• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Any ps4 users able to get people to join/see their created mp lobby ok? Whatever I try, it's never visible, tho I can invite people in ok. Nat 2 so no problem there.

It's showing up at the NA PS Store, GAF tell me if you found the game/handling fun while racing on the dualshock4, it would help me decide if I should get it

It's showing up at the NA PS Store, GAF tell me if you found the game/handling fun while racing on the dualshock4, it would help me decide if I should get it

Cars handle well with the DS4 (with the help of the assists on cars that naturally have them) Cart racing is pretty dreadful so far though.

Just need a few more encouraging replies like yours and I am all set to purchase it by tonight.

I was pretty on the fence about it myself. But after about 10 races while the game was installing I was already in love. It's really solid. I'm not enjoying carts (others seem to love them) but it's a different kind of racing and I'm sure if I went in and further tweaked the controls for the carts it would be fine.

I was pretty on the fence about it myself. But after about 10 races while the game was installing I was already in love. It's really solid. I'm not enjoying carts (others seem to love them) but it's a different kind of racing and I'm sure if I went in and further tweaked the controls for the carts it would be fine.

I was on the fence with Driveclub in the last minute and then the weather update that hit the game in December immediately motivated me to get it, and till this day Driveclub remains as my most played game. Such a thrilling experience Driveclub is on the Dualshock4. It's been a long long time since I played track/circuit based racing games.

Anybody have some basic controller setups for PS4? I see people saying Carts definitely need some tweaking. Just wondering what basic assists or tinkering would be recommended for a somewhat novice driver.

Fox Mulder

Anybody have some basic controller setups for PS4? I see people saying Carts definitely need some tweaking. Just wondering what basic assists or tinkering would be recommended for a somewhat novice driver.

Honestly, I think the karts are a poor thing to start with since they're so twitchy. I just skipped them in career and jumped into open wheel cars.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
The full game is still downloading. That said, I did a quick race and first impressions are very positive. Everything just feels right even on a game pad. Road/touring cars are really my niche so I'll really be into it when it finishes downloading but even the the LM car was a blast to drive.

Has there been any word on them adding more road/production cars (specifically) down the line?

All I want on my HUD are the current race position and laps, and the gear/tires display. But for some reason the position/laps element doesn't show up at all. When I hit pause and go into HUD options, it's there, but not in the actual race. Any ideas why?

Edit - ah somehow my HUD got changed from full to lite, switching it back fixed it

OK here's what I discovered about the car after doing about 20 laps. It feels... fine? Turn-in is a bit slower than expected and benefitted from stiffening the front suspension a couple of notches, but that's all really. Obviously with a car like this and with TC off you'll need to be careful powering out of any corner, are you sure you weren't prodding the throttle too early without realising?
No, no throttle at all. I meant at the end of braking into a corner.
I hit the brakes, wheel centered, if I start turning the wheel even in the slightest before having the foot completely off the brake, my rear starts spinning. Same happens with my wheel not turned at all if the road is uneven/tilted and the turning is induced that way. The car feels safe while braking, it's always just at the end. I tested this on Brands Hatch and Silverstone National and just couldn't get rid of it.
Maybe it's just my bad driving habits, but I don't feel like I could ever nail a good lap time with the BAC Mono. The Caterhams and Ariel Atoms, that usually are considered hard to drive by casual racing game players, feel great and not hard at all to be fast with. *sigh* I really was looking forward to finally driving a BAC Mono in a Sim that is also on consoles.

Edit:
The BAC Mono is one of the finest cars in the game. You need to break sooner than with other cars and take the corners in acceleration, but keeping your rear in place. It's tricky, yetvery satisfying.
On some tacks there is a flow to to turning, straightening up, braking hard and immediately turning and accelerating again. I would need additional brakepoints before those spots then... not easy. Could feel rewarding to train myself just get faster with this one car though. I guess I'll give it another try and let you know if I came out a better driver.

