• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PREMATURE EJACULA-TON: PS3 delayed until November 2006 in Japan?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Xd wait wait...poeple think Playstation 1....is going to compete with the n64 now?

:lol :lol :lol

Come on now....

Nintendo to lose 50 million fans, Sony to gain 50 million fans overnight! News at 11!

Walkman is a success BECUASE Sony is successful in tech, period.

Sony does not have the same fanbase in home consoles, not even 1/4 the fanbase.

:D

Odysseus

Banned
chespace said:
Sorry to fan the flames with my earlier post. I just got back from lunch.

So yeah, word through the grapevine on my end is that PS3 might hit U.S. first (in Oct) with Japan in Nov. Although this info comes from a good source, I wouldn't say it's very dependable. Nobody except a small handful of inner circle folks at Sony know right now.

So everybody chill out, and play Xbox 360 until tomorrow morning. ;)

You are not the boss of me.

Monorojo

Banned
Still, In Japan alone Sony would have to LOSE 8 million~ fans and Rev will have to gaing ATLEAST 8 million for Nintendo.

Thats what you are all forgetting it seems, Nintendo may gain some audience, but Sony losing nearly half their fanbase in one generation due to launching 2-3 months later?

WTF where is the logic here? Its missing, something horrible has to happen to PS3 and something wonderful has to happen to Nintendo. Not one or the other....and honestly, Price wont matter in Japan, they pay $90 for freakin Dragon Quest games they'll pay $500+ for PS3.

The real victor in this thread is the Nihon Keizai Shimbun which remains the sole source of this information. Their own source is admittedly, "anonymous".

If the NKS was to be believed, late last year they reported that Sony and Toshiba had reached an agreement to unify BD and HD-DVD into a single format and we all know how that turned out. The NKS has been wrong on many previous occasions.

Patience. The real news will be out in 9 hours or so. :)

Amir0x said:
People are gonna get tired of waiting when they have two alternative, perfectly viable consoles on the market.

I take it you mean PS2 and NDS by two alternative perfectly viable consoles.

I would also include X360, PSP, Rev in there too - so that makes it 5 :)

User 7575

Banned
Who said we can't compare the PSP and DS to Rev and PS3?

Rev: Launching Early
DS: Launching early
PSP: Late
PS3: Late

Rev: Innovation!
DS: MRAH INNOVATION 2 SCREENS
PSP: Power
PS3: Power

THEY ARE TOTALLY UNALIKE

BITCHESS

Monorojo

Banned
Doc Holliday said:
Xd wait wait...poeple think Playstation 1....is going to compete with the n64 now?

:lol :lol :lol

Come on now....

Nintendo to lose 50 million fans, Sony to gain 50 million fans overnight! News at 11!

Walkman is a success BECUASE Sony is successful in tech, period.

Sony does not have the same fanbase in home consoles, not even 1/4 the fanbase.

:D

So much wrong with that post but ill just do the major ones.

1. Nintendo was in decline, struggled to beat Sega previous generation. Sony beat competitors by a LARGER amount than last generation.

2. Nintendo's fanbase was already in decline 60 -> 45 million in one generation. PS1 -> Ps2 100 million -> 100 million uhoh.

3. Nintendo stuck to carts and pissed off every major third party that mattered. Sony has the favor of all thrid parties, and is trying an advanced medium. Not sticking with outdated junk.

I can go on if you want, its a complete joke and a wet dream to even think Nintendo has a chance.

They dont, anywhere no matter the circumstances. PERIOD

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So I wonder if they'll be playable PS3 hardware at E3. Surely you don't need the copy protection hardware in place just to play demos.

Teddman

chespace said:
So yeah, word through the grapevine on my end is that PS3 might hit U.S. first (in Oct) with Japan in Nov. Although this info comes from a good source, I wouldn't say it's very dependable. Nobody except a small handful of inner circle folks at Sony know right now.
Che, Sony's own spokesperson Kei Sakaguchi himself isn't what I'd call dependable. Dude was spouting "There is no change in our original plan to release the console in spring 2006," on February 20th. Three weeks ago, then this! At this point, Sony has no credibility on the issue.

Now, if your source is someone at Merrill Lynch, then I'd say it's probably solid. :lol

xexex

Banned
man, I also hope that a (possible, likely even) 2007 release of PS3 in the U.S. does not mean 6 years until PS4. otherwise, that'd be....um.......2013 oh noes!

Well, that was a ridiculous 8 pages.

I'm not as big as a gamer as I used to be, so I really don't care. I was planning on waiting until PS3 dropped in price. I might just pick up a PS2 around Christmas time if it drops to $99. More time to catch up on all the Playstation gaming I've missed my entire life.

MassiveAttack said:
If the NKS was to be believed, late last year they reported that Sony and Toshiba had reached an agreement to unify BD and HD-DVD into a single format and we all know how that turned out. The NKS has been wrong on many previous occasions.

I could've sworn there were a number of different places reporting that talks were going on between the two. Not to mention that news didn't come right before some kind of press conference.

pestul

I hate to say it, but with the financial implications of this news taking off like wildfire, wouldn't it have been in Sony's best interest to respond to these claims immediately if thier version is any rosier?

