• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

DD

May have missed it, but anyone noticing any issues with severe yet sporadic input lag on the PS4 when using a controller? Odd thing is it only happens occasionally, but particularly frustrating when it occurs in the middle of a race and the car turns 2-3 seconds after I move the stick. Happens with the accelerator as well.

Of the tons of problems I have with this game, this isn't one of them. At least 'til now. ;(

danowat

Banned
Only one problem that really gets my goat every single time I play it.

that's the setup bug, every time you load a new car or track, the game will chuck stupid setup values in (0.5Bar tyre pressures, fuel load 50 litres more than the car can carry etc etc), and you have to remember to enter the setup, it will revert to the correct settings, then save.

It's ok (if you can remember to do it) in solo, but can be a PITA in Quick weekend and Online when you can't actually enter the setup menu.........

Has there been any consensus as to what wheel is best for PS4? I've been looking at a t500 but I've heard there's some config problems with this game. I want to get a setup ready for the Indy 500 release.

Branson

Has there been any consensus as to what wheel is best for PS4? I've been looking at a t500 but I've heard there's some config problems with this game. I want to get a setup ready for the Indy 500 release.
When's the Indy 500 release? Also I think the T300 is the best wheel right now for PS4.

When's the Indy 500 release? Also I think the T300 is the best wheel right now for PS4.

I'll look into that one, thanks. I don't think they've given a release date, but they announced it right before this years race. There's some screens and a video out I believe. Cant wait

I don't have a wheel but you are not alone, here is what they are saying

In this thread. http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?35173-Patch-2-0-out-now-Opinions/page13

Hope it helps

Yeah I did some of these steps yesterday (ffb down to 50%) and it solved some of the issues, but now it kind of feels off unless I'm pushing it. I don't know it's just so crazy how it was kind of awesome a week ago but I couldn't finish a race with pit stops in carrer, and now I can but my wheel doesn't feel the same :(

Anyway when I get some free time I'll dive into the settings until I figure it out. Plus I just ordered the leather thrustmaster rim so I'll be eager to put it through the paces.

Metfanant

Only one problem that really gets my goat every single time I play it.

that's the setup bug, every time you load a new car or track, the game will chuck stupid setup values in (0.5Bar tyre pressures, fuel load 50 litres more than the car can carry etc etc), and you have to remember to enter the setup, it will revert to the correct settings, then save.

It's ok (if you can remember to do it) in solo, but can be a PITA in Quick weekend and Online when you can't actually enter the setup menu.........

Ugh! Every time

xrnzaaas

LMP2 AI still needs some rebalancing imo. I qualified 14th (in Monza) and then I tried again after lowing the AI skill by 10 and got a PP by a big margin.

Nice to hear about the new Audi/Ruapuna DLC. I will buy it asap. :)

Mascot

Well, I like Ruapuna Park about as much as I thought I would, ie not very much at all. It's great to have a new track but there will be a finite number of circuits released for pCARS and I reckon there's a long, long list of far more deserving locations. I don't mind the authentically low-tier low-upkeep ambience (it's one of those tracks that looks like some navvies have spilt some tarmac in a farmer's field), it's just the ribbon layouts are pretty nondescript, pretty anonymous, with no memorable or unique features. As always, being as flat as a pancake doesn't help, but at least there's a sense of occasion as Silverstone or Hockenheim. Ruapuna Park feels like it should be hosting banger racing, not serious motorsport. I can't help but feel deflated visiting Ruapuna after playing varied, unique and exciting tracks like Imola or Spa with their wonderful elevation changes and signature features.

I'm wondering about the selection criteria for this track - did SMS already have the model and data from a previous title?

danowat

Banned
From an outside perspective, it looks like a strange choice, because of the lack of elevation and features, but from a development standpoint, it's probably a good reason to choose it.........

_machine

I think one reason was that quite a few people wanted it on the forums and that it's license seemed rather easy to acquire, and most likely a ton cheaper than the popular ones.

xrnzaaas

Hm, is SMS ripping off their customers? The Audi DLC is exactly 1,1MB in size. Or maybe they've added the new content with the patches?

kie25

Hm, is SMS ripping off their customers? All DLC's are exactly 1,1MB in size. Or maybe they've added the new content with the patches?

The 1st dlc was in the game from
Day 1 as there was no patch on ps4 before it came, my guess is they have been in there for awhile as the Audi 90 was in the list of cars in march.

danowat

Banned
Hm, is SMS ripping off their customers? The Audi DLC is exactly 1,1MB in size. Or maybe they've added the new content with the patches?

Content came with the 2.0 patch, hence why PC owners could access the files, and in some cases the actual cars, after the release of 2.0.

chadskin

Driveclub does this as well. The content comes with the patch, buying the DLC packs in the PS Store then just unlocks it in-game.

Sorc3r3r

A.I. is broken here.
They can maybe fake a smart behavoir while the ais are racing against the player, but using an ai as companion is ugly to see.
Was doing the 24h du mans changed driver, it lost the lead i got and ended disqualifyed for too many cuts on track without even mentioning the laughable behavoir while trying to overtake any other cars.

