• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland (OR) |OT|

I moved up here from SoCal less than a month ago, and this is what I get.

People up here saying this kind/amount of snow is rare and only happens every few years. True?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

People up here saying this kind/amount of snow is rare and only happens every few years. True?
Truth. Last time was in December '08, but worst was '04.

It just started snowing again. I hate having just a little bit of snow. A little bit is an inconvenience, but if we had a lot I could build an ice fortress.

My first fall/winter here I was told "say goodbye to the sun and months of nonstop rain." And that's what happened. This fall/winter? Weird.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I went sledding at Irving Park with some friends last night, and when we got there there were already a few dozen other people. At midnight! I love Portland when it snows.

Truth. Last time was in December '08, but worst was '04.
I was living in Gresham in 2004 and the snow drifts that formed out there were insane. They were easily 6+ feet high.

Dartastic

Posted this in the snowpocalypse thread, but yeah. I'm expected to be at my box office job at 10:30 tomorrow morning. No "we'll see how the weather is" sort of consideration, just straight up "nope. Figure it out." ...not too pleased about that. It's going to take me fucking forever to get there, and forever to get home. Meanwhile, I probably won't even sell a single ticket. HOORAY.

reilo

I'm over it. Give me 40F and cloudy or 20F and clear skies and no snow back, thanks.

Cat Party

It's been snowing constantly for hours out here in East County. Incredibly beautiful but I'd like to be able to leave the house at some point. Also, I lost my wedding ring in the snow yesterday in my front yard, so I'd like to find that.

It's been snowing constantly for hours out here in East County. Incredibly beautiful but I'd like to be able to leave the house at some point. Also, I lost my wedding ring in the snow yesterday in my front yard, so I'd like to find that.

the ring has a will of its own

reilo

Anyone in NW wanna meet up at Yurs for the Blazer game?
Would've loved to if my car wasn't stuck and there wasn't freezing rain now.

ALL of my windows in my apartment are frozen over.

The snow now has a top layer of ice. At least I got to the store this time before they decided to close since they decided to even earlier tonight.

reilo

Apparently we are to expect freezinh rain into Sunday night. This is bullshit.

reilo

Just got woken up by my goddamn phone because they sent out an advisory to tell me to stay indoors all day. Gah.

Just got woken up by my goddamn phone because they sent out an advisory to tell me to stay indoors all day. Gah.

Same.

Outside last night what I can only assume was a homeless woman was screaming for about 30 minutes right by my place. Fun times to wake up to.

reilo

I went outside to check on my car to make sure everything is okay (since it's parked on the street), and that damn thing is covered in half an inch thick sheet of ice all around.

The walk alone to the car was pretty sketch and even the snow is now completely frozen. Thankfully it's finally above 33F so this shit can melt.

Cat Party

Can't wait to see the disaster that will be the Monday morning commute, as people take unnecessary risks to get to work after being stuck at home for three days.

So is this Alanis Morissette irony or true irony? 'Worst Day of the Year Ride' cancels completely on account of weather (updated)
Alas, Mother Nature wins this round. We have been forced to cancel the event, or more accurately, postpone for one year. Worsening weather conditions and a forecast of freezing rain tomorrow make for unsafe conditions.

Your safety and the safety of our support staff is our number one concern, and conditions have dictated that it would be nearly impossible to guarantee the well being of everyone during this event.

We appreciate your understanding of this decision and want to thank you for your support by guaranteeing your entry into next year’s Worst Day of the Year Ride.

In its voicemail message Saturday, Good Sport Promotion said an email in the next week will contain instructions on how to claim next year's ride. It didn't mention whether cash refunds will be available on request.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hey yall, I'm starting a social video game group here in Portland.

http://playportland.weebly.com/

Humble beginnings, but I'm excited. Come play video games with me and my friends! I foolishly sold my Xbox 360 to make room for my PS4, but I want to get another one going and try to LAN some Halo. I'm also trying to track down a cheap copy of Super Smash Bros. Melee so we can get some of that going.

Make sure to go to the Boneyard Brewery tasting room so I can vicariously live through you.

I always go to Boneyard while in Bend (got a Notorious shirt, Boneyard hoodie and a hyrdoflask growler). One of my dad's best friends is the owner/brewmaster at Crux, so we're down there once or twice every year.

Doombear

Awesome. I really need to get down there. How is the Hydroflask if you don't mind? I have been on the fence since well before they tossed em up on the site to ship.

Awesome. I really need to get down there. How is the Hydroflask if you don't mind? I have been on the fence since well before they tossed em up on the site to ship.

They are absolutely amazing. I've got Crux and Boneyard ones and unless the place won't fill them, I pretty much only get growler fills in them now. They hold carbonation a ridiculously long time and stay cold for days.

I'm at Lardo East drinking yer beer and eatin yer sammiches.

Oh man. Tonkatsu with yuzu and Japanese pickles and a Pallet Jack IPA. Ommmmmmggggggg.....

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
That bad where you are?

TD felt his desk shake.

Nah, just some rather tall trees in the neighborhood lookin' like they could tumble. Luckily, nothing is close to my house that could do damage. Feel bad for my neighbor though as their gate was blown off.

Doombear

Left for work this morning, after having a hell of a time staying asleep with the house feeling like it was falling over, to find that 2 large sections of our neighbor's 6.5 foot high wooden fence had been ripped from the ground and were now in our yard. In addition part of their back fence on the street side was ripped apart.

Coming from Wyoming, I am no stranger to insane winds (shit I just made one of those "Well back where I am from" comments... shit) but it has been a long time!

Top Bottom