• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton and the Last Specter/Spectre's Call |OT| NoA Strikes Back

duckroll

Winnie the Pimp said:
is London Life ACTUALLY worth it though?

I am considering importing just for this but if it's just a pointless little mini game in the end then there is no use and i could just get the euro version hmmm...

I dunno. Whether it's worth it or not depends a lot of what you expect it to be. It's not a minigame. But it's not really much of a RPG either.

Shiggy

hosannainexcelsis said:
Amazon says there's an unexpected delay with my order and now it's expected to arrive November 1(!). I wonder what happened...

From what I've heard NoA was asked to scrap the London Life mode, so now Amazon is waiting for a new shipment.

Shiggy said:
From what I've heard NoA was asked to scrap the London Life mode, so now Amazon is waiting for a new shipment.

Um, source? As far as I know, London Life is in no danger of suddenly being removed from all future printings.

Chairhome

^^messed up! (
as in messed up for shiggy spreading misinformation as a joke!
)

Just got the game! After calling Toys R Us all week, they finally found the game in a shipment yesterday and I got it as part of the Buy 2 get 1 free deal. I won't be able to get into it for a while, my wife is a bigger layton fan than me so she'll play it while I finish Kirby and 999...

Shiggy

ColonelSkills said:
Um, source? As far as I know, London Life is in no danger of suddenly being removed from all future printings.

Source is a disgruntled NoE customer.

I...oh.

I'm going to blame it being the start of the day on my failed sarcasm detector then. Derp. :(

Don't worry, you never know with Nintendo these days.

Kazerei

Banned
Help, I can't find puzzle #18, and I refuse to continue until I've found every puzzle in the sequence, 'cause of OCD or whatever disorder :(

Edit: found it!

creid

duckroll said:
I don't see anyone talking about it here, but my friend code for London Life is 1163-2773-6028. I wonder how many people on GAF will even end up playing this...
I think I haven't done enough tasks to go online yet, but I will post my code when I do.

GSR

My order is still on track, but I guess that could change within the day if you all are getting emails.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Mine got delayed too. Is this everywhere or just Amazon? I canceled my Amazon order, and I'll see if I can get it anywhere else on release day. Nov 1 is no bueno for me. That's Uncharted day, and nothing is going to drag me from Uncharted.

duckroll

thetrin said:
Mine got delayed too. Is this everywhere or just Amazon? I canceled my Amazon order, and I'll see if I can get it anywhere else on release day. Nov 1 is no bueno for me. That's Uncharted day, and nothing is going to drag me from Uncharted.

It can't be everywhere. The game was released in Singapore yesterday (US version) by the local Nintendo distributor. I picked it up in a store.

thetrin said:

Maybe the Amazon thing is one giant puzzle waiting to be solved. *chuckles*

When I saw that Amazon had yet to ship yesterday, I went to Target and picked up a copy there. I'm impatient for my Layton games.

Cheska

Not enough talk about this game :( Sould have released for the 3DS, would have probably done better. Im hoping Toys R Us has it in stock so I can pick two other games for their B2G1 promotion.

duckroll

Cheska said:
Not enough talk about this game :( Sould have released for the 3DS, would have probably done better. Im hoping Toys R Us has it in stock so I can pick two other games for their B2G1 promotion.

Hahahahahaha. What? If it were released for the 3DS, I wouldn't even be here. :p

Cheska

duckroll said:
Hahahahahaha. What? If it were released for the 3DS, I wouldn't even be here. :p

:shrug: I think a high profiled 3DS game would sell better than releasing it on the DS. Don't get me wrong, I still buy DS games all the time, but being that the 3DS has been around for months now, most people would expect something like this to transfer over. Who knows if we'll even see Layton vs Wright state side, but the demand and love for this series is there.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
duckroll said:
It can't be everywhere. The game was released in Singapore yesterday (US version) by the local Nintendo distributor. I picked it up in a store.
Oh okay. I'll just go to best buy and pick it up then. Totally forgot it came out today.

Mother of fuck I hate those puzzles where it has an unfolded cube. I simply cannot wrap my head around imagining how it would look when it's fully folded.

