• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

MGR

I'm pretty sure I only ever lose FFB when switching between my wheel and the DS4 when responding to party/game invites when racing online, or sometimes when joining a new lobby. I might be wrong but I don't *think* I've ever lost FFB during an offline race.

My symptoms are different.

It's like hitting some sort of invisible wall or bump or something. Anything from a bump with loud (in-game) bang to the car flipping and wrecking on the spot. I think I've saved a couple of the wrecks so I'll gif them if I get a chance.

Using Thrustmaster T300RS btw on PS4.

brentech

Great start wow, well done. Does the PS4 version have that camera-in-camera viewing option? I've never seen that in a racing game.

Oh, that's not the game doing that.
I recorded myself playing in the cockpit view. Then, afterwards, recorded the replay view of the race. Used Adobe Premiere to drop the picture in picture box.

_machine

I sure hope so, wonder what the time frame is for the console patch release?
I'm guessing PS4 should land within a week and MS has been a bit less predictable with cert these days, but hopefully before the end of next week. Just my guesses though, not even the developers get any ETA on these things and cert is bit of a mystery (like with the last patch MS discovered a bug that was there since the release and they hadn't tested for it before, but then it was a nearly a dealbreaker)

Going to see tonight if the rain racing AI has improved, I'm still learning to drive with a wheel and won't be using automatic anymore either so I've dropped the AI level some more so I can't say I've had any issues with it outside of rain conditions.

Firstly, the ones in the box doesn't really exist if a car has a specific brand. For example, the BAC Mono has two choices: Kumho V70a Prime and Kumho V70a Supersoft
You'll always get one of these two when you pit depending on what you choose during a pitstop. The Prime is the harder one, Supersoft obviously the softer.
I know that you get Supersoft when you choose Soft or Medium, Prime when choosing Hard.

I don't know for rain/Full Wet, because i always take Soft with this Car which is the supersoft. Both work in Rain and Supersoft works much better in dry and rain. If a car has only one kind of Rain tyre, you'll always get it when choosing Full Wet/Rain/Intermediate. With this in mind:

- Pirelli P Zero: High profile street tyre.
- Pirelli P Zero Corsa: Sports tyre with normal profile.
- Pirelli P Zero Trofeo: Racing Slick with very low profile

- (Masculin/Faretti) UHP Summer: Comparable with P Zero.
- (Mascullin/Faretti) XR (Extrem) Summer: Comparable with P Zero Corsa.
- (Masculin/Faretti) Track: Comparable with P Zero Trofeo.

That's what i know so far, hope it helps.
Excellent, thanks.

kie25

Be interested to hear of any feedback from the AI on the patched PC version..........

I've already seen a screenshot that the track limits are still broken, hopefully it is just 1 they missed, it's the Dubai international 1 I remember it from having to beat a cheating idiot on TT who was doing it, took me awhile to beat without cheating but I did eventually.

Mascot

I've already seen a screenshot that the track limits are still broken, hopefully it is just 1 they missed, it's the Dubai international 1 I remember it from having to beat a cheating idiot on TT who was doing it, took me awhile to beat without cheating but I did eventually.

I saw a thread on WMD in which one of the devs responded directly to that and said he couldn't replicate it on either PC or PS4. He was getting correct penalties for cutting corners at Dubai. There was thought that the guy who posted the pics was either on an out lap or was going so slowly (for photographing) that the penalties didn't trigger. Going wide at corners and leaving the track on straights aren't penalised for 'racing reasons', apparently. Only cutting corners for time advantage are, which makes sense.

danowat

Banned
I did the community event at Dubai last night and was surprised just how much off track you can take without getting a penalty, any time there are 4 wheels off the track you should get a penalty.

On the subject about penalties, they are next to a waste of time in races, as even if you get multiple off track warnings, you (at least I never do) get a penalty for it.

_machine

Glad to see they are working on getting better integration for DLC content into the career:
All the cars are usable in career, they're just limited to invitational events currently. We have a task on the to do list to add the ability to have career contracts as part of a DLC. We can't currently do that because the contract would be accessible for people without the cars also, which would cause all sorts of problems. The plan is to have this feature in place for future DLC, and we can then add contracts for the already released DLC cars as well.
Yeah, this is one is just bizarre, everything in the UI works with a pad setup/controls - everything except being able to exit the game, i don't get how this hasn't been fixed in so long.
Yeah, that's a weird one since I'm fairly certain that it was in for quite some time during the development and it's not like the game doesn't have yes/no prompts to avoid misclicks.

