• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prima Games USD$119.95 Dragon Age, Assassin's Creed guides

MrBS

I'm a lover of the nice hardcover guides out there but I think the most avid collector will be pushed to the limits with these.

Prima Games announces an amazing “Uber Edition” for Dragon Age Inquisition: The Dragon Age Inquisition Inquisitor’s Edition.

This ultra-exclusive collectible set is contained in a large leather-textured Dragon Age themed container and includes:

• 368-page Collector’s Edition hardcover guide with unique cover treatments matching the container
  • Stylized pen with Inquisition logo presented in a themed box
  • Four faux leather bookmarks topped with metal headers, stamped with Dragon Age faction emblems, and backed with colored ribbons matching the faction colors
  • Includes bonus in-game items
JjKj3yw.jpg

RdOmfH3.png

link
Prima Games is excited to announce Assassin's Creed Unity: Initiate Edition. This exclusive, ultra-limited edition box contains artifacts from an Assassin's initiation, along with a hardcover strategy guide to help you explore the open world of Arno’s Paris.

The weathered box is embellished with the Assassin’s crest. Beneath the lid rests the mystical chalice and a rough-edged, sealed scroll bearing the Assassin’s creed. Hidden deeper within the secret compartment is the hardcover strategy guide, which features high-res cover art on a premium soft-touch dust jacket, 32 pages of bonus content, and the expert strategies and tactics needed to discover all the secrets of Revolutionary Paris.

C9zugmd.jpg

link
Amazon preorders up for both. Well gaf?

I'm the kind of person that prefers to have a hardcover edition of books, especially ones that I love/think I'll love.

That being said, I have no idea why anyone would want to invest this kind of money into a strategy guide. I've considered buying leather-bound editions of The Bible and The Divine Comedy, because of their immense historical significance and how they shaped billions' perception of the world. I'd also consider buying one of 1984, my favourite book. This would cost about $50 a piece, from what I've seen. For works that are public domain, that's not insignificant.

But $120 for a strategy guide? And one for a game that you haven't even played? Seems kinda... weird, to me.

Of course, I'll state the obvious and say "To each, their own." If you want to spend money on such a thing, more power to you; I just don't personally see why a strategy guide is deserving of the treatment. *shrug*

I'm surprised people in this day and age need to buy hardcover strategy guides and walkthroughs when there's plenty free on the Internet like on GameFAQs.

I'm surprised people in this day and age need to buy hardcover strategy guides and walkthroughs when there's plenty free on the Internet like on GameFAQs.

It's like how boxed Collector's Edition of a game is still desirable even though you could just buy them digitally. Sometimes it feels good to have something you can hold in your hand, and sometimes you also want it to look good.

It's like how boxed Collector's Edition of a game is still desirable even though you could just buy them digitally. Sometimes it feels good to have something you can hold in your hand, and sometimes you also want it to look good.

I understand the basic concept, and I see why people would want it for something truly special -- like my previously expressed desire to have a leather-bound Divine Comedy. What I don't understand is why someone would so revere something like a strategy guide for a game that's not even out yet.

Like, if someone really loved the art of Final Fantasy and bought that FF art book, I totally understand; there's a built-in passion/fondness there, and it has a ton of artistic merit in its own right. But some dude(s) writing about where all the collectables are in a game you've not played yet seems like a poor target for such passion.

I understand the basic concept, and I see why people would want it for something truly special -- like my previously expressed desire to have a leather-bound Divine Comedy. What I don't understand is why someone would so revere something like a strategy guide for a game that's not even out yet.

Like, if someone really loved the art of Final Fantasy and bought that FF art book, I totally understand; there's a built-in passion/fondness there, and it has a ton of artistic merit in its own right. But some dude(s) writing about where all the collectables are in a game you've not played yet seems like a poor target for such passion.

Ah well, I could only give you the basic concept, for I also have no use for something like this. And despite loving to read, I'm not even interested in hardcover versions of any books so my passion is even lower than yours there, haha.

