• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton and the Last Specter/Spectre's Call |OT| NoA Strikes Back

Amazon delayed my game to November and then shipped it yesterday. I should be getting it today. I think they've done something like this several times now.

JeTmAn81

Quadrangulum said:
Amazon delayed my game to November and then shipped it yesterday. I should be getting it today. I think they've done something like this several times now.

RETCON TIME!

Amazon still hasn't shipped mine. I hope I don't have to wait weeks and weeks to play this new game which I already bought :(

JeTmAn81 said:
RETCON TIME!

Amazon still hasn't shipped mine. I hope I don't have to wait weeks and weeks to play this new game which I already bought :(

well, they don't charge you until it's shipped, so you can cancel if you want.

im also in this 'shipping soon' phase with amazon though. oye.

JeTmAn81

thecouncil said:
well, they don't charge you until it's shipped, so you can cancel if you want.

im also in this 'shipping soon' phase with amazon though. oye.

Sadly, I don't really have the money to spend, so it needs to stick with Amazon since I used my reward points to get the game. It's ok, someday my Professor will come.

watershed

Banned
Really enjoying this game and all the subtle improvements. Haven't messed around with London Life yet cuz the main game is too addicting.

I got this at Target earlier today and haven't started the main game yet, because I wanted to check out Layton's London Life.

It's clearly not very substantive, but it's charming as hell. The spritework and the music are great, and the characters each have a really great personalities. The town is rather small and the quests so far have been simple, but once I figure out how to get my friend code (I'm very dumb) and get online I'll post it.

watershed

Banned
Is it just me or does anyone else want to see an animated scene showing all the amazingly good food that is featured in the Layton games? The restaurant in Last Specter has all the great dishes that sound amazing when the characters describe them and the restaurant itself looks very charming. I remember Unwound Future also had a small, quaint restaurant with food that sounded amazing. I'm jealous every time the characters eat...

Alright, I just got past the 20-quest requirement for online stuff in Professor Layton's London Life, so if anyone wants to add me my friend code is 2709-4674-7431. If you want to coordinate something, I'm probably best available in the late evening/night CDT (9pm-3am, or 2am-8am GMT), though if you want to connect at a different time I'm pretty flexible.

I already registered duckroll.

Kazerei

Banned
I just finished all 170 puzzles. The sliding block puzzles were so frustrating. I had to use hints for most of them, and even then, I needed a walkthrough for a few of the bonus ones. Especially the very last puzzle. Ugh.

Anything I should know before I start Layton's London Life?

Started the game yesterday and love the small updates they added. Especially when tapping around for hint coins and the messages that pop up only do so once. I know I spam tap to find coins and hitting a spot with a popup got really annoying in the other games. Also being able to move the shoe and suitcase icons is neat but i agree that it feels wrong to actually put them somewhere else. Haven't gotten too far yet but it's all I can think about while working today so I'll definitely be getting some good puzzling in this weekend :)

duckroll

I beat it. Clear save was 17 hours, but I think I missed a TON of stuff. Didn't complete any of the minigame collections, and I'm missing quite a number of Episodes, and other shit. Definitely gotta go back and clear all that shit up. Haven't beaten London Life either, but that's more of a daily toilet session game.

I'll write more detailed impressions later, but I really liked it. Layton games are the one time every year where I stop hating Level5 for a few weeks, and I'm glad that's still the case. :D

So I beat this game last night. Good times. Solid 8.5/10. I think it's one of the better ones. Loved the story, as usual. Level-5 kills it with these games. How Hino manages to make these games with such elegant and sweet and nice stories and then makes other games with random ass stories in itself is PUZZLING.

duckroll

-Pyromaniac- said:
So I beat this game last night. Good times. Solid 8.5/10. I think it's one of the better ones. Loved the story, as usual. Level-5 kills it with these games. How Hino manages to make these games with such elegant and sweet and nice stories and then makes other games with random ass stories in itself is PUZZLING.

I think that'll be the big reveal at the end of Layton 6. Hino was never behind any of the Layton games at all, it was his twin brother Hiro!

squall23

-Pyromaniac- said:
Well for the record, Layton needs a plot to be playable. Inazuma Eleven and Danball Senki don't need plot to be enjoyable games. I mean, a good plot would be nice, but it's not necessary. Seriously, when you can summon a phoenix using a soccer ball and leg power, the term "plot" is literally thrown out the window.