That's my rant.

duckroll

Cheska said:
:shrug: I think a high profiled 3DS game would sell better than releasing it on the DS. Don't get me wrong, I still buy DS games all the time, but being that the 3DS has been around for months now, most people would expect something like this to transfer over. Who knows if we'll even see Layton vs Wright state side, but the demand and love for this series is there.

I think you misunderstand. This game is 2 years old. There is a 3DS exclusive Layton game, that's the next game.

walking fiend said:
is it the one with fantasy life prototype?

Yup. I've been playing it quite a bit.

Cheska

duckroll said:
I think you misunderstand. This game is 2 years old. There is a 3DS exclusive Layton game, that's the next game.

Ah okay then. Well, here's to hearing more about that one then! Still looking forward to getting my hands on a copy if I can find one.

duckroll said:

Nice! I may give the series a go then. I bought the first game after I was done with Ace Attorney series, thought it'll be like that, but I didn't really like it. The story and characters weren't nearly as charming as AA's. But, I really liked what I saw from that prototype. Reminds of good old days I used to play Impressions' city management games.

duckroll

walking fiend said:
Nice! I may give the series a go then. I bought the first game after I was done with Ace Attorney series, thought it'll be like that, but I didn't really like it. The story and characters weren't nearly as charming as AA's. But, I really liked what I saw from that prototype. Reminds of good old days I used to play Impressions' games.

If you're going to buy the game just for London Life, you might want to know more about what it is first... it's not really a RPG. It's more like... a retro sprite version of Animal Crossing, except filled with characters from Layton 1-4.

TheExodu5

Banned
Everyone praises NoA for bringing London's Life over.

No one buys the game.

:(

I hope this does well. I really want Layton vs. Phoenix Wright!

duckroll said:
If you're going to buy the game just for London Life, you might want to know more about what it is first... it's not really a RPG. It's more like... a retro sprite version of Animal Crossing, except filled with characters from Layton 1-4.

-_- just made the thing more confusing. I thought it is something like Sim City, but you telling me it is more like Sims?! Sorry, I am clueless about this stuff, that's as far as I know about AC. I played mario for the first time on my Wii...

duckroll

walking fiend said:
-_- just made the thing more confusing. I thought it is something like Sim City, but you telling me it is more like Sims?! Sorry, I am clueless about this stuff, that's as far as I know about AC. I played mario for the first time on my Wii...

Well, I can try and describe the game for you. It's really nothing at all like Sim City. It's not a building or strategy game, it's a life simulation game.

You start by creating a character. You pick a name, a gender, and some basic appearance details. Then you start the game by arriving in Little London. The presentation is done like a retro top down 2D game, and it looks a lot like Mother 3, except with Layton characters. You move into a small apartment in Little London, and the game is structured like Animal Crossing where there's a day cycle, and you spend the day walking around the same small town talking to people, helping them with fetch quests, etc. You can take on jobs as well which are mini-games which earn you money.

There are stats like Happiness, Wealth, Coolness, Impression, Formality, etc, which are influenced by the things you do, or the clothes you wear. There is no combat in the game. There isn't really much to explore either since it's a pretty small area. It's just a day to day life sim, and every day when you get up you get a newspaper which has a list of "news" which will lead you to quests from certain characters, most of which are fetch quests where you bring something to them, or you bring something to someone else.

It's basically just a light time-waster, like what you would find in many cheap mobile games. There's really nothing meaty about it, and I'm only playing it because it's a freebie that came with the game, and because I like the Layton world and the various characters in the series. The real game is definitely Last Specter itself.

-Pyromaniac- said:
Mother of fuck I hate those puzzles where it has an unfolded cube. I simply cannot wrap my head around imagining how it would look when it's fully folded.

That's my rant.
Just spam guess to get through it :p. I feel your pain, my wife comes in handy on those puzzles. She is much more of a visual person than me.

tim.mbp

TheExodu5 said:
Everyone praises NoA for bringing London's Life over.

No one buys the game.

:(

I hope this does well. I really want Layton vs. Phoenix Wright!

I did my part. Bought yesterday at TRU. Haven't played much, but the
Laytonesque
quip was absolutely hilarious.

duckroll

Hollywood Duo said:
Just spam guess to get through it :p. I feel your pain, my wife comes in handy on those puzzles. She is much more of a visual person than me.

