• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Megasoum

Banned
Thanks, I'll bear that in mind because I currently have a set of CSR Elite pedals. The T3PA-PROs do look really good though, and the vertical pedal setup would work great I think.

Ah well if you like your Elite pedals you could just get a CPX for cheaper than a new set of Thrustmaster pedals.

Ha true! I'm split between the T3PA pedals and the T3PA-PRO, is the pro model really worth the extra £60?

I'll be picking up the TM 28 wheel when that's back in stock too.

I actually got the Pros in last night. Only got about 20 mins in on them but they are pretty serious. I think the biggest difference is the inversion. I don't know the extent of the pedal modifications on the standard kit but the Pros let you adjust pedal travel, angle, and height. Both sets come with the Conical brake mod which is the real standout so I doubt you can go wrong either way.

Skyzard

Banned
Tree shadows look pretty awful. Like way too sharp and the aliasing. Would love PCSS shadows for the soft look so they blend in more naturally. This for afternoon on a clear day. Most of the rest of the graphics look great tbh.

Had to turn down particles to medium and high density to survive fps drops in heavy rain. I would love to have ultra particles which looks so damn good but the fps drops too much when I'm chasing. I've set grass detail to off and track detail down to high.
Also environment map to medium helped and I didn't notice much difference afterwards either. Rest of the settings are pretty max.

ValfarHL

Some cursing and a few restarts fixed my wheel problem.

What driving aids does people use? The P1 without any aid is crazy difficult!

Goldrusher

Reversa Corsa
Completed a Quick Race Weekend lap of Azure Circuit in reverse from cockpit view without collisions
So do you have to unlock the "Azure Circuit in reverse" or am I not fully understanding this trophy?

I Am The 5%
Won an Online Public race using Pro handling, manual gears, and no driving aids, from cockpit view
And what about this one? I'm on Pro handling and already have the trophy, but a friend of mine isn't. Where do you change that?

Azzawon

Ah well if you like your Elite pedals you could just get a CPX for cheaper than a new set of Thrustmaster pedals.

I'm actually considering selling all my Fanatec gear if I'm going down the Thrustmaster route. I currently have a CSR wheel with the shifter set and CSR Elite pedals, the money from them can go towards addons for my TX I suppose.

I actually got the Pros in last night. Only got about 20 mins in on them but they are pretty serious. I think the biggest difference is the inversion. I don't know the extent of the pedal modifications on the standard kit but the Pros let you adjust pedal travel, angle, and height. Both sets come with the Conical brake mod which is the real standout so I doubt you can go wrong either way.

Thanks for the info. I haven't looked into the pedals properly yet but I'll be sure to check out a few reviews on YouTube as well before I put some money down. I've always liked the idea of inverted pedals though so I'm slightly leaning towards the Pros.

nikos

Does anyone know if controllers have been optimized on PS4, or are they the same as using them on PC? I'm assuming the same, since there are so many customization options.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My 360 pad seems to be triggering a left swerve on long straights if I barely even touch it. What can I adjust to reduce that?

Also what setting should I adjust to make the steering generally less sensitive on the straights at speed, so I can adjust position little bit without slaloming along the track?

Megasoum

Banned
My 360 pad seems to be triggering a left swerve on long straights if I barely even touch it. What can I adjust to reduce that?

Also what setting should I adjust to make the steering generally less sensitive on the straights at speed, so I can adjust position little bit without slaloming along the track?

Check if there's a deadzone setting for the left stick.

robatw

If you want to race Karts in career and you're currently running Clio then I think you'll have to start a new career. I don't think you can go backward in the tiers.

wtf is this shit? god damnit man.

I didn't even get an offer for another car. Is that because i finished 12th or something?

nib95

Banned
I'll just re-post this here:

So the lovely guys at Gamersyde just had a PS4 livestream with Andy Tudor:

http://www.twitch.tv/gamersyde/v/4756621

Among many questions they asked whether Logitech wheel support for the PS4 version is possible in the future. (at 49:30)

The answer from Andy: "Our list of supported wheels are not final, please hang in there [laughs]... We have the answer, but we just can't tell it right now".

That's positive, right? :)

Please be good news!

Bradd12

Well, after downloading 10/15gb my Steam download restarted itself. On Australian internet no less.

Has anyone else had this happen?

DarkOneX

Played this on my laptop last night and was surprised at how well it ran, specs are Lenovo Ideapad Y400 - i7-3630QM 2.4Ghz, 8GB DDR3, GeForce GT750M 2GB, Crucial M500 240GB SSD, Seagate 1TB SSHD, Seagate 1TB HDD, 14" HD display (16:9 widescreen) (1366x768), Windows 10

Tried it first at all medium settings and it was running fast and smooth so bumped it up to all high settings and still running nicely though definitely not as fast as it was, I'd have to guess it's closer to 30fps at high for me now than 60 at medium but it's quite fantastic.

_machine

The low performance of the game on AMD graphics card is partially (mostly) driver related.
Look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzFe5OOHZko
Yeah, it's definitely looking like AMD dropped the ball bad on this one, and the weird thing is that for most of the development time it was running pretty well on my 5850/280X. It's certainly not bad at the moment for me and I can easily run settings well above medium, but looking at the benchmarks it's definitely not as good as NVidia side.

I really want to upgrade to a better wheel than the Driving Force GT but I don't want to spend hundreds until I know GT7 will support it. Still tempted to upgrade sooner rather than later given I'm playing this and other games on the PC>

Helznicht

After hours of fiddling with graphics settings (PC), I finally got a smooth framerate (55-65) without any tearing or aliasing in dense races (except for those tree shadows, yikes). Having to quit out for every graphics change is a pain. As I play on a 48" TV and sit very close (~4') to it, aliasing is an issue. The higher end AA methods in game really tanked my FPS in game (20s - 30s on a 970) so I had to settle the basic FXAA and MSAA level 1. But this left quite a bit of shimmering, so I threw in some DSR (x4) with a bit of blending which actually had very minor FPS impact (5-6 fps)t, so lucked out there, and have a nice clean soft realistic image. All effects are on, settings from high to medium. This does mean I will likely be down in the 30s with bad weather, but I cant have that aliasing either, so I will have to settle.

