• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Mascot

I have to cycle through my HUD *every single* non-continuous session. It just refuses to save what I change it to.

The whole settings saving thing is a huge issue in general. I genuinely dont understand the whole tuning, setup and saving shit this game has. You get like several different menu options, you can save shit, sometimes it carries over, sometimes it doesn't, I just dont fucking get it. And god help you if it you experience mixed conditions and want to change things.

I honestly have no fucking clue how the whole setup and pit menus and everything work. I get by on a case-by-case basis, but it'd be *really* nice if I could actually save things properly and have some default options that dont seem to bafflingly reset all the time.

Yeah, all of this shit is a constant source of annoyance in pCARS. Even things like having to go all the way back into your garage to re-select the car you are already fucking sitting in just to change the livery, then probably having to wait for the car to s-l-o-w-l-y rotate to a position that actually lets you see the fucking livery... it's completely maddening. It's anti-intuitive and defies all logic. It's like the menus and UI have been designed by a fucking first-time idiot with absolutely no concept about how they will be used. In places they couldn't be more obtuse if they tried. It's crazy, because SMS have a solid pedigree in racing games so it's not like any of this should be a surprise to them. I'd love to be a fly on the wall during the internal development meetings where all of this shit was demonstrated, approved and signed off. They must have all been off their tits on heroin.

The core driving experience in pCARS is an absolute blast but dealing with the quirks and constantly fighting the logic of the menus really does take the gloss off.

kie25

Has anyone here had issues with their T300rs wheel breaking with Pcars? Mine is on the way from Amazon, and I'm starting to worry after reading some of the posts on the Pcars forum.

My friend bought a t300 other week it's already broke, my t500 has broke twice in 8months compare this to my g25 that lasted 3 years before it finally gave up and my g27 that was perfect from day 1. I really like my t500 but I'm sure it will be back at thrustmaster a few times in the next year, it's not the games though I just think thrustmaster wheels ain't as reliable as the G27 etc

kie25

Yeah, all of this shit is a constant source of annoyance in pCARS. Even things like having to go all the way back into your garage to re-select the car you are already fucking sitting in just to change the livery, then probably having to wait for the car to s-l-o-w-l-y rotate to a position that actually lets you see the fucking livery... it's completely maddening. It's anti-intuitive and defies all logic. It's like the menus and UI have been designed by a fucking first-time idiot with absolutely no concept about how they will be used. In places they couldn't be more obtuse if they tried. It's crazy, because SMS have a solid pedigree in racing games so it's not like any of this should be a surprise to them. I'd love to be a fly on the wall during the internal development meetings where all of this shit was demonstrated, approved and signed off. They must have all been off their tits on heroin.

The core driving experience in pCARS is an absolute blast but dealing with the quirks and constantly fighting the logic of the menus really does take the gloss off.

I have to agree some the menu logic is daft, I remember the 1st time I played it and paused it out on track to change my wheel settings and field of view options to find you can't on PS4 you have to back out into the actual options menu, totally stupid, for a game that relies so much on finding settings your comfortable with it's stupid, the liveries don't even save for me I choose the livery I like and go into a race to have a totally different one on my car? Odd time it works, if they get the menu system sorted and have a proper setup saving option so we can save dry setups and wet setups for each car-track etc then the game will be amazing as the driving is still the best I've played the cars really give you a great feeling especially the older cars. Still my favourite racer I've played though despite the bugs and stupid decisions. Project cars 2 has massive potential lets hope they listen to everyone.

My friend bought a t300 other week it's already broke, my t500 has broke twice in 8months compare this to my g25 that lasted 3 years before it finally gave up and my g27 that was perfect from day 1. I really like my t500 but I'm sure it will be back at thrustmaster a few times in the next year, it's not the games though I just think thrustmaster wheels ain't as reliable as the G27 etc

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad that I ordered it through Amazon. I'm going to put it through its paces during the return period and see if I should keep it or not.

xrnzaaas

LMP1 + Monaco = madness.

I sensed in the qualifying there was something wrong...

Q1CvbC.jpg

And the race was pure chaos :D I made it to the finish by crashing into other cars at low speed to move them, because the game allowed me to ghost past them only on lap1.

wY9qUa.jpg

X0lrq7.jpg

Whose idea was it to allow big LMP cars on this track?

Juicy Bob

Be honest with me: is this game really that buggy?

