with you.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Dax01 said:
Huh...dunno if it's just me, but on test chamber 7, chapter 2:
I think I saw Atlas peaking at me from behind a panel.
I only saw
P-Body
in chapter 8
on the test chamber where you need to use repulsion gel and to jump the giant cavern and end your jump with a hard light barrier.
I'm going to keep my eye out for him on my next playthrough.

ckohler

StuBurns said:
Well he appears behind panels, but you can see 'them' in places, there are videos of it.
I've only seen video of
P-body
in single player. Not both or the other. That's my point.

ckohler

RoboPlato said:
I only saw him in chapter 8
on the test chamber where you need to use repulsion gel and to jump the giant cavern and end your jump with a hard light barrier.
I'm going to keep my eye out for him on my next playthrough.
Arg. That's
P-body
. No wonder you guys are confused. You've got the names wrong.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Dax01 said:
Huh...dunno if it's just me, but on test chamber 7, chapter 2:
I think I saw Atlas peaking at me from behind a panel.
grr thats a spoiler from way after that point, no? i got no idea
who atlas is
. Prolly my fault for looking, but I thought it would be okay. Just a peek.

DigiMish

I want to link my PS3 account to Steam so that way I get trophies and steam achievements at the same time, but PSN is down.

If I just play offline right now and earn trophies, when I sync it in the future, will I automatically get those achievements in Steam?

Firebrand

A friend of mine who pre-ordered and pre-loaded still hasn't been able to play the game; the game crashes after loading the singleplayer campaign from the main menu.

Verifying the integrity of the game cache, it wants to redownload the same "1 file" every time. The download is 18.2 megs, which happens to exactly match the combined sizes of client.dll and server.dll in the portal2/bin folder. Tried giving him mine (we're both on 32-bit OSes, though WinXP for him and Vista for me) but that didn't help.

Any suggestions? Interestingly enough, there's a thread on the Steam forums that claims that using a cracked client.dll might fix it, but I'm hoping to find a safer solution.

StuBurns

Banned
bistromathics said:
who atlas is
Don't worry about it, it's nothing significant at all.

bistromathics said:
who atlas is
It's not a spoiler at all, don't worry.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
bistromathics said:
who atlas is
It's just an Easter Egg and has no barring on the plot. If you want to know
he's one of the robots from co-op.

Dax01 said:
It could've been
Wheatley, I dunno. I only got a glimpse of him.
I'm pretty sure it was Wheatley.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Just beat it. It's just a great game and so much more than Portal 1, which was already perfect.

AND NOLAN NORTH MADE IT IN!!! W000000000

I'M IN
SPACEEE

Top Bottom