• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Weird. I'll try some other cars. Apart from brief exceptions I've almost exclusively driven the RUF RGT-8 and the BMW Z4M. I really should get out more.
Actually, it could be car related. I've only spent a few hours with career and heard it plenty with the cars I've used... All 2 of them (clio and gt4 genetta)

danowat

Banned
Anyone fancy a little bit of hotlap challenge fun?, nothing too structured, just a bit'o fun.

Also, stupid question, why has the R8 V10 Plus got a KERS battery on the display?

DD

Anyone fancy a little bit of hotlap challenge fun?, nothing too structured, just a bit'o fun.

Also, stupid question, why has the R8 V10 Plus got a KERS battery on the display?

I made myself the same question, lol. Also hated that car in this game, although I f*ckin' love Audi. ;(

danowat

Banned
I made myself the same question, lol. Also hated that car in this game, although I f*ckin' love Audi. ;(

I think it's a cracking little car in this game, the hotlap challenge was going to be the R8 on Imola, really fun (for me at least!) combo.

What does it take to manage a 3min30 around La Sarthe with a RWD P30?

I'm feeling that I ran out of talent when I see the leaderboards or some YouTube laps.

_machine

XBO Patch 2.0 finally out.

...and PC Patch 2.5 coming later today:

Project CARS –PC Patch 2.5 – Release Notes

Game Crashes
We spent a lot of time working directly with a number of users who were struggling with game crashes, and resolved as many of these as we could. The various fixes in this patch should help a great deal in making the game more stable for those of you who were experiencing these instabilities.

Pitting, tuning, setups
* Fixed a case where the in-game tuning Setup was not being saved under certain conditions.
* Fixed the issue with cold and current tyre pressure mismatches in pitstop strategy, as well as cold pressure not being correctly applied in the tyre system.
* Ensure that the Default pitstop strategy is selected as the Active one when starting a new session.
* Fixed an issue where the wrong vehicle setup would at times be applied to the player’s current vehicle.
* Fixed another case of where cars would sometimes leave the pits with an invisible reattached wheel.
* Fixed an issue with the Pit Strategy screen where the displayed values did not reflect the saved settings.
* Fixed an issue in online races where the pit crew would ignore any changes made to the pit strategy once the player’s car was stationary in the pit box.
* Reworked some tyre compound names as displayed in the setup screen to ensure that all compounds are named to be indicative of the type of compound it represents in the pit strategy screen.
* Restrict the selectable pit strategy tyre compound types to only those available for the current vehicle.

* Fixed an issue where the Drive button would remain permanently locked when joining an in-progress session.
* Fixed an issue where, when the player progressed from qualifying to the start of the race, the player’s car would sometimes begin moving without player, resulting in false jump-starts.

Controls
* New Feature – Implemented the ability via menu sliders for the user to manually tweak the menu spring strength, stationary / low speed spring strength, and overall steering gain.
* New Feature – The Force Feedback Calibration screen now features a multiple force feedback profile selection whereby the user can select a base FFB style that suits personal preference, and then tweak it further as desired. This will then create a ‘Custom’ entry in the profile selection list in addition to the current options: "Default" (matches the FFB default settings in Patch 2.0) and "Classic” (matches the FFB settings in the original release).
* Fixed an issue with sudden loss of FFB after a crash.
* Reduced the strength of the menu spring for custom wheels.
* Fixed an issue where Mouse controls were showing a deadzone in the centre regardless of deadzone setting.
* Fixed an issue where rumble on the gamepad could at times cause the game to slow down.
* Added support and profiles for the Logitech G29 and G920 on PC
* Added accelerator slip vibration to the wheel rim of Fanatec wheels where available, and fixed brake rumble not working.

Vehicles
* Formula A – Added a new tire set which now includes two slick tires - soft and medium. Also rebalanced the heating and wear across all four tyre sets. Wear will now more closely match real-world Formula cars. Heating is more even front to rear also. Further rebalancing of the AI speed as was required, and tweaks to the base setup to accommodate the heat change.
* Modern street cars - New stiffer tyres for improved drivability to more closely match the real world experience, making these cars more fun and engaging to drive. Made tweaks to the individual setups of the FWD and most Supercars to accommodate the change.
* Mclaren P1 - Stiffened up the default suspension to help prevent bottoming out at tracks like Nordschliefe.

danowat

Banned
* Modern street cars - New stiffer tyres for improved drivability to more closely match the real world experience, making these cars more fun and engaging to drive. Made tweaks to the individual setups of the FWD and most Supercars to accommodate the change.

Oooooo

When are us console peasants getting 2.5 then?

