• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 - Peer Review |OT| its been a looooong time, but my time is finally near

Going to try it out when my brother gets home.

This is going to sound weird but playing with no voice chat in co-op made the experience even better. We were playing late at night and when my partner could hear us chatting we decided to turn off voice chat. The systems of tagging etc were perfect to convey portal placement and after each completed challenge we would high five or hug. I recommend you guys try and play it like this.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Just finished the new course and it was amazing. I wanted to replay co-op, and this was a very good excuse to boot the game again.

so on ps3 its a download from the PSN store and not a update over steam?

ok... whatever. Though the point of Steam ps3 was that valve didnt have to go through a lot of the console cert stuff and could deal direct with players.

Will need to get my copy back of my brother. or play on pc.

no new achievements/trophies correct? Will go through it on PC with a buddy tomorrow if thats the case.

Wait...there's no least steps challenge? That sucks...the least steps challenge in Portal 1 was my favorite. I also liked the contrast between least portals and least steps. In least steps you have to use as many portals as possible. And then in the time challenge, you had to take what you learned from the least portal and least steps challenges and combine them for best speed.

Daigoro

totally forgot to download this today. well its in the queue now.

so no new achievements for 360 huh? no wonder its free!

Medalion

Banned
Tried out the new Challenge mode

It's not much but it's something new, who can get through certain segments of the game in the shortests amount of time using as few portals as possible

Played through it just now with the same friend I did co-op at release with. Took about 1.5 hours. The puzzles were great, as were the new GLadOS lines. And the ending was amazing, as has been mentioned =D

I love you Valve

NinjaBoiX

Koodo said:
24y7qlg.jpg

Probably won't be able to indulge this week or the next, but HYPERAMA nonetheless.

lulz I'll probably cave in an hour after release
It's free dude.

Yeah!

Mazzo

Ahw, it was over so soon =[

Although I do understand it must be difficult to make well polished puzzles, once you solve them there's little to do beyond time trials and scoreboards, which really are not my thing...

Anyway, thank you Valve for continuing to support the game =D

Sibylus

Banned
Man, this was great. Went through it in three hours with a friend, we definitely stopped to smell the roses along the way.

That other pillar in the hub is quite obviously where DLC 2 is going to emerge in the future.

Also, <3'd the ending and <3'd the small touches like the turret sitting in the chair :D

EVIL said:
Wait whut, I cant download it on steam. when I go to view DLC content it tells me there is no DLC.
Will auto-download as a patch.

Nessus

Pretty damn good free content.

The jokes and the narrative were far better integrated into this than in the original co-op campaign, I found.

WillyFive

Love the challenge mode.

Gart said:
Leaderboards hacked already just hours after release. Is there any game where this doesn't occur? Kind of kills the fun and motivation out of them, oh well.

Really? That sucks.

But if someone got through Smooth Jazz with only one portal, it wasn't because of hacking.

oatmeal

Banned
Assuming all of the Single Player maps are as short as the first one, or close to it, I can see myself trying to perfect them.

Excited to jump into this.

Forkball

Yetsofar and I beat them over the past few days. Enjoyable maps, they solved my main issue with the previous co-op rooms only focusing on one puzzle element. Here we got a nice mix. But damn, we overthought so many of the rooms, we were trying to make the most Rube Goldberg-esque maneuvers for the simplest tasks.

The ending was great though, but I wouldn't mind them cutting back on the story a bit to get more levels out there.

PhiLonius

Forkball said:
Yetsofar and I beat them over the past few days. Enjoyable maps, they solved my main issue with the previous co-op rooms only focusing on one puzzle element. Here we got a nice mix. But damn, we overthought so many of the rooms, we were trying to make the most Rube Goldberg-esque maneuvers for the simplest tasks.

The ending was great though, but I wouldn't mind them cutting back on the story a bit to get more levels out there.

Good time, but damn that last one.

ultron87

That ending was pretty fantastic.

I feel like the puzzles were harder but not as... complex as the ones near the end of the main campaign.

KevinCow

Banned
I'm feeling a little bit retarded because I just downloaded and installed it on my PS3 but now I can't figure out how to play it.

WillyFive

KevinCow said:
I'm feeling a little bit retarded because I just downloaded and installed it on my PS3 but now I can't figure out how to play it.

I got the Challenge Mode to work, but I haven't tried out the new co-op yet.

I'm having a weird issue :S

So my friend and I just finished the new levels but on the test chamber selection... thing.... it shows that he's completed them all but only 3 or 4 for me? Random too, not sequential.

Playing on PS3 and he was hosting.

ArjanN

KevinCow said:

You access the new co-op levels from the hub area.

Bigfoot

Willy105 said:
Love the challenge mode.

Really? That sucks.

But if someone got through Smooth Jazz with only one portal, it wasn't because of hacking.

You can't get through with only one portal unless there is a glitch I don't know of... you need at least two (one for the pit, the other for the glass). I did it in 2 and according to the graph, most people do it in 5. I don't remember seeing anyone do it in 1 on the graph.

Speaking of challenge mode, do you guys play for portals or time. I was originally trying for both but now I just go for portals. Once I get the "low number on the graph", I will then do a time run but I don't care about having the best time, just a decent one. Trying to figurea level out with the least amount of portals is more fun to me.

GSR

Played through this last night with a friend. I enjoyed it, and the new dialogue was great as usual. I was especially fond of the death quotes.

WillyFive

Porthos said:
You can't get through with only one portal unless there is a glitch I don't know of... you need at least two (one for the pit, the other for the glass). I did it in 2 and according to the graph, most people do it in 5. I don't remember seeing anyone do it in 1 on the graph.

You have to get stuck on the level, in which the Aperture Science announcer will open the door for you. You do it by opening a portal on the other side of the door (as it's opened by you stepping on it with the button), and then throwing the cube out the orange portal.

Willy105 said:
You have to get stuck on the level, in which the Aperture Science announcer will open the door for you. You do it by opening a portal on the other side of the door (as it's opened by you stepping on it with the button), and then throwing the cube out the orange portal.

Damn pretty creative.

Chavelo

Finished it over the weekend with my pal. Took us about 2-3 hours, reason being that she got off from work and was tired, and I was starting to get sick from playing games all day.

But we loved it! The chambers were way tougher than the standard co-op stuff. And the narrative was hilarious.

I NEED MORE, VALVE! :3

rezuth

Finished it and loved it, at times it felt tighter and better than the original Portal 2 content. I also loved the whole bit with GLaDOS turning pages, something about that sound and the way it was read just made me laugh really bad.

Top Bottom