I want to pick this up for PS4 as racing is my number one passion. I don't have the money, time or patience to mess around with the PC racing scene these days and just want a proper motorsport game that will really immerse me and get me in that trance when you're deep into a stint in a race and slowly chipping away at the gap to the car ahead.

Or a game that will give me that feeling of being a professional racing driver competing in a genuine racing series, not just doing time trials against robotic AI.

I know this game isn't "broken" or "unplayable" because I've seen plenty of videos and read race reports to know that it isn't so I'm going to ignore those hyperbolic criticisms, but would you say it's worth dropping full price for it as it stands right now?

danowat

Banned
Buggy, yes? Worth full price, imo, yes.

The bugs, while frustrating, can be worked around, and can't, for me at least, take away just how stellar the racing in.

Some races are just breath taking, Atom V8 race in the wet on Snetterton, and a sunset formula C race on Monza stick in my mind.

DD

The bugs, while frustrating, can be worked around

Well, not always. Sometimes I have to close the game and redo a race, for example. This game is a fuckin' mess on every level, and because of that, it doesn't deserve the full price IMO. But if you're desperate for something to play on your PS4, go grab it. It will provide you a lot of fun, but expect frustration.

xrnzaaas

It's not so bad imo. Yeah, there are still a lot of annoying little things, but most of the major issues (like wet races) were addressed in patch 2.0. It's not like the F1 games from Codemasters where you're left with a big mess because the studio is already focused on the next year's edition.

fresquito

In my opinion it is very much worth it, specially if you're a console gamer. There're little problems that you either learn to deal with them or they might eat your morale. Once I'm behind the wheel, I easily forget about all these little things because the game is so much fun.

Exactly. Knowing designers and designing jobs in general, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case.

You feel that the person who did it had no understanding whatsoever of the game, its features and what a racing game player would want to see and find easily.

I invested so much time into this game that I'm starting to like its UI wonkiness =)

LMP1 + Monaco = madness.

I sensed in the qualifying there was something wrong...

Q1CvbC.jpg

And the race was pure chaos :D I made it to the finish by crashing into other cars at low speed to move them, because the game allowed me to ghost past them only on lap1.

wY9qUa.jpg

X0lrq7.jpg

Whose idea was it to allow big LMP cars on this track?

Wait until you try the season finale at Bathurst. It's as painful as it gets.

Mascot

In my opinion it is very much worth it, specially if you're a console gamer. There're little problems that you either learn to deal with them or they might eat your morale. Once I'm behind the wheel, I easily forget about all these little things because the game is so much fun.

100% agree. The racing is awesome. Best I've ever experienced.

danowat

Banned
Wet races, they are actually pretty great now the AI aren't completely OP, I'll put my hands up and say that I am (was) not the greatest fan of wet races in racing games, but I might have turned......

Was doing a Ginetta G50 sprint race (9 laps) at Silverstone, 5 laps in, and it started to rain lightly, so I stuck with it, slicks still ok, AI decided to do the same.

2 laps go by, and now the surface is getting slick, like driving on glass, have the field decide to pit (lap 7), I decide, like the rest of the field, to tough it out, still maintaining the gap to 2nd.

Lap 8 and I am now really struggling, understeer and oversteer all in one, P2 is starting to catch up, so I think, its the rest of the field likely to pit?, or will they tough it out?...........I decide it's too risky and pit on lap 8, 5 AI's decide to stay out.

Out of the pits and the grip from the wets is a welcome change, I push on and try to catch P5, I can see him in the distance slipping and sliding about on his slicks, but he is just too far ahead....

Should have probably stayed on slicks, but it was a lot of fun none the less!

Two of the most amazing racing in games that I had were in wet conditions in pCARS.

Formula C at Zolder and GT3 at Watkins Glen (thunderstorm on this one).

And I'm pretty much useless in wet conditions. The strategies, the handling, the feeling of the poor visibility and lack of grip were trully fantastic. I've enjoyed so much because pCARS makes wet racing challenging, but it's accessible.

What I'm not a great fan is the scripted way that those things happen. Seems to me that they tried to use every race as a showcase of the time of the day and weather shifts, which eventually gets in the way of the racing.

Recently, I had an almost night time race with the classic Lotus 86 invitational (Sakkito, I believe), cars which, you know, don't have headlamps. While I was doing it I couldn't help but wonder why? Why there is so much rain and dark races in the career?

