• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Mascot

Warning, chaps - I found a pretty major bug in the PS4 version. It has me completely baffled.

I set up a race on the Catalunya GP circuit, starting at the crack of dawn in light mist. The weather was synchronised with the race, and set to change to clear sun then finish in dense cloud. Time progression was set to 30x, with 25 racers, AI at 70%, and me starting at the back of the grid in a Z4 GT3 with opponents in the same class of vehicles. I was using my Fanatec GT2 with Clubsport pedals, manual gears with paddle shifting, and with 5.1 surround sound and a Buttkicker under my Playseat. The race started without a hitch and continued on to its natural conclusion.

What I don't understand is how this event was probably the most tense, thrilling and awe-inspiring race I've ever take part in across many decades of playing racing games and sims. I normally HATE driving at Catalunya.

Can someone please do me a favour and report this very obvious bug to SMS?

Dominator

This is a sim racer, if you want a racer that handles like DC, then you would want a fantasy/arcade racing game. DC handles nothing like a sim racer. It is a good game for what it is, but PCars is a sim racer and if you want a game that handles like DC, then stay FAR AWAY from this game as it does handle like DC at all.
I know, thats why i said I'm positive it doesn't control like that. I don't dislike sims its just DC was so ace with its controls it'll be hard to switch. It kind of even soured me on Forza and thats an arcade-type racer as well.

I'm still interested but I'll hold off on it. I wish there was a demo though so I could try it lol

Krejlooc

Banned
Finally tried it in vr with my full setup. G27 racing wheel on a wheel stand pro with a dk2.

Fucking incredible. Even on such an outdated display, the visuals are incredible. This is pretty slick, more so than assetto corsa or iracing.

Only downside is you need the rift in extended mode, so you have to navigate the screen using your tv then flip to the rift. I wish this did direct to display and would mirror on the tv. Probably in an update.

Crazy fun. Im trying to get some pics off of a friend's phone.

_machine

Warning, chaps - I found a pretty major bug in the PS4 version. It has me completely baffled.

I set up a race on the Catalunya GP circuit, starting at the crack of dawn in light mist. The weather was synchronised with the race, and set to change to clear sun then finish in dense cloud. Time progression was set to 30x, with 25 racers, AI at 70%, and me starting at the back of the grid in a Z4 GT3 with opponents in the same class of vehicles. I was using my Fanatec GT2 with Clubsport pedals, manual gears with clutch, stick shift, and with 5.1 surround sound and a Buttkicker under my Playseat. The race started without a hitch and continued on to its natural conclusion.

What I don't understand is how this event was probably the most tense, thrilling and awe-inspiring race I've ever take part in across many decades of playing racing games and sims. I normally HATE driving at Catalunya.

Will pass on, cheers.

Loving some of the slightly inside jokes of the career twitter feed and I have to say that keeping my hands off the career mode during the development wasn't a bad idea; I'm absolutely in love with the career structure, though naturally it could use some more "AAA" feel in form of extra race weekend feel, podium animations and whatever. But coming back from GT6 it's simply so much better than anything I've experienced in years.

Finally tried it in vr with my full setup. G27 racing wheel on a wheel stand pro with a dk2.

Fucking incredible. Even on such an outdated display, the visuals are incredible. This is pretty slick, more so than assetto corsa or iracing.

Only downside is you need the rift in extended mode, so you have to navigate the screen using your tv then flip to the rift. I wish this did direct to display and would mirror on the tv. Probably in an update.

Have you tried "-vrdirectmode" in the launch settings? I don't know if it works perfectly, but I believe it should be the preferred version. There are also some other commandline options available, I'll try to dig them for you.

Ugh, based on the Need for Speed Shift physics engine? Somebody please tell me this plays nothing like Shift.
I don't think there's really anything left from the NFS: Shift physics engine anymore, at most I remember some aerodynamics being derived from that, but that as well over a year ago. The tire physics are completely from scratch by a different lead (fun fact though, NFS:S tire physics were made by the same guy that did them for Richard Burns Rally).