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
xexex said:
man, I also hope that a (possible, likely even) 2007 release of PS3 in the U.S. does not mean 6 years until PS4. otherwise, that'd be....um.......2013 oh noes!

Awww man, and the PS4's "Psyche Rendering Engine" has so much promise, too! :lol

Striek

Monorojo said:
Still, In Japan alone Sony would have to LOSE 8 million~ fans and Rev will have to gaing ATLEAST 8 million for Nintendo.

Thats what you are all forgetting it seems, Nintendo may gain some audience, but Sony losing nearly half their fanbase in one generation due to launching 2-3 months later?
Please, you're Monorojo, Sony damage control officer. No matter what points you make the response is :lol

But yeah, I've posted this before...either people think the X360+Revolution will nearly triple their sales this generation (to ~60M) AND the PS3 still sells ~100 million or the gaming market will stagnate if not shrink. If PS3 sells less than that... :lol thats alot of slack MS and Ninty can't handle. So people predicting doom and gloom for PS3 are predicting as much for the entire industry.

MassiveAttack said:
The real victor in this thread is the Nihon Keizai Shimbun which the remains the sole source of this information. Their own source is admittedly, "anonymous"
Whilst not as official as this thread indicates, it sounds plausible.

xexex
; good going man, your on overdrive. Well, you have been for the last month of so, but you've truly stepped it up a notch here.

xexex said:

why are you bolding your posts? especially when they're totally incoherent?

BuddyC

pestul said:
I hate to say it, but with the financial implications of this news taking off like wildfire, wouldn't it have been in Sony's best interest to respond to these claims immediately if thier version is any rosier?
That's what tonight is for.

Here's my take. Logically, wouldn't one say that publishers and developers are more clued in than you or I? Therefore, if they have development kits, meaning they're in touch with Sony, and they're still planning a fall release for their PS3 games..

Animal said:
matthew_mcconaughey1.jpg

You know the drill boys :lol

bombzaldroppenton7wy.jpg

Talk about timing. Here's a quickie

Shawn

Banned
Just saw the title of this thread... can't bother to read all the posts.

But all I know is that a November 2006 PlayStation 3 launch in Japan means PS3 won't be here until sometime in 2007(!)

This better be a f*cking joke.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Monorojo said:
So much wrong with that post but ill just do the major ones.

1. Nintendo was in decline, struggled to beat Sega previous generation. Sony beat competitors by a LARGER amount than last generation.

2. Nintendo's fanbase was already in decline 60 -> 45 million in one generation. PS1 -> Ps2 100 million -> 100 million uhoh.

3. Nintendo stuck to carts and pissed off every major third party that mattered. Sony has the favor of all thrid parties, and is trying an advanced medium. Not sticking with outdated junk.

I can go on if you want, its a complete joke and a wet dream to even think Nintendo has a chance.

They dont, anywhere no matter the circumstances. PERIOD

Only a retard would not notice that the circumstances are different. I was just pointing how being so dogmatic about the videogame industry can come back to bite you in the ass.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
jamesinclair said:
If we go by history...

Japan: November 2006
USA: March 2007
Europe: August 2007.

Poor Europe.

Sony cannot CANNOT allow that to happen. I think they will break their long standing traditions and release first in NA.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Belfast said:
There will be no PS4! The world ends in 2012!

:lol

Shawn said:
But all I know is that a November 2006 PlayStation 3 launch in Japan means PS3 won't be here until sometime in 2007(!)

I'm really beginning to think what many Sony fans have said would never happen - will indeed happen. We in the US will get the PS3 before the Japanese.

Make it happen Sony!

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Shawn said:
Just saw the title of this thread... can't bother to read all the posts.

This better be a f*cking joke.
Look for two posts by chespace.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
chespace said:
Sorry to fan the flames with my earlier post. I just got back from lunch.

So everybody chill out, and play Xbox 360 until tomorrow morning. ;)

This make way to much sense.

What's Sony's benefit releasing the PS3 in Japan in Spring. They have like ZERO competition over there. The US is a whole other story missing 2006 would be a HUGE mistake

GhaleonEB

I think we may be overlooking the possible impact on Europe here. Let's assume for a moment that the US and Japan are going to launch first (as usual) and that Sony is going to try for both this year. There's no way they would launch in Europe before next summer, if their past history is any judge. And MS has at least as much market share to gain there than in North America.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
xexex said:

Take a week off, your enthusiasm for trying to incite the forum serves no-one, and adds nothing, others take note.

lancubap

Monorojo said:

WTF where is the logic here? Its missing, something horrible has to happen to PS3 and something wonderful has to happen to Nintendo. Not one or the other....and honestly, Price wont matter in Japan, they pay $90 for freakin Dragon Quest games they'll pay $500+ for PS3.

For a time, I agree with you.

But, I think it is possible also that Square-Enix come back to Nintendo !
I know that this is unlikely, but Square-Enix go where the leader is and all Final Fantasy & Dragon Quest sell well overall in Japan.
If Nintendo Revolution sell well at least in Japan, Square-Enix could reconsider its strategy and its support...

