• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(PR) EA Signs Superstar DJ Paul Oakenfold to Score GoldenEye: Rogue Agent

AirBrian

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 12, 2004--Electronic Arts (Nasdaq:ERTS - News) today announced that world-renowned DJ Paul Oakenfold is contributing to the stellar lineup of Hollywood artists lending their talent to the highly anticipated game, GoldenEye: Rogue Agent(TM). As music supervisor, Oakenfold will compose an original score and create the game's overarching musical personality with hard-driving, rhythmic beats hand-crafted for every mission.

Oakenfold has enjoyed two decades of worldwide acclaim as one of the top dance and electronic music DJs. Since entering the world of theatrical music composition four years ago, Oakenfold has created scores and other musical contributions for such high-profile motion pictures as Get Carter (2000), Swordfish (2001), Planet of the Apes (2001), The Bourne Identity (2002), Austin Powers: Goldmember (2002), and The Matrix Reloaded (2003), as well as the theme song for the NBC TV show "Las Vegas."

"By allowing fans to step into the shoes of the 'bad guys', GoldenEye: Rogue Agent is the most exciting, cutting-edge episode of the Bond video game series to date," said Patrick Gilmore, Executive Producer at EALA. "We feel that to deliver a blockbuster entertainment experience, this game deserves a dynamic musical score and world-class production values that reflect the rebellious and original style of the game itself. We wanted the best of the best, and this lineup is just that."

GoldenEye: Rogue Agent's notable talent roster also includes Christopher Lee, who reprises his role as the villainous Francisco Scaramanga from The Man with the Golden Gun and Judi Dench, who returns as M and has appeared in four James Bond(TM) films to date. Additionally, this action-packed title will feature character likenesses of such legendary Bond villains as Xenia Onatopp, forever remembered from the film GoldenEye, the legendary henchman Oddjob featured in Goldfinger, and the nefarious Dr. No from the film of the same name.

Rounding out the talent behind the game is Academy Award®-winning Production Designer Sir Ken Adam (James Bond series), Costume Designer Kym Barrett (The Matrix trilogy), and Character Designer Rene Morel (Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within). Developed at EA's spectacular new studio in Los Angeles, California, GoldenEye: Rogue Agent is being produced by a stellar creative team that currently consists of more than 120 accomplished artists, game designers, and engineers, including veterans of such hits as Shrek, Titanic, Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones, and X-Men 2.

GoldenEye: Rogue Agent goes where no previous James Bond game has dared to tread, giving players the chance to cross over to the dark side of the Bond universe to experience life as a high-rolling, cold-hearted villain. The focus of this first-person shooter shifts from that of 007(TM) himself to the corrupt underworld and its criminal masterminds. Players encounter such legendary allies and enemies as Oddjob, Dr. No, Goldfinger, Scaramanga, Xenia Onatopp, and Pussy Galore on globe-spanning missions of vengeance and demolition. The game seamlessly integrates single-player, multiplayer split-screen, and online gameplay(a) for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and the Xbox® video game system from Microsoft. Featured game modes include story-driven campaign missions, deathmatch-style simulator trials, and objective-based war games.

Officially licensed by MGM Interactive, GoldenEye: Rogue Agent is scheduled to ship this November on the PlayStation 2 console, Xbox video game system from Microsoft, and Nintendo GameCube(TM) under the EA GAMES(TM) brand. This game has not yet been rated by the ESRB. For more information, please visit www.goldeneye.ea.com.
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040812/125153_1.html

SantaC

Pfft superstar? Maybe in the US. Too bad they didn't sign a good trance artist.

Blank and Jones > all

Prospero

Judi Dench has pretty much ruined all her Shakespearean-actress credibility, so I'm not surprised to see her here. But Ken Adam is working on this?? His job must be just to show up, look at a couple of screenshots, and say, "Sure, that looks like a Ken Adam design."

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
They're about 5 years too late, Jokenfold kicked ass in the days of Tranceport, now he is the laughingstock of any trance music fan. Watch the soundtrack have a bunch of collaborations from Crazy Town and Nelly Furtado :p

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Duckhuntdog said:
Why isn't Yoko Kanno or Mark Snow doing music for games???

I wish Yoko Kanno would do more game soundtracks as she has such an incredibly broad style. She did do the soundtrack for Napple Tale and Uncharted Waters (IIRC), but I can't think of much else.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
2416620040810_212035_4_big.jpg

dark10x

SantaCruZer said:
I wish they just skipped this game unless EA was Rare.

Rare isn't even Rare right now, so it isn't as if it would make a big difference. Of course, standards were also much lower back in the day...so I'm not entirely certain that the old team could even make a great FPS these days.

Coen

djtiesto said:
They're about 5 years too late, Jokenfold kicked ass in the days of Tranceport, now he is the laughingstock of any trance music fan. Watch the soundtrack have a bunch of collaborations from Crazy Town and Nelly Furtado :p

...says DJ Tiesto. *sigh*

Talk about sell-outs...

SantaC

dark10x said:
Rare isn't even Rare right now, so it isn't as if it would make a big difference. Of course, standards were also much lower back in the day...so I'm not entirely certain that the old team could even make a great FPS these days.

Yeah Rare now isn't Rare 1996 (or better yet, Rare during NES!). Anything but EA please.