No PC performance thread?
I feel like those threads only have legs when the game has noticeable poor qualities. Fwiw I'm running mostly high ultra settings at 1080/60 on a 780ti, 4670k @ 4.6, and 24gb ram
Any impressions with the PS4 version with the Thrustmaster T300rs wheel? Ideal game settings for it?
I have the PC version. I kept everything at default for the wheel but turned up the force feedback. Don't crank it too high like I did at first though, that wheel can be a workout.

xrnzaaas

I set up a race on the Catalunya GP circuit, starting at the crack of dawn in light mist. The weather was synchronised with the race, and set to change to clear sun then finish in dense cloud. Time progression was set to 30x, with 25 racers, AI at 70%, and me starting at the back of the grid in a Z4 GT3 with opponents in the same class of vehicles. I was using my Fanatec GT2 with Clubsport pedals, manual gears with clutch, stick shift, and with 5.1 surround sound and a Buttkicker under my Playseat. The race started without a hitch and continued on to its natural conclusion.

Nice to see I'm not the only one who hates this circuit (especially the chicane at the end ;p). I always tried to minimize the time spent on it in games like F1 or Forza. :)

Goldrusher

Is there any recommendations for PS4 configuration (deadzones, sensitivity etc)?
No, because everyone is different.
You might be very precise with the sticks, but lousy with the triggers. Someone else might use the sticks like a dpad, but be very gentle with the triggers.

Krejlooc

Banned
Have you tried "-vrdirectmode" in the launch settings? I don't know if it works perfectly, but I believe it should be the preferred version. There are also some other commandline options available, I'll try to dig them for you.

No, ive been working and have had company over so I havent fiddled with it too much. I'll try that out later.

I love how it includes a g27 profile, tho

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

Whew, glad to hear this is an option. Extended mode makes things so much more awkward. (I'll be trying it out later)

Mascot

Will pass on, cheers.

:p

In all seriousness:

1. cycling through paints/liveries using the Fanatec GT2 d-pad skips one livery every time. It briefly loads the next one for a split-second then skips to the next-but-one. Hope that makes sense.

2. leaderboard times set with the GT2 show up as being set with a gamepad, not a wheel.

Edit: 3. there are no calibration options for Fanatec wheels & pedals.

_machine

No, ive been working and have had company over so I havent fiddled with it too much. I'll try that out later.

I love how it includes a g27 profile, tho
Right here are some commandline options I found (some might be deprecated for the release though) since you might be interested in testing them:
You can disable dynamic VR predication with the command-line option "-vrnodynp"
at the moment when in direct mode the game is also mirrored to a window on the main monitor - you can disable the mirroring for a few percent of performance using another command-line option "-vrnomirror".
the D1P will allow this mode using a command-line option "-vrdirectmode".

Wish I had access to DK2...

Oh wait, that came out all wrong :D

I posted that (meaning th controller issues and the praise) on WMD though, here's to hoping for a fix :)

So, this game is amazing.

Been playing it non stop for the last 4/5 hours.

Trying it with all assists off, and it's very tough for me but very rewarding nonetheless.

I love how every car feels like a new challenge.

Formula Rookie is a fantastic car btw, grips so nicely.

Megasoum

Banned
The best experience I had so far was Brands Hatch practice driving 20 laps in a BMW 1M from late evening clear weather into sundown, then light rain, then stormy weather with rain and finally a thunderstorm late in the night with assists set to "real"(I hope that setting is trying to setup the TCS, ESP and ABS like from it's in the real car's sport setup?? Or is it just "newer cars->TCS on, older cars/racing-regulated-cars->TCS off).
Drifting with no rain tires at night on a lonely race track, flash, thunder, raindrops on my windshield getting wiped off and thick streaks of rain visible only in the beams of my headlights. It was glorious, and not just visually. The cars and physics have a great feel to them. I thought I would like Project CARS, but I'm honestly surprised just how much I like it.

