• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Garibaldi

Do the AI road cars ever pit if the weather changes? Or for that matter do tyres actually matter in the road cars?

I've just picked this back up and fancied a simple tussle with the ROAD class cars. 15 lap race at Monza. Starting off bright and Sunny, changing to thunderstorms throughout.

My pit crew recommend I come in for wets after I've managed to gain about a 10 second lead. I pit in and come out in 4th place. Ah fine, I figure the AI will pit soon or be easy to pass because they'll be on poor tyres. Yeah no. They continued around at basically the same lap times as before. I was mildly miffed to say the least.

Juicy Bob

Is there any downside to skipping invitational events in career mode?

I've just graduated to Superkarts in season two, but while I enjoyed the Caterham invitational series, I don't particularly fancy doing any more tin-top races this season and just want to concentrate on Superkarts.

danowat

Banned
Do the AI road cars ever pit if the weather changes? Or for that matter do tyres actually matter in the road cars?

I've just picked this back up and fancied a simple tussle with the ROAD class cars. 15 lap race at Monza. Starting off bright and Sunny, changing to thunderstorms throughout.

My pit crew recommend I come in for wets after I've managed to gain about a 10 second lead. I pit in and come out in 4th place. Ah fine, I figure the AI will pit soon or be easy to pass because they'll be on poor tyres. Yeah no. They continued around at basically the same lap times as before. I was mildly miffed to say the least.

Which road cars?, some, like the faster ones, have a few different compounds (summer tyres and the like), but I don't think there are "wets" per say, so I'd be unlikely to pit in rain in a road car as they don't have slicks.

Is there any downside to skipping invitational events in career mode?

I've just graduated to Superkarts in season two, but while I enjoyed the Caterham invitational series, I don't particularly fancy doing any more tin-top races this season and just want to concentrate on Superkarts.

Only downside is that you can miss out on getting endorsements, as they are tied to winning invitationals, but they do nothing more than fill requirements for trophies / achievements, so if you aren't worried about them, no, there is no downside.

Juicy Bob

Only downside is that you can miss out on getting endorsements, as they are tied to winning invitationals, but they do nothing more than fill requirements for trophies / achievements, so if you aren't worried about them, no, there is no downside.
Makes sense. Cheers!

I'm enjoying this game so far.

Garibaldi

Which road cars?, some, like the faster ones, have a few different compounds (summer tyres and the like), but I don't think there are "wets" per say, so I'd be unlikely to pit in rain in a road car as they don't have slicks.

I was in an Evo X FQ400. The rest of the field were the same class so I'm assuming a mixture of Evos, Foci RS, Lagunas etc. It makes sense when I think about it that they probably don't run slicks if they are a pure match for the road going versions and if I'm honest I should have realised that myself when I didn't notice much performance difference once it started raining. My pit crew need educating on tyre availability though.

Juicy Bob

Formula B car has two slick tyre options, Yiro and Faretti, nowhere in the game does it tell you anything about each tyre.

One is grippy and wears quickly, one isn't, which one is it..........you decide.........
So, I got to test this out at Barcelona today in practice, and you're absolutely right. The two tyres are completely different.

Rather than being compounds, they are actually two properly different tyres. One warms up really quickly and is up to grip in a lap or so, but can overheat really easily and you actually have to manage them if you want them to last a stint. You can see on the live telemetry feed how quickly they overheat and with Barcelona's long Turn 3 giving the front-left all sorts of grief, it started overheating by my second timed lap.

The other type of slick tyre is dead slow to heat up and gives you zero grip out of the pits and it genuinely is literally like driving on ice - especially in high-speed corners where you can feel the tyres giving way. But once they warm up after a few laps, you can lean on them a lot more than you can with the other tyre and push that way.

But the best thing is that I can actually feel the difference even on a DS4. I've played so many F1 games that talk about having to warm your tyres up first but you can just drive them normally out of the pits and they don't really lack any grip like they're supposed to but with this game you can actually feel it and it's glorious.

