• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(PR)AN IMPRESSIVE LINEUP OF GAMES DEMONSTRATES APPEAL OF NINTENDO DS

GDGF

Soothsayer
I guess I was right. August 10th :)

Good list, but way too much stuff hidden under the veils of 'x additional titles in development'. That bodes well, though. I'd imagine that those would be our more 'out there' titles.

Another good thing though, (and i was so hoping that this would happen) is apparently, Orbital's titles have been switched to the NDS! Thanks's Crazymoogle!

A little Pirate (and even a Ninja hidden in there) action for everyone :)

Oh, and that Konami list has grown like a mofo! I'm guessing they like the machine! Don't be too depressed about the absence of Goemon on the list. If it doesn't cross the waters, you can always import. That's a great strength of Nintendo handhelds. No region lock.

sohka88

sohka88, on principle, is very pro-Sony

Please point to any thread were I went into it and was very "pro-sony"

jarrods opinion is that square will support the DS more than the PSP. I disagree.. WOW I AM PRO SONY....

sohka88 said:

jarrods opinion is that square will support the DS more than the PSP. I disagree.. WOW I AM PRO SONY....
But Square is really starting to warm up to Nintendo. Just look at the number of releases on the GBA and now the titles announced for the DS. There are quite a lot. I wouldn't be surprised to see SE put more of their efforts into the handheld and mobile market.

sohka88 said:

*Shakes head*

Poor little guy...

GDGF

Soothsayer
Awwww. I want to see that awesome looking pirate RPG on the DS :)

Anychance that you could give up a hint or two as to what you guys are working on DS wise?

Greekboy

Banned
jarrod said:
This isn't rocket science, unless PSP emerges as market leader, it won't be getting market leader support from Square Enix. That doesn't mean it'll get nothing though, far from it...

Why is this so hard for people to grasp?

jarrod said:
Why does everyone assume PS3 automatically locks up primary Square Enix support but not DS.

The PS3 getting the most Square Enix support isn't for sure, but it is that they'll get it at the start because of how the PS2 performed. How things pan out over the long run is still to be determined.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Lisa Lashes said:
Why is this so hard for people to grasp?

Because some of the people that want a PSP based that decision on the assumption that it would have more than Final Fantasy the movie, and since right now that doesn't seem the case (and since Square has done nothing but badmouth the PSP since it's introduction), well, I would imagine that those people would be kind of upset.

[Drinky Crow] Buy a Nintendo DS! [/Drinky Crow]

(hey, that does kinda feel good :))

Greekboy

Banned
Lost Weekend said:
Because some of the people that want a PSP based that decision on the assumption that it would have more than Final Fantasy the movie, and since right now that doesn't seem the case (and since Square has done nothing but badmouth the PSP since it's introduction), well, I would imagine that those people would be kind of upset.

That would make them delusional.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I dunno, Square support really isn't that important anymore...at least as of late.

The ONLY Squaresoft developed title I've really enjoyed this gen is FFX. Beyond that, I can't say they've really done much for me. I enjoyed Drakengard and await SO3, but Square themselves didn't even create those games...

I enjoyed their efforts during the PSX days much more. Not only did they crank out many great RPGs (many of which had nothing to do with FF), they also released a large number of unique and enjoyable non-RPG titles.

dark10x said:
I dunno, Square support really isn't that important anymore...at least as of late.

THey hold alot more importance in the console field than they do in the handheld because they create their big series for console while just porting or doing spinoffs for handhelds. SE comined only have 3 million sellers in Japan for both GBA platforms.

Deg

Banned
The offical website mentions they have a further 4 titles in development but no names and details. I believe those are the DS games. The 4 GBA games are indeed seperate.

BuddyC

Cool stuff, but oodles of this was already known from the E3 Press Kit :/

Still, not everyone got to see that stuff as it kinda got lost in the crowd during that crazy week.

jarrod

Banned
Crazymoogle said:
1. Nope
2. That isn't a list of launch titles.
So, when can we expect Racing Gears DS and Pirate Battle 2: Black Armada Rising? :)

SolidSnakex said:
THey hold alot more importance in the console field than they do in the handheld because they create their big series for console while just porting or doing spinoffs for handhelds. SE comined only have 3 million sellers in Japan for both GBA platforms.
You're right somewhat, the only real significat game maker in the handheld arena is.... Nintendo. :/

Konami, Capcom, Square Enix & Bandai all rank pretty evenly after that for Japanese companies. Still, Square and Bandai were enough to keep WonderSwan going awhile... their support definitely means something... if situations were reversed and they had 5 PSP games announced rather than DS, I think their importance would be viewed diferently by most around here though (as was assumed before any official announcements). ;)

sohka88

What do you think will sell more, the PSP square movie or all the announced DS games together? (I am not trying to say one is better than the other) ( I am not putting more importance on a movie) (I am not getting either the DS or the PSP as I do not play games on the go)

sohka88 said:
What do you think will sell more, the PSP square movie or all the announced DS games together? (I am not trying to say one is better than the other) ( I am not putting more importance on a movie) (I am not getting either the DS or the PSP as I do not play games on the go)

The DS games pretty easily, Advent Children is going to be on another format. Plus DQMonsters is really popular, the other games aren't so much although atleast FFCC and Mana will put up some decent numbers.

jarrod

Banned
Slime Morimori's pretty popular also, it managed 300K+.

