• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Fonds

Is it just me or are the times I'm driving not being registered at the moment?
Or are there certain settings that need to be turned off for a lap to count towards the leaderboards?

MilkyJoe

Or are there certain settings that need to be turned off for a lap to count towards the leaderboards?

I notice if you come off the track it flashes up something about track time not registered because of your mistake? I don't know if that's what you mean?

danowat

Banned

There is considerable lag (at least on the PS4) between you setting a time and that time being uploaded to the leaderboard.

Static weight distribution is only one side of the coin though. Extreme example: try throwing a dart with the flight first and see how the heavier rear goes to the front.
911 road cars from the factory do indeed naturally understeer but this can be dialed out with suspension adjustments and playing with tyre pressure. It's important to be clear that the oversteer (arse sliding out) that 911s are known for if going into a corner too fast or without balanced inputs is 'lift-off oversteer', i.e. if you feel the back going out DON'T lift your foot off the accelerator, which is the natural reaction....instead keep your foot down and the car will correct itself with the natural weight transfer.
And to add, as you brake the weight is shifted to the front of the car, the rear wheels go light and lose grip compared to fronts, that will tend to bring the rear swap around, considering the momentum of the rear is still greater due to being rear engined, it makes it much worse. So RUF should be pretty slidy to drive.

I think we're all actually on the same page here.

Have you guys tried the BAC Mono in PCARS?
At the end of a deceleration, even the slightest steering input sends the back flying, I tried to correct it with making the front stiffer, shifting the brake-balance to the back, letting the slip-differential admit less rotation difference upon deceleration, but it's still really hard to drive compared to the other track-toy production cars. Is this realistic? Any advice how to make this work? I feel like there is something car-physics related that I don't quite understand.

Skyzard

Banned
I was playing with automatic for too long and getting comfortable with the pad so thought I'd switch to manual for that extra control but I'm having some difficulties with Formula A launch:

Either I spin out at 2nd gear or go to slow.

Hard to get that in-between where I can just go forward with the AI pack.

Any tips?

Azzawon

I was playing with automatic for too long and getting comfortable with the pad so thought I'd switch to manual for that extra control but I'm having some difficulties with Formula A launch:

Any tips?

Have you tried short-shifting? Try to straighten the car up as much as possible and slowly squeeze the throttle until you feel traction breaking on the back tyres. I know it's an aid, but it might be useful starting out with the 'counter steer' assist turned on.

Skyzard

Banned
Have you tried short-shifting? Try to straighten the car up as much as possible and slowly squeeze the throttle until you feel traction breaking on the back tyres. I know it's an aid, but it might be useful starting out with the 'counter steer' assist turned on.

I did try short shifting but wasn't doing it properly I don't think. The engine sounds like it's ready to go in 3rd by the time I set it to second from launch. (or second gear by the time I've set it to first).

So I tried double tapping and that didn't work out to well either. Guess it's an in-between, might have to decrease throttle sensitivity.
Will practice some more and try the counter steer assist if I can't get it down, thank you.

Maybe it's the AI putting me off, the one behind me always ends up revving it up to max just before the green, to the point where I can barely hear my own engine. Probably shouldn't be doing that myself.

Just something else I wanted to check do you need to take your foot off the gas when changing gear or is it better not to? Not using a clutch with the pad atm, guess that might affect it.

virtualS

Finally installed the game. Why come on 2 DVDs if there's an extra couple GB of downloading to go? At 6000x1080 performance is stuttery but acceptable in the day on two r9 290s. Ultra everything + MSAA.

Really looking forward to a driver update though.

Also, why are cars impossible to control in pro simulation mode? I drive exotic cars in real life and one thing they are not is impossible to control, even with all computer control turned off. Doesn't make sense.

I own a G27 racing seat setup btw. It was a challenge getting the wheel to be recognized.

danowat

Banned
I did try short shifting but wasn't doing it properly I don't think. The engine sounds like it's ready to go in 3rd by the time I set it to second from launch. (or second gear by the time I've set it to first).

Sounds like you are just getting a ton of wheelspin, are you modulating the throttle?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I've gone down the rabbit hole now!
Is this the recommended stand? Or is there a better option? Maybe a cheaper one that works just fine?

It's an awesome stand. I got that wheel and that stand a couple of weeks ago. Sturdy as hell, and easy to fold up and stick in a closet when not using it for a while.

If you want to save a bit you can order directly from their U.S. Store and get a refurb for $160. They had a 10% off sale going when I ordered as well, but that seems to have ended.

It was good as new, and came in two days.

Spookie

Also, why are cars impossible to control in pro simulation mode? I drive exotic cars in real life and one thing they are not is impossible to control, even with all computer control turned off. Doesn't make sense.