EDIT: Ian on more AI improvements:
Ahh, missed that sorry.

Yes, I'm sure we did tweak the 'red mist' reactions a bit. For this patch we focused more on the 'dive bombing the player' issue and we tweaked passing aggression to improve that. We still have our resident AI only guy working full time on it though. So more improvements will follow.

Just read that it's not 2.0. Things are a bit better but the above might still happen on occasion.
Hopefully increased difficulty range and per car/track combination balance will be on the list.

EDIT No2:
Set it to 5x or even 10x to guarantee the changeover. Also we are looking into more weather information for the player in future patches.

TJP

First car mod (PC only) is available on Race Department: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/2012-pagani-zonda-r-evolution.6631/

Autoprophet-ZR released the first car mod for Project Cars, the 2012 Pagani Zonda R Evolution. Converted from my Zonda R Evo mod for Shift 2. Added models, liveries, physics editing, game file unpacking all by myself.

This mod was made only to prove pCARS is completely moddable just like the Need For Speed Shift series. Though I may not have time to work on another one, this mod can serve as a template with which you can create many more mods. Enjoy!

brentech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uuo68lDVaAM

Did a 3 lap race at Sonoma Raceway Short with 30 cars of multi-class.
Things got hectic real fast, but after the sketchy start I was mostly able to keep clean. The AI was really killing each other though, particularly that first lap.

It's making events like this that I am just loving about this game.

Mascot

This mod was made only to prove pCARS is completely moddable just like the Need For Speed Shift series. Though I may not have time to work on another one, this mod can serve as a template with which you can create many more mods. Enjoy!

Ooh. Interesting possibilities. Anyone investigating track mods for pCARS..?

_machine

Didn't have time to test it out myself yesterday, but at least there are positive comments about the AI improvements on the official forum:
I like! 2 wheels on the curb is in 95% of the time the right way to do it. I guess when this is implemented you need to wipe the leaderboards though. Also any hope on a fair restart of the SMS championship with those changes? Also give your coding guys a big kudos from me for the AI improvements. Since 1.0 it is a huge step. Obviously it is not perfect (AI will never be as good as racing humans) but for the guys complaining about the AI still they should play AC or GT for once. They will come back asap and race these AI with a smile on their face.
To which Doug commented:
The AI improvements were all me *using* the magic paramters the amazing ChrisF had given me all along. Nothing new. We worked together to come up with the parameters that are there and the behaviour they cause before release. All i did was sit down and take a clean look at it again testing, testing, testing (and bugging the crap out of Stephen V to try it). I usually look at these things as if it were me making the decisions given the code limits ( having raced myself for almost 15 years), where i would X, and Y. etc. to make it more human. And try to correlate that to the paramters i have been given. It aint perfect, and it ain't easy. But glad you like it
I'll try it out tonight, though I'm not sure if my feedback will be of any use to you guys since I race at such a slow speeds and the Clio Cup.

Mascot

Didn't have time to test it out myself yesterday, but at least there are positive comments about the AI improvements on the official forum:

To which Doug commented:

I'll try it out tonight, though I'm not sure if my feedback will be of any use to you guys since I race at such a slow speeds and the Clio Cup.

Good to hear. Experiences with AI are so bloody subjective though. I've no doubt a lot of AI complaints are there to mask the driving habits, aggression and general inadequacies of the complaining player. Looking forward to trying the patch when it arrives on PS4 though - albeit with slight trepidation and expectations firmly in check.

fresquito

Good to hear. Experiences with AI are so bloody subjective though. I've no doubt a lot of AI complaints are there to mask the driving habits, aggression and general inadequacies of the complaining player. Looking forward to trying the patch when it arrives on PS4 though - albeit with slight trepidation and expectations firmly in check.
Agreed. It always cracks me when I see a video of someone driving like a jerk and complaining about the bad AI. Some people need to revise their I, before talking about the A.

So I'm doing a career of 7% races, because life, and having been invited to compete at Le Mans I find that the shortest race distance I can do is 2 hours. TWO HOURS!

Urgh.

Talking about Le Mans, what do you have to do to be invited to race it?