AmyS

Anybody tried NASCAR racing with sunny skies, no rain and what's the framerate like on PS4 with no weather effects ?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Fired up the game with the thrustmaster tx. What a difference. It plays really poorly on the x1 with a pad, no matter what config settings I seem to try, but the wheel works great. I hope SMS patches the pad controls quickly, the default especially leaves a very bad first impression

DirtyLarry

So I own a Thrustmaster T80 for the PS4. It is pretty much the cheapest wheel you can get for the PS4 (cheap is a relative term here, it is the least expensive wheel peripheral, but still more than a game).
So far I am really enjoying the game and I am doing the career from the beginning and as such am doing the carts.
Although the wheel itself does not have rumble or force feedback, it is very damn responsive. I feel like I am no doubt driving realistically.
I tried using a controller and I was just all over the damn place. With the carts.
The difference was night and day.
If there are other people out there like me, who just could not see spending the price of damn near an entire console just for a wheel, but were also very hesitant to purchase a cheap wheel because it lacks features, let me assure you my purchase was very, very much worth it. Zero regrets.

The_D

Neo Member
I've spent 4 hours dialing in the FFB so far and still am not quite happy, but I'm getting close.

There is a good racing game here though. I am sure I will be playing this for a long time if they fix the control/UI/glitch issues that exist currently. The physics/sound/A.I. all seem pretty good.

I got my setup completed the other day with the T3PA-Pro pedals:

0zQvEskk.jpg

So I own a Thrustmaster T80 for the PS4. It is pretty much the cheapest wheel you can get for the PS4 (cheap is a relative term here, it is the least expensive wheel peripheral, but still more than a game).
So far I am really enjoying the game and I am doing the career from the beginning and as such am doing the carts.
Although the wheel itself does not have rumble or force feedback, it is very damn responsive. I feel like I am no doubt driving realistically.
I tried using a controller and I was just all over the damn place. With the carts.
The difference was night and day.
If there are other people out there like me, who just could not see spending the price of damn near an entire console just for a wheel, but were also very hesitant to purchase a cheap wheel because it lacks features, let me assure you my purchase was very, very much worth it. Zero regrets.

So are you saying the car handling is fun and definitely enjoyable even played on the dualshock4?

TheMan

had a tough time trying to get a hold of this. Left the hospital late cause I was studying for an upcoming board exam- drove to gamestop 1 not realizing they closed at 7. -drove to gamestop 2 not realizing they close at 8- drove to gamestop 3, find out they only got 5 copies to fulfill preorders and that's it. This gamestop was right next to a walmart, but no dice...walmart doesn't get copies till next tuesday.

fuck.

DirtyLarry

So are you saying the car handling is fun and definitely enjoyable even played on the dualshock4?
You are being sarcastic right? I hope so, but in case you are not being, what I was saying that for my own experience, the difference between the controller and the wheel, even the cheapest one available, was night and day. That means completely opposite. The wheel was positive. The controller not so much.

Now make no mistake about it, I am sure if I played with and tried one of the hundreds of suggested controller settings out there I am sure I could get to a point the controller was enjoyable.

I am talking first impressions. Out the box. The wheel felt good. Very good, and it is not the best wheel you can get.

And I would imagine there has to be a couple of people like me, who enjoy the racing genre, but are not diehard about it. Who just want a wheel to experience the game the way I believe it should be experienced, but also do not want to spend $300+ to experience it that way.
So for those people like myself, the T80 is a very happy medium. It does the job, and much better than I had hoped tbh.

Would I love to one day get a proper wheel? Absolutely.
However I am completely content with the T80 right now and in fact I am even glad that I own it.

Cool, thanks man. I got one as a gift and hopped in here hoping to see some impressions on it with this game. Glad to see it does the job. Had a lot of fun using it in #DC.
Not a problem. Glad someone found it helpful. I know the T80 gets shit on by the enthusiasts of the genre, but for myself, someone who is definitely not an enthusiast, it really serves its purpose damn well.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
You are being sarcastic right? I hope so, but in case you are not being, what I was saying that for my own experience, the difference between the controller and the wheel, even the cheapest one available, was night and day. That means completely opposite. The wheel was positive. The controller not so much.