GSR

Just got to chapter 9, dunno how much longer I have to go since if I'm not mistaken the previous three games each had different numbers of chapters.

It's been a pleasure as always, and I'm finding the story to be a little more engaging than the previous games' (though I will be impressed if the ending is able to match up to Unwound Future's).

Kazerei

Banned
Yay, now there's people to discuss the story/characters with!

To be quite honest ... I was kind of disappointed with the way the game ended :\ The pacing throughout the game was great, but then the ending seemed kind of abrupt (at least it didn't drag on like in Unwound Future though). While going through the Factory, I felt like there was still more mystery to uncover and explore, but then it was final boss and done. And it didn't help that the villain was barely introduced. So when is Mask of Miracle gonna get localized? :D

squall23 said:
Well for the record, Layton needs a plot to be playable. Inazuma Eleven and Danball Senki don't need plot to be enjoyable games. I mean, a good plot would be nice, but it's not necessary. Seriously, when you can summon a phoenix using a soccer ball and leg power, the term "plot" is literally thrown out the window.
honestly if ninokuni for ps3 has a story even half has charming as any of the layton games it might be the game of forever.

duckroll said:
I think that'll be the big reveal at the end of Layton 6. Hino was never behind any of the Layton games at all, it was his twin brother Hiro!
Twin brother you say? That reminds me of a puzzle :p

Kazerei said:
Yay, now there's people to discuss the story/characters with!

To be quite honest ... I was kind of disappointed with the way the game ended :\ The pacing throughout the game was great, but then the ending seemed kind of abrupt (at least it didn't drag on like in Unwound Future though). While going through the Factory, I felt like there was still more mystery to uncover and explore, but then it was final boss and done. And it didn't help that the villain was barely introduced. So when is Mask of Miracle gonna get localized? :D
I don't think it was THAT abrupt, but I definitely agree on unwound future pulling a return of the king at the end with the elongated ending. As for the villain, I think they could have done a tiny but more but I don't think it was too bad. I think they purposely meant to keep it very mysterious and vague so they can extract more from it in a later game (possibly the one that already exists, I wouldn't know since we haven't gotten it *sighhh*)

duckroll

What surprised me the most about the ending was that
unlike the original Layton trilogy, there seems to be a clear setup at the end of Last Specter for a main village in this prequel trilogy. The villain doesn't seem to be a played-for-gags "rival" character either, but a real villain similar to the one in Unwound Future but on a larger scale (spanning across multiple games). It's going to be really interesting to see where this ultimately leads in the final game.

duckroll said:
What surprised me the most about the ending was that
unlike the original Layton trilogy, there seems to be a clear setup at the end of Last Specter for a main village in this prequel trilogy. The villain doesn't seem to be a played-for-gags "rival" character either, but a real villain similar to the one in Unwound Future but on a larger scale (spanning across multiple games). It's going to be really interesting to see where this ultimately leads in the final game.
ahh yeah I dug the personal connection to Layton they briefly teased as well. Definitely more of a set up than the other games. Seems much more interesting than Don Paulo.

duckroll

-Pyromaniac- said:
ahh yeah I dug the personal connection to Layton they briefly teased as well. Definitely more of a set up than the other games. Seems much more interesting than Don Paulo.

I have a very strong feeling that this plot arc is going to have something to do with long lost history of some sort. The villain is looking for ancient civilizations, and they're really playing up Layton's background in archaeology, which is something that wasn't really a focus at all in the previous games.

Come on Nintendo/Level-5, announce Layton 5 already!

I beat the game in like 2-3 days. It's the first one where I didn't thoroughly beat the game in my first playthrough like I did the others. I was just so busy and I really wanted to find out what was gonna happen :(

I will go back for sure though and clean up this time.

duckroll said:
I have a very strong feeling that this plot arc is going to have something to do with long lost history of some sort. The villain is looking for ancient civilizations, and they're really playing up Layton's background in archaeology, which is something that wasn't really a focus at all in the previous games.

