• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pregnant woman ran down a fleeing man 'who stole purse from her car' in Walmart

Budi

So again, REQUIRED level of force NECESSARY. What could she have done herself in this situation that was a lesser amount of force that would have allowed her to retrieve her property and minimize risk to herself or baby?
She did risk the baby by reckless driving and also by confronting the thief, even while he didn't show any earlier signs of agression. Getting tried (also succeeding) to get hit by a car can get your emotions high.

"Me being five months pregnant, I chased a little ways then come back, jumped in the car, threw it in gear and come across the curb and ran him over. I was not going to let him get away with it,”

HER WORDS.

It had nothing to do with getting her stuff back, she was pissed and wanted to hurt him for doing it.

So I guess I am the only one that agrees with her methods. Fuck thiefs.

Haven't made my way completely through this thread yet, but I hope your one in a few that feel that way.

The last thing we want people to do is take the law into their own hands. That's what the authorities are for.

I mean, yea, fuck thieves, but she tried to murder him for stealing stuff that is probably mostly replaceable. Murder is not the answer in that situation. She's pregnant so she put her child in unnecessary danger, and she could have very easily have hit an innocent bystander, the way she drove after him was wreck less and very dangerous and above all, completely unnecessary. She shoulda just called for help immediately.

Edit Jesus the Prometheus references......I'm dead

sarcastor

I'd do the same. You try steal from me I will recover my property at any cost.

Sweet. And then you go to jail for attempted murder. You can't run over a thief with your purse/wallet. Cause that's what happened here. She didn't shoot him in the middle of an attempted burglary. She drove into him when he took off with her purse.

1. she was not in imminent danger
2. the theft already took place
3. she got in her car and ran after him and then hit him
4. she's NOT FUCKING JUDGE DREDD

wtf is wrong with you people?

Sweet. And then you go to jail for murder. You can't kill someone cause they ran off with your purse/wallet. Cause that's what happened here. She didn't shoot him in the middle of an attempted burglary. She drove into him when he took off with her purse.

No no no. She chased him on foot, couldn't catch him, so then she ran BACK to her car, started it, and ran full speed into him.

Sweet. And then you go to jail for murder. You can't kill someone cause they ran off with your purse/wallet. Cause that's what happened here. She didn't shoot him in the middle of an attempted burglary. She drove into him when he took off with her purse.

1. she was not in imminent danger
2. the theft already took place
3. she got in her car and ran after him and then hit him
4. she's NOT FUCKING JUDGE DREDD

wtf is wrong with you people?

Bright side: if he goes to jail for murder his crazy ass is out of society.

Theonik

πάντες γὰρ οἱ λαβόντες μάχαιραν ἐν μαχαίρῃ ἀπολοῦνται

Van Bur3n

I mean, you could have just said that in English.

sarcastor

Matthew 26:52

“Put your sword back in its place,” Jesus said to him, “for all who draw the sword will die by the sword.

Sweet. that will definitely hold up in court at your attempted murder trial.

Basketball

Not saying I would murder the guy

But whatever man she's a pregnant lady and she can't chase the guy down on her feet.
Maybe she had precious pictures or something

Let's say I was walking and this dude came up and stole my wallet. You damn right I'm stomping his shit in if I caught him on foot.

Be honest you would too
Welp I guess he can just take my stuff it's all good , causing me all these headaches .. live and let live amirite.

I'd do the same. You try steal from me you sign your death warrant.

I mean, I'm sorta with you, but don't kill for the sake of it.

I've encountered one instance of attempted theft where I caught the guy. He was rummaging through my car at around 3am. I calmly grabbed my shotgun, slid open the sun room window and made my way to the driveway where I aimed and shouted stop.

He did and we called the police. No need to actually kill someone though.

They found my mom's blood pressure medicine on him from her glove box and a cup of change from my cup holder down his pants. Worst thief ever.

Why is it that most sane legal systems aren't issuing capital punishment for PETTY THEFT then?

We don't tend to use biblical punishments as rule of law anymore.

Violet_0

Banned
edgy

This isn't punishment. This is using whatever force is necessary to stop a crime in progress. If he survives it would of be wrong to kill them.

Which. Is. Illegal.

Police officers exist for this purpose, you don't get to take the law into your own hands.

Jesus Christ y'all are scary.

Kthulhu

Live by the sword die by the sword.

Edgy.

Unintellectuals like you are exactly why this country is such a mess.

It sounds cooler when you have to google translate it tho.

I may have a problem with the method but I don't have a problem with the concept.

If she had chased him down and stopped him without damn near killing him or potentially hurting someone, I wouldn't be complaining. She tried to kill him. It went beyond trying to get her property back and went into full on vigilantism and vindictiveness.

sarcastor

This isn't punishment. This is using whatever force is necessary to stop a crime in progress. If he survives it would of be wrong to kill them.

https://nationalparalegal.edu/publi...asp_files/criminalLaw/defenses/UseofForce.asp

A private citizen is only allowed to use deadly force when trying to make an arrest if the suspect, in fact, committed a felony

In situations where a private person uses non-deadly force to arrest a suspect, the use of non-deadly force is justified if: 1) a felony was in fact committed, 2) the defendant reasonably believed that the person he was arresting committed it and, 3) the defendant used no more force than reasonably appeared necessary to bring about the arrest.

