• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Don't know whether to get the PS4 version or the PC version.

I don't have a mega pc (i7 2600 @ 3.4Ghz, 16gb ram, GTX980) so i'm leaning towards the PS4 version, as I think the framerate on my PC will fluctuate more than on PS4 (as I found with GTA 5 - 60fps in the mountains, but in the 20s and 30s at intersections).

You're insane. Your PC is great by GAF standards and absolutely trounces the PS4. Unless this is a stealth brag post.

GTAV is intensive with SLI Titan X's. Turn down the ultra in that game.

Zeth

No no i'm not looking for ultra settings, just less fluctuations in the framerate, my GTAV experience on PC was quite disappointing (most graphical options are on low or off, and I still get dips under 60fps), I just don't want that again.

980 you sure? 980M? Weird. Go with the one you think you'll be happiest with.

LilJoka

No no i'm not looking for ultra settings, just less fluctuations in the framerate, my GTAV experience on PC was quite disappointing (most graphical options are on low or off, and I still get dips under 60fps), I just don't want that again.

Pcars isnt GTA V, and nor do many other games behave like GTA V.

Mascot

Also, can someone with the ps4 or xbox version confirm whether those even have wheel calibration options?

Well, the ISR XBone video above shows calibration settings, but I'm not getting those options with my GT2 on PS4. I'm guessing the official TM wheels show up fine though.

SHarris78

You're insane. Your PC is great by GAF standards and absolutely trounces the PS4. Unless this is a stealth brag post.

GTAV is intensive with SLI Titan X's. Turn down the ultra in that game.

I can assure you its not, hate those with a passion. I know the 980 is a good card, and i've a nice amount of RAM, but i've had that processor for about 3 years now, which is a lifetime in pc gaming, so I assume its pretty slow compared to newer ones and possible causing a bottleneck. I'm no tech guy though, so I could be way off the mark.

I can assure you its not, hate those with a passion. I know the 980 is a good card, and i've a nice amount of RAM, but i've had that processor for about 3 years now, which is a lifetime in pc gaming, so I assume its pretty slow compared to newer ones and possible causing a bottleneck. I'm no tech guy though, so I could be way off the mark.

Your CPU will be fine in most situations.

Considering the PS4 version isn't free of frame drops either, go for the clear IQ advantage on PC. You won't regret it.

ValfarHL

Something is wrong with your computer. My 2500k@4.5Ghz and 970@1550/7900 runs GTA V on almost max settings (except supersampling, grass and some other really demanding stuff). Looks and plays just great. So does Project Cars on mostly ultra running at 1080p. My fps is fluctuating between 70 and 90.

Games are rarely CPU bound, so your config should work just fine. I have a GPU that's a fair bit worse, and a CPU that's a fair bit better (i5 3570 and GTX780), I get 60FPS in most cases at high/very high settings. Lowest I've ever seen was 30FPS at the back of a 36 car race in night+rain. It'll always be playable but you'll have to configure it to your ideals and specs.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. Is it a K processor? If so you need to overclock it. It's only marginally slower than even the most current i7 out. It would make sense that GTAV dips frequently; it's rending tons of foliage, people, cars, and AI at times. Project CARS won't be nearly as demanding.

In any case, this game is going perform leagues better than the PS4 version. If you have any doubt, just remember that this game was developed on PC for PC and ported everywhere else.

Solal

God this game is good!!!

I just wish there were more supercars (Ferraris!!!) and...that the FFB would rumble when thet yres are blocking (ala Assetto Corsa iirc...just wonderful).

SHarris78

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. Is it a K processor? If so you need to overclock it. It's only marginally slower than even the most current i7 out. It would make sense that GTAV dips frequently; it's rending tons of foliage, people, cars, and AI at times. Project CARS won't be nearly as demanding.

In any case, this game is going perform leagues better than the PS4 version. If you have any doubt, just remember that this game was developed on PC for PC and ported everywhere else.

No worries mate.

I've dabbled with overclocking but kept getting Bsod's so decided to stop before I blew up something!!

waters10

Neo Member
Well, the ISR XBone video above shows calibration settings, but I'm not getting those options with my GT2 on PS4. I'm guessing the official TM wheels show up fine though.
But does it work fine without calibration? Anything in particular that you wanted to tweak? From your impressions, it sounds like the game is fun with the fanatec wheel out of the box.

datamage

I don't have a mega pc (i7 2600 @ 3.4Ghz, 16gb ram, GTX980) so i'm leaning towards the PS4 version, as I think the framerate on my PC will fluctuate more than on PS4 (as I found with GTA 5 - 60fps in the mountains, but in the 20s and 30s at intersections).

Eh, I have the same setup and both GTA5 + pCars run amazing. You need to know which settings to lower without affecting visual quality too much. I haven't even felt the need to severely o/c my CPU. (It has a very mild o/c of 4Ghz.)