Come on Nintendo/Level-5, announce Layton 5 already!
final game will be played
In the old gressenheller days as a young Hershel! Where you uncover the mystery of who the fuck this guy that keeps hounding you in the present time is

Kazerei

Banned
Yeah, I think it would've been better if
Police Chief Jakes was built up as the main villain of the game, only to discover that Descole is the one pulling the strings behind the scenes. But Jakes wasn't even introduced until chapter 7. The lack of strong villain is a definitely my biggest criticism of this game. Even with a trilogy, each story needs to stand well on its own. But at least they set things up for Eternal Diva and Mask of Miracle.

So I'm about to watch Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva. It's a movie that's supposed to be a direct sequel to Last Specter. Mmmmyeah.

Kazerei

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
Do we have to actually watch that? Is it available in english? Will it be recapped in Miracle?

I don't think it will be recapped in Mask of Miracle. It seems to be a separate plot, but it'll provide more backstory on various characters
namely Descole

Edit, but beaten: It looks like Eternal Diva will be released in North America in a few weeks. Amazon.com and Amazon.ca both have it.

duckroll

I sure hope Viz is keeping the same voice cast and recording studio/voice director for the movie. It just wouldn't be the same otherwise.

Oxx

I'm feeling pretty ill at the moment. Maybe if I watch the Layton Movie right now it will warm the cockles of my heart.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Obligatory LAAAYYYTOOOOOOONNN!!

Ordered but I doubt I will get around to play it for any time soon, unfortunately.

Oxx

Well, I enjoyed the Layton movie. I think it would have made a good storyline for a game, at least.

Is the movie supposed to occur after Game 4? Maybe I should have waited...

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
duckroll said:
It's available in English on DVD and Blu-ray.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003PHT5WO/

So it's on BluRay in the UK? Decisions decisions. My PS3 won't play UK BluRays, does anyone know how expensive a UK Blu Ray player is?

Also (ending spoilers)
am I the only one who teared up a bit at the death of Loosha? (sp?) He fought that fucking mech like a boss I tell ya! ^^ And I agree with Duckroll in that I really like how they're setting up Descole as a much more serious recurring villain unlike Don Paolo who was just comic relief (though he was great in Unwound Future).

Kazerei

Banned
RurouniZel said:
So it's on BluRay in the UK? Decisions decisions. My PS3 won't play UK BluRays, does anyone know how expensive a UK Blu Ray player is?

Also (ending spoilers)
am I the only one who teared up a bit at the death of Loosha? (sp?) He fought that fucking mech like a boss I tell ya! ^^ And I agree with Duckroll in that I really like how they're setting up Descole as a much more serious recurring villain unlike Don Paolo who was just comic relief (though he was great in Unwound Future).

Yeah, I teared up too :'(

I finally got around to watching Eternal Diva, and it was quite good. There were just a few puzzles, but lots of action to make up for it. Animation and voices were great, exactly what I expected.

So there's an intended order to the second trilogy, but it's definitely possible to skip one or play them out of order, just like with the first trilogy. Some of the minor characters re-appear in later stories, but the story is still understandable without them.

I'm pretty bummed that Viz is only releasing the Japanese dub on DVD. The UK dub would've made way more sense :\

Anyways, probably the best way to play the blu-ray is to buy a BD-ROM drive for your PC (it's easy to bypass the region lock with software), or buy one of those sketchy region-free BD players, or try modding the BD player you already have.

GSR

Finished the story (still have about 70 puzzles to go counting bonus ones). The idea of a
"final boss"
for the game worked surprisingly well, though the music played a big part in that. I agree the ending felt a little abrupt, and I wish
they'd used Descole a bit more, even though he's clearly being set up as the villain of the prequel trilogy.
I imagine Mask of Miracle goes into that a bit more, since (sort of MoM spoilers, it was in all the advertising)
part of the game is played as Layton while he's still in college, where I'm guessing some hints about Descole are likely to be dropped.

And though I hate to say it, I'm betting Mask of Miracle will follow the usual Layton pattern and we'll see a reannouncement at next year's E3 (it actually was shown off in English at E3 2010, but it was pretty clearly a mockup) followed by a fall release.

Cheska

YAY!! Nabbed the very last copy at my Toys R Us today :)

Around how long has it taken you guys to complete the main game?

Top Bottom