Now make no mistake about it, I am sure if I played with and tried one of the hundreds of suggested controller settings out there I am sure I could get to a point the controller was enjoyable.

I am talking first impressions. Out the box. The wheel felt good. Very good, and it is not the best wheel you can get.

And I would imagine there has to be a couple of people like me, who enjoy the racing genre, but are not diehard about it. Who just want a wheel to experience the game the way I believe it should be experienced, but also do not want to spend $300+ to experience it that way.
So for those people like myself, the T80 is a very happy medium. It does the job, and much better than I had hoped tbh.

However I am completely content with the T80 right now and in fact I am even glad that I own it.

Not a problem. Glad someone found it helpful. I know the T80 gets shit on by the enthusiasts of the genre, but for myself, someone who is definitely not an enthusiast, it really serves its purpose damn well.

I'll echo this. Last gen I bought the ms brand wireless wheel for the 360. It wasn't a great wheel but it took my enjoyment of racers to the next level.

Of course not sir, why would I be sarcastic when my finger is on the purchase trigger waiting to pull it. You had mentioned in your previous post that your driving was all over the place on cart races, thus I was asking if you found out other race cars fun to play with on the controller. I don't have the convenience of playing it on a racing wheel, thus I am trying to find out if it's fun on the dualshock4.

stewy

Spent about an hour playing with the controller and really hating the feel. Feels like a twitchy mess.

I have a fanatec wheel that is apparently supported on the PS4 version but can't for the life of me figure out how to get the game to recognize the wheel. I have to be missing something obvious.

Trojan X

Banned
Been playing on the PC with a DS4 and I'm enjoying it. Only tried some hot laps before switching to the steam guide for controls, but after doing that, it controls as well as any other racing game with its own minute details in the physics engine.

Project CARS - Controller Setting Guide

Seriously! The devs should be more supportive to the community with these types of things by providing a video about it and much much more. In fact, they should go one step better, select a youtube channel who has got the game down to a T and is great at talking (there are some incredibly badass videos here) and pay them to lead the social media space, and provide platforms (their official website, their own youtube channel, etc) to communicate and spearhead the videos further. The game is about the community so they should be focusing heavily on that to the point that all mainstream medias picks up and talks about it, and getting actual drivers involved and them some. By doing nothing, they are losing opportunities.

aro52

On PS4 dualshock I'm using the settings below (posted earlier) and very happy. Only addition is turning on steering assist too...at least for now. Try that with the Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe DTM on Nordschliefe and let me know what you think....

u7DV6ibm.jpg

Using these controls, I find it controlling fine with a DS4. Just finished my first Formula Rookie event, and it felt VERY Gran Turismo to me. Maybe it's just how those low level formula cars handle, but that's how it felt.

I am excited for my wheel stand to arrive though. Need to break in this T300!

Ranger X

Question....

Is there an option in the game to remove the splattering crap on screen? I saw a gameplay video that made me vomit. Cockpit under the rain, even if I was behind a windshield, there was drops on screen. I am so tired of this shit.

Orca

The sound cuts out completely in my headphones if I go off the track even the slightest, contact another car, or get the tires broken loose. Can't figure out why.

Yeah, same here. Nobody here recommends it because the super expensive one is a thousand times better but holy hell is it way more fun driving with a non force feedback wheel than a controller. Can't wait to give it a go with the this game now.

Fox Mulder

Yeah, same here. Nobody here recommends it because the super expensive one is a thousand times better but holy hell is it way more fun driving with a non force feedback wheel than a controller. Can't wait to give it a go with the this game now.

I even liked the wireless speed wheel on the 360. It was laughed off as a Wii wheel, but it was fun for what it was and was cheap.

waters10

Neo Member
I even liked the wireless speed wheel on the 360. It was laughed off as a Wii wheel, but it was fun for what it was and was cheap.

