• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(PR)AN IMPRESSIVE LINEUP OF GAMES DEMONSTRATES APPEAL OF NINTENDO DS

akascream

Banned
Sony's basically shutting everyone up about any PSP games right now. If there are any Square games it's probably best just to keep the quite at E3. Just go for a huge announcement at TGS since that's when they're letting all their PSP games out of the bag.

Hehe, wait for TGS!! ;)

AirBrian said:
Personally, I agree with you on the above statement. But I think the argument is more about simply creating portable versions of existing games vs. creating new franchises and original content. There are tons of games I’d love to be able to take on the road. However, I also want original games that I can’t play on my home console. I think DS and PSP will provide both, but I’m sure I’m in the minority.

The thing is PSP is basically a Ps2 portable right?So its going to be harder for the companies to differentiate the ports since they'll be visually almost equal, where the Ds ports thing will be based on a dead platform(N64) and many people young people havent played those old games. Its like Sony will be competing against themselfs in a way........its like this: i can play GT4 on ps2 and on psp so which console should i buy?

Kon Tiki

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Sony's basically shutting everyone up about any PSP games right now. If there are any Square games it's probably best just to keep the quite at E3. Just go for a huge announcement at TGS since that's when they're letting all their PSP games out of the bag.

I agree. These vidiots are talking like the PSP has been out for years without a Square title.

Bluemercury said:
The thing is PSP is basically a Ps2 portable right?So its going to be harder for the companies to differentiate the ports since they'll be visually almost equal, where the Ds ports thing will be based on a dead platform(N64) and many people young people havent played those old games.

That's assuming that all the PSP will see are ports of existing games. Which isn't going to be the case obviously. It's going to have PS2 level graphics yah, but it's not going to be hard for people to tell games apart since they're going to be different games.

"When's TGS? January?"

September.

Deg

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
That's assuming that all the PSP will see are ports of existing games. Which isn't going to be the case obviously. It's going to have PS2 level graphics yah, but it's not going to be hard for people to tell games apart since they're going to be different games.

"When's TGS? January?"

September.

Yeah worth seeing what happens at TGS

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Easy DS fans, some of you are getting extremely defensive...you should know the symptoms from spending extensive time trying to incite the same thing in PSP threads. ;)

AirBrian and akaScream are the saviors of the thread thus far.

For me, handheld devices are just another platform I have to buy if I want to play all the games.
That about wraps it up.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Maybe had Square Enix officials not come out against PSP's intended direction (or lack there of) and basically said they weren't making games for it there might be some hope... right now though it looks as if GC level support is the best PSP can expect from Square Enix (ie: noncommitable "support" that results in a project or two). Sony needs to start bending over backwards to get them on it though, Square Enix would be the best shot for PSP's success in Japan.

jarrod said:
Maybe had Square Enix officials not come out against PSP's intended direction (or lack there of) and basically said they weren't making games for it there might be some hope...

So did several other companies and they're on board and making games. :p Konami's president probably ripped the system the most and they're still making games for it. TGS is only a month away anyway.

AirBrian

Bluemercury said:
The thing is PSP is basically a Ps2 portable right?So its going to be harder for the companies to differentiate the ports since they'll be visually almost equal, where the Ds ports thing will be based on a dead platform(N64) and many people young people havent played those old games. Its like Sony will be competing against themselfs in a way........its like this: i can play GT4 on ps2 and on psp so which console should i buy?
Yes, in a sense Sony is competing with itself, but the consumer is still buying a Sony product so it’s a moot point and not really the issue to me.

I think the DS has much more potential as far as original content just based on the hardware. Whether or not developers take advantage of the “clean slate” given to them is a different story. But let’s be honest here, both systems will get ports -- and that’s OK with me as long as we get new/original content as well.

