• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preacher |OT| The Beginning Is Nigh - Sundays 10/9c on AMC

Moff

Also, not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Jesse's dad likely
inadvertently saved Tulip's life by sending her away before the two men came to kill him and take young Jesse.

that crossed my mind as well, I even thought it might have been on purpose if he knew they were coming. but he would have sent Jesse away as well if that was true.

also: no need to spoilertag aired content

Caught up & really like the show. Tulip & Cassidy are greatly written and acted. It's hard to buy Jesse as a secret badass brawler, though, with his styled hair, skinny frame, and weird poses--like he's trying really hard to look cool. He keeps sticking out to me, whereas everyone else feels natural.

I'm fine w/ straying from the source material, but I remember Comic Jesse being self-effacing and casually hilarious. I think a little bit of that charm would at least give him a little more dimension. Everyone else feels way more interesting so far.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Also, not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Jesse's dad likely inadvertently saved Tulip's life by sending her away before the two men came to kill him and take young Jesse.

I don't think they would have killed tulip unless she crossed them. They would have probably taken her in first

Zoe

Didn't he say this episode that he pretty much doesn't believe in shit? That's diametrically different to his reaction when Jesse first yelled at him.

I can't check the scene right now, but their disagreement was over Quincannon being a Christian.

Believing he has to "serve god" doesn't make Quincannon a Christian.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I can't check the scene right now, but their disagreement was over Quincannon being a Christian.

Believing he has to "serve god" doesn't make Quincannon a Christian.

The word of god has nothing to do with what you believe in. Its literally the word of God. You could tell an atheist to jump off a cliff and they would have to do it because whether the believe in God or not, the ability has very real power over people

Zoe

The word of god has nothing to do with what you believe in. Its literally the word of God. You could tell an atheist to jump off a cliff and they would have to do it because whether the believe in God or not, the ability has very real power over people

I don't see how that contradicts what I said.

HStallion

I don't see how that contradicts what I said.

Who said I was trying to contradict you? I'm just explaining what Jesse's ability is and what it can do since people still don't seem to be sure yet or appear confused about it.

The show is really starting to pick back up. I'm really enjoying it! I hope Eugene is ok but I have this feeling he is going to come back but be totally different.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ratings:

Episode 1: 2.4 million viewers and 0.9 A18-49
Episode 2: 2.1 million viewers and 0.8 A18-49
Episode 3: 1.8 million viewers and 0.7 A18-49
Episode 4: 1.1 million viewers and 0.4 A18-49
Episode 5: 1.4 million viewers and 0.5 A18-49
Episode 6: 1.5 million viewers and 0.5 A18-49
Episode 7: 1.5 million viewers and 0.6 A18-49

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I love this show, but I don't see myself tuning in for s2.
The show appears to follow the walking dead formula of veering away from the plot points that people care about, to more scenes of shit you don't care about.

Geist-

I love this show, but I don't see myself tuning in for s2.
The show appears to follow the walking dead formula of veering away from the plot points that people care about, to more scenes of shit you don't care about.

With AMC, I feel like Breaking Bad was just a fluke. I'm hoping Preacher proves me wrong, but the doubts are there, regardless of how good the good parts have been.

Helmholtz

I'm really hoping S2 starts to capture the sense of adventure the comic had. They really need to get the trio together and travelling a bit.

HStallion

With AMC, I feel like Breaking Bad was just a fluke. I'm hoping Preacher proves me wrong, but the doubts are there, regardless of how good the good parts have been.

Breaking Bad wasn't made by AMC despite airing on the channel. Its one of the reasons they didn't have a lot of the issues faced by other AMC made shows.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
"He ends the episode by breaking the floor where Eugene disappeared"

I don't remember this happening. Did my recording cut off the ending?

Might have. The episode ended with Jesse busting up the floorboards of the church where Eugene disappeared and then pawing at the dirt with his hands.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Crap. Mine ended with the group of people outside the church walking towards it. Was there anything in between?

You might have just turned away. I just rewatched and the Jesse part is right before the reveal of the people with Quincannon leading them on a bulldozer. So there is the flashback with Jesse's dad, then present day Jesse digging up the floorboards, then the group of people marching towards the church.

I hate the fact that the comic series happens to be my favorite. I've read it from start to finish at least 6 times. I'm watching the show and I'm thinking, "what the hell am I watching?". It's not fair. I kind of understand what they're doing, but not why. It will be a damn shame if the ratings continue to be this poor throughout season 2, and they don't get to tell the actual story of Preacher, because at this point, I think the total screen time given to the story has been around 8 minutes or so.

