• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predator: 30 Years of the Manliest Handshake and Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Nairume

Banned
Thirty years ago today, Predator blasted into theaters, turning each and every one of us into a sexual tyrannosaurus. Just like Jesse "The Body" Ventura.

Tr5SFIK.jpg

For the hopefully zero of you who don't know what this movie is, Predator is a legendary sci-fi action-horror movie that has probably influenced at least something else that you love. It was directed by John McTiernan at the start of a short but great string of movies that also included Die Hard and The Hunt for Red October. It had special effects designed by the monster master himself, Stan Winston, just coming off of Terminator and Aliens and with Jurassic Park not too far off in the distance. Music by Alan Silvestri hot off Back to the Future. This movie has some pedigree behind it, but also on the screen too. Just look at this cast.

7skd9l1.jpg

Former governor of California and future president of the United States of America, Bill Rizor

H0Mvx1c.jpg

Former governor of Minnesota and mayor of Metro City, Mike Haggar

3K8XQXp.png

Recipient of the manliest handshake in the universe, Apollo Creed.

OtdVEEx.png

Scourge of the Mutant Menace, Bolivar Trask

TjFBO9D.jpg

Manliest Knife Master, Sonny Landham.

VXEoRDH.png

Coming back from telling Blain to strap this on his sore ass, Richard Chaves

sLJYZi2.jpg

The one human character from this movie to sort of appear in Predator 2

RZ8ukW9.jpg

Also some guy who never worked on anything else you would have ever heard of. Especially nothing you heard of in 1987.

Also featuring Jean Clau.....wait....correction....also featuring Kevin Peter Hall
0fFTPL0.jpg

as Harry...sorry, wrong June 1987 Kevin Peter Hall monster movie.

This movie has everything. Action. Suspense. Fun characters. A great monster. Also quotes. Just endless quotable lines that you and your friends probably repeat while giving yourselves the handshake.

But, for real, you probably just came here for the handshake.

dKRfmk1.gif

I don't blame you. It's a pretty great handshake.

Only film in Prime Arnold era where he actually got his ass whooped. It was also the beginning of the McTiernan Trilogy of Doom

Predator
Die Hard
Hunt for Red October

One of the best movie ever made period. As a kid the predator Alien was one of the most scariest thing ever. Even scarier than the xenomorph.

sarcastor

I remember seeing this in the trailer and thougtht Arnold had let himself go

giphy.gif

also this gif better encapsulates the way you feel after watching the manliest of movies

predator.gif

Vibranium

Banned
Still one of my favorite movies of all time. It starts out as an awesome manly 80's action movie and than shifts to straight-up survival. The Predator is such a cool alien in concept and design.

You know, looking back on it, Billy probably shouldn't have tried to 1v1 the Predator.

I think the implication was that Billy cracked because of losing his friends and wanted payback. Kind of a "death wish" sort of thing.

>:)

Sometimes I wonder if an alternate cut exists, and we actually get to see Billy and Ugly Mofo go at it. Something like sword battle in Predators, but with 101% more testosterone.

I have actually wondered if newer generations were still watching Predator

I'm 29 and Predator on VHS was a staple of my childhood, even though it came out before I was born. Is the flame still being passed along?

EBE

whats the deal with the compound attack sequence? some second unit directed that, right? not at all shot or edited like the rest of the film and it stands out more as i rewatch it

GhaleonEB

Probably one of the best executed hybrid genre films I've ever seen. Starts out pure 80s action and turns into sci-fi survival beautifully.

This is what I was going to say also. I think that's what really resonated with me as a kid, since it scratched my itch for badass macho action, sci-fi, monsters and horror. It's basically a perfect action movie.

It's also one that knew exactly how to use POV shots from the alien properly, which is to add to the story. Seeing its heat vision and how it uses it to hunt was both cool, and important to the story. Movies to this day keep tossing in POV shots of the monster without understanding there needs to be a freaking reason for doing so. (Looking at you, Alien: Covenant.)

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Best predator movie,

They really should make a movie where the predator fights the xenomoprh.

Yeah they really should...

It would be great.
While we are at it they should also do an origin story of the alien franchise. Those films would be great

Chuckie

One of my all time favorite action movies!

I remember so well seeing this for the first time. I was 12 years old, my friend had a TV in his room, with a VHS player.
He secretly took the Predator tape from his dads room and we watched it in my friends room.

Scared the fuck out of me (especially the skinned bodies) but it was SO awesome. Dat heat vision, dat targeting system.

Top Bottom