• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Xbone should have patch 2.0 any day now I believe.

I know, but I think I will wait out career events until the next big patch, because bugs like the one I ran into are such a kick to the nuts. I was having such a good time, and it just soured my opinion on the game for about an hour. I really don't want a situation like that to happen again, so waiting until another round of bug fixes sounds reasonable to me.

benzy

I finally figured out the liveries "sticking". I could never get them to stay, always random after picking one.

So… Race Weekend, Practice, what ever mode. Choose your car, then go into the garage from that mode. Choose your livery, press X (on ps4). Back out and DO NOT select your car after that. That sets the livery to random then. That's what I was doing wrong. After choosing your car and livery, simply back out and just start the race.
Overly complicated, but I'm happy I finally figured that out.

Lol, yea it's a bit weird. I sort of figured out the color sticking trying to find the cycling option. Guess there's really no way to quickly choose what color you want.

danowat

Banned
Let's just hope they update the sounds before the release, because it doesn't sound even remotely close to the real thing. But the same goes to the R18 TDI, so I think we'll have to take this as it is now, unfortunatelly, because I really like these Audi diesel race cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw-DDJiAlEY

The real thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEYNPCNYohI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro1yEkiEgbs

It's missing some of the flybrid sounds, but apart from that, it's not that bad.

I'd also say that those real life videos sound pretty different to each other too..........

It's missing some of the flybrid sounds, but apart from that, it's not that bad.

I'd also say that those real life videos sound pretty different to each other too..........

I didn't said it sounds bad, I say it doesn't sound accurate to the real car. I chose different quality videos purposely to show how off the diesel engine sounds in game. Not to mention the lack of the flywheel whine.

DD

Turn it off in the options?

PS4 version here. :p

I mean, DOF is one of the effects I most enjoy in a videogame, but look at this. This is not even the most extreme use of it (I usually don't take screenshots of moments I find ugly, but this came out anyway :p), but why did they blurry those poor trees back there so much? And not only that, but this thing is badly implemented too. Note that some parts at the base of the trees are on focus, while the rest is a blurry mess. It doesn't make the game look prettier, and most of the the time it looks some extreme case of tilt shifting. I'm passionate about photography and these things usually get on my nerves. :p They need some artist to point that out and ask to tone it down when it's too much.

102ProjectCARS201507102.jpg

PS4 version here. :p

I mean, DOF is one of the effects I most enjoy in a videogame, but look at this. This is not even the most extreme use of it (I usually don't take screenshots of moments I find ugly, but this came out anyway :p), but why did they blurry those poor trees back there so much? And not only that, but this thing is badly implemented too. Note that some parts at the base of the trees are on focus, while the rest is a blurry mess. It doesn't make the game look prettier, and most of the the time it looks some extreme case of tilt shifting. I'm passionate about photography and these things usually get on my nerves. :p They need some artist to point that out and ask to tone it down when it's too much.

102ProjectCARS201507102.jpg

Looks like anything above the horizon is classed as "infinite distance" (or just very far away), and because the trees stick up past the horizon they're caught in the DOF. If you look near the bottom of them they're clear where they aren't intersecting with the sky.

God dammit, managing my setups is driving me crazy. Ignoring the fact career mode setups don't save properly (known issue);

If I make changes to my setup in a single race, and don't click save, my changes will not persist out of that race, right? If I *do* click save, they save against that track only? If I want to apply it to all tracks, I need to go out into the garage, save and then choose all? When I go into garage, what exactly is my 'current setup'? The setup for the last track I raced on?

The interface in this game is maddening. 90% of it works with a controller but some options I need to reach for the mouse. Controller options (that took ages to finetune!) are lost if I flick certain options (like changing the controller type, sometimes accidentally).

I accidentally accepted a contract into a series I didn't want to do by pressing A on the email after reading it.

None of the graphics or controller options are explained.

I love this game but sometimes it rubs me right up the wrong way. More time in the oven for pCars 2 please. [/rant]

Did they patch the FFB recently? I've noticed over the past week that the steering feels heavier. Which is good overall, but annoying that I have to reset my settings on each car again.

Jamesways

Had such a great GT4 career race #2 last night at Oscherslaben. A full on thunderstorm rolled in fairly quickly. Contemplated Intermediates, went full wets, glad I did. But then it passed near the end and I was caught out on a drying track gambling for podium finish rather than risking a pit stop. Really had to ease off and fought off the AI for the finish. Love this game.

What I'd really like though is more pit chief info through the radio about coming storms like F1 does. That's such a great system. Here you have no idea what the weather may bring when or for how long. It's a great touch in F1 when they tell you a passing rain is set to hit in 10min.

Also, don't care for it resorting to the last saved pit strategy. Every race I have to inactivate it or alter it while rolling into the pit if I forget.

Can you delete them somewhere?

