• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Evolution Soccer 4 - Eurogamer review

Solid

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=56938

It's not an immaculate display overall, then, but it really is getting there, and it's so much more than the next sports adaptation these days. We may enjoy games like Tiger Woods, NHL and Virtua Tennis, but in most cases we're just in love with the mechanics. Even FIFA. Beat someone at that and you might celebrate and goad them about it, but when we score a goal in PES4, we do, even if it's just for a split second, feel like we've really put one past the other team. On a football pitch. It's suspension of disbelief. It's also proof more than anything that PES4 was designed by football brains for football brains. And if you love football as much as we do, then the only reasonable excuse for not buying it now is waiting for the Xbox version and challenging us over the Internet. Another season unbeaten for Konami.

9/10

-----

I got my copy today.. I'm quite disappointed over all the slowdowns :|

I got to the doors of one of Liverpool's GAME stores this morning at 9am to buy Donkey Konga, and I ended up behind quite a few people buying this game. It can only be a good thing!

Incidentally, the Donkey Konga + Kongas Pak wouldn't scan in their tills, so I told them I was in a rush and went and bought it in GameStation for £5 more. I wanted it that bad. Just waiting for a friend to come around so I can play some more! It rocks!

cja

Bah, this thread wasn't here when I started waffling in here!
ElyrionX said:
Anyone got any idea regarding the North American release?
Spring 2005 for the renamed, but essentially the same, Winning Eleven 8 International.

plik

-----

I got my copy today.. I'm quite disappointed over all the slowdowns :|

are you talking about the PS2 version? i guess the review was also about the PS2 ver. maybe the Xbox game will not have as much slowdown?

Solid

plik said:
are you talking about the PS2 version? i guess the review was also about the PS2 ver. maybe the Xbox game will not have as much slowdown?
Yeah, PS2... according to IGN, there are no slowdowns in the Xbox version. But I find that very hard to believe. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Deepthroat said:
Yeah, PS2... according to IGN, there are no slowdowns in the Xbox version. But I find that very hard to believe. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Well, I've read impressions stating the same thing as IGN. At least that slowdown in the Xbox version is very uncommon.

I'm playing Winning Eleven 6:FE on the GC at the moment and it's convinced me to get the Xbox version. I love PES3 on the PS2 but the DS analogue sticks suck when compared with the Xbox or Cube controller. When playing PES3, I don't even use the analogue stick, naturally losing some of the flexbility and fluency of control but it just doesn't sit comfortably with me.

I read IGNs impressions using the Xbox pad and while the mapping of controls to the black and white buttons sounds tricky, the analogue, LIVE support and potential loss of slowdown make the box version a winner. If it came out for the Cube though, I'd be all over that as the control is sublime using the GC pad.

plik

that's kinda crazy, i am the total opposite. i feel that the only way to play PES comfortably is with the dual shock 2. using a ps2=>Xbox controller converter.
btw. i managed to play an "demo" (modded) of PES4 on the Xbox and can confirm that there is zero slowdown. we tried everthing, different stadiums, weather, night/day games. in wide camera angle too! never saw any slowdown at any point. the game is amazing. definite must buy!

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Argh!

I'm not too keen on switching from the Dual shock to play this, but the slow down in WE8 is bad at times, and the bugs are a fecking joke (how can you suddenly screw so much up?! is this a deliberate ploy to keep introducing tiny things that aren't quite right so you buy the next version (which, incidentally, is out in two weeks time in Japan...)

And i guess i can get a XB->PS2 controller convertor and remap the controls.

... sh!t, when is the American version out???

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
cheers - i'm all over this :)

Finally, everyone will get to kick my ass over the net! :)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
DCharlie said:
the slow down in WE8 is bad at times, and the bugs are a fecking joke (how can you suddenly screw so much up?! is this a deliberate ploy to keep introducing tiny things that aren't quite right so you buy the next version

Microsoft pressed the big, red, shiny, irresistable, flashing, tempting "Operation Xenon" button. Suddenly, crazy amounts of American dollars flowed through secret tunnels underground towards Konami Headquarters.

Konami realized that an Xbox version of Pro Evolution Soccer was needed. But how to get people to buy the Xbox version? Hmm, online play. No! That's not enough. They needed something to piss PS2 fans off. The answer was Slowdown.

Thus, Operation Xenon had begun.

Top Bottom