I guess she was only using non-deadly force to arrest the suspect. By running him over.

Enco

Eh. Crime has already taken place. This is just running someone over. Either way, it's not your damn job to carry out vigilante justice.

Pretty ridiculous seeing a running people over defense force. Good old GAF.

Edit: lol at her being pregnant being used as an excuse.

Do you think police officers are some kind of omnipotent force with instant response times?

No. Which is why you can react to these situations with appropriate force as a response.

When you cross the line to using a deadly weapon, or are unable to resolve the situation yourself without doing do, you call the police.

If you're going to quote Jesus in the context of crime, how about quoting Jesus actually talking about crime. Spoiler alert: don't resist the thief.

And in your example, she's the one with the sword, not him.

sarcastor

Do you think police officers are some kind of omnipotent force with instant response times?

no but individuals are not suppose to take the law into their own hands. they can try to stop a crime, or arrest the suspect but you CAN'T HIT THEM WITH YOUR CAR

Maybe if he was actively shooting at people or about to set off a bomb or go see the new Transformers movie, then yeah you can hit with your car. But running off with your purse? No, thats clearly vigilantism.

No. But there are still many ways for them to track him down. her using deadly force was dumb, unnecessary and put multiple lives in danger. That's not the appropriate way to react.

If you're going to quote Jesus in the context of crime, how about quoting Jesus actually talking about crime. Spoiler alert: don't resist the thief.

Yeaa...I'm no expert, but why is he even saying live by the sword die by the sword? I thought it meant that violence isn't the answer? So it's weird for someone to say yea "any force necessary" then say "live by the sword die by the sword"

Kthulhu

It didn't need to be instant. She was no longer in danger. The cops could've pulled security camera footage and probably tracked him down.

Regardless, the capability of the police has nothing to do with this. By your logic vigilantism is justified because the police aren't perfect.

Van Bur3n

I noticed that when I googled it. The full quote being ”put your sword back into its place. For all who take the sword will perish by the sword."

So, put your SUV back in its parking spot. If she had somehow come to harm during the encounter then she would have lived up to the quote.

Edgy quote backfire.

Vigilante justice....pregnant woman... Walmart.... in North Carolina.... yup, sounds about right! Take the state out of the picture and I can still see this happening in any Walmart in general, but the fact it happened in a Southern state just makes it sound "right".

Theonik

https://nationalparalegal.edu/publi...asp_files/criminalLaw/defenses/UseofForce.asp

I guess she was only using non-deadly force to arrest the suspect. By running him over.
I don't know what point you are trying to prove here. He could well have survived. The force might be considered justified if indeed the suspect had been stopped and she does not seek to intentionally kill the guy or apply additional force at the guy.

I am not quoting Jesus. I'm quoting Homer's IliadAeschylus's Agamememnon. Nice try though.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
i really hope one of you steal from me one day, I have anxiety brain and if someone steals from me I get this tingly feeling of anxiety where I have to hit that person with my car because, you're not getting away with it

Kthulhu

I don't know what point you are trying to prove here. He could well have survived. The force might be considered justified if indeed the suspect had been stopped and she does not seek to intentionally kill the guy or apply additional force at the guy.

I am not quoting Jesus. I'm quoting Homer's Iliad. Nice try though.

So you don't even take your life advice from fiction that's cool to believe in.

What's your Paypal? I'll donate funds towards a Reaper costume so you can complete your edgelord evolution.

sarcastor

Yes he did survive. But noticed that she's charge with misdemeanor assault with a deadly weapon. She didn't get a key for the city from the Mayor cause she stopped a theft.

And as for your quote, it's not 40 B.C. It's 2017. we have a court of law that handles this shit. I don't know what your point is by using some old as Greek proverb like it applies.

The cops could've pull

lmao sure they would've. The robbery crime clearance rate in america is only like what 20%?

If this woman wanted her purse back she had no choice but to do it herself.

And I applaud her for doing so, just not the method she used to do it. The thief knew what he was getting into and I have zero pity for him. Though I have zero interest in seeing him dead or maimed either, unless he's also a motorcycle thief.

Verelios

I'm not going to say I don't understand her anger at being robbed but you can't do that. Running someone over is mental.

Kthulhu

lmao sure they would've. The robbery crime clearance rate in america is only like what 20%?

If this woman wanted her purse back she had no choice but to do it herself.

And I applaud her for doing so, just not the method she used to do it. The thief knew what he was getting into and I have zero pity for him. Though I have zero interest in seeing him dead or maimed either, unless he's also a motorcycle thief.

Again, if she had gotten it back or stopped him, no one here would be complaining. That's not the issue. The issue is she took the law in her own hands when she shouldn't have.

Top Bottom