I'm thinking of get back to my carreer and proceed until I get invited. Then, I'll wait the 2.0 patch, which should fix the crashing on invisible stuff around La Sarthe, to do it.

ironcreed

Banned
How does this game feel compared to Forza and GT? I have been tempted to try it out, but I am just not sure with Forza 6 on the Horizon.

xrnzaaas

Talking about Le Mans, what do you have to do to be invited to race it?

I think the general idea is to participate in as many events during a season as possible. Winning invitational events probably helps as well, but since the career is very long you will probably get a Le Mans invitation sooner or later.

ironcreed

Banned
Picked it up on PS4 and am loving it. The environment detail is not the best, but the tracks, cars, weather and drivers look great. It also feels really smooth and the cars have a nice sense of weight proper to what you are driving. I would put it up there with Forza and GT for sure.

danowat

Banned
I think the general idea is to participate in as many events during a season as possible. Winning invitational events probably helps as well, but since the career is very long you will probably get a Le Mans invitation sooner or later.

Le Mans 24hr is also the final race in the historic C1 invitational event.

I got it on my third season, but you obviously need the Sauber C9 DLC.

Just picked it up on Xbox, so far liking what I see. Scratches a little of that gran turismo itch I've been having lately.

Btw I think I'm doing something wrong when I pit. All my tires blow upon exiting the pit!

It's gotta be something stupid obvious I'm doing.

danowat

Banned
Just picked it up on Xbox, so far liking what I see. Scratches a little of that gran turismo itch I've been having lately.

Btw I think I'm doing something wrong when I pit. All my tires blow upon exiting the pit!

It's gotta be something stupid obvious I'm doing.

It's a bug, but it's (supposedly) been fixed in 2.0 which is currently in MS/Sony certification.

danowat

Banned
Any way around it or am I screwed until the patch? Does it only happen to certain people, because this is only the second race and I can't advance further?

I think the work around is to adjust the tyre pressures by 0.1bar in the pit setup menu when you pit.

Tried and everything works great. Uploading a video right now with 2 laps on Laguna Seca, one dry and one with rain, will make an edit when ready. Haven't played PCARS for 2 weeks so these laps may be a little sluggish, just drove until i got two acceptable laps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wlnHD6XFNI

Nice. Does it drive similar to something from pCARS or something from Shift?

Knowing it supports the pCARS-only features is a pretty big deal. I wonder how long before we have Supras and Porsches converted.

EDIT: I just did something I shouldn't have done:
XGfTcns.jpg

xrnzaaas

OK, thanks for the update. I'll probably wait until the patch anyway since it's supposedly going to fix so many annoying things. :)

_machine

Nice. Does it drive similar to something from pCARS or something from Shift?
It doesn't sound like it's necessarily a very well done mod though, just because of the changes in the engine that make some of the physics a bit of guessing:
So, the same approach was taken to open up the game as S2U, meaning the boot files were dummied out (other BFF files copied/renamed as BOOTFLOW, PHYSICSBOOTFLOW, and PHYSICSPERSISTENT), BFF files unpacked/renamed and placed into proper folders.

The big concern with applying this mod is that there is no guarantee that the tyre HDT.bin file names are correctly named. There is nothing in the coded HDT.bin files that gives a clue to a proper filename. As an example, one HDT.bin is named "0000a000.hdt" when PHYSICSBOOTFLOW is unpacked and opening with a hex editor gives no Ascii filename within the code. Opening the file named 0002e000.xml (which is tyreshd.xml) gives you a list of HDT filenames, but again no way to link with all of the unpacked alpha-numeric HDT filenames.

So, unless the modder has insider info as to how those unpacked HDT.bin files are to be named, he just guessed (to be able to release his mod). If the modder just took a guess at the file names, the original cars could be using the wrong unpacked HDT.bin file when the mod is applied. There are also some other physics related files which would require a guess as to the filename (some could be sorted out by decoding, while others cannot).

The next issue is that all of the physics files are now coded. So, wading through all of the code for the addresses to setup default mass, inertia, friction, spring, bump, rebound, suspension geometry, gearbox, engines, etc, becomes a real chore. Most modders will simply copy the physics files of the original cars and change little or nothing, which doesn't make for a quality addon car.

So, I recommend using caution when using this mod. Because I suspect that guesswork was involved in naming some of the physics files. Meaning, the physics of original cars can be impacted if the unpacked physics files are assigned the wrong file names.

On top of that, many modders fail to include all of the LOD models. They simply use the high poly model for all LOD levels, which is an FPS killer with a full field of similar cars.

