• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PREMATURE EJACULA-TON: PS3 delayed until November 2006 in Japan?

Kolgar

OK, honestly, a 2% decline is not a "tumble," nor is it anything a publically traded company would even bat an eyelash at. Whether the delay rumor is true or not, Sony has absolutely no need to respond to this article, what with a planned press conference coming up in mere hours.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
However, Disney chief executive Bob Iger told Variety.com that the company is considering releasing some of its stock on the rival HD-DVD format. "We will probably publish in both formats," Iger said.

!

Ruh roh.

Today is also Blu Ray/HD DVD-ton or whatevs. The HD thru component is great news for everyone though. huzzah. Now we can have a long stupid format war.

Crisis said:
jerryshow6.jpg

(I think you mean "Stringer". :))

Man, that's one sad looking audience. :lol

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
OK, honestly, a 2% decline is not a "tumble," nor is it anything a publically traded company would even bat an eyelash at. Whether the delay rumor is true or not, Sony has absolutely no need to respond to this article, what with a planned press conference coming up in mere hours.

it isn't just Sonys stock that is affected though.

Kolgar

DCharlie said:
it isn't just Sonys stock that is affected though.

So let's say it's true. The stock's going to be affected anyway. Today, tomorrow - makes no difference.

But what if Sony comes out and says Japan in summer, US in fall or winter? Everyone's stock rockets and this 2% "tumble" is forgotten.

Either way, there's no reason to utter a word until 3 p.m.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Kolgar said:
So let's say it's true. The stock's going to be affected anyway. Today, tomorrow - makes no difference.

But what if Sony comes out and says Japan in summer, US in fall or winter? Everyone's stock rockets and this 2% "tumble" is forgotten.

Yep. Everyone stop discussing this................now!

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Oi! - Tha's our job, and I'll damned well discuss the unlikelyhood of us damn forgotten Europeans seeing a PS3 until 2007 if I want to :( ;)

Wait... I don't want to, I want one in 2006, good job the 360's gonna tide me over, feel sorry for single system advocates though, it's going to be a slim year for them :p

Jonnyram

Kolgar said:
What exactly gives you reason to think like this?

DCharlie

erm.... okay, i won't go into it - work and boards do not mix.

But okay - lets see what the official word is.

White Man

I say throw Europe under the bus by giving it a 2008 release, and then do a simultaneous US and Japan launch. That way, Vennt will be extra pissy for the next 2 years. It's the only way that GAF will stay in line in the long run.

-Damien- said:
with the x360 selling at monthly average of 150K-180K in North America
let me guess...

ps3 = fall + Xbox 360 = Madden 07 / Pes 6 ( For Europe) next gen exclusive => sales = BOOOOOST :)

It's all about sports . :D

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
2008? That'd force me back into PC gaming as well, that wouldn't see me pissy, it would see me nuclear ;)

kevm3

If the thing isn't going to be releaesd until November in JAPAN, when does that mean we'll see media for the thing?

If Sony's going to wait until next year to release the system in America, they better increase the specs of the system, or at least maintain that what they have is significantly better than what is on the 360. I'm not willing to wait for Sony to finish developing copy protection and to pimp Blu-Ray. The difference between the 360 and the PS3 has to be at least X-box to Ps2 level or more.

Assuming the PS3 releases in Spring 2007, we're basicaly a WHOLE YEAR away! With the lack of media on the PS3 and Sony's fumbling around on actually getting the machine out, my interest in PS3 is approaching nil, which is sad to say, after how hyped I was after it's initial showing. Plus, they are going to miss out on Christmas sales. After people buy 360s for Christmas, they probably aren't going to buy a brand new system 3 months later. If Microsoft announces a $50 price drop or so at Christmas and Sony doesn't release by then, then shit will hit the fan.

What's really dangerous for Sony if they release in March or so is that they are going to have to compete with 3rd generation or so 360 graphics. Unless the PS3 is significantly more powerful than the 360, the 360's 3rd generation graphics may even look better than what the PS3 is launching with. Unless they have some blockbusters set for release such as a Final Fantasy, then Sony's arrogance is going to come back and kick them in the ass. I'm not going to wait a year for racing games, sports games and the other typical launch titles if they barely look better than 360 games.

With this announcement, will we see any real games any time soon? If there's nothing playable and amazing-looking at E3, the system won't come out in the US until Spring 07 and we're treated to more concept/target renders and that sort of bullshit, I'm purchasing a 360 and not looking back.

GreekWolf

-Damien- said:
with the x360 selling at monthly average of 150K-180K in North America and 1K-1.5K in Japan, Sony can take as much time as they want with PS3 :lol
It will be interesting to see those figures next month, with two of the most anticipated games of the year ( GRAW and Oblivion ) releasing in March. :)

gkryhewy

GreekWolf said:
It will be interesting to see those figures next month, with two of the most anticipated games of the year ( GRAW and Oblivion ) releasing in March. :)

Along with, you know, an actual SUPPLY of 360s finally.