Grizzlyjin

He was yelling something too right? Thought I heard the voice.

Yeah, he keeps saying "Come back!" It sounded like the same distortion effect as when he uses the voice. I think the problem might be that Eugene can't come back if he isn't there to hear the command. Guess we'll see.

Hmm, Quinn does seem like the sort of person who would see himself as god. Or just power and money.

I think we have to remember that there are people who think serving God means shooting abortion doctors, making "God Hates Fags" signs, or suicide bombing a mosque.

It's as broad and useless and potentially dangerous a command as "be a good person" or "give everyone what they deserve".

Clefargle

Another thing I was thinking, he didn't say which god or specify the Christian God. Maybe Odin is following some pagan god.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It will be a damn shame if the ratings continue to be this poor throughout season 2, and they don't get to tell the actual story of Preacher, because at this point, I think the total screen time given to the story has been around 8 minutes or so.

Even if the ratings remain the same next year, that will still be enough to get the show to a third season.

Yeah, he keeps saying "Come back!" It sounded like the same distortion effect as when he uses the voice. I think the problem might be that Eugene can't come back if he isn't there to hear the command. Guess we'll see.
Glad people are talking about this now. This episode felt like a really satisfying culmination of a lot of the development this season and I thought the final scene was very powerful.

Maybe it wasn't to other people, but young Jesse praying for his father to die was really surprising to me and it's pretty obvious what kind of effect the "results" had on him, forever. When Jesse promises to be one of the good guys and we flash back to the present with him desperately clawing at the floorboards, shouting his Word hopelessly at the ground... yeah. That's really good stuff.

And juxtapose that (as the director has) with the image of Quincannon marching unrelentingly toward the church, determined to take the land for his own, which proves that Jesse really has no idea what he's doing and that his use of the Word has very unintended consequences. The storytelling is very compelling in Preacher and I'm just surprised at how much I've been able to chew on since the beginning of the show when I originally thought it would just be crazy airplane fights and Tulip slaughtering people.

squidyj

Seemed odd to have a scene where Cassidy complains about how some movies don't have a discernible plot when this show has no plot of any sort.

Jessie is a piece of shit, and it just doesn't even make much or any sense at all to me. This show is verging on the "it fucking sucks" brink.

what a load of crap.

Platy

I hate the fact that the comic series happens to be my favorite. I've read it from start to finish at least 6 times. I'm watching the show and I'm thinking, "what the hell am I watching?". It's not fair. I kind of understand what they're doing, but not why. It will be a damn shame if the ratings continue to be this poor throughout season 2, and they don't get to tell the actual story of Preacher, because at this point, I think the total screen time given to the story has been around 8 minutes or so.

It sounds like they are doing some kind of prequel..... like in season 2 we will have reached the characters where they are in issue 2 of preacher =P

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
It sounds like they are doing some kind of prequel..... like in season 2 we will have reached the characters where they are in issue 2 of preacher =P
Basically. Probably why I'm enjoying it so much. There's a lot of room to play right now without having to be dogmatic to the comic.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm less bothered by the character changes and more that the show has simply turned a page-turner comic into an incredibly boring show. Every ep puts me to sleep and I can't make it through an episode without multi-tasking and doing something else. There are good scenes here and there and everything Cassidy is great, but the pacing is just glacial. There's no way I'm forcing myself through s2 even if S1 has a good finale.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm less bothered by the character changes and more that the show has simply turned a page-turner comic into an incredibly boring show. Every ep puts me to sleep and I can't make it through an episode without multi-tasking and doing something else. There are good scenes here and there and everything Cassidy is great, but the pacing is just glacial. There's no way I'm forcing myself through s2 even if S1 has a good finale.

Why force yourself through the rest of the season then?

Bebpo

Banned
Why force yourself through the rest of the season then?

Because I already watched a bunch and I want to see how they end the season and what direction the show is going in.

I'm not saying that things aren't happening in the show, plenty of stuff happens, but the show is just so badly directed it feels like every ep is a 23 minute episode stretched to fit a 47 min time slot. Show would be much better with 30 min episodes at this pace.

