• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pregnant woman ran down a fleeing man 'who stole purse from her car' in Walmart

He still had her purse right? I'd say she has the right to retrieve her stolen property using whatever level of force she deems necessary to be effective and minimizes her capacity to come to harm. You can't just tell people they have to sit there and watch a crime being committed against them. It could be their livelihood being taken away from them. They have the right to retrieve their property, even if that force could be potentially deadly. If you don't like it, don't steal.

But once property is retrieved it should be required to deescalate the situation and use minimal force. Either just detaining or fleeing. No revenge justification.

How is running him over going to make him give you your stuff back?

Kthulhu

I hope she gets off due to pregnancy brain. She's dealing with enough without having to pay for a new drivers' licence, losing a chunk of her budget, cancelling her cards, and buying a new phone.

What she did is not acceptable, but unless a judge can present a different course of action that would have resulted in her not losing her purse and everything in it, I don't think she deserves to be punished for this. The only alternative was to stuck it up, file a police report, and take the L; and no one is going to help her come up with the funds to recover. Victim services should; and then there would be no excuse for trying to run down a theif.

"Pregnancy brain"?

What the hell is wrong with you people?

There is no excuse for running down a thief. She should have just filed a police report and let them handle it.

Van Bur3n

You said people are "honor"ing him or discreetly defending him by saying that he shouldn't have been run over by an SUV. Saying he didn't deserve to be crushed by a car doesn't equate to "yay he robbed a pregnant lady!"

"He did bad, she did bad. He stole, so he should be murdered on the spot." I'm sick of this false equivalency shit, bud.

I didn't say anything "should" happen. Don't put words in my mouth, bud. Poor (life) choices were made and thus shit happened. Didn't say he deserved it, its simply cause and effect.

I'll take back what I said with people defending him honorably, but don't get delusional on me, read my posts, and completely interpret something else from it.

Alucrid

Banned
personally i'm trying to get through life without killing anyone and i can probably replace whatever is in my wallet

He still had her purse right? I'd say she has the right to retrieve her stolen property using whatever level of force she deems necessary to be effective and minimizes her capacity to come to harm. You can't just tell people they have to sit there and watch a crime being committed against them. It could be their livelihood being taken away from them. They have the right to retrieve their property, even if that force could be potentially deadly. If you don't like it, don't steal. Don't forget who the perpetrator is here.

But once property is retrieved it should be required to deescalate the situation and use minimal force. Either just detaining or fleeing. No revenge justification.

This is all crap. Somebody stealing something from you should not give you carte blanche to do whatever you feel like to them in retaliation. The fact that people who feel this way coexist in the same society I do is frightening.

How is running him over going to make him give you your stuff back?

How is is not? Probably due to the fact that he's laying knocked out on the concrete and unable to put up any type of resistance.

This is all crap. Somebody stealing something from you should not give you carte blanche to do whatever you feel like to them in retaliation. The fact that people who feel this way coexist in the same society I do is frightening.

I specifically said that "retaliation" should not be allowed. Only the required level of force necessary to retrieve your property with allowance for prevention of your own physical harm.

He still had her purse right? I'd say she has the right to retrieve her stolen property using whatever level of force she deems necessary to be effective and minimizes her capacity to come to harm. You can't just tell people they have to sit there and watch a crime being committed against them. It could be their livelihood being taken away from them. They have the right to retrieve their property, even if that force could be potentially deadly. If you don't like it, don't steal. Don't forget who the perpetrator is here.

So if some kid stole something, like a candy bar it's okay for the store owner to gun them down?

subwilde

He got what he deserved. Plain and simple. Yes, it's not suppose to be done, but he initiated that, the woman wasn't having it. If this asshole robbing her somehow led to her getting hurt or overexerting herself so much to the point that she loses the baby, what then? Someone who robs a pregnant woman does not deserve to live. It's really that cut and dry simple.

Hahahaha can't tell if this is serious or not. If it is, then seek help immediately please.

Someone who thinks that murder is an appropriate response when someone wrongs you (and people in here who defend it) are far more dangerous to society than petty theifs.

tumblr_inline_nm3tmltREv1szit1k.gif

.JayZii

Banned
I didn't say anything "should" happen. Don't put words in my mouth, bud. Poor (life) choices were made and thus shit happened. Didn't say he deserved it, its simply cause and effect.

I'll take back what I said with people defending him honorably, but don't get delusional on me, read my posts, and completely interpret something else from it.
You're right I take that back, you didn't say that he should be killed, you said it's fine if he happens to be killed. Alright.

Thanks for taking back your weird accusation that people in this thread were defending and honoring a criminal because they don't want people taking the law into their own hands with lethal force. For someone who doesn't like words being put in their mouth, you really jumped the gun on that one, bucko.

So if some kid stole something, like a candy bar it's okay for the store owner to gun them down?

So again, REQUIRED level of force NECESSARY. What could she have done herself in this situation that was a lesser amount of force that would have allowed her to retrieve her property and minimize risk to herself or baby?

So again, REQUIRED level of force NECESSARY. What could she have done in this situation that was a lesser amount of force that would have allowed her to retrieve her property and minimize risk to herself or baby.