Try one of the GT cars to compare, if you're driving the road cars they are known to have serious issues.

Edit: They are adding the Bentley Continental GT3? Motherfuckers. Well now I'll have to buy the DLC. That car is a monster.

SPEEDxNASTY

Neo Member
Finally received the game yesterday.
My first impressions are quite mixed for now.
Straight out of the box the game is playable but not enjoyable for now, having to scroll through multiple pages of forums to get the feeling and pad setup right is a bit of a pain in the *ss honestly.
Last racing game I've played was FM4 and this is my first game ever on the PS4 so getting used to the different stick and triggers is not helping.
I can do clean laps without crashing but the steering and brake feel is not there.

Does steering assist ON helps tame the nervousness?
Does running the assists settings on REAL give more feel? (I usually turn everything off)

danowat

Banned
But the AI driver behind me gets to start with his engine revved to the max :(

Are you using TCS?, there is no way you'll be able to plant the throttle of a Forumla A car off the line and not get a shed load of wheelspin, you need to modulate the throttle.

The AI maybe using TCS.

ValfarHL

Any tips?

The tires in the Formula A car needs some heat before it's drivable. It usually takes me half a lap to get any grip at all. I dunno if this is your problem, though..

Skyzard

Banned
^ I've felt that before, although I do forget it often. But I'm trying to mimick the AI starting so I can move off with them and I'm guessing their tyres aren't bugged in a way that helps them out.

With automatic you don't get any spin out...why am I getting it in manual >.<

Max revs doesn't mean max throttle though.

Ahh, right, yeah! Definitely going to tweak the throttle sensitivity (only on 20% atm though :/), tried only just approaching max revs a few times before but it was a really fine line and didn't always work out either but I'll give it a few more tries in a sec.

So I should be going for max rev with minimum throttle, or trying to focus on the grip more...in that split second from 1st gear to 2nd ha - maybe it's just a split second because I'm over throttling.

----although they are max throttling from what it sounds like, unless the sound is resulting from an accumulation of them all doing the same thing but it sounds like just before the green light they'll max throttle. I guess TCS is enabled for them.

Are you using TCS?, there is no way you'll be able to plant the throttle of a Forumla A car off the line and not get a shed load of wheelspin, you need to modulate the throttle.

The AI maybe using TCS.

That makes sense...I had it off or set to real.

---awesome, thanks guys, it's working out now.

Fonds

There is considerable lag (at least on the PS4) between you setting a time and that time being uploaded to the leaderboard.

Lag as in, hours? I've raced a multitude of clean laps but they're not showing up when I use the "find me" option.

danowat

Banned
Lag as in, hours? I've raced a multitude of clean laps but they're not showing up when I use the "find me" option.

Seems to vary, I set a time, check the leaderboard to "find me", says can't be found, so I back out and go play free practice or career for a bit, come back and it's normally there.

Fonds

Seems to vary, I set a time, check the leaderboard to "find me", says can't be found, so I back out and go play free practice or career for a bit, come back and it's normally there.

K thanks, seems one time is now up a few sessions later as you said.
Finding it a bit of a hassle so far to see my times compared to others in the same vehicle atm.

doomquake

Any news on when I can add neon lights under the car?
tumblr_n91m0yoFT41qjqxmoo1_500.gif

Ardenyal

Why does every race weekend need to have rain? Every. Fucking. Weekend.

It wouldn't be a problem if there wasn't that constant suspision whether the Ai actually needs to pit in for tyres, I still think they just get slightly reduced speed depending on the weather and dont need to pit.

ValfarHL

So do other gaffers with wheels prefer "real" aids, or completely off?

I've been driving with real, but most cars has too much traction control, even with the wheelspin setting to max.

Skyzard

Banned
Not getting a super fast start, I'm pretty sure AI has traction control on and set it to max throttle not just max rev from the way things sound.
Spinning out less anyway, should pick up the timing for it eventually.

K thanks, seems one time is now up a few sessions later as you said.
Finding it a bit of a hassle so far to see my times compared to others in the same vehicle atm.

If you go to the main menu and check the leaderboards from there (bottom right) you can select the track and vehicle.

Otherwise it will display the fastest time you have from any vehicle for that track in the regular leaderboards...I think you can tab to the vehicle list there too but not 100%.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Controller settings are so horrible. No matter how much I tweak its impossible to counter steer a drift or if the car side steps. Completely ridiculous. Hope this is fixed soon or I'm shelving it.

SmokyDave

I've been driving with real, but most cars has too much traction control, even with the wheelspin setting to max.
Completely off, for the reason you've given. Everything off except ABS (though I think I'm going to drop that too).

doomquake

Controller settings are so horrible. No matter how much I tweak its impossible to counter steer a drift or if the car side steps. Completely ridiculous. Hope this is fixed soon or I'm shelving it.

err.. I am using defaults with a 360 controller in winblows. I like it! seriously..
although... its so sensitive..

