• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland (OR) |OT|

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Start looking in the deep SE for cheaper places. I have never really lived in a place cheaper than that but I have always been close to downtown.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
On the considerable off-chance, does anyone happen to know any food truck owners, or farmer's market vendor type people? I'm trying to do a little preemptive preparation for Startup Weekend on Friday, in case my pitch actually gets picked. (Have my own plan to get some interviews going, but hey, crowdsourcing.)

My brother is coming into town and is looking for good restaurant and places to drink downtown/pearl tomorrow anyone have good recommendations? Looking for good dinner and then planning on getting hammered. I was thinking Jones to drink. Tomorrow is the biggest drinking day of the year, what are the fun places?

8JDOK1O.png

TWO HOURS to get to work today. Ten accidents by 8am. School was closed after only being open an hour. All this over less than a half inch?

Hop

TWO HOURS to get to work today. Ten accidents by 8am. School was closed after only being open an hour. All this over less than a half inch?

I had a snow day at work, even.

Okay, officially it's because my boss is sick and we're a week ahead of schedule on our project, but dammit, I'm calling it a snow day.

I work at AAA. I hear our call center has been hammered today. Surprisingly my bus dropped me off only about ten minutes later than normal going from SW Beaverton to downtown Portland. But the express bus also dodges the highways so we didn't have to deal with the dumb insanity out there.

I have a date out on Belmont tomorrow and was planning on driving but if people are still clogging the roads I might just plan to take public transportation just so I don't have to tolerate other drivers.

Kevtones

I'd be there with you right now if not for the shitshow of Eugene snow. Been on vacation here for Holidays/HS reunion. Of all the years we get a CRAZY snowfall...

Hoping to head up tomorrow and stay through Sunday. Going to Dismemberment Plan on Sunday night at the Wonder Ballroom. Would love to connect, however brief.

Wife surprised me with a mini-weekend in Portland. Heading down in the morning. Going nuts at the SE breweries (HotD, Commons, Cascade, etc.).
The Winter Ale fest is going on at Pioneer Courthouse Square this weekend. It'd save you some time from having to travel from brewery to brewery. Try going for the Sunday brunch. You'll get access to some nice specialty fills and pours.

The Winter Ale fest is going on at Pioneer Courthouse Square this weekend. It'd save you some time from having to travel from brewery to brewery. Try going for the Sunday brunch. You'll get access to some nice specialty fills and pours.

Yeah, I know about the fest. Rather just hang at the breweries.

I've been looking at craigslist for housing. Parents are still considering sending me away to (another) mental health program. Everything is expensive. I figure I should try to find a company to go through. Still don't really have a job.

Kevtones

I didn't spot you there :(

Actually I saw several people that match that description but I wasn't about to go up to each of them and ask if they push fat kids

The girl I got set up with/from my group got brought on stage for the shirt lol. We were some of the more active people up front...

Did you get on stage? Gots me a hug from Travis! I was the idiot that yelled 'thank you Travis' after Ice of Boston.

Also, that was a FANTASTIC show. Met Travis before the show too in the bar area. Told him I was excited and he was super friendly and totally buzzed.

Couldn't have had a better time!

PS I meant blue jumpsuit - full body. I was the only one there in that lol. Looked like a misplaced spaceman!

Hop

The girl I got set up with/from my group got brought on stage for the shirt lol. We were some of the more active people up front...

Did you get on stage? Gots me a hug from Travis! I was the idiot that yelled 'thank you Travis' after Ice of Boston.

Also, that was a FANTASTIC show. Met Travis before the show too in the bar area. Told him I was excited and he was super friendly and totally buzzed.

PS I meant blue jumpsuit - full body. I was the only one there in that lol. Looked like a misplaced spaceman!

Naw, didn't get on stage. I didn't feel like drinking so I stuck in the under-21 section.

But yea, it's a pretty tight comparison between that show and Moon Hooch/TMBG. Both were awesome shows, just in different ways.

Kevtones

Alas, had to leave today. Really loved the city. Stayed in Clinton?

