• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 - Peer Review |OT| its been a looooong time, but my time is finally near

StuBurns

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
Oh I thought you were joking about buying a second system, haha.

I thought that was impossible? People said it was when the game first came out.
Not at all impossible my good man, not at all.

Just don't use the same PSN account you used to link the two.

Tucah

you speak so well
Foliorum Viridum said:
Oh I thought you were joking about buying a second system, haha.

I thought that was impossible? People said it was when the game first came out.

Have your girlfriend create her own PSN account and Steam account. Link the two, have her play on PS3 and you play on PC with your Steam account and there you have it.

JaseC said:
Nope. Cross-platform play has always been possible.

StuBurns said:
Not at all impossible my good man, not at all.

Just don't use the same PSN account you used to link the two.

Tucah said:
Have your girlfriend create her own PSN account and Steam account. Link the two, have her play on PS3 and you play on PC with your Steam account and there you have it.

.... FUUUUU.

GAF fed me misinformation before, then. Goddamnit. Oh well, that is DEFINITELY what I'll do this time around. Thanks for enlightening me!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Foliorum Viridum said:
.... FUUUUU.

GAF fed me misinformation before, then. Goddamnit. Oh well, that is DEFINITELY what I'll do this time around. Thanks for enlightening me!

Are you sure didn't confuse the inability to play cross-platform with the inability to use the same Steam account on the PS3 and PC/Mac simultaneously?

StuBurns said:
Never trust GAF, dude's a bad egg.
I was saying it should be possible a few days before the game came out and had an army of people assure me it wouldn't be :( It went on for like two pages! Haha.

They're usually reliable about this stuff. Oh well, we HAD to play it on PS3 originally because PSN was down and I couldn't link up my Steam profile, so it's not the end of the world. :)

JaseC said:
Are you sure didn't confuse the inability to play cross-platform with the inability to use the same Steam account on the PS3 and PC/Mac simultaneously?
No, I definitely asked about different accounts. I guess people didn't know 110% for sure before the game came out.

But hey, like I said, I couldn't've done it even if I knew it was possible.

StuBurns

Banned
Lots of people thought it would be impossible because Valve said so. I said they were talking shit, and as always, I'm perfect.

Yes, but people were saying that I'd need to tie my copy of the game to my Steam account and then because of that the game couldn't be associated with another PSN account or something.

I always knew there was cross-platform, but whether or not you could do it via the same copy was a foggy area, as StuBurns has said.

Ketch

So jumped in and checked it out. At first I didn't realize they added new co-op maps, so I was all "WTF? It took them that long just to add leaderboards?"

JaseC

Foliorum Viridum said:
Yes, but people were saying that I'd need to tie my copy of the game to my Steam account and then because of that the game couldn't be associated with another PSN account or something.

I always knew there was cross-platform, but whether or not you could do it via the same copy was a foggy area, as StuBurns has said.

Oh, right. I lead the charge when it came to reassuring people that you could indeed play cross-platform using the PS3 copy and the redeemed PC copy, but clearly I missed you. It was nothing personal, I swear. :p

Once the game was out I bailed out of the thread due to spoilers, then I waited a few days to see if PSN would come back up and when it didn't I cracked and just did SP/Co-op on PS3, so clearly I missed all of the "OH YOU CANNN" posts by the time I came back into the thread to gush over it. :p

JaseC

Foliorum Viridum said:
Once the game was out I bailed out of the thread due to spoilers, then I waited a few days to see if PSN would come back up and when it didn't I cracked and just did SP/Co-op on PS3, so clearly I missed all of the "OH YOU CANNN" posts by the time I came back into the thread to gush over it. :p

Ah! Serves you right. :p

Tambini

Got up to test chamber 6 with a random. We're having a lot of fun and we're similar skill level so figuring out the solutions is really fun :D

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
StuBurns said:
Any additional impressions? How long was it? How was the difficulty compared to the first co-op campaign?
A little over two hours, it was about on par difficulty wise with the final chambers of the OG co-op stuff. It had a really nice mix of all the elements from all the other chamber sets. There is a cutscene at the end and it is fucking spectacular.

StuBurns

Banned
Stallion Free said:
A little over two hours, it was about on par difficulty wise with the final chambers of the OG co-op stuff. It had a really nice mix of all the elements from all the other chamber sets. There is a cutscene at the end and it is fucking spectacular.
Sounds nice, thanks, looking forward to it. Hopefully I'll be playing it tomorrow.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
To put it this way: When I get my copy of Rage this afternoon, it could be super fucked and I wouldn't even care because I'm still high off this experience.

MNC

Stallion Free said:
To put it this way: When I get my copy of Rage this afternoon, it could be super fucked and I wouldn't even care because I'm still high of this experience.
Goddamn. This coming from you it must be good.

