• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Duxxy3

Really love the sound in the game. Love what slightly mad is trying to do with the game, but the game screams for a racing wheel. It may be just me, but the game feels like it was tuned for a racing wheel. The other sims feel like they were tuned for a controller.

Just my own quick impressions after a couple hours.

Metfanant

Really love the sound in the game. Love what slightly mad is trying to do with the game, but the game screams for a racing wheel. It may be just me, but the game feels like it was tuned for a racing wheel. The other sims feel like they were tuned for a controller.

Just my own quick impressions after a couple hours.

If by "other sims" you mean GT and Forza, its probably because pCARS takes the sim game a step further towards realism than either of its console competition does...

Obviously the closer you get to "real" the more a wheel will benefit you as a driver...

Mascot

Odd. I've gotten DQ because of that. Maybe it's been changed? Maybe yet another bug? xD
Just had the same thing happen at RA and got DQ. This time I finished with fuel, but didn't have enough to get back to the pits. Maybe if you run out of fuel before the end but limp over the line you are OK?

DD

If by "other sims" you mean GT and Forza, its probably because pCARS takes the sim game a step further towards realism than either of its console competition does...

Obviously the closer you get to "real" the more a wheel will benefit you as a driver...

And also because their default controller configuration is terrible. :p

Seriously, I've spent something between two and three hours just trying to find a useful setup, and I'm not 100% satisfied yet. It seems that they've only tested this game with wheels, which is specially pathetic being also a console game.

I'll share my PS4 setups tonight to see if it helps.

Jamesways

This game is phenomenal. It's getting to the stage it should have been at for launch now, but even in this current form it's still head and shoulders above its peers. There's certainly no better serious racing game on consoles.

Absolutely agree with you. No other racing game on console (aside from licensed ones like MotoGP and F1) make me feel like a race driver on a team competing in race weekends in a championship. That's all I've wanted in a console game. Basically, to me, this is a GT4/GT3 simulator, which is perfect. I know there are bugs, and it would be even better with a custom Championship mode, but overall it's fantastic. I've longed for an FIA GT sim, and this is as close as we'll get.

I've always viewed the GT and FM series as more a track day type game, with more focus on street cars and less on real motorsports, not to mention the collectathon extravaganza. I enjoy them, but this is the game I've been waiting for, one that actually mimics the rules of the races I love to watch. And it'll keep me busy a long time.

It's also staggeringly beautiful under certain lighting conditions.

Yeah I don't understand the complaints graphics wise on this, it looks great to me. And the sheer amount of the graphical options and settings are so welcome. Watching the 24hr LeMans at sunrise a few weeks while racing the Alpine on LeMans at sunrise the same time? Amazing.

I've put it on hold for the patch (plus been addicted to MotoGP15), and last night had a great time coming back to it.

Have they changed the cut track penalties?, never remember them being this over zealous.

Did another 3hr at Zolder event last night, and was on the lap few laps, made a mistake at the 2nd chicane and cut it, and I got "cut track, disqualified" (which after such a long race, was a bit annoying).

Admittedly I'd cut the track once or twice before, but I never remember getting DSQ'd for it before...........
Some tracks seem to be very lenient on track cutting, the dubai autodrome will let you cut turns in ridiculous ways for 2 o 3 laps before you get DQ'ed

nikos

Having issues with multiplayer on PS4. When I search for a game, I'm either booted from PSN or nothing happens at all.

Think it's time to sell this game. It's been broken in various ways since release, and it doesn't seem to be getting better. Really a shame.

Mascot

Having issues with multiplayer on PS4. When I search for a game, I'm either booted from PSN or nothing happens at all.

Think it's time to sell this game. It's been broken in various ways since release, and it doesn't seem to be getting better. Really a shame.
This whole post puzzles me. I've been on MP all day with no issues, and think the game is superb on PS4.

Jamesways

This whole post puzzles me. I've been on MP all day with no issues, and think the game is superb on PS4.

Ehh, PSN was down for a while today.

Fucking hell, just drive the '86 Lotus for the first time. Even with assists on, that thing is fucking terrifying to drive.
I've been trying to reign in the Lotus 49. So tough to handle, especially on cold tires.

I miss some of the old Ferrari F1 cars from Ferrari Racing Legends.

Sickbean

Fucking hell, just drive the '86 Lotus for the first time. Even with assists on, that thing is fucking terrifying to drive.

Have you tried the Lotus 49? I have no idea how drivers used to handle cars like these.

I don't think I'll ever grow a moustache manly enough even to drive the sim version of these cars, let alone the real ones.

Have you tried the Lotus 49? I have no idea how drivers used to handle cars like these.

I don't think I'll ever grow a moustache manly enough even to drive the sim version of these cars, let alone the real ones.