----

Some awesome leaked news:

ts040-jpg.412986

Can't wait to destroy those Toyotas with the R18 e-tron around La Sarthe.

danowat

Banned
I didn't know that =/

But nobody disavowed this at GTPlanet, and there are some very active WMD members over there.

There was a post on the PCars forum, and they just looked badly faked, as both pictures had different fonts etc.

Maybe they weren't then, IDK!

Another example of a piss poor UI.

Formula B car has two slick tyre options, Yiro and Faretti, nowhere in the game does it tell you anything about each tyre.

One is grippy and wears quickly, one isn't, which one is it..........you decide.........

There was a post on the PCars forum, and they just looked badly faked, as both pictures had different fonts etc.

Maybe they weren't then, IDK!

Another example of a piss poor UI.

Formula B car has two slick tyre options, Yiro and Faretti, nowhere in the game does it tell you anything about each tyre.

One is grippy and wears quickly, one isn't, which one is it..........you decide.........

Jesus Christ, I had almost 300 hours in the game and I didn't know that.

And my second career is all about open wheelers.

But those two aren't supposed to be like different brands? I think the performance should be affected more by the compound, not too much by the manufacturer.

xrnzaaas

I just finished the Lotus 49 championship and it was tough as hell. I had to master feathering the throttle and it was extremely hard to move in traffic because the AI tends to bump into you and in a lot cases this means the end of your race (landing upside down, damaging suspension etc.).

danowat

Banned
But those two aren't supposed to be like different brands? I think the performance should be affected more by the compound, not too much by the manufacturer.

Some feedback from the PCars forum

The names aren't based on any real tyre as far as i remember them talking about it in WMD.
I think the Yiro is based on GP2 tyre data and then modified to the Faretti ( not 100% sure ).
Faretti was created by Casey and Yiro by AJ the tyre model guru i think.
Should be equal in performance but balance is 'friendlier' on the Faretti.
Some aliens might like the Yiro. Think back to 2 tyre manufacturers at F1, that's the idea.
The tyres are differently build so Yiro might simply just like a different setup and heat differently.

Hey guys, really looking forwards to buying this game next time it's on sale, quick questions:

Tuning, do you have details such as tire temperature inside/mid/outside?

Can I, at any time, drive any car on any track? Or am I limited to the story progression?

How is the AI? Does it race clean? Does it pose a decent challenge without being an alien? Are there a lot of difficulty options, or does the AI adapt itself to you?

danowat

Banned
Tuning, do you have details such as tire temperature inside/mid/outside?

Yes, via the telemetry screen

Can I, at any time, drive any car on any track? Or am I limited to the story progression?

Absolutely everything is open at the start, nothing is gated at all.

How is the AI? Does it race clean? Does it pose a decent challenge without being an alien? Are there a lot of difficulty options, or does the AI adapt itself to you?

It's a mixed bag, sometimes its good, other times it's not, depending on the car and track, if you are on the console only has half the skill levels (PC is 0-100 in 1% steps), 0-100 in 5% (6?) steps, some combinations are easy to beat on 100%, others are very difficult.

It doesn't adapt, it's a fixed skill level, and it's not "set and forget", you need to adjust it to get decent racing depending on the combo you are racing.

Hedrush

Ok wtf has just happened to my game. I was well into my career mode and I was running a practice session on Sonomo raceway national. I was in the pits doing some tinkering when my game crashed. Not a problem I thought, filled in the crash report and sent it to sony. I then loaded up my game to find my save data wasnt there. Done a reboot, still the same. It's starting me off fresh like I've just put the game in for the first time, ie choose difficulty etc. I checked my application save data and there's nothing there except a handful of my saved replays.

I so want to like this game but its starting to get right on my tits now. I can put up with the odd crash, or the odd glitch but to lose all my career history is beyond a fucking a joke.

Has this happened to anyone else?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Also force feedback on x1 v2.0 is waaaay different (thrustmaster tx). It's super strong and constant tension on the wheel, I'm afraid it's going to damage it under extended play. I'm a bit confused by the config screen though and while I've changed things that decrease the feedback they also seem to destroy the driveability. Anyone have some suggestions?

I fucking hate that the game is still in a state at which its this fucked without PC level tweaking of settings. This is why I console game.

Mascot

Also force feedback on x1 v2.0 is waaaay different (thrustmaster tx). It's super strong and constant tension on the wheel, I'm afraid it's going to damage it under extended play. I'm a bit confused by the config screen though and while I've changed things that decrease the feedback they also seem to destroy the driveability. Anyone have some suggestions?