Call the police because vigilante justice isn't acceptable? You don't get to retrieve your property at the expense of someone else's life. Because we aren't animals.

Kthulhu

AKA lost all her shit and not have anything ever come from it.

Filing a police report is useless, they aint gonna do shit.

How does it not?

Because potentially seriously injuring and/or killing a man, any potential bystanders, your unborn baby, and yourself are totally worth whatever could be in her purse.

So again, REQUIRED level of force NECESSARY. What could she have done herself in this situation that was a lesser amount of force that would have allowed her to retrieve her property and minimize risk to herself or baby?

What is the definition of Required or Necessary in terms of petty theft? Case by case basis? If the kid is slow, tackle the kid into the pavement, if the kid faster than you, shoot to disable?

Alucrid

Banned

is gunning a car at someone running away in a crowded parking lot minimizing risk to herself and her baby?

Because potentially seriously injuring and/or killing a man, any potential bystanders, your unborn baby, and yourself are totally worth whatever could be in her purse.

Hey I did say that the method she chose to retrieve her belongings was very stupid and potentially dangerous to her, her unborn child, and random bystanders and other innocent vehicles earlier.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
She basically did what a lot of people secretly wish they could do but wouldn't.

This is EXACTLY why our justice system doesn't work.

Y'all are fucking bloodthirsty and it's legitimately terrifying.

I'd feel threatened more by most of the people in this thread than I ever would by the purse snatcher. Heaven forbid they ever thought I stole something from them.

Uh, yeah, that's a totally disproportionate response to petty theft. On top of that, she's jeopardizing her and her child's future with the legal issues that will follow.

Jarrod38

So if your love one robbed me I could use any force I want to get my stuff back?

Call the police because vigilante justice isn't acceptable? You don't get to retrieve your property at the expense of someone else's life. Because we aren't animals.

Stopping a crime in the act is not what vigilante justice means. As long as the force was the level required to stop the crime you should be. And well neither of us decide what we get to do. The public's opinion does. And it seems like public opinion says you can.

I'd feel threatened more by most of the people in this thread than I ever would by the purse snatcher. Heaven forbid they ever thought I stole something from them.

For real, like I said earlier I would hate to be alone in a room with some of y'all if you just popped off and got pissed at me over something.

Nydius

AKA lost all her shit and not have anything ever come from it.

Filing a police report is useless, they aint gonna do shit.

Oh look, another one. We've already been over this. You're full of shit if you believe filing a report is "useless". Not only full of shit but outright lying and using that lie to justify disproportionate vigilantism.

She did not have any right to run him down with a three ton vehicle. None. She didn't even slow down and, judging by the video, hopped a curb. You want me to believe she was just trying to "stop" him? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight. I genuinely hope she gets some degree of punishment for it. Even if she doesn't, she's going to be in for a rude awakening in civil court and when her car insurance company drops her like a rock.

Tired of reading these half ass justifications, especially ones bringing up her pregnancy as if being pregnant is an excuse on par with mental defects. We are a society of laws and you don't have the right to take the law into your own hands when you deem it convenient to do so just because you don't think the law works or shouldn't apply to you.

Stopping a crime in the act is not what vigilante justice means. As long as the force was the level required to stop the crime you should be. And well neither of us decide what we get to do. The public's opinion does. And it seems like public opinion says you can.

And yet the law says using your vehicle as a weapon against somebody is illegal regardless of what they did to you, unless they are an imminent and immediate threat to you.

I think it's pretty obvious that she fucked up. Unless defending property (not under threat) voids all sins in America she should be punished. That said, actions have consequences, and I'm not feeling sorry for him.

Van Bur3n

You're right I take that back, you didn't say that he should be killed, you said it's fine if he happens to be killed. Alright.

Thanks for taking back your weird accusation that people in this thread were defending and honoring a criminal because they don't want people taking the law into their own hands with lethal force. For someone who doesn't like words being put in their mouth, you really jumped the gun on that one, bucko.

Well, that would surely suck for him. But that would simply be the result of his poor actions. A sucky result I might add, but like I said, cause and effect. Don't be a criminal, stay in school, eat your veggies, yadda yadda. Just so happens he did the opposite and it led him to the lady who is a fan of Mad Max. T'was fate. Maybe he was meant to learn from this. Overall, as was implied in my first post from the start, my two cents of wisdom on this particular topic is that two idiots met and shit happened. And what a sight it was.

And you're welcome, bud.

.JayZii

Banned
Well, that would surely suck for him. But that would simply be the result of his poor actions. A sucky result I might add, but like I said, cause and effect. Don't be a criminal, stay in school, eat your veggies, yadda yadda. Just so happens he did the opposite and it led him to the lady who is a fan of Mad Max. Overall, as was implied in my first post from the start, my two cents of wisdom on this particular topic is that two idiots met and shit happened. And what a sight it was.

And you're welcome, bud.
*kisses*

guess we'll see what the jury says.

As has directly been told to me by a defense attorney friend of mine, and corroborated by this thread right now.

Juries are fucking insane and will justify anything as long as they get painted a nice picture.

The law point blank says that this is fucking assault with a deadly weapon, which is why she was CHARGED with assault with a deadly weapon.

Top Bottom