• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pregnant woman ran down a fleeing man 'who stole purse from her car' in Walmart

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Either way she got her purse back right?

I don't really care what happens to the thief in the process. I don't think he deserves to die over it but as soon as you pull shit like that the victim has carte blanche as far as I'm concerned.

Assuming her story checks out of course.

Oh course you need to assume, don't be silly.
Check the facts later or just let God sort it out.

Either way she got her purse back right?

I don't really care what happens to the thief in the process. I don't think he deserves to die over it but as soon as you pull shit like that the victim has carte blanche as far as I'm concerned.

Assuming her story checks out of course.

Which is why we see black kids gunned down for stealing a candy bar.

Law exists because victims don't get carte blanche to act as judge jury and executioner and do whatever they please.

She should, and god hoping will, face consequences because she chose to take the law into her OWN hands because she was angry.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
dumb bitch, I hope he is okay.
why was he only running straight? do people only run straight when they in panic? could have gone to any direction and would have been fine.

Kyzer

Banned
I feel like committing robbery or theft against someone really is assuming the risk that they could do anything in their power to stop you. She misjudged because of the consequences she will have to face, but I have no sympathy for the crook. Hes lucky it wasnt somebody with a gun. You steal from somebody, you might get killed, pretty common logic imo. Now shes gonna have to pay the price though

No sympathy from me

if he did steal ... pretty sure he did

then fuck him

Justice system needs to be more harsh on these fucks who do dumb shit to people minding their own business

Yes throw people in jail for longer terms for minor crimes. Fill those jail spots so they get full and packed. If theft of a purse equals assault with a deadly weapon then fuck me, what would downloading a movie get me ?

plasmasd

I know a woman that would do the exact same thing. Best advice would be to not mess with her car and definitely not try to steal her purse.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Shoutouts to the insane people in this thread calling it justified to attempt to crush someone with your car. I hope y'all never act like rascals and are killed for it.

Breaking into someones car and stealing their purse is not "acting like a rascal". Its a crime and one that should send someone to jail if its something they're habitually doing.

Obviously the lady is completely wrong for doing what she did but I'm just as amazed at folks acting like the guy was doing something minor and not illegal himself.

Basketball

Yes throw people in jail for longer terms for minor crimes. Fill those jail spots so they get full and packed. If theft of a purse equals assault with a deadly weapon then fuck me, what would downloading a movie get me ?
hmmm the Karma is a bitch statute

would have to be written in a way that include context of the crime. Downloading a movie illegally ... idk maybe a good slap and force dial up AOL for a month.

Van Bur3n

Breaking into someones car and stealing their purse is not "acting like a rascal". Its a crime and one that should send someone to jail if its something they're habitually doing.

Obviously the lady is completely wrong for doing what she did but I'm just as amazed at folks acting like the guy was doing something minor and not illegal himself.

Feels like people are trying to discreetly defend the punk. They've already made out of this world comparisons in his honor, as it is.

Bustanen

Downloading cars is much safer than robbing them.

And that's fine, but the state doing it, would not be fine.

Thinking theft should not be punishable by physical harm or theft by the justice system but also celebrating a victim empowering themselves by helping themselves are not mutually exclusive.

Helping themselves to a big slice of vehicular homicide pie.

At the end of the day it's folks being okay with people feeling empowered to commit heinous acts when they think they have been wronged. George Zimmerman thought he was wronged. The dude who shot some teens because their music was too loud thought he was wronged. It's why the criminal justice system (as flawed as ours is) ideally exists.

She should have just given him a light tap with the car - didn't have to straight up run him over. (jk)

In all seriousness, I hope she gets off easy - no law system in the world can understand true rage. It can happen to the best people.

Yeah, like Tim McVeigh. He was so mad, dude. Sure lots of kids died but true rage justifies everything.

Might seem nuts, but I don't have an issue with her running his ass down, literally. Some things for some people are hard to replace, and to even attempt to get a replacement would destroy them financially.

Don't steal shit that doesn't belong to you.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Well since it was a Walmart patron, I feel like they considered themselves less as a pregnant lady at a physical disadvantage, and moreso a mother-child team up who took down the robber with teamwork.

Might seem nuts, but I don't have an issue with her running his ass down, literally. Some things for some people are hard to replace, and to even attempt to get a replacement would destroy them financially.

Know what you can't ever replace?

Someones life.

dumb bitch, I hope he is okay.
why was he only running straight? do people only run straight when they in panic? could have gone to any direction and would have been fine.

He's a big Prometheus fan.