You must think that EVERY empire grows, stabilises himself, and then decline.

That's is a constant not only for videogames but for all sectors, and overall in politics.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Teddman said:
Che, Sony's own spokesperson Kei Sakaguchi himself isn't what I'd call dependable. Dude was spouting "There is no change in our original plan to release the console in spring 2006," on February 20th. Three weeks ago, then this! At this point, Sony has no credibility on the issue.

Now, if your source is someone at Merrill Lynch, then I'd say it's probably solid. :lol

Let's not fool ourself we both know that even if he knew he couldn't possibly talk about it. He doesn't make the call about announcing delay on such big product.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Let's not hang too much on what Che says. He can't be 100% sure himself, and I doubt he fancies getting lynched tomorrow if things don't turn out the way people want :p

GhaleonEB said:
And MS has at least as much market share to gain there than in North America.

Maybe, but overall Xbox performance to date hasn't been nearly the same. Sony is very very strong in Europe.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Monorojo said:

Sony doesn't have to lose a single fan. Nintendo has to find 8 million people who wouldn't normally play games, or would like something to go with their PS3 to buy their system.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
If Sony's midnight annoucement has the PS3 on track for Spring in Japan and NA, will GAF implode?

Teddman said:

What a spokes-hole says in official press releases =! what they say behind closed doors.

If Che knows someone 'on the inside', as it were, it could be different than what they say to the press. Even at this hour, we KNOW that decisions at the upper levels have been made with respect to just about everything that is still OFFICIALLY up in the air. Hell, OFFICIALLY, PS3 is still scheduled to launch in Spring 06, as they have yet to say anything to the contrary.

Of course, that will change as of tonight, but you see my point.

3rdman

Milhouse31 said:
This make way to much sense.

What's Sony's benefit releasing the PS3 in Japan in Spring. They have like ZERO competition over there. The US is a whole other story missing 2006 would be a HUGE mistake

Something strange with that logic though...if anything it confirms that Japan won't see the the PS3 until November but why not October? Why would Sony go out of their way to launch in US first when its just a month difference? You can argue that there isn't much of a difference, but when all their plans have revolved around launch in Japan first, why would that change if you still launch in both territories within a month of each other? I'll guess we'll see tonight.

The "early November" launch predicted by the Nihon Keizai Shimbun is a bit suspicious it has to be said. Sony has never launched hardware in Japan in November and the only Sony hardware launched anywhere in the world in November was the European PS2 launch on 11-24-00.

The September-December-March schedule is historically what Sony has stuck to.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
One reason I don't buy the "US in Oct" idea is that if that were the case, one would really think SCEA would be scheduling something for tomorrow, or shortly after, for local media..no?

Pimpwerx

chespace said:
Xbox fans, don't get your hopes up yet.

I'm hearing Oct. 2006 launch window for PS3.

The PS3 event tonight/tomorrow will announce official release dates so we'll see then I guess.
You'd better be right. This delay sounds perfectly feasible, but I have no idea how BD copy protection would affect the PS3 and not every other BD player promoted so far. They all use the same DRM scheme, and any other copy protection is done in firmware for the PS3. PEACE.

Cripes, something tells me the GAF connection problems after the Sony announcement in 9+ hours will be 10X worse than it is now. X_x

Liquid

Banned
if sony hits US and japan this year consoles will be severly limited. this is almost fact.
as far as launching in the US first, this puts a damper on JP 3rd parties that were looking toward the ps3 for year end profits. we're talking games that would see the light of day in the US for awhile. With that said I dont see how sony can launch in 2 territories this year with one of them being the US unless its limited supply.

Even if they launch with limited supply 360 will have so many huge games out that it will be hard for someone not to pick up a 360 in lieu of a ps3. both casuals and hardcore alike. madden? gears of war? its always been said here at GAF that its the games that sell the system. I dont see how the ps3 will be able to compete outside of 1 or 2 major sony franchises.

Ponn

Banned
gofreak said:
One reason I don't buy the "US in Oct" idea is that if that were the case, one would really think SCEA would be scheduling something for tomorrow, or shortly after, for local media..no?

Why? They only said Spring for Japan and they need to get that cleared up. They wouldn't need an "official" announcement for U.S. for a fall launch till E3.

gofreak said:

its very likely that, if the scenario is true, there is just the japanese conference and US networks will be sent video press releases (chock full of footage to run on the nightly news to put some coal in the hype train) the other option would be Phil giving a US timeframe next week at GDC with an official announcement of NA exact date and launch line-up at E3.

that is assumign the scenario is true which im a little skeptical of. Oct-Nov US/JPn launch schedule does not seem very sony at all.

Monorojo

Banned
Archie said:
Sony doesn't have to lose a single fan. Nintendo has to find 8 million people who wouldn't normally play games, or would like something to go with their PS3 to buy their system.

Nintendo would still be behind 21 million vs 12-13 million....

Sony HAS to lose fans for Nintendo to have a chance, or Nintendo somehow brings in 16 million new gamers.... Just cant see that happening, especially in Japan.

Top Bottom