These were guys who'd flown Spitfires, flown ME 109s, assaulted beaches, parachuted onto gun emplacements - a Lotus 49 was a nice break from danger. :)

_machine

Well that last quali didn't go too well, I was caught in some light rain with slicks on Snetterton and didn't look like it'd last long so I stuck out, but I was struggling hard and noticed that the AI was changing for wets so I decided I'd do the same at the end of the lap...and the rain started slowing down and the AI had gotten around putting slightly better laps during the rain so I'm sitting at 11/20.

I'd blame my race engineer for the cockup though, so I hope we'll see the added weather prediction UI and race engineer VO soon-ish.

Was a lot of fun to play it in quite a while, though I didn't manage to fix my wheel just yet which sucks :/

Mascot

Absolutely agree with you. No other racing game on console (aside from licensed ones like MotoGP and F1) make me feel like a race driver on a team competing in race weekends in a championship. That's all I've wanted in a console game. Basically, to me, this is a GT4/GT3 simulator, which is perfect. I know there are bugs, and it would be even better with a custom Championship mode, but overall it's fantastic. I've longed for an FIA GT sim, and this is as close as we'll get.

I've always viewed the GT and FM series as more a track day type game, with more focus on street cars and less on real motorsports, not to mention the collectathon extravaganza. I enjoy them, but this is the game I've been waiting for, one that actually mimics the rules of the races I love to watch. And it'll keep me busy a long time.

It's the less obvious benefits of better authenticity that I love in pCARS. At no point in GT or FM will you feel the thrill of crossing the start/finish line with a clear track ahead and just enough time and fuel to get that one extra qualifying lap in, then watching in horror as a car peels out of the pits in front of you.

Jezbollah

I continue to get less and less impressed with this game. At the moment I am in Formula C, at Monza. Just done qualifying 1.

Now I have to say the new patch has resolved one thing - the fact that your tyres being cold no longer has you heading at right angles to the barrier when you apply the throttle - but it seems the AI cars still have the miracle that are fully warmed up tyres as soon as they leave pit lane.

Anyway, in qualifying, when I was building up to my lap, I kept getting blue flags "the race leaders are behind you, you better let them past" - race leaders.. in qualifying.. ok. So I do. And then I slow down on the back straight to get a gap so I can go on my run. Going into Parabolica, the guy I just let past decides to slow to an almost stop, making me ram into him and getting suspension damage. I pit, seemingly to repair, and then get sent out. On rain tyres.. on a sunny, cloudless day.

These guys.. they wrote a game that is mostly great fun to drive, but they still get the fucking stupid things wrong, and keep not fixing them. Jesus.

EDIT: Ok, they fixed the starts so you cant get a big jump anymore. That's good.

Am I crazy? On the PS4, I can't adjust the configuration for things like steering deadzone and what not to be exact. It increases/decreases by increments of 6. Help?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Decided to run Dubai in Formula A with 100% race length. That's 55 laps of a 3.349 mile course. The ai almost beat me with it's 0 stop strategy.

Also, it'd be cool if they would fix the team championships achievements.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
So I picked this up during the Amazon misprice and initial impressions are that the controls/handling with PS4 pad are horrible. I'm really not finding it fun to play at all at the moment, feels like cars are turning like bricks round corners and the karts especially are terrible.

Just wondering what control settings folks on GAF are using on PS4 ?

danowat

Banned
Am I crazy? On the PS4, I can't adjust the configuration for things like steering deadzone and what not to be exact. It increases/decreases by increments of 6. Help?

you aren't crazy, it's one of the (many) annoying little bugs

So I picked this up during the Amazon misprice and initial impressions are that the controls/handling with PS4 pad are horrible. I'm really not finding it fun to play at all at the moment, feels like cars are turning like bricks round corners and the karts especially are terrible.

My settings are back in this thread somewhere, once it's set it well, it works really nicely, if cars aren't turning, make sure speed sensitive steering isn't higher than 50%

benzy

Just picked it up too. Haven't found Danowat's settings yet but these settings are doing the job for now.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=163661701&postcount=1964

danowat

Banned
Just picked it up too. Haven't found Danowat's settings yet but these settings are doing the job for now.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=163661701&postcount=1964

These were my originals.