This reminds me of a story I'm pretty sure I've told on Gaf before.

It was in one of the early builds back in 2012 when they first added Spa (still called Belgian Forest at the time).

I decided to take out the Formula A on Spa in the early hour of the morning (around 6:30-7AM) with just a touch of mist but otherwise clear sky.

I was slowly driving around the track. Not trying to set fast laps or anything... Just a good old sunday morning leasure drive (in a FA lol). The forest was completely silent except for the roar of my engine and its echo bouncing off the mountains. I could see the Sun slowly rising beyond the trees with the God Rays filterning through them.

I'm 100% serious, I had a bit of an epiphany moment. It was one of the most beautiful thing I've experienced. I was borderline emotional. The perfect moment captured in the prettiest way.

This was basically me at the end

epiphany-omg.gif

blado

So the only wheel I have is the logitech gamecube wheel. What would happen if I plugged that in and tried to use it with project cars? :D

Oh, and that Caterham 7 race was absolute hell for me to begin with.

3 hours of trying to get used to the car and the circuit, and I think I could probably mount a decent challenge.

Dobsie

Its just dawned on me ive never updated the firmware on my t500, ive only ever used it on ps3/4,do I need to update it?
Been getting a random bug where the wheel locks at 900 degrees occasionally after races, nothing major as it doesn't affect anything in race. Just a bit of a pain navigating menus when the buttons are all upside down. It returns to centre for the start of the next race.

Is anyone else experiencing a random problem with the 125cc karts, where you turn a corner, try to straighten up, but rather than turning the wheel back to center, the driver sharpens the turn to full lock? Carries on doing that until the vehicle spins and then stops - THEN he releases the wheel to center.

Happening relatively often - once every four or five races. Just took me from 1st to last on the final bend of a race by steering me into a wall. :(

(Xbox One, using controller. I've tried with three different controllers, just in case. Same thing occurs.)

Here's an example. Just happened again.

Example; http://i.imgur.com/skdLSNL.gifv

I turn into the corner, straighten up, and he keeps turning the wheel! Looked at other views, and the wheels all seem to be in contact with the ground. On flat corners it occurs too.

just started playing on PC with a 360 controller. Left all the settings at default for now.

Kart racing starts off badly - hate the first couple of tracks, too bumpy and windy for my liking. But Chesterfield is lovely and flows better.

It's because Glencairn is a horrible place. All the other kart tracks are fun to drive, but the jumps and bumps of this track make the little karts unpredictable and crazy tempered. Also, hitting other karts must be a bug, because it sends you jumping or straight to walls. The collision physics are weird. Driving the karts on regular kart tracks is very good, so it's a mixed bag depending on the situation.

I have to agree that the FFB is pretty weak in this game. I don't get much feeling to the road compared to AC or even GT6.

Something must be wrong in your setup, because i play AC and GT6 and i prefer Project Cars FFB. Try raising the tire force, should make your wheel come alive.

So, I'm guessing not a lot of these cars are supposed to have a full 900 degree steering wheel. Atleast I can't drive for shit with that setting.

I read on another forum that the game automatically adjusts the wheel for each car, but I seem to have 900 degrees in every car, which usually means I crash in every turn..

Can anyone shed som light on this?

Yep, i tried 900 and it worked shit for me. I left at 540 (G25) and it's much better. I just wanted 1:1 animation with the car, but i still can't. At least 540 works great to play it. Race cars don't use anywhere close to 900, so that's why you're having problems.

If you're really sensitive and spend a lot of time on formulas 270 might be the way to go.

_machine

Yep, i tried 900 and it worked shit for me. I left at 540 (G25) and it's much better. I just wanted 1:1 animation with the car, but i still can't. At least 540 works great to play it. Race cars don't use anywhere close to 900, so that's why you're having problems.

