• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

TheMan

These impressions are not good :(
I may hold off for now, give SMS a chance to get their shit together with a patch.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Ahh, right, yeah! Definitely going to tweak the throttle sensitivity (only on 20% atm though :/), tried only just approaching max revs a few times before but it was a really fine line and didn't always work out either but I'll give it a few more tries in a sec.

So I should be going for max rev with minimum throttle, or trying to focus on the grip more...in that split second from 1st gear to 2nd ha - maybe it's just a split second because I'm over throttling.

----although they are max throttling from what it sounds like, unless the sound is resulting from an accumulation of them all doing the same thing but it sounds like just before the green light they'll max throttle. I guess TCS is enabled for them.

All cars, even in real life can reach what sounds like maximum revs without using maximum throttle. I wouldn't be trying to adjust settings to get there, it's just a matter of knowing where it peaks. I usually just hammer the throttle at the last second before it turns green and change into 1st gear at the same time, by the time the gear actually engages the lights are green and I feather the throttle back a bit.

As for the AI having TCS on, well it depends if the car has it. If you change the Assists to "Real" then any car that has TCS, ABS etc will automatically have them on, and the cars that don't, well, don't.

In an unrelated matter, the GT5 class is the shiznit, especially the Ford Capri, geez that sounds like a demon, and the revs..... *drool*

nw3

Controller settings are so horrible. No matter how much I tweak its impossible to counter steer a drift or if the car side steps. Completely ridiculous. Hope this is fixed soon or I'm shelving it.

On PS4 dualshock I'm using the settings below (posted earlier) and very happy. Only addition is turning on steering assist too...at least for now. Try that with the Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe DTM on Nordschliefe and let me know what you think....

u7DV6ibm.jpg

Skyzard

Banned
All cars, even in real life can reach what sounds like maximum revs without using maximum throttle. I wouldn't be trying to adjust settings to get there, it's just a matter of knowing where it peaks. I usually just hammer the throttle at the last second before it turns green and change into 1st gear at the same time, by the time the gear actually engages the lights are green and I feather the throttle back a bit.

As for the AI having TCS on, well it depends if the car has it. If you change the Assists to "Real" then any car that has TCS, ABS etc will automatically have them on, and the cars that don't, well, don't.

Do you know if that last part applies for AI too? I've just been doing something similar, give it quite a lot of throttle in neutral, when I shift over to first it gives it a bit of a push but the throttle comes down, and then I bring it back up again carefully but as fast as possible without slipping...which I haven't pulled of consistently yet.

I get that you can reach max revs without using max throttle ...but the sound my vehicle makes at max throttle is different from at max revs (from starting point on the grid where I've been able to compare anyway).
The AI sounds like it's setting it to max throttle on the last red light.

I should probably test with only one other AI on the track to make sure that sound isn't just all 21 AI setting it to max revs, and the accumulation ends up sounding like max throttle. I restarted way too many times practicing though, need a break. Might be easier for me to see how AI are doing it and if they're using traction control by just watching a replay of the AI and turning on telemetry.

Driving a 911 generally requires breaking earlier than you would in mid-engine cars (get all your breaking done while still in a straight-line), however because of the masses of mechanical grip you can accelerate heavily out of the corner earlier than you would usually in mid-engine cars.

911 road cars from the factory do indeed naturally understeer but this can be dialed out with suspension adjustments and playing with tyre pressure. It's important to be clear that the oversteer (arse sliding out) that 911s are known for if going into a corner too fast or without balanced inputs is 'lift-off oversteer', i.e. if you feel the back going out DON'T lift your foot off the accelerator, which is the natural reaction....instead keep your foot down and the car will correct itself with the natural weight transfer.

Source: I drive a 993 Carrera 2 (manual) from 1994. Granted the older cars have no traction control or other digital aids that the newer cars have + I don't know how RUFs are set up from the factory. But either way hopefully this gives an insight into how the rear engine 911 chasis handles without driver aids.

Nice car you got there. :)

dedhead54

Popped in to GameStop last minute (yesterday) and pre-ordered to secure the car pack. Just picked it up and got a poster (that I will not be hanging) and steelbook. I was very pleasantly surprised about the steelbook. And now I can't wait to dig in to this game!

danowat

Banned
Thanks.

If any North London-based car enthusiast GAFFERS over 18 want to come for a country lane blast in the real deal sometime (Porsche 993 C2 cab, iris blue) then drop me a DM and maybe we can arrange something!

Now that's tempting!!

dedhead54

How come everything except a solo race in Dubai is locked for me? I figured once I completed that race the rest of the menus would unlock but that is not the case.

danowat

Banned
How come everything except a solo race in Dubai is locked for me? I figured once I completed that race the rest of the menus would unlock but that is not the case.

Either you haven't downloaded and installed the D1P, or the game isn't fully installed yet.

Fox Mulder

Big time. and having to quit out of the race to tweak'm is bs. Im going to set a couple hours aside later to try and get something that works. What does "Controller filter sensitivity" do ???

Yep, shouldn't have to back out of everything to tweak controller settings.

Plus you have to do the same for camera tweaks when the game could at least have a screenshot.

The UI is clunky and there's tons of wasted empty space.