Mascot

Had such a great GT4 career race #2 last night at Oscherslaben. A full on thunderstorm rolled in fairly quickly. Contemplated Intermediates, went full wets, glad I did. But then it passed near the end and I was caught out on a drying track gambling for podium finish rather than risking a pit stop. Really had to ease off and fought off the AI for the finish. Love this game.

What I'd really like though is more pit chief info through the radio about coming storms like F1 does. That's such a great system. Here you have no idea what the weather may bring when or for how long. It's a great touch in F1 when they tell you a passing rain is set to hit in 10min.

Also, don't care for it resorting to the last saved pit strategy. Every race I have to inactivate it or alter it while rolling into the pit if I forget.

Can you delete them somewhere?
I'm still not entirely sure how to execute pit stops properly.

fresquito

You can setup different pit strategies in the pit strategy setup screen (accesible in practice and qualifying). You need to activate one of them (will be the default one). You can have more than one pit strategy and pick up the one you like better for the time being. You can also adjust any pit strategy on the fly once you enter the pit lane.

The main problem is the menu to get access to the pit strategies once you enter the pitlane doesn't work as it should. Last time I checked, there was the option to pick one pit strategy and one option to edit it. Well, no matter what you choose, if you click on the wrong place, it will lead you to edit it.

Then there's the problem with fueling. You can't create a no fuel strategy, which is stupid. You can trick the game though. You go to the setup and put 1l fuel and save. Then go to the pit strategy menu and pick 1l fuel and save. Then go back to the setup and put the fuel you want and save. It shoud work.

The UI in this game is terrible almost in every possible way.

Mascot

You can setup different pit strategies in the pit strategy setup screen (accesible in practice and qualifying). You need to activate one of them (will be the default one). You can have more than one pit strategy and pick up the one you like better for the time being. You can also adjust any pit strategy on the fly once you enter the pit lane.

The main problem is the menu to get access to the pit strategies once you enter the pitlane doesn't work as it should. Last time I checked, there was the option to pick one pit strategy and one option to edit it. Well, no matter what you choose, if you click on the wrong place, it will lead you to edit it.

Then there's the problem with fueling. You can't create a no fuel strategy, which is stupid. You can trick the game though. You go to the setup and put 1l fuel and save. Then go to the pit strategy menu and pick 1l fuel and save. Then go back to the setup and put the fuel you want and save. It shoud work.

The UI in this game is terrible almost in every possible way.

Yeah, I have a setup saved called 'Rain' which should change my tyres to wets. I'm just not sure how to activate it once I'm in the pitlane. I thought I'd done it correctly the other day but was obviously still on slicks when I left the pits.

It'd be nice if the game told you at all times what tyres are currently on your car.

DavidDesu

Just got the game on PS4. Not got a wheel for my PS4 yet so DS4 for me. I can play racing games with a controller fine, so long as the game has decent settings... Anyways I'm trying and trying to dial them in and nothing feels quite right. Trying to use online settings I've found but got a weird problem, people are saying set something to 40, or 30 etc, however for me I can only seem to choose increments in 6 degrees, 0,6,12,18 etc. So I can't get exactly on 40 for instance. Using the analogue stick and dpad and the game jumps every setting up and down in incremements of 6. What the hell is up with this??

Had numerous audio bugs in such a short space of time with this game. This is with the 2.0 patch. Game's a mess. Worst thing about trying to find the right settings of course is that you can't adjust them while actually driving, got to quit out, change, reload (with considerable loading times too). Arghhhh! Frustrating how long this has been in development and there's so many glitches and inconsistencies. Nice game down at its core, but its the PC buggy port I half expected. Can't we get a good PC style sim racer with the polish of a Forza or Gran Turismo for once :(

DD

Just got the game on PS4. Not got a wheel for my PS4 yet so DS4 for me. I can play racing games with a controller fine, so long as the game has decent settings... Anyways I'm trying and trying to dial them in and nothing feels quite right. Trying to use online settings I've found but got a weird problem, people are saying set something to 40, or 30 etc, however for me I can only seem to choose increments in 6 degrees, 0,6,12,18 etc. So I can't get exactly on 40 for instance. Using the analogue stick and dpad and the game jumps every setting up and down in incremements of 6. What the hell is up with this??