To really have a quality car, tools would be needed to create/edit all physics files to make it less of a chore to setup the default physics of a car. Also, there are probably parameters added/removed in various physics files (compared to what existed in S2U).

Whenever SMS patches the game and revises either BOOTFLOW, PHYSICSBOOTFLOW, or PHYSICSPERSISTENT, one would have to unpack the BFF(s) and go through the process of renaming files and tossing them into the correct folders. So, it's probably best to wait until they stop patching the game to start modding it.

My 2 cents.
I haven't really delved deep into the modding so I have no knowledge of how the work in reality though.

_machine

So PS4 patch 2.0 should be going live shortly, final patch notes:
Hi all,

Here are the PS4 specific release notes for patch 2.0 that should be going live very shortly.

Project CARS – PS4 Patch 2.0 – Release Notes

Online & Community Events
* Multiplayer search filter 'Skill' now finds games based upon certain lobby game configuration criteria. For example, “Pro” setting now searches for Full Damage or manual-start Engine or Forced Cockpit or Mechanical Failure, and so forth.
* Community events page – when an event cannot be entered, it will now display the reason why: ‘Coming Soon’ along with a countdown, or ‘Expired’.
* Online – Ensure that vehicle light repairs are synchronized in MP races so that repaired headlights are visible by other racers.
* Fixed an issue where, after the PS4 resumes from Rest Mode, no network features can be used.

Controls
* Adjustments made to the gears system, to prevent gears being skipped under certain conditions. This addresses an issue where gears would at times jump straight down to 1st, potentially causing engine blowouts.
* Steering wheels – reduced the centering rate of the steering spring. This improves the feel of steering wheels at very low speeds.
* Added support for the use of all active controllers for menu input. You can for example now use a steering wheel to race, and a gamepad to control the menus and photo mode.
* Gear shifters – when using an H-shifter on a car that has a sequential gearbox, the gearbox will now switch through the gears until the gear selected on the H-shifter is reached.
* Fixed an issue in Force Feedback calibration that would prevent a player from setting "Soft Clipping (Half Input)" back to 0 after modifying it from the original value.
* Thrustmaster T100 Force Feedback improvements.
* Fixed the Force Feedback dynamics for wheels with physical steering locks which were less than the steering lock of the vehicle in-game. This fixes the Force Feedback on the Thrustmaster T100 and similar wheels.
* Added a Motion Sensor controller profile.
* Fixed a crash issue when disconnecting and reconnecting Fanatec wheels.
* Enable support for USB keyboards to be used for in-game controls.

Physics & AI
* Slowed down the AI opponents in the rain when using racing tyres, to make racing against them better balanced.
* Adjusted the AI tyre wear rate to better match the player’s tyre wear rate.
* Adjusted wear of Slicks and Rain tires to more realistic levels where needed. Typically GT/LMP/Formula cars will get slightly more than a full fuel load on soft or default slicks (depending on fuel load amounts).
* Adjusted the heating of slicks and rain tyres to more realistic levels.
* Adjusted tyre temperature sensitivity on several cars.
* Adjusted rain tyres to generally be more sensitive to overheating, and less efficient in the dry.
* Improvements to AI navigation to lessen collisions during cramped race starts, improve detection of other cars during cornering, and improve clean overtaking
* Improved the AI pitting logic during practice and qualifying so that the AI cars run more realistic stints before pitting.
* Reworked the AI’s fuelling logic during qualifying sessions where no refuelling is allowed, so that they don’t always fill up the fuel tanks and negatively impact their qualifying ability. The AI will now deliver far more competitive lap times during qualifying.
* Fixed an issue where the AI would set impossible lap times during races with pit stops.
* The AI will now pit as soon as possible when low on fuel to prevent them running out of fuel and retiring from the race.
* Reduced the effect of damage to the car’s cooling system when suffering aero damage. This prevents engines from overheating and blowing at an unrealistic rate.
* Fixed an issue that prevented bump starts from working properly on some cars. An example case – with gears and clutch set to manual, take an Ariel Atom out on Brands Hatch. At the first right hander, stall the car, ignition on, 2nd gear, roll down the hill up to about 15kph and drop the clutch. The car will now bump start. Exact conditions for a successful bump start will vary slightly by car.
* Fixed an issue where at times some AI drivers in a race would use much higher skill levels than the rest of the field.
* Fixed an issue that prevented the AI from pitting within the final 3 laps of a race
* Further tweaked the AI ability in wet races to more closely match the player car’s ability in the wet
* Improved the AI’s efficiency in pit timing when needing to change tyres due to weather conditions.