I handle visual puzzles pretty well. My Achilles heel would be the goddamn sliding puzzles. Every time I see a sliding block puzzle which requires me to move the key/princess/ball/goddamnshit from one slot to another by sliding fucking odd shaped blocks around, I just want to die. :(

thetrin

duckroll said:
I handle visual puzzles pretty well. My Achilles heel would be the goddamn sliding puzzles. Every time I see a sliding block puzzle which requires me to move the key/princess/ball/goddamnshit from one slot to another by sliding fucking odd shaped blocks around, I just want to die. :(
Oh god, I'm the exact same way. Math and visual puzzles are a cinch for me, but the minute I need to move things around to get a ball out of a corner, I'm like a drooling idiot.

Maybe that's why I found the second and third Layton games to be far easier than the first.

marjo

duckroll said:

I normally do all right with sliding puzzles but for some reason, I just couldn't do the one pictured here:

jgMto.jpg

After trying for about 20 minutes, I eventually gave up and used my hint coins. Fortunately, the hints basically give you a step by step solution to the damn thing.

lol well i guess i am just the opposite, not that i am necessarily good with sliding puzzles but i just LOVE them and will keep trying until i get it right :)

I SUCK at logic and math puzzles though so a LARGE part of these games simply annoy me and make me hate life lol... BUT i enjoy the settings, music, characters of the Layton games enough to make em worthwhile!

also: Thanks for that description of London Life... Sounds alright but not a must have for me so i might not have to go out of my way to order the US version then :)

duckroll said:
Well, I can try and describe the game for you. It's really nothing at all like Sim City. It's not a building or strategy game, it's a life simulation game.

You start by creating a character. You pick a name, a gender, and some basic appearance details. Then you start the game by arriving in Little London. The presentation is done like a retro top down 2D game, and it looks a lot like Mother 3, except with Layton characters. You move into a small apartment in Little London, and the game is structured like Animal Crossing where there's a day cycle, and you spend the day walking around the same small town talking to people, helping them with fetch quests, etc. You can take on jobs as well which are mini-games which earn you money.

There are stats like Happiness, Wealth, Coolness, Impression, Formality, etc, which are influenced by the things you do, or the clothes you wear. There is no combat in the game. There isn't really much to explore either since it's a pretty small area. It's just a day to day life sim, and every day when you get up you get a newspaper which has a list of "news" which will lead you to quests from certain characters, most of which are fetch quests where you bring something to them, or you bring something to someone else.

It's basically just a light time-waster, like what you would find in many cheap mobile games. There's really nothing meaty about it, and I'm only playing it because it's a freebie that came with the game, and because I like the Layton world and the various characters in the series. The real game is definitely Last Specter itself.
Thank you duckroll for extensive explanation. So basically it is Sims with fetch quests. I even wasted a lot of time on a sims spin-off for PS2 (that was the only Sims game I played anyway, but it was really good). However, I believe you would find a full sims game not meaty as well, or maybe I should look more. I will look more into details!

I am interested! Probably will get it sooner or later. Or I may end up getting Animal Crossing if it is like a meatier version of fantasy life.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
-Pyromaniac- said:

That's my rant.

You and me both. I hate those. :(

EDIT: HOLY SHIT! If you hold the shoe or suitcase icon and then drag them, THEY MOVE!! SINCE WHEN????

EDIT EDIT: Ah, just solved a Geometry puzzle. I love that that feeling of "Yes, I still remember how to do this!"

scottnak

My Amazon order got delayed too... went to the local Best Buy... and they didn't even have the game out on the floor yet. Had to flag someone down and they had to get it from the back room. Weird...

RurouniZel said:
EDIT: HOLY SHIT! If you hold the shoe or suitcase icon and then drag them, THEY MOVE!! SINCE WHEN????

WHAAAA wow @o@

marjo

I've got a real problem with puzzle 16 - Captain's call, the one about two identical ships passing by each other.

The solution claims that Captain White's ship must be traveling faster, but I don't agree. They base this conclusion on the fact that Captain Brown said "It looks like you've been steaming along at a fair rate of knots..." How can you conclude that means that White's ship must be moving faster? It might imply it, but it certainly doesn't guaranty it. It's certainly possible that Captain Brown's ship is traveling at an ever faster speed. Am I missing something obvious here?

Top Bottom