• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PREMATURE EJACULA-TON: PS3 delayed until November 2006 in Japan?

Odysseus

Banned
PS3:発売を11月初旬に延期 次世代DVD規格遅れで

ソニー・コンピュータエンタテインメント(SCE)は14日、今春に予定していた新型ゲーム機「プレイステーション(PS)3」の発売時期を11月初旬に延期することを決めた。15日に発表する。ゲームソフトの記録媒体として採用する次世代DVD「ブルーレイ・ディスク」(BD)の規格作りなどが遅れて量産体制が整わないため。世界的なヒットが見込まれるPS3の発売延期は、次世代ゲーム機のシェア争いにも微妙な影響を与えそうだ。

◆シェア争いに影響

同社は昨年5月、PS3の発売時期を「06年春」と発表していたが、昨年末に業界でまとめるはずだったBDの著作権保護に関する規格策定が遅れ、予定通り量産化できなくなった。関係者によると、今春発売なら当初は50万台程度しか商品をそろえられず、業界が初期出荷に必要と見込んでいた250万台を大幅に下回る見通しになり、品不足による消費者の混乱を避けるため発売を先延ばしすることにした。

新型ゲーム機では、すでに販売されている米マイクロソフトの「Xbox360」が低価格攻勢をかける可能性があるほか、任天堂も年内に新型機「レボリューション」を発売する計画で、PS3の発売延期で消費者が他社製品に流れる可能性がある。

◆発売に不安?

発売延期について、片山栄一・野村証券金融経済研究所シニアアナリストは「規格策定が遅れたためではなく売れるソフトとゲーム機の新しい機能が足りないためではないか」と推測する。PS3はスーパーコンピューター並みの高機能を誇るため発売価格は従来機の3万~4万円という水準より高くなることは確実。このため、目玉になる機能やソフトがなければ一気に販売台数を伸ばすことは難しい。

SCEはこうした指摘を否定。高精細な映画を見る次世代DVD再生機としての機能やネットオークションなどインターネット上のコンテンツ(情報の内容)などを組み合わせた新たなゲームソフトなどを投入すれば十分需要はあると強気にみている。

◆より広い影響も

現在、米ハリウッドの大手映画会社6社中5社がBD陣営への参入を表明、東芝などが推すHD-DVD陣営を圧倒している。昨年10月、HD支持だったパラマウントが「BD参入の決め手の一つはPS3への搭載」と説明したように、PS3の今春発売の予定がBD陣営の切り札になっていた。その発売時期が延期されたことで、映画会社の姿勢が微妙に揺れる可能性がある。

またソニー本体の業績に影響を及ぼす可能性もある。2000億円を投じて開発した新型半導体「セル」やBDを搭載したゲーム機だけに、「PS3で失敗は許されない」との声は強い。発売延期が消費者の動向にどう響くのか注目される。【谷口崇子】

毎日新聞 2006年3月15日 3時00分

That said it all, man.

What did it say?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's as official as a Nihon Keizai report can be. Which is possibly quite official indeed if info has been circulated more widely (as Fishie seemed to suggest) and somebody went a bit leaky..

Oh well, not long till we know for sure. I hope to awake to some juicy news and no doubt, a zillion pages..

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Come on now, everyone is tip-toeing around whats really going to happen here...

unfortunately for me (And other like me)

US / Japan Fall 06, with us Euro's taking the fall for a Spring '07 release.

Boooo :(

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Shogmaster said:
1387972_791412.jpg

*whistles nonchalantly*

Why is "microprocessor" spelled wrong :(

Odysseus said:
That said it all, man.

What did it say?

This Mainichi Shimbun article says, according to an industry source, as the mass production was delayed due to the delay of the standardization of the copy protection technology of BD, if PS3 is released in Spring they will be able to offer only 500k units that is far lower than 2.5 million the industry expected, so they decided to delay it.

I do hope to GOD that PS3 comes out in 2006.....because if it doesn't, that gives Nintendo the perfect excuse to delay Revolution.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
This Mainichi Shimbun article says, according to an industry source, as the mass production was delayed due to the delay of the standardization of the copy protection technology of BD, if PS3 is released in Spring they will be able to offer only 500k units that is far lower than 2.5 million the industry expected, so they decided to delay it.

erm... but didn't they launch with 500k units for the PSP here?