Got to go to Stripperoke last night - did 'Creep' with my friend and got my head humped.

Went to Dobs in Clinton area or something named close to that. Had Dobchos which were marvelous. Did Genie's this morning - great bloody mary. Can't wait to visit again. Also went to Old Town Pizza (friend works there).

Naw, didn't get on stage. I didn't feel like drinking so I stuck in the under-21 section.

But yea, it's a pretty tight comparison between that show and Moon Hooch/TMBG. Both were awesome shows, just in different ways.

Loved Telekinesis too btw.

xxracerxx

Snow on the ground this morning. I guess NE just gets it and other places don't from the sound of it.

Just going up that little hill really makes a difference in snow cover. On Friday I was riding home from downtown and as soon as I climbed up to Prescott I actually just had to basically skate my bike home because the streets were still covered in packed snow/ice.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
So, Public Domain Coffee...

"What size do you want?"

"Oh, small will be just fine." *thinking it's gonna be a 12oz*

"Your coffee is ready."

*stares at 3 oz cup that cost $4*

YO WHAT THE FUCK?

Dartastic

I didn't spot you there :(

Actually I saw several people that match that description but I wasn't about to go up to each of them and ask if they push fat kids
I was at that show too! So fun. I was standing sorta near the front on the right side near the stairs that head to the basement bar. Really fun show. I'm the guy that yelled out "Ya still got it!" and then they chuckled. Hah. Normally I'm not the yelling at bands type, but...

"What size do you want?"

"Your coffee is ready."

YO WHAT THE FUCK?
Hahah, not going there.

Also, yeehaw Trail Band. Yeeeehaw. :/

Hop

I was at that show too! So fun. I was standing sorta near the front on the right side near the stairs that head to the basement bar. Really fun show. I'm the guy that yelled out "Ya still got it!" and then they chuckled. Hah. Normally I'm not the yelling at bands type, but...

Well yea, to be fair, they did still have it. I did not expect them to do Girl o' Clock, much less do it so well.

Also, was at the Crafty Wonderland thing at the convention center earlier today. Lots of people. :x

Dartastic

Well yea, to be fair, they did still have it. I did not expect them to do Girl o' Clock, much less do it so well.

Also, was at the Crafty Wonderland thing at the convention center earlier today. Lots of people. :x
I know, right? I didn't expect either. They absolutely killed it.

"What size do you want?"

"Your coffee is ready."

YO WHAT THE FUCK?

Went there for the first time a couple weeks back while on a date. Overpriced but I did think the hot chocolate was pretty good. I don't intend to go back on my own but I also pretty much never go to any coffee shops on my own aside from an occasional $2 hot chocolate from Seattle's Best.

Finally moved to SE... city life! food! beer! strip clubs everywhere!

Gonna see the blazers face king eyebrow tomorrow, and I think the seats are pretty good too

Welp.... it looks like I'm going to be moving to the Portland area sometime in January... I won't be in Portland but in a burb, sadly enough, but it can't be helped. I'm going to miss a lot of things about Southern California, though. The weather, the food, the women, the sports. Also, the lack of sports teams is... kinda weird. You have a lot of fans that just like teams from elsewhere. I guess it'll make it easier for me to root for USC, the Dodgers, the LA Kings and so on while I'm there. Fortunately I'm not a Lakers fan so the one major team there is cool by me.

In my visits so far it's been pretty nice in general in Oregon though. Beautiful scenery. Love the PDX airport. My initial impression is that Portlanders love standing outside in the cold or rain so that they can squeeze into a tiny restaurant after a couple hours. It doesn't matter what time of day it is, if it's a typical mealtime or anything.

Also, the whole "no U turn unless posted thing" is fucked. As is not being able to pump your own gas, but I guess I'll get over that one. No sales tax makes up for that.

Gonna have to try and find some decent Mexican food, but I'm expecting a heavy drop-off in that area. Also, any suggestions for good ramen? LA is fucking amazing for good ramen right now and I'm really going to miss it.

Alas, I know nothing will compare to Langer's #19. I'll have to figure out a way to try and recreate it, or get as close as I can anyway.