Human lives are hard to replace. Death is rather permanent.

Nipo

Was it a stand your ground state? Likely could have gotten in less trouble if she shot him and said she feared for her life.

Kthulhu

No sympathy from me

if he did steal ... pretty sure he did

then fuck him

Justice system needs to be more harsh on these fucks who do dumb shit to people minding their own business

Harsher punishments do little to deter crime.

Wait... he's dead?

Edit - Nevermind, read that wrong.

I didn't say it was justified - just that you can't accurately punish someone who loses control and isn't thinking straight.

She's an adult not a child.

Did you ever hear the phrase "Two wrongs don't make a right" while growing up? It's pretty deep.

He got what he deserved. Plain and simple. Yes, it's not suppose to be done, but he initiated that, the woman wasn't having it. If this asshole robbing her somehow led to her getting hurt or overexerting herself so much to the point that she loses the baby, what then? Someone who robs a pregnant woman does not deserve to live. It's really that cut and dry simple.

The Cowboy

He got what he deserved. Plain and simple. Yes, it's not suppose to be done, but he initiated that, the woman wasn't having it. If this asshole robbing her somehow led to her getting hurt or overexerting herself so much to the point that she loses the baby, what then? Someone who robs a pregnant woman does not deserve to live. It's really that cut and dry simple.
Your a sick person, a very sick person.

I'm not saying what she did was right, but clearly everyone in here is a dude and/or has never been pregnant.

Your hormones are out of control constantly.

As for the dude, he is really lucky he wasn't killed.

Aight cool then give him the death penalty for petty theft.

Wow you need help.

Kthulhu

She literally almost did this.

Really? Death penalty for stealing a god damn purse?

People like you are part of why America is such a fucked up place.

I'm not saying what she did was right, but clearly everyone in here is a dude and/or has never been pregnant.

Your hormones are out of control constantly.

As for the dude, he is really lucky he wasn't killed.

That doesn't excuse her actions. Are you going to blame her lack of remorse on hormones too?

.JayZii

Banned
Never said any of it was right, bud.
You said people are "honor"ing him or discreetly defending him by saying that he shouldn't have been run over by an SUV. Saying he didn't deserve to be crushed by a car doesn't equate to "yay he robbed a pregnant lady!"

"He did bad, she did bad. He stole, so he should be murdered on the spot." I'm sick of this false equivalency shit, bud.

Aske

I hope she gets off due to pregnancy brain. She's dealing with enough without having to pay for a new drivers' licence, losing a chunk of her budget, cancelling her cards, and buying a new phone.

What she did is not acceptable, but unless a judge can present a different course of action that would have resulted in her not losing her purse and everything in it, I don't think she deserves to be punished for this. The only alternative was to stuck it up, file a police report, and take the L; and no one is going to help her come up with the funds to recover. Victim services should; and then there would be no excuse for trying to run down a theif.

Sandfox

She should be charged with attempted murder.

I hope she gets off due to pregnancy brain. She's dealing with enough without having to pay for a new drivers' licence, losing a chunk of her budget, cancelling her cards, and buying a new phone.

What she did is not acceptable, but unless a judge can present a different course of action that would have resulted in her not losing her purse and everything in it, I don't think she deserves to be punished for this. The only alternative was to stuck it up, file a police report, and take the L; and no one is going to help her come up with the funds to recover. Victim services should; and then there would be no excuse for trying to run down a theif.

And then every pregnant criminal will use that excuse.

He still had her purse right? I'd say she has the right to retrieve her stolen property using whatever level of force she deems necessary to be effective and minimizes her capacity to come to harm. You can't just tell people they have to sit there and watch a crime being committed against them. It could be their livelihood being taken away from them. They have the right to retrieve their property, even if that force could be potentially deadly. If you don't like it, don't steal. Don't forget who the perpetrator is here.

But once property is retrieved it should be required to deescalate the situation and use minimal force. Either just detaining or fleeing. No revenge justification.

Shredderi

There is no authority that will reimburse you if you are robbed, right? Like say in a hypothetical situation someone robs you and you had all your cash on you. That guy then just before getting caught by the police throws the money into a furnace. It's now all gone. The guy himself is a poor as fuck so there isn't a possiblity of getting money back from him either. Even if the guy gets punished to the full extent of the law, the person he robbed will be now left without the money. Just because the robber decided to.

Sorry, not really related all that much to this case but this is something I've thought about a few times, how someone could potentially really fuck someone over if they wanted. The lady should have just let the cops or guard etc. get the guy instead.

Top Bottom