Zenny

Banned
Society said:
Will you be saying that after Crono Cross PSP and DQ PSP? huh huh?
Should DQ ever eventuate on the PSP it will be in the last life cycle of the handheld.
DQ is the biggest selling series in JAPAN and people skip school and work in order to get it.
They will never waste their time on the PSP unless it was in every house hold.

I guess you will be stuck with MGS "The Card Game" and Final Fantasy "The movie"
Baha haha

These DS games are coming out within the first few months of Nintendo's handheld going on sale.
Nintendo has the handheld monopoly down pat, as does Sony with it's main console.
No one in their right mind wants to take any risks at this stage.

SolidSnakex said:

"When's TGS? January?"

September.

The EA series and GT4 are an example, can you really believe these games will be that different? yes DS will have ports but there is an incentive to do different things because the machine is obviously limited compared to the home consoles and because of the stylus and 2nd screen whereas with PSP will make easy to developers to just make a port of the ps2 change a thing here and there and voi la its done.....like dark10x said, there are going to be games on DS that will just be ordinary games which will not use the stylus or the 2nd screen in interesting ways because that's the hard route and we all know developers(specially the mediocre ones) like to follow the easy route and this applies to PSP also. If you're expecting many differences between a PSP vs PS2 version of the same game you're in for a dissapointment...........

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
To be fair, Kaching, both sides are just saying "wait and see". But thanks for applying for Thread Parent. We'll look over your qualifications and make a decision as soon as we can. For future reference, I prefer wetnaps and air drying to the scrub and powder combo.

Zenny said:
Should DQ ever eventuate on the PSP it will be in the last life cycle of the handheld.
DQ is the biggest selling series in JAPAN and people skip school and work in order to get it.
They will never waste their time on the PSP unless it was in every house hold.

I don't think a handheld will ever get a "real" DQ sequel. Those are reserved for consoles only. Now there's no problem with them porting older DQ's to the PSP. Howabout DQ7 running on the DQ8 engine for example? Or just throw it onto the DQV remake engine. Lots of possibilities there.

"If you're expecting many differences between a PSP vs PS2 version of the same game you're in for a dissapointment........."

I never said there are going to be big differences. I just said there aren't going to be as many instances of that happening as people think outside of sports games.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
So did several other companies and they're on board and making games. :p Konami's president probably ripped the system the most and they're still making games for it. TGS is only a month away anyway.
Konami comments were more along the lines of worrying over diversification... Square Enix said they didn't see much potential at all in the machine due to it's lack of market direction. FF7AC is their test product, like FFCC on GameCube... if it does well we'll probably see more specific releases, though it's doubtful PSP will ever become Square Enix's handheld focus (unless there's an overwhelming market shift).

Konami's also throwing quite a bit more support towards DS than PSP. But whatever, keep chanting "wait for spac... er.. TGS!" :p

jarrod

Banned
For the curious...

Confirmed N64 to DS ports
-Animal Crossing
-Super Mario 64x4

Confirmed PS2 to PSP ports
-Activision Anthology
-Armored Core: Formula Front
-Frogger 2005
-Gran Turismo 4: Mobile
-NBA Street
-Need for Speed Underground
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour
-Tony Hawk's Underground 2
-Ys: The Ark of Napishtam

...other games could turn out to be ports on both sides (Snowboard Kids DS, Hot Shots Golf PSP, etc) but nothing's been set in stone.

jarrod said:
Konami's also throwing quite a bit more support towards DS than PSP. But whatever, keep chanting "wait for spac... er.. TGS!" :p

What else do you want? Sony said at E3 2003 that they'd unveil the PSP at E3 2004. Did they do that? Yep. They said they'd the big unveiling for the games would be at TGS. That's upcoming, no reason to believe that won't occur.

Kon Tiki

Banned
jarrod said:
For the curious...

