• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(PR)AN IMPRESSIVE LINEUP OF GAMES DEMONSTRATES APPEAL OF NINTENDO DS

I think one of the reasons why SquareEnix is really hesitant about supporting PSP is because unless its a quick and dirty port - gamers will expect, fantastic FMV and a highly polished product. Like all their standard Ps2 titles. Which will be a costly exercise.

The choices that they have (excluding ports) then are:

1) spend dev time on DS (cheaper, easier, not so expensive)

2) focus on their dev time on next gen console (Ps3, N5). If all the polish/budget is going anywhere it will be here as opposed to making another PS2/P title from scratch.

3) make new titles on the PSP.

so.. unless the PSP can demonstrate that it can take the market, I expect SE to maintain their current front of no announcements til they figure that the install base makes it worth while.

Comparatively, releasing the movie on PSP is cheaper. They're making the movie anyway and its just a matter of compressing it for the UMD. I'm sure if Nintendo wanted, they can release the FFAC movie too albeit heavily compressed, gba video proves this - isn't their media able to take files up to 1 gig? I'm not sure on this figure. In this event, Nintendo again, has the greater chance of absording and taking the franchise.

pilonv1

Here's the bigger version:

goggles.jpg

ravingloon said:
Well for the people throwing the fanboy goggles around, at least with the DS there's fucking hope. With the other handheld we know there's gonna be nothing but sequels and ports featuring identical gameplay that would be far superior on its big brother.

I sure hope you made these complaints with the GB and GBA too.

Kon Tiki

Banned
ravingloon said:
Well for the people throwing the fanboy goggles around, at least with the DS there's fucking hope. With the other handheld we know there's gonna be nothing but sequels and ports featuring identical gameplay that would be far superior on its big brother.

Well the PSP was never flaunted as original. It even has 'port' in its name :p

Not necessarily, but yeah, PSP will likely be more focused on exisiting game design. Still, I'm getting a DS (if only for a larger GBA screen), but I think I'm being fairly realistic about the innovation potential of the software for it. In any case, innovation isn't something that can be considered a guaranteed feature of the system, IMO.

Deg

Banned
TheGreenGiant said:
Comparatively, releasing the movie on PSP is cheaper. They're making the movie anyway and its just a matter of compressing it for the UMD. I'm sure if Nintendo wanted, they can release the FFAC movie too albeit heavily compressed, gba video proves this - isn't their media able to take files up to 1 gig? I'm not sure on this figure. In this event, Nintendo again, has the greater chance of absording and taking the franchise.

Actually Square dont have the choice if they want to release FFAC on a certain format. Thats Sony's decision. It Sony's job. Bear in mind Square dont publish or distribute movies.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Deg said:
Because of course new ideas HAVE NEVER been implemented in an existing franchise.

Of COURSE new ideas have been implemented...but do you really think all of those titles listed are going to offer new ideas? The point still stands that many of these titles are being developed in conjunction with OTHER versions from the same franchises for different machines. Realistically, how many of those companies do you believe will take the time to do something REALLY new for the DS when they are making the same or similar titles for other systems? With conventional consoles, this wasn't a problem...but now they must think of very different gameplay ideas.

The other point is that the concepts behind many of those titles just don't seem as though they would benefit from the DS in the first place.

dark10x said:
Greengiant, once again...look at those titles. What's the point of releasing standard games on the DS? I know you are simply pointing out the possibility of DS recieving support of the same caliber...but is that what we really want? They need drop the franchise mentality and start creating unique games...

The DS doesn't exactly seem like a good conventional system. If given the choice, I would never want to play versions of other games on the DS if they were to play basically the same.

I really think this is simply going to require a VERY different perspective on the design of games.

Um. standard games + franchises will help to establish userbase?? I mean what is Sony counting on to help sell psp? Media ability (pfft.. umd is bad/ you can't do shit with your current music or movies.. once pirated/hacked/burnable maybe...) and what about their games. Gt4? PORTS~!!

I wonder if we'll see Ocarina and MM on DS? I wonder if it'd sell consider the zelda collector discs?

Deg

Banned
dark10x said:
Of COURSE new ideas have been implemented...but do you really think all of those titles listed are going to offer new ideas? The point still stands that many of these titles are being developed in conjunction with OTHER versions from the same franchises for different machines. Realistically, how many of those companies do you believe will take the time to do something REALLY new for the DS when they are making the same or similar titles for other systems? With conventional consoles, this wasn't a problem...but now they must think of very different gameplay ideas.

The other point is that the concepts behind many of those titles just don't seem as though they would benefit from the DS in the first place.