Trojan X

Banned
No worries ;)

For fellow PC players, check out the video below for a visual guide as to what each graphical setting does and how it looks from lowest to highest settings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdUmhUhSgYk

Wow. This video proves that this game does some serious voodoo on low settings compared to many games out there. Damn! Of course, the resolution was still above 1080p so the game will STILL look great, but still. I'd love for ULTRA setting had an extra option to go all out with the lighting to make the game look photo realistic. That would really separate all the settings from the rest.

Neil_J_UK

Does this game have a strong online focus in the single player, like Forza or Driveclub? I move house next week and I'll be without the internet for a few weeks, and I want to play this. If I'm gonna be missing out on stuff though because I won't be connected to the web, I'd rather wait.

fresquito

Does this game have a strong online focus in the single player, like Forza or Driveclub? I move house next week and I'll be without the internet for a few weeks, and I want to play this. If I'm gonna be missing out on stuff though because I won't be connected to the web, I'd rather wait.
Career and QRW are totally offline. Practice is also offline. Online is for TT, Community Events and MP.

You may miss on some achievements, though.

Skyzard

Banned
Timing for the start is basically low throttle while in neutral to get right revs, then when you switch into 1st, as you gain speed bring the throttle up and change to 2nd when appropriate. If you put too much gas down, drop the throttle briefly around the time of the gear change to prevent spinning out on the new gear.

Otherwise you canl hit max revs before you reach the right speed to change to 2nd (if you go from low throttle in neutral to high throttle in first too quick). Same for 2nd, by 3rd I'm safe if I did it right and I get to leave with the rest of the AI and full throttle.

Basically, be gentle but quick.

--argh, still can't do it properly and quickly regularly, dropping throttle just while changing into second helps a lot, can put you behind though.

60% throttle at neutral just to give it a bit of a push when going in first. Drop the throttle quickly then back up to 60-80-100 and change to 2 by then...or something, it's harder than I thought it would be to do consistently.

danowat

Banned

No, at least not in career and free practice.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.

not at all.

I turn this on and off depending on the car. If I feel a car is designed for purity (like a Zonda), then turn it off. If it's designed with TCS in mind like the P1, then I turn it on. In reality the P1 features some high-tech torque vectoring system that can't be turned off, so even with the car in race-mode and the TCS off or almost off, there is still a computer system helping you to corner, which no sim really tries to simulate even though Forza claims to do. I really hate that all the racing games don't try to simulate computer adjusted suspensions and e-diffs in supercars. I bet if hydraulic adjusted rear spoilers and diffusors weren't so visible and prominent in a lot of supercars, they wouldn't even simulate those.

Edit1: Btw, you can adjust the traction control setting in each cars tuning setup and make it more subtle.

Edit2: My own post got me curious and I tested the hydraulic spoilers on the Pagani Huayra.
The spoilers don't move AT ALL in PCARS. Really disappointing. In reality the left, right, rear and front flaps even move asymmetrically in high speed corners.

Bydobob

Have you guys tried the BAC Mono in PCARS?
At the end of a deceleration, even the slightest steering input sends the back flying, I tried to correct it with making the front stiffer, shifting the brake-balance to the back, letting the slip-differential admit less rotation difference upon deceleration, but it's still really hard to drive compared to the other track-toy production cars. Is this realistic? Any advice how to make this work? I feel like there is something car-physics related that I don't quite understand.

Not a car I'm familiar with so wouldn't pretend to know how it's supposed to behave. I'd concentrate on getting the car safely home first before making too many changes, only way to understand the car and know where to build from. Some of this stuff can get complicated pretty quickly. Look forward to giving it a try tonight at any rate.

I would like to slap the shit out of whoever thought is was a great idea to set the FFB for each car at 26. I mean WTF! The game felt like NFS Shift before I fixed it. Almost ruined my morning.

Anyway I think I have every assist turned off but all the cars I have driven have a ton of grip. Is there some hidden menu that might still have an assist on?

doomquake

I would like to slap the shit out of whoever thought is was a great idea to set the FFB for each car at 26. I mean WTF! The game felt like NFS Shift before I fixed it. Almost ruined my morning.

Anyway I think I have every assist turned off but all the cars I have driven have a ton of grip. Is there some hidden menu that might still have an assist on?

i actually learned today that PCARS is based on the NFS Shift engine

danowat

Banned
Big time. and having to quit out of the race to tweak'm is bs. Im going to set a couple hours aside later to try and get something that works. What does "Controller filter sensitivity" do ???

Smooths out the spiky input you can sometimes get with small movements of the analog stick/s

Top Bottom