I wonder what else is up ?

if/when this is confirmed, does everyone want to get together and write a group letter to all those ANALysts who apparently knew fuck all?

choplifter said:
I do hope to GOD that PS3 comes out in 2006.....because if it doesn't, that gives Nintendo the perfect excuse to delay Revolution.

I'm hoping for an August US Revolution launch. I don't know why.

Amir0x

Banned
*sigh*

I just hope it does make it out in the US this year, 'cause then nothing much changes in my personal plans.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Wall Street's performance has sent the Nikkei on a positive trend. Sony is headlining because of the news report. The decline might be less than some might have anticipated due to the US performance boost today.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Vennt said:
Come on now, everyone is tip-toeing around whats really going to happen here...

unfortunately for me (And other like me)

US / Japan Fall 06, with us Euro's taking the fall for a Spring '07 release.

Boooo :(

How big a gap was there between PS2 region releases? I'm half expecting us Europeans to get it in Summer or even Winter 2007. Mainly because Sony seem to be prone to shortages much longer than most companies.

Am seriously contemplating importing my stuff from US exclusively now, has been a breath of fresh air with portables.

Amir0x said:
*sigh*

I just hope it does make it out in the US this year, 'cause then nothing much changes in my personal plans.

Honestly, a delay does not effect me at all. Sony and Microsoft already screwed me on launch systems, they won't get my money in the first year and a half of their new systems anyways.

Chittagong

Gold Member
argon said:
Nintendo's stock is plummeting.. does it mean anything?

9:10 16,580 -450 (-2.64%)

the volume is pretty low so until more changes hands I wouldn't call it one way or another. Topix is on a sharp rise, however, for what it's worth.

I still want to know how this was done and where it came from?

I know the movie Breakin' and all but how did they get Van Damme's stupid dance in there
dammedance.gif

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DCharlie said:
Maybe so. Can't hurt to wait a few more hours to hear it directly from Sony. Esp. since this apparently not sourcing anything official from Sony.

GashPrex said:
in what regards? you think sony will let this news hammer it's stocks as well as its publishers stocks if its false?
I don't know what your definition of "hammer" is but I don't think a drop of a few percentage points qualifies. The stock market is speculative, stock values fluctuate all the time and a lot of truthish sounding or outright false market analysis contributes to that. The speculation about a PS3 delay has been going on for weeks, and Sony has already previously restated that they are still aiming for a Spring release, not more than 3 weeks ago. It didn't stop the speculation then, so why would it stop it now?

Mrbob

Fishie flop oog said:
There will be some nice PSP anouncemens yes.

Sweet. I'm already expecting a late PS3, so the new PSP announcements are more interesting to me at the moment.

kaizoku said:
How big a gap was there between PS2 region releases? I'm half expecting us Europeans to get it in Summer or even Winter 2007. Mainly because Sony seem to be prone to shortages much longer than most companies.

Am seriously contemplating importing my stuff from US exclusively now, has been a breath of fresh air with portables.

I'm not sure but I think the ps2 launched during March in Japan, Oct. in NA and Nov. in Europe. If they squish Japan and NA close together it could well be that Europe effectively pays the price and gets a launch in the summer or winter of 2007

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
kaching said:
Maybe so. Can't hurt to wait a few more hours to hear it directly from Sony. Esp. since this apparently not sourcing anything official from Sony.

I don't know what your definition of "hammer" is but I don't think a drop of a few percentage points qualifies. The stock market is speculative, stock values fluctuate all the time and a lot of truthish sounding or outright false market analysis contributes to that. The speculation about a PS3 delay has been going on for weeks, and Sony has already previously restated that they are still aiming for a Spring release, not more than 3 weeks ago. It didn't stop the speculation then, so why would it stop it now?

up until this point no official news reports with affiliations with the stock market and i wasn't talking about the japan ones(though I'd assume that will happen), but the US ones that had already been affected.

guess we'll see huh?