Welcome to gaming! Do you want a full tour and history lesson? Its always been obvious that many games wont bother with many features of the DS like touch screen or dual screen. I am sure some will play exclusively as conventional games. At the same time there will be plenty of franchises here that will make use of all the functions. And then there will be bad and good games and games that dont sell well and games that will cause people in forums to have an uproar.

pilonv1

The precedent has been set before:

Ports/re-releases on non Nintendo hardware = milking and lazy

Ports/re-releases on Nintendo hardware = glorious chances of reliving amazing gaming experiences for another $30, even though you own the previous eight releases.

Well UMD is just an atempt to force a format that is probably not going to work outside of PSP, consider that movies in UMD format are probably going to be close to dvds in price only a fool would shell out money for a movie in UMD when they can get the dvd version with much more content. its going to be another mini disc......

Society said:
headscratch.gif

I only made that one. Poorly at that.

if only you weren't so eager to be cynical. This is a discussion of DS titles after all.

it was meant to be ironic and also serious at the same time. I am HIGHLY aware that the DS would/could be N64 port central but so far, it doesn't look it. Nintendo will probably want to do fresh new titles for the DS and I'll be surprised to see ports from them @ launch. I would expect ports eventually but the question really was about whether or not Nintendo has devalued these titles with the freebies. If they weren't given out for the WW launch, they'd probably sell like hotcakes.

Deg

Banned
pilonv1 said:

Ports/re-releases on Nintendo hardware = glorious chances of reliving amazing gaming experiences for another $30, even though you own the previous eight releases.

Nice reading comprehension ;)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Bluemercury said:
Well UMD is just an atempt to force a format that is probably not going to work outside of PSP, consider that movies in UMD format are probably going to be close to dvds in price only a fool would shell out money for a movie in UMD when they can get the dvd version with much more content. its going to be another mini disc......

So on which format will they ship PSP games ?

pilonv1 said:

judging by Nintendo's Mario Famicom mini sales (which I believe are about 500k sold or $500k worth of sales). Free money is never a bad business decision. I believe the numbers even surprised Nintendo. Why hate Nintendo for doing what any business if they can, would do the same for?

TheGreenGiant said:
judging by Nintendo's Mario Famicom mini sales (which I believe are about 500k sold or $500k worth of sales). Free money is never a bad business decision. I believe the numbers even surprised Nintendo. Why hate Nintendo for doing what any business if they can, would do the same for?

It's not about blaming Nintendo, it's about blaming fanboys who will complain about one company re releasing software while being happy about another company doing the samething.

pilonv1

Nothing wrong with it business wise, it's a proven fact that Nintendo could sell a repackaged phone book due to it's fans blind faith. Neither system will be safe from ports, so it's hardly a point to argue over.

wazoo

I do not expect many N64 ports, mainly because most N64 games were either bad (3rd party games), RARE games (no chance to see it on DS), Nintendo games (already ported to Cube in updated form).

So beside some Nintendo inhouse games like the 2 Zelda or Mario 64, there were not many unique games IMO (ogre battle 64, sin and punishment, rocket ?).

It is not a surprise that one of the DS lauch title is an original Metroid game.

SolidSnakex said:
It's not about blaming Nintendo, it's about blaming fanboys who will complain about one company re releasing software while being happy about another company doing the samething.

SONY : no ports for psp

MS : no ports for xboxen

NINTENDO : we love money

nubbe

Just because you played a game 10 years ago doesn’t mean that a kid who is 10 years old today has ever played it.

You could ask that kid what he thinks about the game and tell him it is 10 years old... and he wouldn’t believe that it is older then him and still have a more enjoyable gaming experience then most of today’s games.
The games are timeless masterpieces that will continue to appeal to kids for centuries to come.

Deg

Banned
nubbe said:
Just because you played a game 10 years ago doesn’t mean that a kid who is 10 years old today has ever played it.

You could ask that kid what he thinks about the game and tell him it is 10 years old... and he wouldn’t believe that it is older then him and still have a more enjoyable gaming experience then most of today’s games.
The games are timeless masterpieces that will continue to appeal to kids for centuries to come.

I actually havent played SMB3 yet :p i brought ALTTP afew weeks ago. I didnt have a ocnsole in the SNES days. Was a pc type person.

pilonv1 said:

I dont see anything wrong with that, hell I would love to see Nintendo re-release the NES again for 129$ and the games for 29.95$

Deg

Banned
Insertia said:
but...but...where are teh original games and innovation?!?!?

Use some common sense. Why are there hardly any original games around?

You have a crystal ball to tell us that these games arent doing anything new?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Deg said:
Use some common sense. Why are there hardly any original games around?