Edit : Ok, so we're not getting 2.5, those additions will be added to 3.0

Yeah patch out on Xbox fixes flat tire bug

Meh audio bug still present

Booooo what the fuck did they do to the wheel settings, their on steroids now, have to change everything again!

Klocker

Xbox patch feels really good, controller seems even tighter, improved performance overall, rain races felt fair for a change and the throttle trigger rumble improved.

Nope still fucked. Turned down every FFB setting by half and the resistance when turning is so strong it vibrates my whole rig. I now also have this inexplicable wheel shake where the wheel swings wildly left and right before the race and sometimes down straits.

_machine

Did some hotlapping with the new, free A1 around Donington and it was a ton of fun in the rain, it's definitely a super safe car that you can just chuck around the corners, but it should be great for racing too. I'll need to try out the improved street tires soon.

Mascot

Did some hotlapping with the new, free A1 around Donington and it was a ton of fun in the rain, it's definitely a super safe car that you can just chuck around the corners, but it should be great for racing too. I'll need to try out the improved street tires soon.

What, the DLC cars and new track are out..?

Casey Ringley of SMS said:
Aero: Very little 'official' data here, but a lot can be inferred. Audi have made public claims of lift:drag efficiency of 5:1, and we can be sure they are understating that. At top speed when ride height reduces under downforce load, it is probably closer to 6:1 (for those who aren't aero nerds, this is very very very good). What we do know is that top speeds without a draft at Le Mans were typically recorded in the 315-319kmh range. With a draft, closer to 340.

I always wondered how racing game devs get their aero data for old cars or for cars that manufacturers want the data being out there...

Basically they a drag to lift vs. downforce conversion guessed from top speed and front area. If it's not more than that, than they play it like the exponential drag-formula from your standard school physics objects applies, which is pretty inaccurate, because a race car consists of a lot of objects of differing cw-values, that shape the airflow and pressure for the car-parts behind and around them. For example at 80mph you might get good air under your aero part and at 180mph only vertexed airflow from the aero part infront might hit it. Meaning a car's speed/downforce graph is not just a smooth curve even without active/movable downforce parts. This especially is the case for cars whose shape has not been designed with later added aero parts in mind.

But probably it doesn't differ too much from a smooth curve and no racing game developer whatsoever makes guesses or simulations on aerodynamic interactions at different speeds and we can be happy with the dynamic ride height having an effect on lift and diffuser-downforce.
The nerd in me wants to protest :[

If one of you knows of a game dev that does fluid dynamic simulations of the shapes of their featured cars to predict downforce, I'd love to know.

Klocker

Nope still fucked. Turned down every FFB setting by half and the resistance when turning is so strong it vibrates my whole rig. I now also have this inexplicable wheel shake where the wheel swings wildly left and right before the race and sometimes down straits.

Don't know if you ever got this sorted but here is what they recommend

Power you Xbox down and unplug the power supply and leave for 1 minute and then plug back in and switch on.

And an xbox test with the new patch compared to old

So how good is the patch in terms of performance improvements?

Using Sonoma GP in clear conditions at 13.00:
Car: Aston Martin V12 GT3 (all assists on) (automatic gearbox)
Race duration 1 lap from pole.

Pre-patch times: (average times)
Cars on grid: 2: Lap time 1m 37s
Cars on grid 43: Lap time 2m 06s
Max cars on grid and still able to achieve 1m 37s = appx 19

Post patch times:
Cars on grid: 2: Lap Time 1m 37s
Cars on grid 43: Lap Time 1m 50s
Cars on grid and still able to achieve 1m 37s = appx 25

Although my driving is not brilliant and the times and totals are simply estimates it still does show that the performance increases are quite considerable so it's most definitely a step in the right direction. Oh and it's worth pointing out that due to the severe reduction in frame rate (albeit less noticeable) it's still not practical to race with a full (or near full) grid. Well not on Sonoma anyway.

But thanks to all concerned because i'm pretty sure that the less demanding circuits are perhaps now going to witness near perfect frame rates.
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...now-Opinions&p=1050796&viewfull=1#post1050796

saladine1

The free car, Audi A1 Quattro is out, but the DLC will follow "soon", with the physics notes from Casey: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?35219-The-Physics-of-Audi-Ruapana

Really cool stuff to read, I'm most excited to test the Audi 90 IMSA GTO and of course the Ruapuna track as I've never driven it in any game.

Loved reading those details.

There's so much that goes on under the hood and most times devs don't let us in on that type of information. Sure, some stuff could sound a little complex for some people but divulging that kind of details and insight instills appreciation for the work these guys put into the cars..