I fucking hate that the game is still in a state at which its this fucked without PC level tweaking of settings. This is why I console game.
Try reducing tyre force? It's like a catch-all.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I tried tyre force but that seemed to really change a lot more than just feedback. I suppose it could be the car I used and not being as used to it.

Mascot

I tried tyre force but that seemed to really change a lot more than just feedback. I suppose it could be the car I used and not being as used to it.

I inputted Jack Spade's individual tweaker values for every vehicle and am pretty happy with the general FFB since. Have you tried those? Maybe try them for a car you know and like and then roll them out to others if you're happy?

danowat

Banned
Update about the different tyres on the Formula B.

For me, with a pad, the Faretti is not only nearly 2s a lap quicker it's also driveable.

The Yiro is very snappy, which makes it for me, bordering on undrivable.

This is a big issue, as it appears there is no way to get Faretti tyres in a pitstop and it will but Yiros on no matter which compound I choose.

This UI.......man......smh

Mascot

Lol, the fucking moderators on the official forums... they really don't do the game any favours with their sycophantic attitude. It seems half of them are in denial that there's anything wrong with the game, and the other half act like we should be happy that we are still waiting for fixes several months later. Moderators on the official Forza forums gave me a similarly sour taste. Why do they let power go to their heads?

danowat

Banned
Lol, the fucking moderators on the official forums... they really don't do the game any favours with their sycophantic attitude. It seems half of them are in denial that there's anything wrong with the game, and the other half act like we should be happy that we are still waiting for fixes several months later. Moderators on the official Forza forums gave me a similarly sour taste. Why do they let power go to their heads?

Anything prompted it in particular?, or just a general observation?

They certainly don't like anything negative........

lalalala-listening.jpg

Mascot

Anything prompted it in particular?, or just a general observation?

They certainly don't like anything negative........

Just generally. There are a couple that are helpful but so many of them just answer abruptly with sarcasm or arrogance. It's sad, because the pCARS forum is needed to provide solid information that is inadequately explained in-game, but there's an underlying atmosphere of hostility there that some of the moderators seem to encourage. What's even worse are the users who suck up to the mods. Even simple requests like having the option to map external car noise to any camera view bring elitist asswipes out of the woodwork snootily stating that it wouldn't be 'realistic'. It's a fucking game, for Christ's sake. Is crashing a car into a wall at 180mph and driving away realistic?

danowat

Banned
I think that, with a game with as many, lets call them issues, can't really afford to have a forum / interaction as hostile as it can be over there.

Update about the different tyres on the Formula B.

For me, with a pad, the Faretti is not only nearly 2s a lap quicker it's also driveable.

The Yiro is very snappy, which makes it for me, bordering on undrivable.

This is a big issue, as it appears there is no way to get Faretti tyres in a pitstop and it will but Yiros on no matter which compound I choose.

This UI.......man......smh

The thing is all wrong. Firstly because lesser formula series rarely have two brands of tyres to begin with. Secondly, if they have, the tyres must conform to similar specifications, which isn't the case here.

More to the point, you shouldn't be able to start a race with the Pirellis look alike and then go to the Yokohamas (Faretti e Yiro) because this is not how motorsport works. What you should be able to do is change from hards to softs, for instance.

There are two wrongs going on: the way the game handles tyre manufacturer choices with the disgraceful UI, which shouldn't let you change brands and should give you more information about the compounds.

And the other thing is that the tyres have waaaaaay different performances in a series made to put young drivers out with the most balanced technical package as possible.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I think that, with a game with as many, lets call them issues, can't really afford to have a forum / interaction as hostile as it can be over there.

Yeah, the bugs in game and the assholishness over there from the mods and studio head Ian Bell really soured me on the game. I haven't played it in a month as I can't deal with my car FFB settings going back to default randomly still after a couple of patches on PS4.

I'm just going to sell it before the value completely tanks and go back to Driveclub while waiting for GT7. It's a bit too sim for my liking anyway.

danowat

Banned
The thing is all wrong. Firstly because lesser formula series rarely have two brands of tyres to begin with. Secondly, if they have, the tyres must conform to similar specifications, which isn't the case here.

More to the point, you shouldn't be able to start a race with the Pirellis look alike and then go to the Yokohamas (Faretti e Yiro) because this is not how motorsport works. What you should be able to do is change from hards to softs, for instance.