Lettuce

So is there a bug with the team radio, think ive only heard my team talk to me about 3 or 4 times and that was in the first few races and now ive just started year 2 and haven't heard a peak from them the rest of the time???

dedhead54

Either you haven't downloaded and installed the D1P, or the game isn't fully installed yet.

It most definitely was fully installed before I loaded the game up. An ~800mb update file had also been installed.

I uninstalled the game and am now re-installing/re-downloading the D1P to see if that fixes it.

Metfanant

i actually learned today that PCARS is based on the NFS Shift engine

Physics Simulation[edit]
The game adopts an improved version of the Madness engine, which was the basis for the Need for Speed: Shift titles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_CARS

#REKT

But it is true...dont lie to yourselves that this is a simulator.

oh..

Slightly MAD studios..get it?

http://www.slightlymadstudios.com/tech.html

First...graphics engine =/= physics engine...and regardless, just because two games use the same engine doesn't mean they have to behave the same way...see Forza proper, and Horizon for example...
These impressions are not good :(
I may hold off for now, give SMS a chance to get their shit together with a patch.

Yet the reviews have been stellar...you're limiting yourself to a very small percentage of people by simply looking at GAF...

And the amount of people asking about controller settings should tell you that just because you're a gaffer, doesn't mean you're doing it right...

Metfanant

is it?

EDIT: Bought

also purchased!

NOW...it automatically gave me the "Limited Edition" upgrade...but IIRC, SMS said that we would also get the pre-order "modified" car pack as well...anyone know how to get that?

Yes. But it doesn't include the modified car pack like SMS said it would. A bit annoyed right now. Was only going digital because I was told we'd get both, now I have to wait for a physical copy to be shipped to me.

i will also be more than a bit annoyed if this turns out to be the case, as its no fault of ours that:

1. There was no physical limited edition to buy in the US, or i would have preordered that from Amazon
2. The game was not able to be put up for pre-order/pre-load because a deadline was missed

I waited, and DIDN'T pre-order a physical copy, because we were told it would include both packs

im gonna hold out being too upset at this point (especially since im still stuck at work for another hour (and then another 45 min drive home...so they have time to figure it out before i even get home to play it lol...

ValfarHL

With this being a very detailed sim, does it feel lifeless? Is it very difficult?

I find myself pushing my back into the seat when accelerating hard of out corners, so no, it's not what I would call lifeless. :)

The difficulty depends on what aids you choose to use. With a wheel, the best experience for me is with most aids off. I still use ABS, though.

If you like/love the driving model Forza or Gran Turismo, you will probably like this.

Remember that the career mode doesn't grant prizes such as money or new cars. All tracks and cars are unlocked from the start.

This is a pure driving game, with a shiiitload of real life settings for the cars you drive. If you want loud hip hop music, big shiny popups, hand holding..this game is not for you.

If you love driving fast, chasing that perfect lap, and shaving seconds of your time...this game is for you. :)

ohkay

If this game had support for the driving force gt for ps4 this would be a buy for me, but I don't think I could ever go back to playing racing games without a wheel

I find myself pushing my back into the seat when accelerating hard of out corners, so no, it's not what I would call lifeless. :)

The difficulty depends on what aids you choose to use. With a wheel, the best experience for me is with most aids off. I still use ABS, though.

If you like/love the driving model Forza or Gran Turismo, you will probably like this.

Remember that the career mode doesn't grant prizes such as money or new cars. All tracks and cars are unlocked from the start.

This is a pure driving game, with a shiiitload of real life settings for the cars you drive. If you want loud hip hop music, big shiny popups, hand holding..this game is not for you.

If you love driving fast, chasing that perfect lap, and shaving seconds of your time...this game is for you. :)

Yeah I feel like this is what Driveclub should have been, full sim rather than simcade. The driving feels very rewarding, there is a learning curve that just feels "right". It's more like Forza or GT if you took out the money progression and gated tracks. The driving is its own reward because it feels so good. I have never felt like I was cheated out of a win because of the AI or some bullshit, it all comes down to skill.

also purchased!

NOW...it automatically gave me the "Limited Edition" upgrade...but IIRC, SMS said that we would also get the pre-order "modified" car pack as well...anyone know how to get that?

i will also be more than a bit annoyed if this turns out to be the case, as its no fault of ours that:

1. There was no physical limited edition to buy in the US, or i would have preordered that from Amazon
2. I waited, and DIDN'T pre-order a physical copy, because we were told it would include both packs

im gonna hold out being too upset at this point (especially since im still stuck at work for another hour (and then another 45 min drive home...so they have time to figure it out before i even get home to play it lol...

We can still BUY the modified car pack, but as you know we were specifically told that the digital version would come with both so I waited just as you did. If I have to buy one anyway, I'd rather have the physical version. But since I have no stores around me that will be carrying it, I have to place my order at Amazon again to have it shipped to me. Was so excited to finally dig into this game today.

Metfanant

We can still BUY the modified car pack, but as you know we were specifically told that the digital version would come with both so I waited just as you did. If I have to buy one anyway, I'd rather have the physical version. But since I have no stores around me that will be carrying it, I have to place my order at Amazon again to have it shipped to me. Was so excited to finally dig into this game today.

im pretty sure SMS will make good on this, so im not too worried. I would also PREFER a physical copy as well, which is why i wish they had just released a limited edition here in the US as well....

Top Bottom