Had numerous audio bugs in such a short space of time with this game. This is with the 2.0 patch. Game's a mess. Worst thing about trying to find the right settings of course is that you can't adjust them while actually driving, got to quit out, change, reload (with considerable loading times too). Arghhhh! Frustrating how long this has been in development and there's so many glitches and inconsistencies. Nice game down at its core, but its the PC buggy port I half expected. Can't we get a good PC style sim racer with the polish of a Forza or Gran Turismo for once :(

Try these settings. I've spent hours trying different stuff, and this is the best I found so far:

Steering deadzone - 0
Steering sensitivity - 0
Throttle deadzone - 0
Throttle sensitivity - 0
Brake deadzone - 0
Brake sensitivity - 0
Clutch deadzone - I use auto, so I didn't mess with this one
Clutch sensitivity - same as above
Speed sensitivity - Something a little above 60
Controller sensitivity filtering - Something around 20 (I'm using 18, I think)
Advanced - on
soft steering - on
visual wheel filtering - on
opposite lock help off

DavidDesu

Try these settings. I've spent hours trying different stuff, and this is the best I found so far:

Steering deadzone - 0
Steering sensitivity - 0
Throttle deadzone - 0
Throttle sensitivity - 0
Brake deadzone - 0
Brake sensitivity - 0
Clutch deadzone - I use auto, so I didn't mess with this one
Clutch sensitivity - same as above
Speed sensitivity - Something a little above 60
Controller sensitivity filtering - Something around 20 (I'm using 18, I think)
Advanced - on
soft steering - on
visual wheel filtering - on
opposite lock help off

Cheers only tried one car so far but that feels a lot better. More like GT. Thank you!

Mascot

What are these audio bugs that people keep mentioning? I'm on PS4 and can't ever remember encountering one.

My audio goes through a 5.1 amp and I almost exclusively use GT cars, if that matters.

Also, there's an interesting thread on the WMD forums started by the guy leading one of the teams producing scratch pCARS mods:

click

Ian Bell approves.

fresquito

Yeah, I have a setup saved called 'Rain' which should change my tyres to wets. I'm just not sure how to activate it once I'm in the pitlane. I thought I'd done it correctly the other day but was obviously still on slicks when I left the pits.

It'd be nice if the game told you at all times what tyres are currently on your car.
I don't know how it works with the wheel, but when you click with your mouse on the name of the strategy, it grants you access to editing it. Whereas if you click on Yes/No, it activates, deactivates it. So, if you want to activate your Rain strategy, what you need to do is click on the Rain No and turn it into Yes.

DavidDesu

I want to like this game, some of the racing has been fantastic and its nice having such a wide range of tracks and proper racing cars (rather then 50 versions of a Jazz), but I'm struggling to see past the lack of polish the game seems to have. I like watching my replays in racing games but I can't ignore the very obvious level of detail pop in. The replays are also quite jittery, the camera can jump around when it cuts to different views and the cars sometimes kind of jump about, almost like you see with online lag. It's small but noticeable. My main other visual issue is the wheel animation (you know the way the wheels have that optical effect of spinning g faster and slower and going backwards) is very wonky. Like that keeps jumping as well and looks like its at a low framerate or something....

Hate to nitpick but I feel it's issues like these, the lack of polish which really detract from the experience. I have patch 2.0 by the way.

I find the pit strategy selector to be rather confusing but maybe that's just me.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
What are these audio bugs that people keep mentioning? I'm on PS4 and can't ever remember encountering one.

My audio goes through a 5.1 amp and I almost exclusively use GT cars, if that matters.

Also, there's an interesting thread on the WMD forums started by the guy leading one of the teams producing scratch pCARS mods:

click

Ian Bell approves.

not the best video as its usually much worse, particularly in packs of cars, but you get a taste of it at 20 sec in or so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeJtRFcsGQI

commedieu

Banned
I started out with a clio contract. now I got an invite for carts.

is this how the sp works? I figured id pick another contract whenever the clio one is done.

like after carts, will.there be another class awarded...and that's how you play?

curious.

I feel like im cheating on gt. but I love this game. the driving is bliss. challenge is great. the ai has been a blast. unlike the drones in gt. not even missing the car selection. never thought I'd spend so much time in a clio but hes a beast!!!! lol.

xrnzaaas

I started out with a clio contract. now I got an invite for carts.

is this how the sp works? I figured id pick another contract whenever the clio one is done.

like after carts, will.there be another class awarded...and that's how you play?

curious.

I feel like im cheating on gt. but I love this game. the driving is bliss. challenge is great. the ai has been a blast. unlike the drones in gt. not even missing the car selection. never thought I'd spend so much time in a clio but hes a beast!!!! lol.

Are you talking about an invitational event (they're optional and you receive a lot of them during a season) or about a contract signing (it happens at the end of the season and you must choose a contract from the e-mails you've received)? I've started one of my careers in Clio Cup and you should receive much more offers at the end of the season, including Kart One, Formula Gulf and Ginetta Cup.

Klocker

Even with its flaws this game just captures the feel of what it might be like to drive a racecar better than any game I've played... I'm a console only player.

Other games are going to have a hard time matching that feeling of immersion and detail on track that this does.

Now hurry up with my patch

danowat

Banned
I've just noticed a very small detail that I didn't really pay a huge amount of attention to, but it's something that many other games lack, and actually makes quite a difference to how it looks.