If you're really sensitive and spend a lot of time on formulas 270 might be the way to go.
That sound weird since I was under the assumption that by default the game would handle the correct steering locks by default and the animation would be 1:1. That also how it worked nearly a year ago when I had a G25 for loan, but I'm really not up to date on the matter.

EDIT: See Arucardo's answer below, might be just a lack of in-game wheel calibration :)

Lurch666

Just tried -vrdirectmode again and still no go.

Did also try using my nvidia 3d vision setup and while it's not perfect with some stuff not rendering properly I found out if you turn the rain on it covers up a lot of graphical glitches.
3d vision is not as good as the DK2 but at least the game looks better and it's worth a try of you have the setup.

DagsJT

Oh dear. Racing a Palmer Jaguar JP-LM at Oulton Park Fosters at the current time of day (7:40pm over here) is ridiculously jerky. Also one of the US tracks in a desert at the current time was pretty poor too.

After more races, the judder and stutter is reallu noticeable at times. Really could do with optimising a bit, even if it means lowering some graphic options or something.

Xbox One, by the way.

Arucardo

Wait, this sounds like you and the person you quoted haven't calibrated your wheels?

Leave your wheel at 900 or whatever the maximum rotation is and there's a selection under the wheel when choosing the preset to calibrate your wheel and another to calibrate pedals. When you do that and the game knows the correct rotation for your wheel it automatically has the right steering for all the cars (and matches the movement in-game to how much your turning your wheel), aka. open wheel cars are really sensitive, street cars have much more steering range and so on.

Not 100% sure how it's in the console versions though, I'd imagine it's the same or at least that it has the calibration part. Also, you only need to do it once unless you change the wheel rotation in the wheel drivers.

Staab, if you happen to see this post it wouldn't hurt to add a mention about wheel calibration (it even effects the ffb and such) under the steeringwheels part. Other than that, great work on the OT. :)

JP

Well, that's not a good sign. First lap of my first race (karts) and the game crashes and I'm kicked out. anybody else had issues with the PS4 version?

Set the profiler at 900 degrees and leave it alone. If you want quicker steering, change the steering ratio within the car's setup. You'll keep the correct animation that way.

Korezo

I don't like that you can't jump around in car classes for career, I'm tired of karts already.. Am I suppose to race more karts again after my first srason is over? because I'm looking at the new contracts and its for more Kart racing except I can choose to accept a 125cc or 225cc contract. They should of just have each class its own section and let people jump around like GT.

jon_dojah

Banned

Awesome was waiting to hear some good news. Will pickup pCars soon. Haven't touched my DK2 in a long time.

Megasoum

Banned
I don't like that you can't jump around in car classes for career, I'm tired of karts already.. Am I suppose to race more karts again after my first srason is over? because I'm looking at the new contracts and its for more Kart racing except I can choose to accept a 125cc or 225cc contract. They should of just have each class its own section and let people jump around like GT.

225cc SuperKart are the next tier so only option when going from 125cc.

Believe me, the SuperKarts are NOTHING like the 125cc haha... Those things are madmen machines. You will be doing 260kph on straights in a Kart. It's a TON of fun.

Also that's why you get a bunch of invitanionatl as you progress in the career. This gives you variety between your normal contract races.

aliengmr

Oh, and that Caterham 7 race was absolute hell for me to begin with.

3 hours of trying to get used to the car and the circuit, and I think I could probably mount a decent challenge.

I had an "arcade racer" brain fart and decided "Fuck the RUF!, I'm going for the R500." I will slay everyone hahaha!"

I don't know what I expected.

It really wasn't pretty, especially it being in the wet. Torrential rain + nub + R500 = wall party.

The Cowboy

This video from the same guy on WMD forums shows the AMD driver situation much clearer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U3h3QfsRho
So much untapped GPU usage (even on the Windows 10 gameplay), makes me sad :(.