Raven. said:
I know even launch 360 games took a good chunk of that 7~GB space available, and many'd hope for exponentially better looking titles like Brothers and Rainbow, which should one'd imagine take more space(unless they're short or recycle content, or both ala many a pc shooter). Sequels often double the number of areas/lvls/cities/cars while boosting visuals further up, so one'd imagine a noticeable increase in size.

Remember they don't have to fill 25GB, they only've to need more than around 7~GB iirc.

Recent blog from XNA Studio Product Manager claiming that new tool being unvieled at GDC can decrease game sizes (Example is 40%).

XNA Build Blog

Sony should nip the delay news in the bud ASAP before it spreads all over the internet, like 'The Nothing' from Neverending Story..... opps too late :lol

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Andy Parsons, a U.S. spokesman for the Blu-Ray Disc Association, said, "Any assertion that there is a delay in the copy protection technology is something we are not aware of. As far as we are concerned, everything's on track."

The papers said the PS3 will be launched almost simultaneously in Japan, the United States and Europe. Sony has never said officially in which geographical region the players would launch.

Link

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

'aiming' is a word with a number of ambiguity in it though. Aiming isn't a firm confirmation (obviously).

with many of the publishers stocks going down, i'd have expected a quick retort to the contrary this morning from Sony.

Dave Long

Banned
There's a guy at the Quarter To Three forums who is saying that no one has final devkits yet so therefore no games can be finished in time for any kind of "Spring" launch. He's obviously talking about Western development though. Does anyone in Japan have a final devkit? Namco? Konami?

I mean, if they haven't finalized things yet, that's a problem and means a delay to November was pretty much inevitable.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
If Sony launches in the US before Japan, but Japan still gets it shortly after the US, GAF is going to go fucking nuts.

And I am going to laugh my ass off because I was on the other side of "it will never be done".

Says who? Money says differently many times in this business world.

Please Sony! DO IT!!!

Oh, and if you guys want to read that Japanese page in Firefox, use this extension.

Dave Long said:
There's a guy at the Quarter To Three forums who is saying that no one has final devkits yet so therefore no games can be finished in time for any kind of "Spring" launch. He's obviously talking about Western development though. Does anyone in Japan have a final devkit? Namco? Konami?

I mean, if they haven't finalized things yet, that's a problem and means a delay to November was pretty much inevitable.

Lack of final dev kits sounds believable at least.

Jesiatha

KeithFranklin said:
Recent blog from XNA Studio Product Manager claiming that new tool being unvieled at GDC can decrease game sizes (Example is 40%).

XNA Build Blog

Brian's Blog said:
I should point out that a 40% reduction in textures does not necessarily equate to a 40% reduction in overall game size, but it is a good proof point that we're headed in the right direction.

Still a huge gain. I can't wait to see what the XNA team shows off at GDC.

Chittagong

Gold Member
From the Reuters story

TOKYO (Reuters) - Sony Corp. (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research) will delay the release of its new PlayStation 3 video game console until early November because development of some of the technology is behind schedule, Japanese newspapers said on Wednesday.

The Nihon Keizai said consumer electronics makers and movie companies have been unable to reach an agreement on the development of the copy protection technology for the console's Blu-ray Disc drive.

Sony said it would hold a briefing on its PlayStation video game business at 3 p.m. on Wednesday, but declined to give details.

Sony shares fell 1.3 percent in early trade to 5,500 yen after the reports.

Cerebral Palsy said:
Sony launching in the U.S. first? Only Japan is going to eat up a launch consisting of one decent release and 11 different mahjong titles.

whereas US will eat up launch consisting of one decent release

So they're all citing the same story from Nihon Keizai? And the story says PS3 is delayed because of a 6 month hold up in the BR copy protection (which doesn't seem to be true) and because they'd only have 500,000 units for a Spring launch (instead of 2.5 million). Seems strange.

Jonnyram

dynamitejim said:
So they're all citing the same story from Nihon Keizai? And the story says PS3 is delayed because of a 6 month hold up in the BR copy protection (which doesn't seem to be true) and because they'd only have 500,000 units for a Spring launch (instead of 2.5 million). Seems strange.
Yes, I'm sure the Nikkei newspaper is lying... :rolleyes

Top Bottom