Just that... different people put different priorities to different things? Maybe someone just loves the series so much that they just need to have all related items to it? Like maybe someone who loves The Divine Comedy would then pre-order that EA game. And aren't these thick strategy guides usually also contains nice artworks and stuff? At least the Japanese ones do.

soqquatto

a 120$ game solution with a load of related rubbish that you will throw out the first time you move. I'm not even buying real books that cost $120 (although there are several that I'd buy if I was a tad richer), why should I get one that contains a walkthrough for a game it's beyond me.

soqquatto

Ah well, I could only give you the basic concept, for I also have no use for something like this. And despite loving to read, I'm not even interested in hardcover versions of any books so my passion is even lower than yours there, haha.

Just that... different people put different priorities to different things? Maybe someone just loves the series so much that they just need to have all related items to it? Like maybe someone who loves The Divine Comedy would then pre-order that EA game. And aren't these thick strategy guides usually also contains nice artworks and stuff? At least the Japanese ones do.

anyone that loves the Divine Comedy wouldn't touch the idiotic EA game with a very long stick

edit: I've got a tag!

Makes sense- in the age of the internet and everyone having tablets/laptops the only real purpose print guides serve is to be collectors' items, so why not just focus on that aspect?

I imagine this is for the same kind of people that applied for the recently announced GameStop credit card.

Seriously though they look nice but strategy guides are worthless these days. Make it an art book/making of book and I'd be more interested.

H3xum

I'm so upset with myself for how much I want the DA one.....

preordered
for now

It's on sale for only 106!

anyone that loves the Divine Comedy wouldn't touch the idiotic EA game with a very long stick

Well, different people put different priorities to different things. How would they know not to touch the idiotic EA game with a very long stick, anyway? They'd never played the game.

soqquatto

Well, different people put different priorities to different things. How would they know not to touch the idiotic EA game with a very long stick, anyway? They'd never played the game.

I admit mine is just speculation. but if you truly love the divine comedy (I'm not saying I do) then you might be somewhat put off by a game that seems to be inspired by it yet sports on its box a bare chested crusader with a cross sewn on the skin brandishing a scythe made of bones. then again, it might be a secret turn-on. who knows! but this has little to do with a 120$ strategy guide and the people who will buy it.

I think Prima Guides have definitely tapped into that logic. A whole batch of their guides coming out are almost exclusively hardcover. (see: Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, Witcher III and Battlefield: Hardline) I'm not sure what kind of financial data they got off of their previous Collector's Edition guides, but if those guides sell well enough to justify this kind of push (especially for the really pricey stuff they're trying with AC: U and DA: I) then Prima may have just pulled a really slick financial move that could keep them afloat for a while. I'm interested to see if it pays off for them or not.

E92 M3

Preordered both if they happen to become rare. If I can sell them for double, then I'll keep the order.

This.....who still buys strategy guides in the internet/tablet/smartphone age??

It's not about the actual strategies, but more for collection, bathroom reading and artwork.

Way too pricey. That Dragon Age one looks really nice, but there's no way in hell I'm spending $120 on a strategy guide. I'm not sure I could justify any price on a strategy guide in 2014. But I don't see anything wrong with this...

Includes bonus in-game items

Ok, now I do. Fuck this nonsense.

Also faux-leather? For a $120 set, don't give people plastic bullshit.

Gaogaogao

NOPE
I don't even buy collecter's editions for games, nevermind useless strategy guides when youtube shows you everything you need to know.

spookyfish

I love hardbound guides as collector pieces. I can't say when I've ever used them for the game.

That said, I'm out with these.

adj_noun

So at $170 for the Inquisitor edition and $120 for the collector guide, you too can get the entire premium Dragon Age Inquisitor package for only $290.

Kazerei

Banned
Absurdly overpriced. $120 is excessive for a collector's edition game, much less a strategy guide.

Agreed. The only collector's edition games I've bought are the ones that are just $10 more, like Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD, Wind Waker HD, Skyward Sword, Shin Megami Tensei IV, etc. I think FFX/X-2 was actually the same price as the normal edition, you just had to pre-order to upgrade it to limited edition for free.

Strategy guides are usually like ~$20 right? Seems crazy to crank the price all the way up to $120.

Top Bottom