Momentary

Banned
Are replays jumpy for anyone else on PC? Game runs around 80fps during gameplay, but replays are horrendous. It's not so much gameplay as them being kind of glitchy and jumpy... which in tern causes the framerate to fluctuate. Is this a known issue?

Mascot

I'm starting to wonder if there was a late problem with patch 3.0. It was reportedly submitted five days ago but we still haven't seen any release notes. Mmm... maybe it got delayed.

danowat

Banned
I'm starting to wonder if there was a late problem with patch 3.0. It was reportedly submitted five days ago but we still haven't seen any release notes. Mmm... maybe it got delayed.

If it was submitted, they would know the final patch notes, so the reason they haven't released them could be (another) licensing issue, or like you say, a problem was found with the patch and it's been punted back to SMS.

Mascot

If it was submitted, they would know the final patch notes, so the reason they haven't released them could be (another) licensing issue, or like you say, a problem was found with the patch and it's been punted back to SMS.

...or a last-minute problem was found internally prior to submission, and it hasn't actually been submitted yet. The last patch got kicked back pretty quickly so maybe SMS are actually checking this one first.

Jilt

Are replays jumpy for anyone else on PC? Game runs around 80fps during gameplay, but replays are horrendous. It's not so much gameplay as them being kind of glitchy and jumpy... which in tern causes the framerate to fluctuate. Is this a known issue?

Same here. FPS ingame are good, but on replays it tends to jump from time to time.

danowat

Banned
Replays are generally horrible, they don't represent the game very well, infact, it almost looks like a different game in replays sometimes.

Mascot

Yeah, the stuttering replays are annoying. I'm sure I read a while ago that the issue had been identified and was going to be patched, but I might be thinking of a different issue. There's a few to choose from.

More annoying for me is the momentary hitch when a player enters or leaves an online qualifying session. It always bloody happens just when I'm lining up an apex on a fast lap.

Jilt

Yeah, the stuttering replays are annoying. I'm sure I read a while ago that the issue had been identified and was going to be patched, but I might be thinking of a different issue. There's a few to choose from.

More annoying for me is the momentary hitch when a player enters or leaves an online qualifying session. It always bloody happens just when I'm lining up an apex on a fast lap.

True, this happens in R3E aswell. Do you play on PS4 or PC. Me PC.

kie25

Its a 58.0wr on X1, i got a 58,4 i think, track suits a wheel so much, will give ur set up a try mate.Good stuff , i was using 5/4 FR aero

It's on ps4 mate ;) but it would be easy to get 57 probably as it was only my 5th lap or summit I may try again to beat xbox lap then ;) 58.0 shouldn't be hard though :)

kie25

Don't talk to me about that, probably the most annoying thing I've ever experienced in the game it's why private lobbies are good. The amount laps it's ruined is a piss take.

steveovig

I'm sorta interested in this game but I'm on the fence. I didn't like Driveclub at all but I do like Forza and Gran Turismo, do you guys think I'll like this? Does this have difficulty levels, like in Forza, and does it have those driving arrows to help me out?

danowat

Banned
I'm sorta interested in this game but I'm on the fence. I didn't like Driveclub at all but I do like Forza and Gran Turismo, do you guys think I'll like this? Does this have difficulty levels, like in Forza, and does it have those driving arrows to help me out?

You'll probably like it, as long as you can oversee some of the issues, the core of the game is great.

As for difficulty levels, you have assists and AI levers to alter, and I believe you can have turn arrows turned on also.

Jilt

You'll love it!

Mascot

SMS won't confirm whether the patch has been submitted for certification in case there's an issue, which kind of confirms that it has. I'm guessing that's why no patch notes have been released yet. I think.

danowat

Banned
SMS won't confirm whether the patch has been submitted for certification in case there's an issue, which kind of confirms that it has. I'm guessing that's why no patch notes have been released yet. I think.

It's exciting ain't it, I love a good cliffhanger, doof doof doof doof

Pachimari

Is Project CARS the best racing game on PC?
Because I'm thinking of building a setup with a G29 and a Vive headset early next year, but I want great simulation racers.

I already got Assetto Corsa, but is looking into DiRT Rally and Project CARS.