Steering deadzone 6
Steering sensitivity 0
Throttle deadzone 10
Throttle sensitivity 30
Brake deadzone 10
Brake sensitivity 30
Speed sensitivity 55
Controller filtering 40
Input mode 2
Advanced on
soft steering on
visual wheel filtering off
opposite lock help off

I have now updated them to the following. (with some tooltips about the settings)

Steering deadzone 6 (or lower if you can get away with it, will depend how tight your pad is, some old and/or sloppy pads will need the deadzone increased)
Steering sensitivity 0 (shame this won't go any lower)
Throttle deadzone 10
Throttle sensitivity 30 (if you are finding it hard to smootly get the power down on corner exit, reduce)
Brake deadzone 10
Brake sensitivity 30 (if you are finiding it hard to smoothly brake into corners, reduce)
Speed sensitivity 50 (you don't want this any higher, if you can get away with it lower, go for it, all it does it reduce steering lock in parallel with speed, so the faster you go, the less steering lock you have, which can make it impossible to take fast corners)
Controller filtering 50 (still haven't figured out what this one does for certain, but at higher levels it seems to add a deadzone to the steering)
Input mode 2
Advanced on
soft steering on
visual wheel filtering off (you may want this on if the "jittering" steering wheel in cockpit mode distracts you)
opposite lock help off

Fox Mulder

I continue to get less and less impressed with this game. At the moment I am in Formula C, at Monza. Just done qualifying 1.

Now I have to say the new patch has resolved one thing - the fact that your tyres being cold no longer has you heading at right angles to the barrier when you apply the throttle - but it seems the AI cars still have the miracle that are fully warmed up tyres as soon as they leave pit lane.

Anyway, in qualifying, when I was building up to my lap, I kept getting blue flags "the race leaders are behind you, you better let them past" - race leaders.. in qualifying.. ok. So I do. And then I slow down on the back straight to get a gap so I can go on my run. Going into Parabolica, the guy I just let past decides to slow to an almost stop, making me ram into him and getting suspension damage. I pit, seemingly to repair, and then get sent out. On rain tyres.. on a sunny, cloudless day.

These guys.. they wrote a game that is mostly great fun to drive, but they still get the fucking stupid things wrong, and keep not fixing them. Jesus.

EDIT: Ok, they fixed the starts so you cant get a big jump anymore. That's good.

Pit stops are shit in this game.

It apoarently saves the last stop you did in a race, so you could end up with rain tires from the last race when you pit if you're not careful. I've had this happen too.

you also have to pick each individual tire to change, so I once accidentally only changed one front tire to wet before.

Cars also ghost in pits, avoiding collisions but also destroying gaps earned on the track. Yet you're held far too long for safe releases.

Stupid issues, the f1 games are far better and can be set up with simple dpad commands while racing around on the track.

Newlove

Just wandering, is it me or has the latest patch on PS4 reduced the ghosting / blurry graphics? It looks a lot more crisp now.

danowat

Banned
Just wandering, is it me or has the latest patch on PS4 reduced the ghosting / blurry graphics? It looks a lot more crisp now.

They added an option to adjust the temporal AA (the cause of the ghosting), you can completely turn it off (although it has an FPS penalty) if you so wish.

Does anyone use a mobile HUD app? Does the server running on the PC degrade performance or enabling shared memory cause any instability?

Mascot

I posted this on the official WMD forums but some GAFers might find it useful:

Total loss of FFB still randomly happens after 2.0, but here is a workaround...

A lot of wheel users seem to randomly experience total loss of force feedback effects at the start of some races. Powering the wheel down and restarting it seems to be the only way to restore FFB, but before patch 2.0 this would usually crash the PS4. The crash no longer happens after 2.0 but the game often won't recognise the wheel when it's powered back up, meaning a PS4 or game shutdown and complete restart is necessary if you want to keep using the wheel. This is annoying if you are hosting a lobby or in the middle of a race series.

However, I've found a workaround as an unexpected benefit from one of patch 2.0's best new features: multi-controller input.

If you lose FFB on your wheel, MAKE YOUR DS4 THE LAST-USED ACTIVE CONTROLLER before restarting your wheel. Since patch 2.0 the DS4 can now be used alongside the wheel, so use the DS4 to (for example) access the menus, THEN (without touching any controls on the wheel, inc pedals or shifter) simply power the wheel down and restart it. You should then find that the game recognises the wheel straight away and you can continue where you left off, even mid-race, without having to exit the game, and your FFB should be restored.

I've tried this several times since 2.0 and it's worked seamlessly. This is PS4, YMMV, but good luck. Hope this helps.

I have now updated them to the following. (with some tooltips about the settings)
Steering deadzone 6 (or lower if you can get away with it, will depend how tight your pad is, some old and/or sloppy pads will need the deadzone increased)
Steering sensitivity 0 (shame this won't go any lower)
Throttle deadzone 10
Throttle sensitivity 30 (if you are finding it hard to smootly get the power down on corner exit, reduce)
Brake deadzone 10
Brake sensitivity 30 (if you are finiding it hard to smoothly brake into corners, reduce)
Speed sensitivity 50 (you don't want this any higher, if you can get away with it lower, go for it, all it does it reduce steering lock in parallel with speed, so the faster you go, the less steering lock you have, which can make it impossible to take fast corners)
Controller filtering 50 (still haven't figured out what this one does for certain, but at higher levels it seems to add a deadzone to the steering)
Input mode 2
Advanced on
soft steering on
visual wheel filtering off (you may want this on if the "jittering" steering wheel in cockpit mode distracts you)
opposite lock help off

Having spent three weeks or so with the default settings on PS4, I can't get on with these settings at all! Perhaps they work better with some cars than others, but I think I'll be sticking with the defaults now that I'm used to them.

commedieu

Banned
I'm really, really, really enjoying this sim. I love the sounds, I love the realistic response of brakes, the shift of weight. I really feel like I can turn off the HUD and just glide around with my virtual ass.