Tyre decals.

Mascot

Even with its flaws this game just captures the feel of what it might be like to drive a racecar better than any game I've played... I'm a console only player.

Other games are going to have a hard time matching that feeling of immersion and detail on track that this does.

The Xbone patch STILL isn't out? What are MS playing at..?

I had an epic battle on Formula C longer race at Zolder.

25 laps, I started at 8th position.

I had quite a nice start and, before the short straight that leads to the first chicane, I was fifth.

Couple more laps in, and I climbed up to second place. At 9th lap, I took the lead on the last chicane. Couple more laps in, and my worst nightmare felt: it started to rain.

By that point, I was 7 seconds ahead of the second place car, which leads the championship by a huge margin.

Still with slicks, I kept my shit together, concentrated hard to keep the gap and, to my surprise, I was managing to keep him those 7 secs away.

Then it REALLY started to rain. I mean, on that conditions, most F1 and WEC races wouldn't start.

Because I'm not confident about my racing skills on wet tracks (and it was my first race on this kind of conditions in pCARS) I decided to wait and see what approach the AI would take on this.

They kept running on slicks and our times didn't suffer much. At 12th lap, I noticed some AI going for wet tyres, but since the second place guy didn't, I stayed one more lap.

Which was some of that decisions that can really ruin an awesome race. It was borderline undriveable with dead cold slicks, but I could stay on track and got to the pits. Edited my strategy with wet tyres, wondering if the monsoon ones wouldn't be better due to the intensity of the the downpour, with thunders going on and all that.

I stopped on the 13th lap. The second place guy didn't.

He rushed by me whilst I was doing the tyre change. I got out of the box assuming the AI was still broken, he would race those slicks at an unmachable pace and that was that.

But he couldn't. Before the Villeneuve chicane, I was all over him and before the banked corner, I was in the lead again.

To keep this short, he stopped on the 14th lap and since other AI drivers had already changed tires, he ended up dropping some serious places on the standings board.

Up at front, I had a couple of momments hitting the gas too hard, or too early, but managed to keep a whopping 18 seconds gap to the rest of the pack. And got an epic win, woth rain, which is something very unusual to me. I saved the replay: 40 minutes of an amazing race (for some reason, on the replay, the rain starts much earlier than it did on the actual race).

Sorry about the long post, but I had to. This game is trully something else when it works correctly. As a diehard motorsport fan, I always wanted this kind of challenge and feeling from racing games. I'm glad that the chosen one is finally here (although with all kinds of broken pieces).

commedieu

Banned
Are you talking about an invitational event (they're optional and you receive a lot of them during a season) or about a contract signing (it happens at the end of the season and you must choose a contract from the e-mails you've received)? I've started one of my careers in Clio Cup and you should receive much more offers at the end of the season, including Kart One, Formula Gulf and Ginetta Cup.

LOL.. i some how, maybe its a bug. RE-SIGNED up for another Clio season! But I got the ginetta cup email, changed some settings, went back to inbox, and swear it changed from ginetta back to clio. Maybe they disappear if you don't do them right there and then.

Thank you. Im gunna try to just let the AI finish it, and see what offers come up.

I am in heaven. I've played sims from Live for speed, to rfactor, toca, etc.. on PC. But they never really nailed the visual polish. So there'd be that shortcoming. Sure you get the sim, but the visuals were meh. This is challenging, its rewarding. The actual driving is the reward. Getting pole position, or having a tough race and placing is the reward.

I see a lot of people condemning the A.I, but i've yet to notice they are robots yet. I see a lot of stupid mistakes, random lines... its almost as bad as multiplayer (the first turn). And for 20 bucks, or whatever this was for on steam, well.. nuff said.

xrnzaaas

LOL.. i some how, maybe its a bug. RE-SIGNED up for another Clio season! But I got the ginetta cup email, changed some settings, went back to inbox, and swear it changed from ginetta back to clio. Maybe they disappear if you don't do them right there and then.

Thank you. Im gunna try to just let the AI finish it, and see what offers come up.

It's not you, it's the bad menu design. :)

You don't receive contract offers until the end of the year. So in your case you won't get them immediately after finishing the last Clio race if there are some invitiational events left within the same season.

As for automatic re-signing, I haven't encounteted that issue myself. This part of the game definitely needs some tweaking in future patches, like for in instance you should be asked if you're absolutely 100% sure about signing a contract in case you've selected the wrong one by mistake. :)

brentech

Was talking to some of the pcars people on reddit. Realized I needed to try to make cleaner passes against the AI.
It's still not perfect, but I thought I did better this race. Started myself in last to make more traffic (most gets passed early since they are much lower class cars).

Raced at Leguna Seca in a Mercedes C Class DTM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzFDZDuxKX0

Top Bottom