I think Egg Monster Heroes could really benefit if it's a "deeper" launch game. Similar to CoTM at GBA launch.

Glad to see all Square Enix's games are US bound though. Almost makes up for missing Caravan Hearts and Slime Morimori on GBA... almost....

P90

sohka88 said:

The games. History has shown Square games sell much more than Square movies. ;)

FoneBone

jarrod said:
Glad to see all Square Enix's games are US bound though. Almost makes up for missing Caravan Hearts and Slime Morimori on GBA...
Eh... I won't believe it until SE USA issues a press release itself.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Bleh, i was expecting screenshots on august 10th, price of the DS and all other details. It will launch in a few months, wtf is nintendo doing?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I'd like to see more PC-like games on this thing.

The two screens and stylus control make the device more of a "lean-in" type of gaming platform. Those old D&D dungeon crawlers and the point-in-click PC adventure games (LSL, SpaceQuest, etc.) come to mind.

Also, how about this for a GTA adaptaiton...

Instead of controlling the thug running around, you become the "crime-boss" by issueing instructions and orders via the stylus. i.e. "Go to 4th and Martin Luther King Bld.; pick up package from waiting taxi". You could watch the computer controlled character run around the city causing trouble, sometimes on its own, sometimes via your orders, and steer the action by writing short text messages...or even the mic!? You could even control two or three characters, and really mix it up by desiging elaborate heist plots and or pitting them againt each other.

jarrod

Banned
DrLazy said:
So what major publishers are not on board with the DS? Midway, (Microsoft and Sony obviously) Who else?
None besides Take 2 (though they might've confirmed support in their conference call, not sure?). . There's some secondary western publishers (Midway, Eidos, Codemasters, Acclaim, etc) though most of them haven't committed to PSP either.

<sp0rsks> 2 pages full of shit in that ds 3rd party soft thread and no pictures
<Wario64> let me guess, the whole thread is psp vs nds
<Mike_Works> I'll fix that, sporks

horsie.jpg

horsie.gif

sea_horsie.jpg

andthebeatgoeson

SolidSnakex said:
It's not about blaming Nintendo, it's about blaming fanboys who will complain about one company re releasing software while being happy about another company doing the samething.

Or damage control to ignore the stated goal to not have ports end up on the PSP.

AniHawk

dark10x said:

The ONLY Squaresoft developed title I've really enjoyed this gen is FFX. Beyond that, I can't say they've really done much for me. I enjoyed Drakengard and await SO3, but Square themselves didn't even create those games...

I enjoyed their efforts during the PSX days much more. Not only did they crank out many great RPGs (many of which had nothing to do with FF), they also released a large number of unique and enjoyable non-RPG titles.

I heard this argument before. Back in 1997 and 1998.

"Yeah, Square isn't really that important anymore. The last great game they made was Final Fantasy VI."

Please.

Jacobi

Banned
Hm, did even anyone care about those Majesco games ?
It are those few which sound original and aren't a sequel to something or a crappy license

cja

jarrod said:
None besides Take 2 (though they might've confirmed support in their conference call, not sure?). . There's some secondary western publishers (Midway, Eidos, Codemasters, Acclaim, etc) though most of them haven't committed to PSP either.
Noticed this from Midway's 10-Q:
In 2003, Sony announced that it would enter the handheld market with the introduction of PSP, a handheld platform. PSP is currently expected to be released in the United States toward the end of the first quarter of 2005. Nintendo more recently announced that it plans to launch a new dual-screened, portable game system, NDS, before the end of 2004. We do not anticipate the introduction of new products to the handheld market to significantly impact our business as we are currently not marketing new front-line releases to handheld devices.

Soul4ger

jarrod said:
For the curious...

Confirmed N64 to DS ports
-Animal Crossing
-Super Mario 64x4

Confirmed PS2 to PSP ports
-Activision Anthology
-Armored Core: Formula Front
-Frogger 2005
-Gran Turismo 4: Mobile
-NBA Street
-Need for Speed Underground
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour
-Tony Hawk's Underground 2
-Ys: The Ark of Napishtam

...other games could turn out to be ports on both sides (Snowboard Kids DS, Hot Shots Golf PSP, etc) but nothing's been set in stone.

I thought Ape Escape was a confirmed port, too, though I'm not entirely sure how... And Tales of Eternia/Destiny II. YOU'RE MISSING SOME, BEENOTCH.

And the DS list needs more Gyakuten Saiban.

jarrod

Banned
Soul4ger said:
I thought Ape Escape was a confirmed port, too, though I'm not entirely sure how... And Tales of Eternia/Destiny II. YOU'RE MISSING SOME, BEENOTCH.
I was just listing PS2 games, not PS1. :p

ManaByte said:
There's a PS2 version of Formula Front?
Yep, comes out this winter and connects with the PSP version.

jarrod said:
Yep, comes out this winter and connects with the PSP version.

Now is it really that bad everyone? Will it take the stone cold faceless devil that is Sony to show everyone that connectivity is actually fun?

Top Bottom