This is very well done. I don't know what else to say.. My settings are about on par with GT6 + some, so this is heaven until I upgrade my machine.. Then I don't know what that will be? Pure Zen..?

I don't even mind the car selection, seems plenty. I do mainly hot laps anyway and pretend i'm on top gear. Maybe some online here and there.

The career feels great. And I love the fact that people talk shit about you via the twitter feed thing. Really good way of immersing you into the mindset of a shitty driver.

The FFB even with the DFPRo is great. You feel the traction so well.

Gad damn. Very impressed. This was well worth the 30 bucks on steam.

Only encountered the sound bug.

And FFB going numb after a bad wreck. That seems to trigger it.

RS4-

Did I already fuck up the Meticulous trophy? I actually get into the part part of the testing phase, but I just skip the session, and do qualifying instead.

Should I have actually done a lap and then set it to 60x?

edit - nm, only involves practice, qualifying and race. Unless I misunderstand.

benzy

I'm really, really, really enjoying this sim. I love the sounds, I love the realistic response of brakes, the shift of weight. I really feel like I can turn off the HUD and just glide around with my virtual ass.

This is very well done. I don't know what else to say.. My settings are about on par with GT6 + some, so this is heaven until I upgrade my machine.. Then I don't know what that will be? Pure Zen..?

I don't even mind the car selection, seems plenty. I do mainly hot laps anyway and pretend i'm on top gear. Maybe some online here and there.

The career feels great. And I love the fact that people talk shit about you via the twitter feed thing. Really good way of immersing you into the mindset of a shitty driver.

The FFB even with the DFPRo is great. You feel the traction so well.

Gad damn. Very impressed. This was well worth the 30 bucks on steam.

Only encountered the sound bug.

And FFB going numb after a bad wreck. That seems to trigger it.

Yeah, it's a very good racer. The level of customization in races is awesome.

There are some weird quirks though, how do I change the car color when doing quick race? I go into the garage, have to exit the garage, then go back into it for a random selection of livery/color with no option to cycle through the colors...

Jamesways

Yeah, it's a very good racer. The level of customization in races is awesome.

There are some weird quirks though, how do I change the car color when doing quick race? I go into the garage, have to exit the garage, then go back into it for a random selection of livery/color with no option to cycle through the colors...

I finally figured out the liveries "sticking". I could never get them to stay, always random after picking one.

So… Race Weekend, Practice, what ever mode. Choose your car, then go into the garage from that mode. Choose your livery, press X (on ps4). Back out and DO NOT select your car after that. That sets the livery to random then. That's what I was doing wrong. After choosing your car and livery, simply back out and just start the race.
Overly complicated, but I'm happy I finally figured that out.

* Fixed an issue where flat tyres were fitted to the car during a pit stop, by ensuring that the tyres are correctly inflated.

Just ran into this bug on X1. I really think I need to stay away from the single player for the next couple of months until all the bugs are fixed. Absolutely nothing worse then leading a race, pulling in for a mandatory pit, only to have 4 flat tires put on your car.

Mascot

Just ran into this bug on X1. I really think I need to stay away from the single player for the next couple of months until all the bugs are fixed. Absolutely nothing worse then leading a race, pulling in for a mandatory pit, only to have 4 flat tires put on your car.
Xbone should have patch 2.0 any day now I believe.

DieH@rd

Banned
I just saw how much we backers [well investors :D] will soon get back from SMS for the first quarter of sales! Frankly, I expected less. :)

danowat

Banned
I need to know this as well if anyone has a PS4 and Bluetooth keyboard if they could try and let us know it would be great, I want to go buy one now but need to know 1st.

I purchased a little Fosmon bluetooth keyboard and touchpad, works flawlessly with PCars.

_machine

Where did you find this?
http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?22548-WMD-payments&p=904888#post904888

But it's not actual sales since they can't get that revenue in time for the first payment, they are just paying back out of their own money temporarily as to help a bit with the euro tanking and to not have members wait too long for it. The bulk of the profit from sales will be coming with the 2nd payment.

Had a fun race on Snetterton yesterday (though I'm not a massive fan of the 200 configuration) and it certainly seems like the AI on rain is much improved now; I was able to race steadily even with the changing weather and had some really great battling with them and no accidents even though one of them spun out in one corner. Generally it looks like they are bit more careful around other cars too whilst still being as fast as they used to.

Top Bottom