• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PREMATURE EJACULA-TON: PS3 delayed until November 2006 in Japan?

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
dynamitejim said:
So they're all citing the same story from Nihon Keizai? And the story says PS3 is delayed because of a 6 month hold up in the BR copy protection (which doesn't seem to be true) and because they'd only have 500,000 units for a Spring launch (instead of 2.5 million). Seems strange.

Where is this information on production numbers?? (an honest question)

I have heared the 2.5M number once before in this thread but didn't think anything of it..

So what is the story?? Is Sony implying they have .5M PS3s ready to go?? :lol :lol

Chittagong

Gold Member
Bloomberg reports

Sony Shares Drop on Report PlayStation 3 Delayed to November
March 15 (Bloomberg) -- Shares of Sony Corp., the world's biggest video-game maker, fell as much as 2 percent after a newspaper reported the company will delay the debut of its PlayStation 3 console to November from its plan to sell the machine in spring.

The stock fell 1.3 percent to 5,500 yen as of 9:26 a.m. on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, compared with a 0.6 percent gain in the Nikkei 225 Stock Average. Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. spokesman Daisuke Nakata declined to comment on the Nihon Keizai newspaper report saying the player would be sold from November.

MrDaravon

I have to second whoever mentioned closing the forum to non-members, this place is running slow as hell. I dread what it'll be like tonight =/.

Lo-Volt

SailorDaravon said:
I have to second whoever mentioned closing the forum to non-members, this place is running slow as hell. I dread what it'll be like tonight =/.

Just a preview for E3 2006? :-O

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
More confusion. From the Washington Post/Reuters article:

The Nihon Keizai business daily said on Tuesday that Sony will push back the release of its much anticipated PlayStation 3 video game console, which will include a Blu-ray drive, to November, although a U.S. Sony spokesman said plans to launch the PS3 in the spring remained on track.

A Blu-ray spokesman also said the spring launch of the format and players remained on track.

Link

RaijinFY

icon52.gif

Chittagong

Gold Member
Madness is only starting, but it's 3 AM here so I need to get some sleep.

Once I wake up the bitchslap has been delivered.

Kleegamefan said:
Where is this information on production numbers?? (an honest question)

I have heared the 2.5M number once before in this thread but didn't think anything of it..

So what is the story?? Is Sony implying they have .5M PS3s ready to go?? :lol :lol

The Mainichi report said that should Sony launch PS3 this spring, only half a million units would be ready, falling short of the projected necessary shipment of 2.5 million units.

Why would they even speculate about it when they claim it'll be delayed anyway?

PC Gaijin

choplifter said:
LMAO @ new thread title

Wow, I thought choplifter/doncale/midnightguy/xexex would wait a bit longer than a few hours after his xexex nick got banned to start using his alts. :lol

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
GashPrex said:
up until this point no official news reports with affiliations with the stock market and i wasn't talking about the japan ones(though I'd assume that will happen), but the US ones that had already been affected.
Yes, there have been. Were you around back at the end of February? This is all too familiar. Several official news sources reported, stocks were affected, etc., etc., etc.

guess we'll see huh?
Yep, like I've been saying.

DCharlie said:
'aiming' is a word with a number of ambiguity in it though. Aiming isn't a firm confirmation (obviously).

with many of the publishers stocks going down, i'd have expected a quick retort to the contrary this morning from Sony.
Of course their previous statements offered them leeway. And they're holding an official press conference in what, less than 5 hours? Isn't that quick enough for a retort.

jarrod

Banned
Maybe they'll follow the PSP schedule?

Japan: Holiday 2006
America: Spring 2007
Europe: Fall 2007

...a simultaneous US/JP launch would probably be best for consumer awareness and hype, but I suspect the lowered stocks would make that a pretty hollow victory in both markets. They could sacrifice a 2006 American launch, but that'd be dangerous given the strength of the Xbox brand here. They could sacrifice a 2006 Japanese launch, but that'd be dangerous given a potnetial Japanese publisher backlash (which is what chiefly seperates "PlayStation" from "Xbox"). SCEI's in a tough spot here... either way though, I fully expect Europe to take the worst of it. :p

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Of course their previous statements offered them leeway. And they're holding an official press conference in what, less than 5 hours? Isn't that quick enough for a retort.

they hold the conference after market close - no, it's not quick enough. :(

RaijinFY

jarrod said:
Maybe they'll follow the PSP schedule?