Mascot

Loved reading those details.

There's so much that goes on under the hood and most times devs don't let us in on that type of information. Sure, some stuff could sound a little complex for some people but divulging that kind of details and insight instills appreciation for the work these guys put into the cars..

The physics engine in pCARS is incredibly complex, but hamstrung by completely baffling design decisions. Parameters like track temperature, air temperature, wind speed, wind direction, atmospheric pressure etc are all modelled accurately and all affect the performance and handling of your vehicle, yet all of these variables are hidden from the player (unless you use a third-party app, and then only on PC) and are therefore completely useless to the user. In fact, by having them hidden, they actually disadvantage the player because you don't know what the values are and therefore cannot consider them as part of your set-ups.

Like I said: baffling.

xrnzaaas

That DLC car pack sounds nice, especially the Audi 90 IMSA GTO. :) Hopefully it won't be long until it's available for PS4.

_machine

The physics engine in pCARS is incredibly complex, but hamstrung by completely baffling design decisions. Parameters like track temperature, air temperature, wind speed, wind direction, atmospheric pressure etc are all modelled accurately and all affect the performance and handling of your vehicle, yet all of these variables are hidden from the player (unless you use a third-party app, and then only on PC) and are therefore completely useless to the user. In fact, by having them hidden, they actually disadvantage the player because you don't know what the values are and therefore cannot consider them as part of your set-ups.

Like I said: baffling.

Yup, a proper pre-race track data screen would add so much, it's really annoying not to know the data that actual race car drivers get to know and as you said it makes set-ups and preparations so much harder. I think the race engineer could have a lot more information to give on track conditions as well, right now I feel it's very underutilized.

Klocker

I unplugged fir 30 seconds yesterday, don't know if an additional 30 will make a difference but I'll give it a shot.

I don't have a wheel but you are not alone, here is what they are saying
- reset your wheel setting with the default command
- redone your calibration procedure
- don't change anything on the calibration parameters section
- set your main FFB to 50% ( configuration tab )
- make coherent setting with your in car ffb parameters

i done that and it's really fantastic ( with low values on scales )

( be sure that you have the last trustmaster firmware on your TX )

In this thread. http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?35173-Patch-2-0-out-now-Opinions/page13

Hope it helps

Oh man, and here i thought my days of "tweaking" settings was over when i got the Thrustmaster TX, with the 2.0 patch the FFB and steering ratios have gone to shit... wish I could roll back to pre 2.0 :(

xrnzaaas

Project Invisible Cars :D

pi5tlJG.jpg

kie25

Very nice..!

Do you have a good generic setup for the RUF RGT-8? That's my go-to car for pretty much any track. I just love it.

Do you mean the GT3 version? Let me know and I'll try get a good base setup for you. I've not really driven either car. Also are you on a wheel or pad, as not sure how my setups will behave on a pad.

kie25

Oh man, and here i thought my days of "tweaking" settings was over when i got the Thrustmaster TX, with the 2.0 patch the FFB and steering ratios have gone to shit... wish I could roll back to pre 2.0 :(

Was same with my t500 on ps4 when 2.0 hit, I found lowering the tire force got it bk to about where it was.

Mascot

Do you mean the GT3 version? Let me know and I'll try get a good base setup for you. I've not really driven either car. Also are you on a wheel or pad, as not sure how my setups will behave on a pad.

Yep, the GT3 car, and I'm using a wheel (Fanatec GT2). Thanks for this - looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

I got the game for free, and have had it sitting there beckoning me to play it for a while. Well, I finally got around to it today.

It's not for me, unfortunately. I'm not a fan of how sim focused it is, or the physics/controls. I'm glad a lot of others are enjoying it, though.

kie25

Yep, the GT3 car, and I'm using a wheel (Fanatec GT2). Thanks for this - looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Ok I'll try get a setup that is fast as base, not really used the ruf much as it's probably 1 the slower GT3 cars you can use, I'll take it to a few tracks and see what pace I can tweek out of it. May take a few days but I'll do my best, do you like your cars under steering, over steering, stable, pointy etc, I normally prefer pointy with slight oversteer myself.

Patch 2.5 seems to have solved my random crashes and performance issues on PC.

Is there still a multiplayer GAF community on PC or is it pretty much dead?

Icefire1424

May have missed it, but anyone noticing any issues with severe yet sporadic input lag on the PS4 when using a controller? Odd thing is it only happens occasionally, but particularly frustrating when it occurs in the middle of a race and the car turns 2-3 seconds after I move the stick. Happens with the accelerator as well.

Top Bottom