That cheap speed wheel was awesome for the price! Super responsive! The only bad part was that it didn't have all the buttons, and no headset port. I can't believe Sony or MS doesn't have something like that for this gen. I will always prefer a wheel, but that was such a cheap alternative ...

But anyway, finally played this game on PS4, using my fanatec wheel. Huge huge deadzone ... I messed with the settings and found something at least playable. They really need to fix this problem!

Other than that, handling in this game is so different than Assetto Corsa! I'm not going to argue which one is more realistic, but all I can say is that I felt much more at home with AC. I feel like I'm always turning late and missing the apexes on pCars. After about an hour, I was able to start hitting the apex a bit more, but I had to train my brain to turn in earlier. I may have to play with FOV, to see if that's messing my perception!

nikos

Ok so these settings are the ones I've stuck with now. Better than all others I've tried. DS4 PS4 here. Give them a go and let me know.

Control configuration.

Steering deadzone - 15
Steering sensitivity - 20
Throttle deadzone - 10
Throttle sensitivity - 30
Brake deadzone - 10
Brake sensitivity - 15
Clutch deadzone - 10
Clutch sensitivity - 45
Speed sensitivity - 65
Controller filtering sensitivity - 30
Force Feedback - 100
Controller input mode - 3
Advanced - Off

Field of view.

Hood camera - 70
Cockpit camera - 77
Helmet camera - 70

Movement.

High speed shake - on
World movement - 100
G-force effect - 50
Show helmet - no
Helmet depth of field - no
Helmet look to apex - 0
Helmet leaning - 75
Camera leaning - 75

Extra.

Steering assist - off
Braking assist - off
Traction control - off
Stability control - off

I switch between mostly cockpit and helmet cam depending on how far back I am in the cockpit. Essentially using them as two cockpit views, with slightly different FOV's.

Just used these settings (slightly tweaked) for a good four hours on PS4. They feel great with every car I've used so far. Thanks for sharing!

Question....

Is there an option in the game to remove the splattering crap on screen? I saw a gameplay video that made me vomit. Cockpit under the rain, even if I was behind a windshield, there was drops on screen. I am so tired of this shit.

There are options to disable Rain Drops and Screen Dirt.

I've spent 4 hours dialing in the FFB so far and still am not quite happy, but I'm getting close.

There is a good racing game here though. I am sure I will be playing this for a long time if they fix the control/UI/glitch issues that exist currently. The physics/sound/A.I. all seem pretty good.

I got my setup completed the other day with the T3PA-Pro pedals:

0zQvEskk.jpg

SWEET setup. Got my TX wheel in today and love it so far. How do those pedals feel compared to the stock that came with the wheel?

Spent most of the day tunning, updating firmware and running practice laps. I think I'm close finding a sweet spot.

The_D

Neo Member
SWEET setup. Got my TX wheel in today and love it so far. How do those pedals feel compared to the stock that came with the wheel?

Spent most of the day tunning, updating firmware and running practice laps. I think I'm close find a sweet spot.
The feel of the brakes with the conical mod is much better compared to the stock brake. You will improve your lap times and make fewer mistakes, without a doubt. The T3PA-Pro is also very heavy and solid. The regular T3PA are very similar in function other than not being invertible.

waters10

Neo Member
What's you camera view?

Cockpit.

I just changed my FOV to 65 and it felt so much better! I'm a big proponent of realistic FOV, so I may change it to something even lower. I'm using a 23" monitor right behind my wheel for pcars. Most of my racing in AC is with the rift DK2.

The feel of the brakes with the conical mod is much better compared to the stock brake. You will improve your lap times and make fewer mistakes, without a doubt. The T3PA-Pro is also very heavy and solid. The regular T3PA are very similar in function other than not being invertible.

Appreciate the insight. How does the shifter feel?

Is there a good, cheap wheel that has force feedback? I loved using the Logitech GT wheel on my ps3 for gran turismo. Only $150 for a FFB was awesome. Doesn't seem like there is a wheel this gen for that price range, unless I'm just missing it.

Top Bottom