• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland: 2 killed in stabbing on MAX train as man directs slurs at Muslim women

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
"All...who don't follow Christs teachings of Love, Forgiveness, Charity"

got to be kidding me.
To be fair people have been killing others in the name of Christ's teachings of Love, Forgiveness, and charity since before IV century. People misappropriating religious beliefs is hardly new.

MKIL65

1495888258-montavilla_36.jpg

Yeah, he deserves to rot in prison. Nazi scumbag.

These small IQ racist pieces of shit are the real terrorist and need to be dropped off on a fucking island somewhere. Identified by their obsession with flags of defeated nations and armies that opposed the United States of America.

White supremacy hasnt infected every aspect of American life because of small, low IQ pieces of shit though. Its persisted as long as it has because it has some wickedly intelligent proponents of it. Its a trick of White supremacy to make you think its most dangerous representatives are just extremists criminals.

Jag

I assume Oregon doesn't have a death penalty. It's a shame. He'll probably thrive in prison with all the other white supremacists.

bionic77

White supremacy hasnt infected every aspect of American life because of small, low IQ pieces of shit though. Its persisted as long as it has because it has some wickedly intelligent proponents of it. Its a trick of White supremacy to make you think its most dangerous representatives are just extremists criminals.
What are you talking about?

Trump just won the White House running a white supremacist campaign. This shit is sadly becoming more common and I don't think a large group of Americans care.

Edit: upon reading your comment again you did not say what I thought you did.

Jaeger

No where did I state the only white supremacist are the dumb ones. The people who start shouting and telling the first brown person they see to "go back your own country" are the ones I was referring to.

Sunster

There is absolutely no way to deny that Trump and his rhetoric has caused a surge in hate crimes and hate speech. This seems to be happening a lot lately. I'd be curious to see the statistics at the end of the year

They literally made a Law and Order SVU episode about it where a crime, similar to this takes place.

If this man was Islamic and killed people defending christians, we'd have "TERRORISM STRIKES IN PORTLAND" on all of the news networks. Of course, the media chooses to simply define terrorism as only an Islamic extremist issue when reporting.

Yep its infuriating. If the religion and ethnicity was turned around every news channel would be SCREAMING terrorism. It is unfair that the definition and the response to that word only goes one way.

Cat Party

I assume Oregon doesn't have a death penalty. It's a shame. He'll probably thrive in prison with all the other white supremacists.
We still have the death penalty on the books but our last two governors have stayed all executions. And as vile as this crime was, I hope that doesn't change.

Dmented

Banned
The way I look at it, if Timothy McVeigh was still alive he would be a Trump supporter.

Of course. There's absolutely no doubt that would be the case. Maybe not all Trump supporters are racists, conspiracy theorists, crazy nazi scumbags but, ALL racists, conspiracy theorists, crazy nazi scumbags voted for/support Trump.

chekhonte

So would this be considered a hate crime? Granted double homicide with out a hate crime attached to it will be stiff enough. I just don't know where the boundaries of hate crime laws are.

Piggus

Oregon was literally created to be a haven for white people, and had racism codified into its constitution--black people were constitutionally forbidden until 1926.

So yeah, racism is a vein that runs deep in Oregon. :(

Places change. My town for example was a hotbed for the KKK, and now it's one of the most liberal towns in America. Can you say that for somewhere like Alabama, where laws were just passed to prevent taking down confederate monuments?

Parch

In Canada there have been several stories of racists being confronted. I've seen homophobes get immediately called out when they say something stupid. Immediate confrontation seems to be the Canadian way. Don't let the racist or homophobe continue to abuse and let it escalate to violence.

Now when we get stories like this it might make people hesitate instead of putting an end to it right away. When the asshole might turn the violence onto the defenders, it changes the way people chose to intervene.

ameratsu

If this man was Islamic and killed people defending christians, we'd have "TERRORISM STRIKES IN PORTLAND" on all of the news networks. Of course, the media chooses to simply define terrorism as only an Islamic extremist issue when reporting.

Exactly.

Here's an opinion piece in the Seattle Stranger on this topic

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/20...all-interested-in-white-supremacist-terrorism

Yesterday afternoon, two people were stabbed to death by a man who, according to witnesses, was hurling anti-Muslim slurs at two women on a Portland light rail train. (One other person was stabbed but the injuries will not kill them.) The suspect in the stabbing is Jeremy Christians, "a known local white supremacist." Despite the fact that the information we have about this deadly incident is pointing to terrorism, it is barely mentioned on major news websites.

B.O.O.M

Such a tragedy :( I used to take the max to go everywhere when I was living there. There are some crazy mofos in it from time to time. RIP to the victim

chekhonte

Get ready for a lot more of this when Trump sabotages ACA and more people get taken off their medication.

This guy probably should have been institutionalized long before it was allowed to escalate. I guarantee that whatever he has going on could have been minimized with medication. This is of course presuming he doesn't have amphetamine psychosis. Why he hasn't been evaluated before all this mess is beyond me

Balphon

It does, and he's likely to be charged with Agg. Murder which is punishable by death.

Even if charged, convicted, and sentenced, however, he is unlikely to be executed unless there's a sudden sea change in Oregon politics.

Gluka

White Radical Christian Terrorist. Why can't conservatives say these words?

From his Facebook posts he seemed to have followed some sort of racist viking Paganism or some bullshit. Still, more innocent lives taken at the hands of violent right wing extremism that the likes of Facebook, Google, YouTube and Twitter allow to fester on their platforms.

Kind of starting to wonder what it will take for them to actually start caring about the damage that their lax policies are doing to our society through radicalization.

Derwind

From his Facebook posts he seemed to have followed some sort of racist viking Paganism or some bullshit. Still, more innocent lives taken at the hands of violent right wing extremism that the likes of Facebook, Google, YouTube and Twitter allow to fester on their platforms.

Kind of starting to wonder what it will take for them to actually start caring about the damage that their lax policies are doing to our society through radicalization.

But he denounces other Christians who "don't follow Christs teaching of Love, Charity and Forgiveness".

I don't see why he gives a flying fuck about Christs teachings if he himself isn't Christian.

I guess that neither here nor there.

I agree with you 100 percent. But still, there needs to be a way of engaging with, and defusing a person of this level, before they meltdown, and also a way to intercept, and hopefully correct them before they get to this point.

We don't have a clear mechanism for doing something like this, as it seems early engagement is always cast as an assault on the persons free-will, rather than a way of protecting the people that they could hurt in the future.

To be perfectly honest, I think that without a lot of help from "regular" white americans, stuff like this will just keep happening, since it's easy to hand-wave away as a single incident, but even that hand-waving is a part of the insidious nature of the gross ideals that you're talking about.

Exactly.

Here's an opinion piece in the Seattle Stranger on this topic

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/20...all-interested-in-white-supremacist-terrorism
Yeah, and the worst part is how self-reinforcing this stuff is. Because of the lack of linking incidents such as this to terrorism, especially in nation-wide media, Islam is continued to be perceived as inherently worse or more dangerous than any other religion because a bunch of terrorist incidents come to mind whenever people say the word, which they aren't able to do for any other religion because the media refuses to link them when that happens, which just ends up breeding more monsters like this who think, because of the media's portrayal of Muslims compared to other faiths, that they're just doing the world a favor, and then the cycle continues.

The media just needs to find its balls and call this stuff what it is, instead of just continuing to remain so passive and make the problem worse.

The alt right media personality complex dug up a post he made on FB that they say makes him a Bernie bro. Ignoring his other alt-right ravings, White nationalism and anti-antifa spewing.

Top Bottom