You have to understand, I don't even think the comic's story is that great and I can live with an original adaptation tv version that does its own thing. The difference is that when I picked up the comic after watching ep1, I read for like 10 hours straight and blew through something like 50-70 issues in a day because the comic is extremely well paced and every page is a page turner. You just can't put it down. At the end of the day story quality aside it was incredibly entertaining. That's all I want out of the show. I don't care if it's the dumbest show ever, if it's extremely entertaining it'll be a fun watch. But it can't even do that and instead is the opposite of the comic and extremely boring. Just a complete shame. Low budget or not they could be doing a lot more with these episodes, but everything comes across as generic contrived drama written and directed by amateurs who are doing this for a 9-5 and not because they want to make good art.

But hey, the opening credits are good and the title cards are neat, so I guess that's something. Plus Cassidy is great, Odin is alright, but everyone else including Jesse fucking sucks and extremely one note & boring to watch.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Because I already watched a bunch and I want to see how they end the season and what direction the show is going in.

I'm not saying that things aren't happening in the show, plenty of stuff happens, but the show is just so badly directed it feels like every ep is a 23 minute episode stretched to fit a 47 min time slot. Show would be much better with 30 min episodes at this pace.

You have to understand, I don't even think the comic's story is that great and I can live with an original adaptation tv version that does its own thing. The difference is that when I picked up the comic after watching ep1, I read for like 10 hours straight and blew through something like 50-70 issues in a day because the comic is extremely well paced and every page is a page turner. You just can't put it down. At the end of the day story quality aside it was incredibly entertaining. That's all I want out of the show. I don't care if it's the dumbest show ever, if it's extremely entertaining it'll be a fun watch. But it can't even do that and instead is the opposite of the comic and extremely boring. Just a complete shame. Low budget or not they could be doing a lot more with these episodes, but everything comes across as generic contrived drama written and directed by amateurs who are doing this for a 9-5 and not because they want to make good art.

But hey, the opening credits are good and the title cards are neat, so I guess that's something. Plus Cassidy is great, Odin is alright, but everyone else including Jesse fucking sucks and extremely one note & boring to watch.

I mean, if you're not going to continue with the show next year regardless of how the rest of this season turns out, and you're merely watching to see what direction it ultimately goes in before you tune out, why not just stop watching now and stick to reading impressions and recaps for the rest of the season?

Monocle

Jesse's becoming quite the unlikable shit, isn't he? I kept waiting for Tulip to knock his self-righteous teeth out.

Can't disagree about the pacing. I thought something was finally going to happen after Quincannon's little murder spree, and then we get another wheel spinning episode with a morsel of backstory and a stack of redundant scenes where Jesse tries to out-smug himself in his own personal one-man douche contest.

Exodust

Banned
Show sucked from the beginning, it's just that the cool concept from the comic drew in people who never read it, people who like the comic wanted to see how different it was going to be, and the hype of there being a live action Preacher show hasn't died down yet.

What everybody didn't expect is for the show to meander on and not go anywhere for a while. Which is such a reverse from the comic and all expectations that everybody seems to be getting sick of it.

Ricker

Finally watched last Sunday's episode...holy shit,finally an episode where I got what was going on and it was awesome,best episode yet,I hope it keeps up that pace...good stuff.

Now I hope Cassidy is not dead,pretty sure he isnt,I bet Jessie dosed him just after they cut off and since he is a vampire,he probably healed pretty fast I guess...? we shall see.

And yeah,Jessie,like Tulip said,is getting to be quite a dick lol...also loved the small talk in the kitchen between Tulip and Cassidy at some point.

I finally watched the first two episodes today. It's pretty good so far but I'm not hooked.

Episode 3 lools really good, but my PVR failed to record it. Now I need to find a way to watch it here in Canada.

I know this would be considered sacrilegious around here (no pun intended considering the source material haha) but honestly....I think this take on Jesse aint so bad. Dare I say it's actually more interesting.

I think the show feels a bit meandering at times, it needs to move quicker and build towards more and I see that it's finally happening (a bit too late into a season however, hopefully they improve pacing for second season). But the Jesse in the comics was always far too level-headed considering he just had the power of the word of god in him and found out about what he had so early in the series. Not to mention the other shit he found out in the first arc. I enjoyed the books because of Ennis' caricatured look at Americana and things like Police racism and all that. But I never found the main three characters all that interesting outside of some of their interactions with each other.

I can buy this Jesse a lot more, he's not beyond redemption because you can tell he's racked with guilt over arseface but understandably the power has made him hungry to will for change.

solomon

Just caught up on the series, at first I was meh but around episode 3-4 I'm hooked. I feel really bad for Eugene hopefully he comes back, also bruh Ruth Neega aka tulip... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).

Top Bottom