My wife's i7-920(much older than your processor) still does fine on most games she plays. It was my cpu until I upgraded to a 4770k last year and I had no issues playing every new release with it when it(i7-920) was paired with a 780@1080p/60fps. Your cpu is more than average, especially if you put a nice little overclock on it.

fresquito

Yeah I've noticed the jump start too a few times. I knew my reflexes weren't that good.
You're probably mistaking how start works. You're penalised if you cross the line before the green light, not when you start moving. in road cars and lower GTs you better start accelerating well before the green light.

The Cowboy

Does anyone else find it bizarre to see the line "I don't have a mega PC" and then read "i7 2600 @ 3.4Ghz, 16gb ram, GTX980" - i mean that is very clearly a mega PC. When someone says they don't have a mega PC, you expect to see midrange gear or similar, you don't expect to see double the ram most people have in a gaming PC and one of the fastest single GPU's on the market

Get the PC version mate, your PC will eat the game for lunch and give a much better looking/performing game over the PS4 version (remember, the PS4 version has drops in FPS and ghosting under certain conditions).

Blizzard

Banned
I may have to pull out the Oculus DK2 and try CARS again. I stopped using it waiting on direct mode, but it sounds like there's at least beta support for direct mode.

Reading other posts, navigating menus may still be a pain, and it sounds like shadows may still need disabled? I'm still happy if it works decently in direct.

Jezbollah

Yeah, the starts, in combination with the Hud bugs and seriously over-agressive AI has made me think I'll wait for a few weeks for patches to come in before I play this game again.

fozzy

Loving it so far. Won the first kart Championship. Those little bastards can be twitchy. Many times I wished for a rewind feature.

The settings someone posted earlier helped - so thanks for that.

On to the 250cc ones.

I clicked end season by accident and missed an invitation race. Gutted about that.

SHarris78

Does anyone else find it bizarre to see the line "I don't have a mega PC" and then read "i7 2600 @ 3.4Ghz, 16gb ram, GTX980" - i mean that is very clearly a mega PC.

When someone says they don't have a mage PC, you expect to see mirage gear or similar, you don't expect to see double the ram most people have in a gaming PC and one of the fastest single GPU's on the market

I think maybe i'm reading too many threads where people are going craaaazy and sticking loads of Titans together and i'm thinking thats the way PC gaming is going - which it clearly isn't as i'm sure most of us couldn't afford one Titan let alone 2/3!!

My RAM and processor are years old so I assume my rig is dated, my 980 is new however as my previous card conked out on me.

Just loaded up Steam to check the price on the game and the store isn't working !

Mascot

But does it work fine without calibration? Anything in particular that you wanted to tweak? From your impressions, it sounds like the game is fun with the fanatec wheel out of the box.

It is, and there are plenty of other calibration options in other parts of the (rather clunky and illogical) UI, but it'd be nice to set things like the clutch bite point and have access to the additional FFB settings. I'm sure it'll soon be patched though.

If you have a Fanatec wheel you have no reason to be concerned - it works great, easily as well as in FM, GT, Assetto Corsa, GTR2, Race Pro, Shift 2 etc.

danowat

Banned
Lift off oversteer in the Clio cup car on Snetterton is killing me.

Going into Brundle is sketchy in the dry, but in the wet, forget about it.

Trying to tune it out, but not have a lot of luck....

Lurch666

I may have to pull out the Oculus DK2 and try CARS again. I stopped using it waiting on direct mode, but it sounds like there's at least beta support for direct mode.

Reading other posts, navigating menus may still be a pain, and it sounds like shadows may still need disabled? I'm still happy if it works decently in direct.
Yep-disable the shadows and you will have to work your way around the menus in the rift without them displaying properly but it's well worth the effort.Just stay in first person view as some of the outside views don't headtrack.

EDIT:Direct mode doesn't work for me-used extended mode and it works.

Noobcraft

Any way to get a console copy of this in the US yet? It's pretty disappointing that even the digital versions don't unlock until next week :/

Are you finding the VR implementation much different than, say, six months ago? I'd imagine at the very least performance has improved.
It appears to be worse on my system - shadows never used to work - it looked fine but a bit flat, but now they're in, but they're not showing up in stereo 3D - it's like they're on a separate 2D plane. It's a causing a load of weird dithering in the distance too. And now the exposure is all wrong (similar to AC's problem).

Mascot

I'm looking for them. Everything is set to zero and there is some shit middle deadzone and spring.

What model? Does it have physical on-wheel adjustment? My GT2 does, not sure what other models do.

Are you getting the wheel calibration screen in-game (with FFB adjustment, pedal calibration etc)?