Juicy Bob

Oh my God, this game.

This is motorsport nirvana.

Doing laps in a Formula 3 car around Monaco at midnight with all the scenery illuminated by lights and only street lamps to help me see the track. All with stunning graphical quality and a silky smooth frame rate.

I am in love.

fresquito

Is Project CARS the best racing game on PC?
Because I'm thinking of building a setup with a G29 and a Vive headset early next year, but I want great simulation racers.

I already got Assetto Corsa, but is looking into DiRT Rally and Project CARS.
Depends on what you're looking for. I don't think there's a superior game, per se.

Project CARS is in some ways the most ambitious approach you can find. It has some shortcomings, specially related to the UI and HUD, there's also some inconsistencies in some aspects of the game, and a good handful of bugs and minor problems, but often people tend to focus too much on what the game doesn't do well instead of in the many things that the game does awesomely, or even pretty good, while other games in the genre just don't even try.

xrnzaaas

Is there a way to control when the AI driver is supposed to pit in the endurance races? I was just doing a (shorter) Le Mans 24 Hours and the computer driver entered the pits when his tyres were still ok and when he had fuel for at least two-three more laps.

danowat

Banned
Is there a way to control when the AI driver is supposed to pit in the endurance races? I was just doing a (shorter) Le Mans 24 Hours and the computer driver entered the pits when his tyres were still ok and when he had fuel for at least two-three more laps.

I don't think there is.

So on mandatory pit races I swear the AI is pitting at the end of the last lap and not getting disqualified. I noticed this on my last 2 races where I had old position, and didn't pit until the second to last lap. I don't see how I could have been passed unless they just never pit.

DD

So on mandatory pit races I swear the AI is pitting at the end of the last lap and not getting disqualified. I noticed this on my last 2 races where I had old position, and didn't pit until the second to last lap. I don't see how I could have been passed unless they just never pit.

This happened to me once. :p

Blizzard

Banned
Make sure to check the forum for announcements as they get closer to paying members returns on the game. It looks like the old forum is becoming read-only too, and there will be a new forum for World of Mass Development announcements/discussion.

Pachimari

Depends on what you're looking for. I don't think there's a superior game, per se.

Project CARS is in some ways the most ambitious approach you can find. It has some shortcomings, specially related to the UI and HUD, there's also some inconsistencies in some aspects of the game, and a good handful of bugs and minor problems, but often people tend to focus too much on what the game doesn't do well instead of in the many things that the game does awesomely, or even pretty good, while other games in the genre just don't even try.

I think I'm gonna get it when I get my G29, but does it work great with the Logitech wheels with nice force feedback? And have they mentioned VR support?

brentech

Picked the wrong course doing Watkins Glen GP, but took the Caper Stock cars there.
The AI struggled to get out of the esses alive, at least one hitting the wall each replay pass.
Personally, I was just trying to keep from sliding off the track...and it was only 3 laps.

https://youtu.be/h_SP4BCT3U8

fresquito

I think I'm gonna get it when I get my G29, but does it work great with the Logitech wheels with nice force feedback? And have they mentioned VR support?
I have a G27 and no problems so far. There's a lot of things that can be tweaked (removing the deadzone is a must!), so if you don't like default, you can probably find something to your liking.

In my opinion the FFB is pretty good. It has a realistic approach, meaning you will not be feeling EVERYTHING in the road through your wheel. Some people don't like such approach. I do. I chuckle everytime I see people complaining about being unable to feel the four tires through their wheel.

Pachimari

I have a G27 and no problems so far. There's a lot of things that can be tweaked (removing the deadzone is a must!), so if you don't like default, you can probably find something to your liking.

In my opinion the FFB is pretty good. It has a realistic approach, meaning you will not be feeling EVERYTHING in the road through your wheel. Some people don't like such approach. I do. I chuckle everytime I see people complaining about being unable to feel the four tires through their wheel.
This sounds really good, can't wait to try it out!

Proud T500RS owner here and I can say that pCARS FFB is almost as good as GSCE, IMHO.
What is GSCE though?

Top Bottom