• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland (OR) |OT|

Dartastic

It's better than blitz cause its much more intimate. Blitz is just a sports bar trough...

Plus, space room is across the street and that place is divey as fuck
Nice. I'll have to check it out too. I wonder what the atmosphere is like there for Timbers games. I like 4-4-2 a lot (and the fact that it's like, a 6 minute walk from my house is nice too) but I'd like to switch it up sometimes. I watch games at the Lamp sometimes too; they give away a free pizza at the half, and it's usually a pretty relaxed atmosphere. The fact that I work at the Aladdin and therefore always get happy hour priced drinks at the Lamp helps too. Hah.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
It's better than blitz cause its much more intimate. Blitz is just a sports bar trough...

Plus, space room is across the street and that place is divey as fuck

Which Blitz? Blitz Ladd ain't too bad because it is nothing but a sports bar.

Blitz Pearl is trash though lol.

Doombear

Tanker is amazing. It is by far my favorite of that little hub of bars (Space Room, BOG, Sewicklys). So happy it showed up 5-6 years ago. It isn't AS good for Timbers, but the bartenders are damn nice and accommodating if a game isn't on.

Which Blitz? Blitz Ladd ain't too bad because it is nothing but a sports bar.

Blitz Pearl is trash though lol.

Ladd feels like a stable to me... it's so long and disjointed. I tried watching a wcf[?] game there last year, but there were hockey kids hootin and hollerin the whole time about the winterhawks or some shit.

EulaCapra

GAF, I can't make up my mind on what to do in Portland for a 2.5 days visit next week. Like I literally don't know what to do/where to go after the airport lol.

I'm itching to get some great nature and good eats but will have to rely on public transportation/bike rental. So what are your suggestions for an "Essential Portland Sampler" with those things in mind?

reilo

Guys quick. Best pizza place in Portland? I'm in the mood for some great pizza.

Via Tribunali across from Voodoo Donuts.

1528686_10152206613320786_647205393_n.jpg

How about best pizza that isn't artisanal? Like the best deep dish or something? I prefer pan and deep dish pizzas over all the fancy, skinny pizzas. Bonus points if it's near me out in Beaverton!

Just sort of curious.

How about best pizza that isn't artisanal? Like the best deep dish or something? I prefer pan and deep dish pizzas over all the fancy, skinny pizzas. Bonus points if it's near me out in Beaverton!

Just sort of curious.

dove vivi is sort of an approximation of deep dish, but I don't know of anything authentic around here

Sumidor

Anyone going to the Comic-Con this year? I only went on Sunday last year and it was meh. But since there's no football that weekend, I don't know what else to do with myself.

reilo

What about a good burger joint?

Tilt is alright. Grüner apparently has an amazing burger but I haven't been yet. Slow Burger is worth a visit. Bridgeport used to have my favorite pub burger but not anymore since they changed the recipe. Killer Burger has some great selection. Little Big Burger is also a good time.

If you wanna try more "chain-esque" places, you can give Five Guys and Joe's Burgers a chance. Joe's is probably the closest you'll find to In-N-Out (not quite, but close).

There's a great burger at Yakuza Lounge, there's a peanut butter burger at Killer Burger that's actually pretty good and there is Brunch Box.

reilo

Renner's in Multnomah Village has a fantastic burger. Also open til 2:30am. Not sure about the kitchen.

Tilt is alright. Grüner apparently has an amazing burger but I haven't been yet. Slow Burger is worth a visit. Bridgeport used to have my favorite pub burger but not anymore since they changed the recipe. Killer Burger has some great selection. Little Big Burger is also a good time.

If you wanna try more "chain-esque" places, you can give Five Guys and Joe's Burgers a chance. Joe's is probably the closest you'll find to In-N-Out (not quite, but close).

They make the best burger I've ever had, and this sentiment is shared by everyone I take. You can only eat it at the bar, though, unless you go for lunch.

Tilt for sure. Joes blows.

Sumidor

If you want old school, I would check out Stanich's. Greasy, cheap and delicious.

If you're willing to wait, Toro Bravo makes one of my favorite burgers. It's ridiculous to order a burger there, because of all the amazing tapas, but damn it's good.

Dartastic

I was going to take my girlfriend to Grüner for dinner tonight for her birthday but she didn't feel well so I just brought her a sandwich and a slice of cake instead. I can't wait to eat there. I've never been.

Moofers

Any good ideas for Valentine's Day dates? My wife and I have only been here like 8 months and aren't up on what cool things might be going down for V-Day.

If you haven't already gone, Mellow Mushroom in Pearl District is one of my favorite places to eat. The calzones are fuckin killer, the pizza is great, and they always have rad music playing. Last time I went they played a time from one if the Castlevania OST's. It's actually a southeast semi-chain. Not like a chain in the same sense as Dominos or whatever, but a real legit pizza place. First time I ate at one was near Atlanra, GA. Loved it there and went many times while I was in the are for a few months. Had no idea there were more until I are at the one in Portland. Apparently it's only one of two on the entire west coast.

Count me in on the LittleBigBurger nods as well.

I hit up Chiang Mai the other day.

More expensive than some thai places but well worth what I and TD had. Get the pork belly on the menu god damn.

Doombear

^ Their khao soi is probably my favorite in town, with a close second being Chaba Thai's. I love Chiang Mai. So so friendly, family run and the recipes come from her family back in Thailand directly. I am happy every time I see it packed, because there was a long time time when they first opened when it just wasn't getting the business I felt it should.

Also, the water. So good. Pandan leaves infused in the water, gives it a toasted taste that some people don't care for, but I can't get enough.

Dartastic

So, lady and I went to Gruner for her birthday belatedly, and goddamn it was good. Pricey, but yeah. Wow. So delicious. Anyway. Anyone doing anything for the Superb owl tomorrow? I was probably just gonna go watch it at The Lamp or something.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Gotta drive home from work while i look out my office window as this winter wonderland slowly building up...

Heard I5 north was a mess. Lovin this weather.

gblues

Banned
Times like this I am happy I have a job where I can work from home and not worry about whether Tri-Met will kill service to Beaverton or not.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Times like this I am happy I have a job where I can work from home and not worry about whether Tri-Met will kill service to Beaverton or not.

I'm supposed to be working from home today.

For some reason, the VPN gets pretty flaky if nobody's in the office.

Nobody's going to be in the office.

So, snow day.

Top Bottom