You have a crystal ball to tell us that these games arent doing anything new?

You seem far too willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. What is the point of DS if most of the games are conventional? They may not be...none of us know. If they are, though (which is very likely)...what is the point?

Prine

Banned
Id be happy with a port of PES4 for my PSP over any other handheld title available.

Main reason for buying a PSP. Pro Evo on the go!

Deg

Banned
dark10x said:
What is the point of DS if most of the games are conventional? They may not be...none of us know. If they are, though (which is very likely)...what is the point?

and you are so sure you sound like you have visions of the future?

I have never said i expect these games to be such and such but rather a multitude of types. What we ussualy expect on any console. There will be games that are conventional. Why do you think DS has a 6 buttons and a dpad for? So you end up not using them?

EA's DS Sims game for example will be using the DS exclusive features for example. But according to most people's smart logic here Sims is on the Pr list and its an existing franchise. So... iTs teH pRot/rEHasH!!1!

:p

AirBrian

For once, I'd like to see a DS (or PSP) thread where it doesn't end up bickering over who is going to have more ports. None of us know for a fact. Even with the announced DS games, we don't know what the developers are going to do to utilize the two screens. Until we get more information, this bickering is very useless and quite annoying.

BTW, GB/GBA is a port machine? Where’s Jarrod to lay the smack down?!

Maybe we should have a stickied DS vs. PSP thread...

AirBrian said:
BTW, GB/GBA is a port machine? Where’s Jarrod to lay the smack down?!

It's not a port machine. The complaint on the PSP is that it's just going to let you play games that you could play on consoles, not the exact games always but similar ones. So couldn't the samething be said about the GB/GBA? The entire point of handhelds is to be able to do exactly that, take games you normally couldn't play except for in your house on the road, to school, to work ect. with you. Unless that's no longer the reason for them.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Has Rockstar even announced that they're supporting the DS? As of E3 they'd only announced that they're making PSP games.
Actually they didn't even officially announce that... though we know their new Leeds Studio (who made Max Payne GBA previously) is working on 2 PSP games. I think it's safe to assume Rockstar will be supporting both platforms though, DS is just going to be too successful to justify not supporting...

SantaCruZer said:
hmm I am just wondering where the new Goemon and Namco RPG went
THis is the USA list... maybe they're not ready to be announced for our market (ifthey come at all)?

ge-man

What's the problem? The PSP is going to have the same issues as well. Portables have always been treated like console little brothers by third parties--new, more powerful handhelds won't change that.

That doesn't mean that the DS's new features won't be implemented in these games, but people expecting a whole bunch of new titles during the first generation of NDS and PSP software are living a dream.

akascream

Banned
FF:CC for DS will indeed rock.

Unless that's no longer the reason for them.

Depends on who you talk to. For me, handheld devices are just another platform I have to buy if I want to play all the games. So I guess I'm kinda excited about the new functionality of the DS with the touch screen (less about the 2 screens, but that too).

explodet

The following list includes a partial sampling of publishers and Nintendo DS games in development for the Western Hemisphere, with more to be announced in the future.

Square Enix Co., Ltd.
A new story of Slime Morimori Dragon Quest
Dragon Quest Monsters series
Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it.

SolidSnakex said:
I sure hope you made these complaints with the GB and GBA too.

I have.

Edit: Although I've also said it's one saving grace is that it's the only viable platform that still supports 2D. So for that, it gets points for the rare original 2D game.

AirBrian

SolidSnakex said:
It's not a port machine. The complaint on the PSP is that it's just going to let you play games that you could play on consoles, not the exact games always but similar ones. So couldn't the samething be said about the GB/GBA? The entire point of handhelds is to be able to do exactly that, take games you normally couldn't play except for in your house on the road, to school, to work ect. with you. Unless that's no longer the reason for them.
Personally, I agree with you on the above statement. But I think the argument is more about simply creating portable versions of existing games vs. creating new franchises and original content. There are tons of games I’d love to be able to take on the road. However, I also want original games that I can’t play on my home console. I think DS and PSP will provide both, but I’m sure I’m in the minority.

Prine said:
Id be happy with a port of PES4 for my PSP over any other handheld title available.

Main reason for buying a PSP. Pro Evo on the go!

I sure hope that PES4 will be better than WE8, the latest WE is full of stupid problems that could have been easily solved.......

TheGreenGiant said:
you know or you're just talking out of the arse. I think the latter. At least they bother to ANNOUNCE their Ds titles.

Sony's basically shutting everyone up about any PSP games right now. If there are any Square games it's probably best just to keep the quite at E3. Just go for a huge announcement at TGS since that's when they're letting all their PSP games out of the bag.

Top Bottom