On Camera, there are lots of options, I commend SMS on this aspect, but, I dont really know why the helmut cam positioning options are not broad as the cockpit one. What I mean is in cockpit, I can push the camera all the way to the dash (feels really nice and immersive as I sit 4' from TV). But Helmut cam does not push up nearly as close. I want a dash view, but i want gforce, bobble and look into apex also. So haven't found the sweet spot there yet, maybe I can mess with FOV settings to get it in a bit closer.

I have also run into a bug with the DFGT wheel. In the force feedback settings, if you take things to far from center settings, as soon as you touch the wheel in a race it starts going crazy going full left and full right all by itself. So trying to find the sweet spot on sensitivity and FFB is kinda tricky right now.

I am going to be spending alot of time with this game I can tell, will knock up some screen shots in a bit

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Any impressions with the PS4 version with the Thrustmaster T300rs wheel? Ideal game settings for it?

some more shots

ETub.png

SmokyDave

I have also run into a bug with the DFGT wheel. In the force feedback settings, if you take things to far from center settings, as soon as you touch the wheel in a race it starts going crazy going full left and full right all by itself. So trying to find the sweet spot on sensitivity and FFB is kinda tricky right now.
Ah, tits. I had that issue with my DFGT and GT Legends / rFactor Histor-X mod. Can't remember how I resolved it either. I'll bear that in mind when I'm pissing about with the FFB settings.

_machine

Lykan Hypersport is now up for Steam users too, just about to test it out.

EDIT: It's a lot of fun to drive, plenty of wheelspin out of the line and it's one those cars that you get to wrestle through every corner.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I seem to be missing a lot of invitations. They arrive and they are for a date quite soon - I go to the calendar and it just skips to the next race in my cup.

Cushen

Neo Member
I apologize in advance if this question has been asked 100 times already... but could I create a UK PSN account, download, and then play on my Canadian PSN account now? I have the weekend off and would really like to take advantage of that with some early pCARS.

Qassim

I seem to get weird and significant frame rate drop on the PC version when I go off track. Even when I return to the track and drive far from where I crashed off, the framerate remains low. This doesn't happen *at all* regardless of the location on the track if I don't crash off and framerate remains high.

Has anyone experienced this? I suspect it's a bug the framerate doesn't return to normal even when driving back through parts where the framerate was significantly higher before.

Hands on with XB1 controller (on PC)

I had/have every intention of picking this up on PS4 but the talk was to much so I picked it up on steam so I could get some time in with the game over the weekend and I'm very glad that I did. First thing I did was a day race good conditions in the Mclaren p1 on the Bathurst course. I did that for a couple reasons. Bathurst is the track I know the best from my time in Forza and the P1 is the car from the list I drove the most (I do miss my Veyron but I digress). The first thing I noticed is this ISN'T Forza. If you play this game like Forza you are going to be doing doughnuts in the grass and full 360 spins in corners. I've probably put 600+ laps in Bathurst and my first practice lap in PC I spent more time in the grass than the grounds keeper. I had to stop, and take a breath. It was maybe 5 laps before I really had a good idea of how to stay on the track let alone put in something that resembles a viable time.

A few facts. If you drop the hammer on the throttle you are going to spin out. If you slam on the breaks, you are going to hit a wall. If you are coming out of a corner and you give the car to much gas you are going to spin out. These things might be "Duh" to many of you but to the more casual crowd these are habits you will have to break (but it will make you a better driver)

After 40+ minutes of practice I went to qualifying, that was a mistake. I ended up dead last of the 26 car field. I did fare better in the 3 lap race finishing 4th (I don't know how, I honestly said out loud "Wow I finished 4th).

All in all the game is a blast even with a controller. Would a wheel be better? Absolutely without question. But if you don't have a wheel and only have a controller go for it! The game is hard, its going to kick your teeth in for your first few races but before you know it you are going to have that moment where you are like "Oh I didn't do so bad"

Darin at ISRT has a pretty deep dive into the settings and some game game play on the XB1 version using the thrustmaster TX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb2Xy8ykiac

I was karting mostly up until now and thought it would be a dumb idea to play around with the kart setup, so I never saw the per-car (even per-car-per-track/group-of-tracks) Force Feedback setup Darin shows in the video. Haven't tried it, but setting steering ratio on a per-car basis will probably solve my biggest concern with this game so far.

My second biggest concern are engine-sound hiccups that sound somewhat like idk, digital-noise(?), like a scratched CD when I'm in the high-revs area..., probably happens only when the frame-rate isn't perfectly constant at that moment. Haven't had it a lot, but it sounds scary.

The best experience I had so far was Brands Hatch practice driving 20 laps in a BMW 1M from late evening clear weather into sundown, then light rain, then stormy weather with rain and finally a thunderstorm late in the night with assists set to "real"(I hope that setting is trying to setup the TCS, ESP and ABS like from it's in the real car's sport setup?? Or is it just "newer cars->TCS on, older cars/racing-regulated-cars->TCS off).
Drifting with no rain tires at night on a lonely race track, flash, thunder, raindrops on my windshield getting wiped off and thick streaks of rain visible only in the beams of my headlights. It was glorious, and not just visually. The cars and physics have a great feel to them. I thought I would like Project CARS, but I'm honestly surprised just how much I like it.

Top Bottom