Kolgar

Jonnyram said:
What exactly gives you reason to think like this?

It was a hypothetical.

That said, the delay is most likely real.

THAT said, Sony plays its cards a lot closer to its chest than, say, Microsoft. We got bad news today, but I'm waiting for the official word before I proclaim Sony's goose as cooked. Hopefully we'll be pleasantly surprised.

DCharlie

big question : will nintendo pull some spoiler tactics today a la the PSP announcement by unloading a load of Rev details to get some attention?

Lo-Volt

GreekWolf said:

So long as the supply of consoles really does stabilize, though.

Kolgar

DCharlie said:
big question : will nintendo pull some spoiler tactics today a la the PSP announcement by unloading a load of Rev details to get some attention?

So much for work today, eh? :)

In answer, I'm not sure there'd be much point. Given the consoles' radically different approaches, audiences, and price points, I'm not sure PS3 and Rev are competing any more directly than PSP and DS.

IGN jumping the gun?

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/695/695890p1.html

They also wanted to build a game that fully took advantage of the Cell processor. To that end, they created a new system from the ground up and made sure they implemented a lot of eye-catching features, such as realistic, fully interactive water. There are also plenty of particle effects and Havok powered real-time physics, including rigid body and rag doll physics, to enable interactivity between the player, the environment and any objects they'd be able to come into contact with. For example, you'll be able to pick up and launch an enemy into a group of their allies, scattering them all with the force of the impact.
:lol

PkunkFury

If they can't launch in Japan sometime in the summer, they may as well push Japan launch to next spring and get all of the units they can to the US for holiday 2006.

Sony needs to have a healthy stock of PS3s on American shelves this holiday because 360 will be in full stock. Every PS3 not available for this holiday is another chance of someone picking up a 360 instead. In Japan, no one will be grabbing 360s, they can wait for the PS3. For Japan next gen starts when the PS3 launches; in America, it starts this holiday, with or without the PS3. I'd say the PS3 should launch in Europe first as well, but Europe is almost always the last to get the systems, so it's not even worth suggesting. Unfortunately, as a Japanese company, I doubt Sony would launch in other countries months before Japan, for fear of upsetting the public and developers.

Sony could try a worldwide launch, but all of these rumors makes it sound like production will be rushed, and every system sent to Japan this winter will be sorely missed elsewhere. I'm sure they'll sell every unit they can put on the shelves, no matter which territory they launch in.

BoxGuy finally unvieled to the world!

sounds like they are expecting quite a few titles to be shown tonight/tomorrow if that article is anything to go by.

saelz8

IGN said:
lMarch 14, 2006 - Recently, Sony Online Entertainment had a Pre-E3 press event where they showed off their upcoming lineup of titles. Not only did it serve as an easy way to check out the titles away from the hustle and bustle of the show floor, it was a great chance to see how some of their other franchises were progressing. It also served as a venue to unveil a secret project that SOE has been working on for the PS3 launch window.

OH SNAP!!

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Boxguy can now be unleashed ;)

But do it in another thread guys, this is delayaton,, and I want to keep it on-topic, thanks :)

Unison

Sorry but this is too good to pass up:

They also wanted to build a game that fully took advantage of the Cell processor. To that end, they created a new system from the ground up and made sure they implemented a lot of eye-catching features,

Box Guy maxxed out the PS3!!!

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Vennt said:
Boxguy can now be unleashed ;)

But do it in another thread guys, this is delayaton,, and I want to keep it on-topic, thanks :)

?

We can only talk about the delay in this thread, and not the other PS3 announcements?

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
DenogginizerOS said:
You forgot Europe.

European sales of X360 are only so-so these days, IIRC...though not as bad as Japan...

AFAIK, North America is the only place X360 is an outright success sales-wise..

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
If the announcements are to do with the delay, they can go here, but seriously I would expect another thread for the other items that come up, as we're already 16 pages into this thread and it may as well stay on topic now.

GhaleonEB

Kleegamefan said:
European sales of X360 are only so-so these days, IIRC...though not as bad as Japan...

I thought we had multiple reports that the 360 was 1st or 2nd (to the PSP) in Europe so far this year. At any rate, with such a long window likely ahead of the PS3 in that territory I'd say that is where MS has the most opportunity if it gets the PS3 in 2007.

I'd be really surprised if ps3 launches in u.s before japan.. i'd also be really suprised if sony tries to launch in both territories a month within each other.

didn't they say that ms was stupid for doing a world wide launch?

now they are going to do it as well?

just shocked..

Snap.

Kleegamefan said:

1M units in 3 1/2 months is outright success??

Granted the software sales are good, but still, they're 1/2 of what the original Xbox had at this point.

But, I must go to bed now. Early day tomorrow. Make this thread great (and the others too)

Kobun Heat said:
Nintendo did that once except there were only two hookers and everybody had to share. Typical.
Let's be fair, though. Each Nintendo hooker allowed for twice as many players as a Sony hooker.

Top Bottom