It runs like a dog on my PC, drops to the mid 20's FPS a lot of the time with medium/high settings (i have a 280X) with very low GPU usage almost all of the time, heck on a race the GPU usage wen to the mid 30's whilst my FPS was 22.

Hopefully AMD get it sorted ASAP, as far as I'm concerned the game is basically broken for AMD users unless you can brute force it to decent FPS levels..

Hedrush

Has anyone else experienced the bug where at the start of the race before the lights come on your kart will roll forward and you get disqualified? I've experienced it during nearly every race, and I've had to turn allow restarts back on or my race is over before it begins. When I restart the race it's absolutely fine.

I had an "arcade racer" brain fart and decided "Fuck the RUF!, I'm going for the R500." I will slay everyone hahaha!"

I don't know what I expected.

It really wasn't pretty, especially it being in the wet. Torrential rain + nub + R500 = wall party.

Haha!

I love the handling of this.

Don't know where it sits in regards to more established PC franchises, but it's certainly feels more complex than Forza or GT in terms of being unforgiving.

I'm actually having to think about when to downshift because of my earlier mentioned issue with Karts, and cars becoming very unstable if done at incorrect times.

Anyone got impressions against Assetto Corsa?

I prefer Assetto Corsa in nearly all aspects except for the Career mode and graphics in some areas basically. Doesn't mean pCARS is inherently bad but AC is a damn fine sim when you get it all hooked up well.

This game is a step above simcade titles and Forza/GT but a step below what the current batch of PC sims are doing. But creating that new step is something I always wanted pCARS to do as I don't mind something a little less intensive from time to time, and I get bored quickly with simcade titles these days.

SHarris78

Don't know whether to get the PS4 version or the PC version.

I don't have a mega pc (i7 2600 @ 3.4Ghz, 16gb ram, GTX980) so i'm leaning towards the PS4 version, as I think the framerate on my PC will fluctuate more than on PS4 (as I found with GTA 5 - 60fps in the mountains, but in the 20s and 30s at intersections).

Zeth

Not sure if this is a major bug, or if I'm just doing it wrong. But I saved a setup for the Formula Rookie and it gets transferred over to different cars, like the gear ratios don't work past 4th.

I don't have a mega pc (i7 2600 @ 3.4Ghz, 16gb ram, GTX980) so i'm leaning towards the PS4 version, as I think the framerate on my PC will fluctuate more than on PS4 (as I found with GTA 5 - 60fps in the mountains, but in the 20s and 30s at intersections).

Are you crazy or do you just refuse to change settings from Ultra? I have a 970 and I'm playing at 1440P - 90hz.

Korezo

What? You getting ps4 because you can't play on ultra pc?

Has anyone else experienced the bug where at the start of the race before the lights come on your kart will roll forward and you get disqualified? I've experienced it during nearly every race, and I've had to turn allow restarts back on or my race is over before it begins. When I restart the race it's absolutely fine.

Yup this happens from time to time, in addition to being able to jump start up to half a second early in races without penalty.

Stick with PC. Your game will look fantastic at high-ultra settings and frame drops won't occur unless you plan on massive AI grids or plenty of racing in heavy rain.

SHarris78

Are you crazy or do you just refuse to change settings from Ultra? I have a 970 and I'm playing at 1440P - 90hz.

What? You getting ps4 because you can't play on ultra pc?

No no i'm not looking for ultra settings, just less fluctuations in the framerate, my GTAV experience on PC was quite disappointing (most graphical options are on low or off, and I still get dips under 60fps), I just don't want that again.

Noobcraft

At PS4 level settings your PC should easily run >60 fps most of the time as it's more than twice as powerful as the PS4.

Branson

Hey guys I have a Ferrari but I'm just going to drive my moped around.

Hip Hop

I don't understand, there are over 10,000 people playing Project Cars on Steam and only about 10 people are in the online component?

Top Bottom