Welp.... it looks like I'm going to be moving to the Portland area sometime in January... I won't be in Portland but in a burb, sadly enough, but it can't be helped. I'm going to miss a lot of things about Southern California, though. The weather, the food, the women, the sports. Also, the lack of sports teams is... kinda weird. You have a lot of fans that just like teams from elsewhere. I guess it'll make it easier for me to root for USC, the Dodgers, the LA Kings and so on while I'm there. Fortunately I'm not a Lakers fan so the one major team there is cool by me.

In my visits so far it's been pretty nice in general in Oregon though. Beautiful scenery. Love the PDX airport. My initial impression is that Portlanders love standing outside in the cold or rain so that they can squeeze into a tiny restaurant after a couple hours. It doesn't matter what time of day it is, if it's a typical mealtime or anything.

Also, the whole "no U turn unless posted thing" is fucked. As is not being able to pump your own gas, but I guess I'll get over that one. No sales tax makes up for that.

Gonna have to try and find some decent Mexican food, but I'm expecting a heavy drop-off in that area. Also, any suggestions for good ramen? LA is fucking amazing for good ramen right now and I'm really going to miss it.

Alas, I know nothing will compare to Langer's #19. I'll have to figure out a way to try and recreate it, or get as close as I can anyway.

there's a portlandia skit about standing outside for restaurants. it's true.

you're never going to replace socal mexican food, but i've had some great tacos at por que no.

Doombear

Here are some food links for ya, timetokill.

House of Ramen is my main place for ramen here. Love it. There is also Boke Bowl which is delicious, but it is referred to by a few of my asian friends as 'white people ramen' or hipster food. I don't really subscribe to all that nonsense. It is amazing, but not very traditional. Boxer Ramen is new, owned by Micah Camden, a local chef/restaurateur that has some great joints. Little Big Burger (held my #1 spot until Killer Burger opened...),Yakuza, D.O.C, and Blue Star Donuts being a few of them.

I really don't understand how people can stand in line at places like Por Que No. Isn't anyone ever hungry enough to just want to go get the food without the whole standing around experience part? I can't comment much on the food, as I have only been there twice. It was not bad at all, just not something I felt warranted the wait, so please don't take my opinion on the wait as evidence that the food is not good.

Lately my appetite for Mexican food has been sated by these two places:

Nayar Tacqueria - AMAZING and new little joint out SE Foster way.
El Nutri Taco (the Woodstock is the strangest location for a Taco Truck ever...)

I haven't really stood in lines.

/shrug

Places I've ate at that are awesome:
NoHo's (best short ribs)
Hana Sushi (Udon has korean beef in it, friend told me the Ramen is good)
Bollywood Theater (nothing here has let me down yet)
Pine State Biscuits
Cruzroom (for after hours small tacos that are amazing)
Ole Frijole
Tin Shed Garden Cafe
Thai Seasons
Yakuza Lounge (get the burger, Happy Hour it's 9 instead of 12)
Boolkogi Taco (Korean Tacos)

reilo

I lived down the street from Gravy and never went cause the lines were stupid. I went Sunday for the first time cause my friends wanted to go and we waited an entire hour.

I warned them, too!

Well I've been here for 2 years and there is no way you're going to replace SoCal level Mexican food, sorry dude. Everything else is really good though, welcome!

xxracerxx

I lived down the street from Gravy and never went cause the lines were stupid. I went Sunday for the first time cause my friends wanted to go and we waited an entire hour.

I warned them, too!

Aren't they open other days, not just on the weekend?

Tanker bar is my favorite place to watch blazer games now. 3.50 micros during games and they put mike & mike on the speakers. Miami game was packed and the whole bar was way into it, I bet playoffs will be awesome there.

reilo

Tanker bar is my favorite place to watch blazer games now. 3.50 micros during games and they put mike & mike on the speakers. Miami game was packed and the whole bar was way into it, I bet playoffs will be awesome there.
Oh sweet, I'll have to check it out.

Top Bottom