Confirmed N64 to DS ports
-Animal Crossing
-Super Mario 64x4

Confirmed PS2 to PSP ports
-Activision Anthology
-Armoured Core: Formula Front
-Frogger 2005
-Gran Turismo 4: Mobile
-NBA Street
-Need for Speed Underground
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour
-Tony Hawk's Underground 2
-Ys: The Ark of Napishtam

...other games could turn out to be ports on both sides (Snowboard Kids DS, Hot Shots Golf PSP, etc) but northing's been set in stone.

Cleverly leaving out GCN to DS ports. ;)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Society said:

I don't think that counts, as DS is not even remotely close to matching the GC's power....

Any GC -> DS games would have to be remade, not ported.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
What else do you want? Sony said at E3 2003 that they'd unveil the PSP at E3 2004. Did they do that? Yep. They said they'd the big unveiling for the games would be at TGS. That's upcoming, no reason to believe that won't occur.
Despite Sony's inital claims, Nintendo forced their hand into announcing games at E3 also. I think TGS will result more in showing off the already announced (significantly large) JP lineup than tons of new announcements on top... Sony's actually been swifter with PSP announcements than Nintendo has with DS, despite their machine coming later.

Society said:
Cleverly I also left out the confirmed DC & PS1 ports on PSP. I didn't leave out any confirmed GC to DS ports.... since there aren't any so far. ;)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
TheGreenGiant said:
you know or you're just talking out of the arse. I think the latter. At least they bother to ANNOUNCE their Ds titles.

anorectum.gif

Is that a screenshot from that Cadecus game? :p

jarrod

Banned
sohka88 said:
Do people actually think square will not make games for the PSP? people really are blind.
Of course they will, I think the point being that DS will be getting the brunt of support (like PlayStation in the home market). Actually, I'm sort of expecting some limited Xenon development too... Square Enix has voiced that they're interested in multiplatform support all around.

jarrod

Banned
Society said:
Actually I was refering to the ENTIRE EA Lineup. Since you included NFS on PSP.
That isn't confirmed. However in an intervoiew EA mentioned PSP dev costs being lower than expected due to ther products being ports.

If anything EA's DS games will be enhanced GBA ports rather than downgraded PS2 ports I'd imagine.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Goreomedy said:
To be fair, Kaching, both sides are just saying "wait and see". But thanks for applying for Thread Parent. We'll look over your qualifications and make a decision as soon as we can. For future reference, I prefer wetnaps and air drying to the scrub and powder combo.
Heh...if it's all just a bunch of people "just saying" wait and see, then we'd all be doing that by now, don't you think? On the other hand, if this is more akin to classic partisan bickering, then it would certainly explain why we're still at this practically daily, after numerous "wait and see" requests...

kaching said:
On the other hand, if this is more akin to classic partisan bickering, then it would certainly explain why we're still at this practically daily...
Because this period of time, just as new systems are being announced and readied for release, is the most fun. There are still a lot of unknown quantities, and that's a hole best filled with speculation and bullshit.

sohka88

Of course they will, I think the point being that DS will be getting the brunt of support (like PlayStation in the home market)

Jarrod, you always seem to be wrong about everything.... You will be wrong about this too.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
sohka88 said:
Jarrod, you always seem to be wrong about everything.... You will be wrong about this too.
Wha...? As long as I've been going to the GA boards, jarrod's been pretty consistent in his knowledge of all things handheld. I'd put more stock in what he says about the DS/PSP/GBA/whatever than just about anyone else here.

human5892 said:
Wha...? As long as I've been going to the GA boards, jarrod's been pretty consistent in his knowledge of all things handheld. I'd put more stock in what he says about the DS/PSP/GBA/whatever than just about anyone else here.

Except no one can tell what Square is going to do. At the start of this gen would you have thought that they'd be developing for the GC and considering developing for MS next console? I really doubt it.

ge-man

sohka88 said:

Come on, let's be serious. This isn't the console war, these are handhelds. Nintendo literally controls this market. If the DS does very well this winter, I think Square support will be bigger than the PSP. It's not like Jarrod is saying that PSP won't get huge titles from Square, but support will not be as extensive.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
SolidSnakex said:
Except no one can tell what Square is going to do. At the start of this gen would you have thought that they'd be developing for the GC and considering developing for MS next console? I really doubt it.
First off, I doubt very much that Square-Enix is thinking about treating MS' next console any more seriously than they've treated the Xbox. I'm tired of people throwing that tired PR quote around.