There are two wrongs going on: the way the game handles tyre manufacturer choices with the disgraceful UI, which shouldn't let you change brands and should give you more information about the compounds.

And the other thing is that the tyres have waaaaaay different performances in a series made to put young drivers out with the most balanced technical package as possible.

Yes, I wasn't even touching on the realism issues, just from a general usability angle, but my post has gone all but ignored by anyone with any development input.

It fundamentally makes the Formula B career defunct, for me anyway, considering I struggle to drive on the YIro's, which the game insists on putting on at a pitstop now matter what I do.

The pit issue came about as last night did a 30 lap career race, pitted on lap 20, was doing really well, promptly came out of the pit (on Yiros), got to the first turn and binned it, crept back on the track when an AI decided, instead of driving round me, or even braking, speared me, and took my rear wheel off, race over, not a happy person!

It's a shame that something as important as (not only this tyre issue) the pitstop UI is like it is, I believe fixes are incoming though...........

Yeah, the bugs in game and the assholishness over there from the mods and studio head Ian Bell really soured me on the game. I haven't played it in a month as I can't deal with my car FFB settings going back to default randomly still after a couple of patches on PS4.

I'm just going to sell it before the value completely tanks and go back to Driveclub while waiting for GT7. It's a bit too sim for my liking anyway.

The bones of the driving in PCars is still (regardless of the multitude of issues) head and shoulders above anything else out there, I stuck DC on last night as, new DLC, did one race and had to turn it off, not only was the 30fps thing really distracting, but the driving model was just so, so wrong.......

Jamesways

The bones of the driving in PCars is still (regardless of the multitude of issues) head and shoulders above anything else out there, I stuck DC on last night as, new DLC, did one race and had to turn it off, not only was the 30fps thing really distracting, but the driving model was just so, so wrong.......

Oh I feel exactly the same way! Last night I tried out the new cars, and they're absolutely bonkers. Evo sure love concept cars and spaceships. But the same thing always happens, I marvel at the graphics and lighting a bit, can't come to grips with the handling, realize I'm rubbish at it after 5-10 min, and go right back to pCARS and MotoGP.

I just can't stay interested in that. I mean, it's a fine racing game, but I'm just not willing to put in the time to master the handling or learn the nuances of the tracks.
I'd rather be racing with sim handling on real world tracks.

For all the bugs and shit UI in pCARS, I still can't get enough of it.

I came here just to rant some more about the UI.

Doing endurance races you simply can't find your position in the overall standings, only in your class. Which is nice if you are racing in the top class, with a LMP1, because it's easy to deduce your overall position if you are racing in the fastest class.

But in a GT3, lost in the middle of 30 cars? Not so much.

Man, how did this passed years and years of beta testing?

fresquito

I came here just to rant some more about the UI.

Doing endurance races you simply can't find your position in the overall standings, only in your class. Which is nice if you are racing in the top class, with a LMP1, because it's easy to deduce your overall position if you are racing in the fastest class.

But in a GT3, lost in the middle of 30 cars? Not so much.

Man, how did this passed years and years of beta testing?
The guy in charge of the UI was not very good at listening people. We yelled. A LOT.

The guy in charge of the UI was not very good at listening people. We yelled. A LOT.

In this case, you guys need some serious ironing skills to manage pCARS 2.

I got to a point where I'm familiar with every bug, which helps to manage frustration when the game decides to stab me in the back.

But this shoddy designed UI never fails to amaze me.

Mascot

Good news - PS4 bonnet reflections have now been fixed to correctly reflect the environment and car movement (instead of weirdly sliding in from one side), and are also slightly faster and 4x the resolution.

No - great news.

danowat

Banned
Good news - PS4 bonnet reflections have now been fixed to correctly reflect the environment and car movement (instead of weirdly sliding in from one side), and are also slightly faster and 4x the resolution.

No - great news.

Nice to hear they are still fixing things, although I never really noticed that issue, now only the UI, pitstop menu and controller issues to fix..........

Mascot

Nice to hear they are still fixing things, although I never really noticed that issue, now only the UI, pitstop menu and controller issues to fix..........

If you've ever used bonnet cam or roof cam on PS4 then you must have noticed the reflections sliding in from one side rather than reflecting the road ahead..? It's very hard not to see.

this thread

Top Bottom