Blizzard

Banned
Yep-disable the shadows and you will have to work your way around the menus in the rift without them displaying properly but it's well worth the effort.Just stay in first person view as some of the outside views don't headtrack.

EDIT:Direct mode doesn't work for me-used extended mode and it works.
The SMS render team said it requires -vrdirectmode to use the beta direct support. They also suggest -skipcrowds.

The game does support Rift/direct mode in a beta form. In the Steam launch options add "-vrdirectmode" to enable this, ensuring you've set Direct Mode in the Oculus configuration util before you launch the game.

You can also more generally add another launch option "-skipcrowds" to help get a consistently locked 75FPS if your PC is close.

Spookie

Good lord no FFB when tyres lock either. I'm swapping between AC and this to compare. It's fucking making me angry.

LilJoka

Good lord no FFB when tyres lock either. I'm swapping between AC and this to compare. It's fucking making me angry.

Ive only had a small time to compare, but its hard to explain, PCars feels almost lazy and normalized, whereas AC feels sharp and crisp and specific on the FFB side.

ss_lemonade

At what settings are you trying to run GTA V with? My 780 and 3570k gets me 60fps pretty much most of the time with a mix of ultra and very high settings. Its interesting though how you get higher framerates in the mountains than in the city. For me, the outside areas were way more demanding until I dropped the setting for grass.

Your PC is definitely in the upper end department with that CPU and GPU. There is like 0 reason to go with the console version (unless the PC version somehow ended up being extremely buggy)

Spookie

Ive only had a small time to compare, but its hard to explain, PCars feels almost lazy and normalized, whereas AC feels sharp and crisp and specific on the FFB side.

I'm comparing Monza back to back and the difference is night and day at the moment. Project CARS is like racing on clouds on strips of track I know to be shitty and bumpy, this is also recreated in Raceroom. But I'm not getting any feeling in CARS, I'm cranking up the z axis on the wheel and it's not having an impact. The car should be getting squirely under breaking.

I'm going to give up for the night till someone over at Racedepartment does the work to find out why there is a deadzone and centre spring I can't disable.

SHarris78

At what settings are you trying to run GTA V with? My 780 and 3570k gets me 60fps pretty much most of the time with a mix of ultra and very high settings. Its interesting though how you get higher framerates in the mountains than in the city. For me, the outside areas were way more demanding until I dropped the setting for grass.

Your PC is definitely in the upper end department with that CPU and GPU. There is like 0 reason to go with the console version (unless the PC version somehow ended up being extremely buggy)

I forget the exact settings, I first tried it at recommended setting (via the nvidia experience thingy) which put a lot of things on high and some ultra, I dialed that down to mostly medium with some low or even off and for the most part I get 60fps.

Just went to buy this of GMG, its asking me for my Playfire password to verify my account - I don't have a password for whatever Playfire is and without one I can't login to GMG.

Lurch666

The SMS render team said it requires -vrdirectmode to use the beta direct support. They also suggest -skipcrowds.

I've had this conversation before.

Using -vrdirectmode didn't work for me.It makes the game go into rift mode with the screen split but it only shows on the monitor-the DK2 light stays orange and it doesn't turn the rift screen on.

My impression of the pre-programmed wheel behavior in Project CARS is that they mostly follow the philosophy of trying to replicate the feeling the steering wheel in a reel car (where you don't have to fight to turn it more than 30° and the things the wheel does on it's on comes from road-tyre-steering-feedback). Haven't played AC, but in Forza for example it's more of the philosophy to give you more feedback through the wheel than would be natural to compensate for the missing sensations (like g-forces and sudden changes).
Shouldn't be a problem with gigantic list of FFB-options in PCARS to tailor it to your personal needs (should they ever patch-in better explanations of what options changes what).

nikos

Does anyone know if controllers have been optimized on PS4, or are they the same as using them on PC? I'm assuming the same, since there are so many customization options.

Quoting myself for context. In his latest video, VVV mentioned that controller support feels better on PS4 than Xbone. Hopefully this means it'll feel better than it does on PC. I managed to find some pretty good settings, but some cars still feel like they require a wheel.

BNGames

Just did a PC Benchmark test with MSI Afterburner with everything turned up to Max on PC. Had the circuit weather speed turned up so you get a mix of everything.

https://youtu.be/F34Q5qaCjn8

PC Specs:
PC Specs:
COOLER MASTER HAF X Blue Edition
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RS800-80GAD3-US 800W
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) - Overclocked to 4.3Ghz
(SLI) EVGA 04G-2983-KR GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 ACX 2.0 PCI Express 3.0
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77
G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)
Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" ASUS Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS
(Shadowplay Dump Drive) SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
(OS Drive) SAMSUNG 850 Pro Series MZ-7KE512BW 2.5" 512GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Top Bottom