Secondly, no, I didn't expect them to return to the GC, and I'm sure not many others did, either. I'm not saying it's possible to predict their every move. But as far as well-educated speculating goes, jarrod's proven to be tops. Nobody's saying his word is the absolute truth -- just that it's a good bet.

human5892 said:
First off, I doubt very much that Square-Enix is thinking about treating MS' next console any more seriously than they've treated the Xbox. I'm tired of people throwing that tired PR quote around.

Secondly, no, I didn't expect them to return to the GC, and I'm sure not many others did, either. I'm not saying it's possible to predict their every move. But as far as well-educated speculating goes, jarrod's proven to be tops. Nobody's saying his word is the absolute truth -- just that it's a good bet.

Saying that is the same as saying that that the DS is going to be more succesful and there's no way of telling which one will be more succcesful or if either of them will even be a success. For all we know both of these machines could just bomb out and people will just stick to the GBA and wait for the next GB. It way too early on to say which will be getting stronger support in the long run. Right now it's clearly the DS, but 2 years from now it could very well be the PSP, or neither because they both sink like a rock.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Nintendo: give us the goddamn release date, price and first-party lineup already! Nothing else matters. Well that, and the surgical simultaion.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Kobun Heat said:
Because this period of time, just as new systems are being announced and readied for release, is the most fun. There are still a lot of unknown quantities, and that's a hole best filled with speculation and bullshit.
...as provided by a group of people who have raised subjectivity to an art form.

But I guess I'm getting the hint that you guys like wallowing in this particular mud hole, so I won't question it further :)

FoneBone

Chittagong said:
Nintendo: give us the goddamn release date, price and first-party lineup already! Nothing else matters. Well that, and the surgical simultaion.
IAWTP

Why, this close to launch, are they still withholding so much info? That's unprecedented, at least in recent years.

explodet

sohka88, on principle, is very pro-Sony and will make these types of blanket statements without any evidence.

There. I said it, I'll say it again if I have to.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
FoneBone said:
IAWTP

Why, this close to launch, are they still withholding so much info? That's unprecedented, at least in recent years.

I'm confused by that as well. Nintendo should be pushing this full force right now.

What I need to see, is that these games, both first and third party, have internet support. THE most important aspect for me. If I can't play Advance Wars DS against GAF within a year of release... Nintendo can kiss my ass.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
SolidSnakex said:
Saying that is the same as saying that that the DS is going to be more succesful and there's no way of telling which one will be more succcesful or if either of them will even be a success. For all we know both of these machines could just bomb out and people will just stick to the GBA and wait for the next GB. It way too early on to say which will be getting stronger support in the long run. Right now it's clearly the DS, but 2 years from now it could very well be the PSP, or neither because they both sink like a rock.
Well, obviously. As I said, I don't think jarrod is attempting to definitively predict the future. What he is doing is offering an educated guess on how things may pan out due to the information we have now. There's nothing wrong with speculating.

AirBrian

Chittagong said:
Isn't at least the release lineup going to be announced Thursday? Is the price and date also in the famed Aug. 12th announcement?

jarrod

Banned
sohka88 said:
Coming from the authority...

SolidSnakex said:
Or that they'd even shift the brunt of support to those platforms... oh wait.

Why does everyone assume PS3 automatically locks up primary Square Enix support but not DS. They're both the legacy market leaders... hell just looking at what's been announced you can tell how things will play out. This isn't rocket science, unless PSP emerges as market leader, it won't be getting market leader support from Square Enix. That doesn't mean it'll get nothing though, far from it...

Top Bottom