Salsa

Stallion Free said:
To put it this way: When I get my copy of Rage this afternoon, it could be super fucked and I wouldn't even care because I'm still high off this experience.

tell me about it, this is making the fact that im getting screwed with RAGE's release date more than bearable.

is this up on PSN yet?

ALSO

Does anyone still have a free redeemable pc copy code that came with your ps3 version still lying around? I lost mine amid the PSN fiasco and Valve support has told me there's nothing they can do to get me a new one.

Cels

CrunchyFrog said:
is this up on PSN yet?

ALSO

Does anyone still have a free redeemable pc copy code that came with your ps3 version still lying around? I lost mine amid the PSN fiasco and Valve support has told me there's nothing they can do to get me a new one.

Weird, sounds like you're blaming Sony's PSN outage for you losing your piece of paper that had the code on it. I didn't know one could cause the other.

In any case, if you can't find a generous soul who for some reason hasn't redeemed their code and is willing to give you theirs, you're in luck because Portal 2 is only $15 on steam if you really want a PC/MAC copy.

Dakota47

Loved every bit of the DLC. Me and my buddy weren't too clever so it took us almost three hours. We both had our eureka moments though and made it until the end. And what a great ending it was.
Dinosaurs are going to re-inhabit the world, thanks to Glados wheheh

crispyben

Dakota47 said:
Loved every bit of the DLC. Me and my buddy weren't too clever so it took us almost three hours. We both had our eureka moments though and made it until the end. And what a great ending it was.
spoiler removed
Thanks a lot, that's why you should always preview your posts! :(

EDIT: WTF, your spoiler wasn't obfuscated when I first read your post and now it is?!?

Divius

Played the first couple of chambers with a friend, we're saving the last two for tomorrow. Pretty good puzzles as well @@

We did come across a weird glitch were he just kept floating in the air against the ceiling, like he had no gravity.

Dakota47

theinfinityissue said:
so how do you access Peer Review? Co op challenge mode, is it a new area in the old co op lobby? I'm on steam.

You access it from the lobby area.

XeroSauce said:
If my friend hasn't played the original co-op stuff yet, should he do that first before we tackle this?

He doesn't have to, but it would help.

Somax

Excellent set of tests, even if maybe not too long, it took us 2 hours to solve them.
The ending made me and my buddy laugh very much.

Salsa

iHXN7fvxtwkit.png

gotta love taking screenshots in this game.

Co-op buddy had to go so we'll finish tomorrow, boo-urns.

h3ro

Has anyone been able to successfully d/l this off the PSN store? I have it on my purchased list but every time I try to d/l it, I get an error code.

bender

What time is it?
h3ro said:
Has anyone been able to successfully d/l this off the PSN store? I have it on my purchased list but every time I try to d/l it, I get an error code.

Just tried and the download looks to be working (6% currently).

h3ro

bender said:
Just tried and the download looks to be working (6% currently).
What the heck?!

Just tried again. Getting "An error occurred during the download operation. (80710101)

I'm able to download other content with no issues, just downloaded and installed the Eufloria demo.

I ran through it with a buddy a few minutes ago

I can't say I wasn't disappointed. About an hour and a half of puzzles with a pretty funny ending, but the dialog leading up to it wasn't as funny as the ending.

Pros
- If you were just getting Portal 2, it would add an hour or two to the co-op campaign
- It blends well with the base Portal 2. I hate DLC that goes way outside what the base game does (like Fallout DLC). The DLC is a nice after game side quest.
- Good mix of different ideas, plus the refining of some elements that weren't used often enough in the base game
- Decent enough story, ending is great
- Is free

Cons
- Really short if you already beat co-op mode. It's one or two hours then you're done.
- Not terribly difficult. If you beat the last few puzzles of co-op you should blitz through this mission
- No new achievements
- Challenge mode isn't at all what any of us was expecting.

For some reason I expected them to throw in a few new challenge maps exclusive to the challenge map section. I was totally expecting 3 or 4 maps from that one contest they held. Overall, the content is fine, it just doesn't seem up to par with the other DLCs Valve has released for their other games.

Maybe the second (and probably final) DLC of Portal 2 will be better. This entire package almost seemed rushed, with it's announcement what felt like years ago, and then absolutely no information until yesterday, with a quick release today with no real announcement or big deal about it. It was just kind of "oh hey, P2 DLC, go have fun!" which isn't like Valve's usual strategy at all.

clip said:
So was that like an
earlier version of GlaDOS at the end?
Seems like it. Especially since it had total control over everything. It looked like an old Glados, and was in a similar room, plus the power the simple keyboard had made me think it was a very old prototype. Would have been cool if the ending implied that it woke up, as that could have pushed in a hint at the future of Portal

Gart

Leaderboards hacked already just hours after release. Is there any game where this doesn't occur? Kind of kills the fun and motivation out of them, oh well.

Top Bottom