Japan: Holiday 2006
America: Spring 2007
Europe: Fall 2007

...a simultaneous US/JP launch would probably be best for consumer awareness and hype, but I suspect the lowered stocks would make that a pretty hollow victory in both markets. They could sacrifice a 2006 American launch, but that'd be dangerous given the strength of the Xbox brand here. They could sacrifice a 2006 Japanese launch, but that'd be dangerous given a potnetial Japanese publisher backlash (which is what chiefly seperates "PlayStation" from "Xbox"). SCEI's in a tough spot here... either way though, I fully expect Europe to take the worst of it. :p

Yeah as usual... :/

Kolgar

So the newspaper says delay, a US Sony spokesperson says "spring on track."

Who to believe?

Nothing's official until it's official. Only four and a half hours to go.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i'm starting to think this whole things is going to be more about a remodelled PSP, Sony Connect and 333Mhz games.

I wonder if we are about to see things like GT-PSP, Wanda PSP, etc etc...

Quite excited either way, despite the news.

White Man

Kolgar said:

Who to believe?

I don't believe the US spokespeople can say anything that hasn't first been said by Sony Japan.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
White Man said:
I don't believe the US spokespeople can say anything that hasn't first been said by Sony Japan.

Not that they haven't been known to contradict each other in the past though ;)

(Although I'd hoped those days were over in the Springer era)

JoDark

MS Viral Marketing
Hey!!! The gaf is back in form!!

Now we just need some...

UNTOLD LEGENDS PS3 SHITTY SCREENS to really set Sony off:)

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I think this thread should die and a New one go up when the annoucment happens, with a even funnier headline. :lol

Where are those Kutaragi crying Gif's when you need them

3rdman

PhoenixDark said:
Just got out of my bio test. What did I miss? :lol

1. The internet was stunned to hear of a possible PS3 delay! Fanboys cried and screamed "Wait for Sony before its official!"

2. Che came on board and passed a rumor that October could be the release date for the PS3 in the US. The Fanboys creamed and then smoked a cigarette in satisfaction.

3. Bloomberg and Reuters have since picked up the story regarding the delay to November...no mention of October or region. Again the Fanboys cried, whined, and danced to remind us that we should "Wait for Sony before its official!"

4. The markets opened in Japan without a word from Sony...Content to see their stock fall 2% it is as much a confirmation as any can hope for. The Fanboys are still screaming about an official statement, but nobody is really listening to them anymore...except to feed off their misery. >: )

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
JoDark said:
Hey!!! The gaf is back in form!!

Now we just need some...

UNTOLD LEGENDS PS3 SHITTY SCREENS to really set Sony off:)

Everyone else that has tried to inflame this thread in a trollish manner has taken a few days off, you can join them.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Kolgar said:

Who to believe?

US Spring 2007?

3rdman said:
1. The internet was stunned to hear of a possible PS3 delay! Fanboys cried and screamed "Wait for Sony before its official!"

2. Che came on board and passed a rumor that October could be the release date for the PS3 in the US. The Fanboys creamed and then smoked a cigarette in satisfaction.

3. Bloomberg and Reuters have since picked up the story regarding the delay to November...no mention of October or region. Again the Fanboys cried, whined, and danced to remind us that we should "Wait for Sony before its official!"

4. The markets opened in Japan without a word from Sony...Content to see their stock fall 2% it is as much a confirmation as any can hope for. The Fanboys are still screaming about an official statement, but nobody is really listening to them anymore...except to feed off their misery. >:)
5. The anticipation for Box Guy is at an all time high making the wait unbearable.

Crisis

Banned
Vennt said:
Not that they haven't been known to contradict each other in the past though ;)

(Although I'd hoped those days were over in the Springer era)

jerryshow6.jpg

(I think you mean "Stringer". :))

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Crisis said:
jerryshow6.jpg

(I think you mean "Stringer". :))

I did, but it's late and I just heard "Jerry Springer" the Opera was just in town, so my mind wandered, forgive me.

(And I'm not kidding about the musical, seriously)

Striek

DCharlie said:
I wonder if we are about to see things like GT-PSP, Wanda PSP, etc etc...
I don't think there will be much focus on games.
Last meeting - PS2 redesign, playable PSP shown off, Blu-ray PS3 support announced.

This one - PSP redesign, PS3 delay announced, CONNECT announced?

-Damien-

Banned
with the x360 selling at monthly average of 150K-180K in North America and 1K-1.5K in Japan, Sony can take as much time as they want with PS3 :lol

Top Bottom