ZigZagZig

dark10x said:
I wish Yoko Kanno would do more game soundtracks as she has such an incredibly broad style. She did do the soundtrack for Napple Tale and Uncharted Waters (IIRC), but I can't think of much else.

She composed lot's of music for KOEI, like Nobunaga's Ambition soundtracks. Most of these soundtracks can also be found as arranged soundtracks. For example Nobunaga's Ambition ~Chronicles of Heaven~ was performed by Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra. And yes, they sound extremely good. Also her orchestra music can be heard on Game Music Concert series.

dark10x

ZigZagZig said:
She composed lot's of music for KOEI, like Nobunaga's Ambition soundtracks. Most of these soundtracks can also be found as arranged soundtracks. For example Nobunaga's Ambition ~Chronicles of Heaven~ was performed by Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra. And yes, they sound extremely good. Also her orchestra music can be heard on Game Music Concert series.

Excellent! Thanks for the info! I'm always keeping an eye out for her work, as it never ceases to blow me away.

djtiesto

Coen said:
...says DJ Tiesto. *sigh*

Talk about sell-outs...

How is he a sellout? Just because he got #1 DJ award 2 years in a row for actually working fairly hard... I mean he's no Digweed when it comes to mixing skill, but he gets such a fantastic reaction still in the clubs and festivals... And I'll be the first one to admit that 2002 was his crowning year, and his sets/productions have taken a slight decline in quality since then. But he hasn't totally sold himself out to make a song with Nelly Furtado and become all "MTV Friendly", he still has lots of respect from the trance scene, while Oakenfold is pretty much reviled (though all of us own and love his 1998 and earlier stuff)... What are you, a PVD fan? :p

Coen

You obviously aren't from Holland, are you?
I like him as a person, and I respect him, but mixing a record by Dutch "rock"-band Kane made him as mainstream as possible. Plus, he performed at Pinkpop, a Dutch popfestival.

BTW, I greatly respect Nelly Furtado. She's different from those popdivas.

djtiesto

Coen said:
You obviously aren't from Holland, are you?
I like him as a person, and I respect him, but mixing a record by Dutch "rock"-band Kane made him as mainstream as possible. Plus, he performed at Pinkpop, a Dutch popfestival.

BTW, I greatly respect Nelly Furtado. She's different from those popdivas.

Yeah, well he is one of the Netherlands biggest stars, and trance music has much more mainstream recognition there (as well as most of Europe) than the States, where you tell people you like trance and progressive... people give you blank stares, and ask "is that techno"? I've seen Kane's performace on the Tiesto in Concert DVD, I don't like his voice (then again, I'm not Dutch nor do I understand Dutch) but he seemed to put on a decent show, certainly better than the lifeless Andain. Gabriel and Dresden (from the US) remixed that silly Brittaney Spears vs Madonna song, but you ask the average person on the street who G+D are, and you'll get more blank stares.

My questions is, why hire DJs? I mean EA has cash, they can hire real musicians with real musical talent. Yokko Kanno, Mark Snow, Steve Vai, Satriani. I mean people who know what a 16th note is, or what a mode is. I would love to see what stuff a kanno and Vai team-up would yield. It would be mindblowing.

djtiesto

Duckhuntdog said:
My questions is, why hire DJs? I mean EA has cash, they can hire real musicians with real musical talent. Yokko Kanno, Mark Snow, Steve Vai, Satriani. I mean people who know what a 16th note is, or what a mode is. I would love to see what stuff a kanno and Vai team-up would yield. It would be mindblowing.

Oakenfold produces too, have you ever seen the movie Swordfish? I'm not surprised Oakenfold is doing game soundtracks in the least, though I'm a bit surprised it's for a James Bond game. Even though I don't like Oakenfold much, I'm sure it'll be better than that really annoying, repetitive MIDI garbage in the N64 version.

Besides, a lot of companies (especially EA) want to have names with mainstream recognition... I mean, I know who the people you mentioned are, but the mainstream person probably doesn't know...

djtiesto said:
Oakenfold produces too, have you ever seen the movie Swordfish? I'm not surprised Oakenfold is doing game soundtracks in the least, though I'm a bit surprised it's for a James Bond game. Even though I don't like Oakenfold much, I'm sure it'll be better than that really annoying, repetitive MIDI garbage in the N64 version.

Besides, a lot of companies (especially EA) want to have names with mainstream recognition... I mean, I know who the people you mentioned are, but the mainstream person probably doesn't know...

Like Oakenfold is any more mainstream? I never heard of the friggin guy till now.

Even then, it's not about their ability to be picked out by the mainstream, it's their musical ability, well... I suppose REAL musical ability in cases of Kanno, Vai, and Satriani.

As far as music sound tracks, have you seen Crossroads with Jamie Gertz? Vai and Ry Cooder have a ripping battle at the end of the flick that guitarists still are amazed at. And if anyone can say he can truely do EVERYTHING instrument wise, it's Steve Vai.

Or Mark Snow's work on the TV show Millennium or X-Files. C'mon that's talent.

djtiesto said:

I would rather have midi james bond music like the n64 one than some DJ doing stupid unrelated music to a series that always had a classic style of music

Top Bottom