Pitting, tuning, setups
* Fixed an issue where wet tyres were fitted too long before the rain starts, causing excessive overheating and wear on the tyres.
* Fixed an issue where, when running low on fuel, the Pit Board would appear to tell the player to do a scheduled pit stop when the player did not schedule a pit stop.
* Fixed an issue where flat tyres were fitted to the car during a pit stop, by ensuring that the tyres are correctly inflated.
* Fixed an issue where the car’s bump-stop value decreased after leaving a race session and joining it again.
* Reworked the brake bias display information so that changing the values is more intuitive.

Tracks
* Performance optimisation pass done on: Brands Hatch layouts, Cadwell layouts, Oulton Park layouts, Bathurst, Azure circuit, and Zolder. This helps improve the overall smoothness when racing on these tracks with large grids of cars.
* Track cutting tolerances reduced on all tracks where it was too forgiving.
* Fixed an issue where a pit crew character would at times appear floating above the race track on various tracks.
* Silverstone Stowe – fixed render issues on some tyre stacks, and addressed an issue with cars driving through certain objects.
* Road America – fixed an issue where a line of grass line appeared in the air near a concrete barrier.
* Spa Francorchamps – fixed an issue where cars under AI control would bump into the pit wall when exiting the pit lane. Fixed an issue where the AI were running too wide over the exit curb at the Bus Stop Chicane.
* Brno – fixed an issue where cars would at times start in the same grid positions, fixed garage six to prevent the AI from getting stuck on the right side wall when exiting the garage spot, fixed an issue when running more than 20 cars in a race would cause the car in 21st to slide into the pits.
* Le Mans – fixed an issue that would at times cause the car to crash while in the pit lane, leading to a disqualification. Improved the AI race line for better speed, and improved the AI behaviour on curbs.
* Laguna Seca – improved the AI performance as they were running too slow in some sections.
* Imola – Improved the pit lane AI navigation, and fixed an issue with a section of the fence at the pit entrance that appear to float.
* Bathurst - fixed a render issue with shimmering edges in parts of the track.

Career
* Added a new RUF RGT8 GT3 contract to ensure that the player can enter the RUF GT3 series on contract renewal and not just when starting a new career.
* Fixed the unlock details for the Supercar Ardennes Club Day Invitational.
* Fixed an issue where skipping the session during a race caused the player to move up in the session results.

Vehicles
* Group 5 cars – adjusted the gearshift timing tolerances to fix an issue with the gearing when pausing and restarting a session.
* Gumpert Apollo – fixed an issue with the livery sets that caused the livery selection to display wrong liveries.
* Aston Martin Vantage GT3 – tuned engine lifetime and brake cooling parameters for better accuracy.
* Lotus 98T – tweaked turbo to improve AI estimation of top speed.
* McLaren F1 GTR – modified the default setup and reduced front bump steer to improve straight line stability, fixed an issue to ensure that the car’s specific HUD motec display is used
* McLaren F1 - Fixed an issue that caused the car to use the wrong default tyre compound.
* Ford GT40 MK4 – Reworked in several areas to improve handling and match the real car closer - Bump stops settings exposed in setup with better tuned setup defaults, increased wrap around stiffness of the tire carcass, rebalanced base vs tear grip, rebalanced player vs AI rain performance against the AI.
* All Formula vehicles – Stop brake light reflections appearing on cars that don’t have brake lights.

General
* Fixed an issue where the player position would at times change to last when player crosses the starting line during rolling starts.
* Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash when selecting the ‘Edit Tuning Setup’ option in the ‘PIT BOX’ screen.
* Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash while watching a saved replay.
* Driver Network Profile – fixed an issue where entering Free Practice mode would count toward Races Entered.
* Fixed an issue that required the game to first restart after installing an in-game DLC before the DLC would be available for use.
* Audio – rebalanced the volume of skid sounds to make them a bit more audible.
* Updated the achievement "I am the 5%" to ensure that it can be achieved in non-Pro-modes as well.
* Fixed a game crash issue caused by an overflow of the email inbox when the player received above a certain amount of invitational emails.
* GUI – fixed an issue where the controls configuration arrows in Options would not respond correctly to mouse input when attempting fine adjustment.

Top Bottom