Gt5 trainable ai was way better than this.

xrnzaaas

Ok thanks for the info about the DLC. :)

I've just tried the new Audi cars and they're great. And oh man, gaining power in the R18 e-tron comes so naturally. You wouldn't know that you're accelerating so hard if you didn't look at the speedometer. :D

A.I. is broken here.
They can maybe fake a smart behavoir while the ais are racing against the player, but using an ai as companion is ugly to see.
Was doing the 24h du mans changed driver, it lost the lead i got and ended disqualifyed for too many cuts on track without even mentioning the laughable behavoir while trying to overtake any other cars.

Gt5 trainable ai was way better than this.

Everything you need to know to avoid frustration while doing something as long as Le Mans.

markao

Well, I like Ruapuna Park about as much as I thought I would, ie not very much at all. It's great to have a new track but there will be a finite number of circuits released for pCARS and I reckon there's a long, long list of far more deserving locations. I don't mind the authentically low-tier low-upkeep ambience (it's one of those tracks that looks like some navvies have spilt some tarmac in a farmer's field), it's just the ribbon layouts are pretty nondescript, pretty anonymous, with no memorable or unique features. As always, being as flat as a pancake doesn't help, but at least there's a sense of occasion as Silverstone or Hockenheim. Ruapuna Park feels like it should be hosting banger racing, not serious motorsport. I can't help but feel deflated visiting Ruapuna after playing varied, unique and exciting tracks like Imola or Spa with their wonderful elevation changes and signature features.

I'm wondering about the selection criteria for this track - did SMS already have the model and data from a previous title?
It is because Project CARS was a community project

One of the members is from New Zealand, lives around that track and was really active in trying to finally get his local track in a game. Provided all kind off data and help for devs and as a result the track is in the game.

Understand this might not be the same for someone who just bought the game, but for me, a backer, this is one of the better things about the community involvement and what it could lead to if you as a backer put the time and effort in to it. For the same reason I hope we still will see the `old Soltitude track" in one of the upcoming classic DLC´s.

But like I said, do understand your way of reasoning.

Patrick S.

Banned
I actually really like the track. It kind of reminds me of the Top Gear track. And I think it's more exciting to see a fresh track every once in a while instead of always getting another standard track I have already seen in ten thousand other games.

fresquito

I'm with markao here. I haven't played the track, but I think it's a very special track because the story behind the involvement within the community. Likewise, in PC2 the team is already working on a track that by the words of Ian Bell, they would have never included in a thousand years if not because the community offering and supporting the idea.

Mascot

I'm with markao here. I haven't played the track, but I think it's a very special track because the story behind the involvement within the community. Likewise, in PC2 the team is already working on a track that by the words of Ian Bell, they would have never included in a thousand years if not because the community offering and supporting the idea.
It's a heartwarming story but is it a sensible way of selecting suitable locations? I'm not convinced.

fresquito

It's a heartwarming story but is it a sensible way of selecting suitable locations? I'm not convinced.
I am. The game has a lot of different tracks from total classics to well known, to more obscure locations. And In my eyes that's one of the main strenghs about this game. And having this particular track, that no other game has, can only be a positive.

Of course not every track has followed the same rules to decide whether it is suitable or not, but I find it very interesting that such a track, with a story like this behind, is in the game. What I find odd is that after so much love and care, SMS doesn't sell all these stories better, because that's fantastic marketing right there.

Me neither.

The thing is the track, although unseen in any other racing game, is kind of featureless. It doesn't do any favors to the argument of community engagement because it isn't special as a race track.

On the other hand, this would be a sensible new location:

ecvjye9k0zpl7cwey0g1.jpg

Some onboard action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1GLyF3TUJM&spfreload=10

Dat Gran Turismo tyre squealing noise.

Potrero de Los Funes, Argentina.

Is there an argentinian backer to push this through? PLEASE?

Mascot

I don't know. While playing I didn't find the track interesting, or exciting, or atmospheric, or varied, or offering many overtaking opportunities... all things I look for in a good track. I'm not necessarily saying have the exact same roster as other sims, but I'd have thought the likes of Estoril, Kyalami, Interlagos and others would have polled better than Ruapana in a public vote, and offered a lot more to many more players.

The reason Ruapuna hasn't featured heavily in other sims might just be because it's just not very good, and maybe not all that conducive to thrilling racing.

fresquito

I don't know. While playing I didn't find the track interesting, or exciting, or atmospheric, or varied, or offering many overtaking opportunities... all things I look for in a good track. I'm not necessarily saying have the exact same roster as other sims, but I'd have thought the likes of Estoril, Kyalami, Interlagos and others would have polled better than Ruapana in a public vote, and offered a lot more to many more players.

The reason Ruapuna hasn't featured heavily in other sims might just be because it's just not very good, and maybe not all that conducive to thrilling racing.
And probably would have also be more expensive to acquire. I ahven't played the track, so I can't say how good or bad it is.

Mascot

And probably would have also be more expensive to acquire. I ahven't played the track, so I can't say how good or bad it is.
Oh yeah, I've no doubt cost was a big consideration. I bought the track (but probably won't play it much) because I think it's important to support the game if I want more tracks further down the line, but I'll be hoping for a marquee circuit with a little more to offer next time.

@wowbaggerBR - that does look good.

Patrick S.

Banned
In my opinion, some or maybe even most of the world's best tracks are already in the game. Every new track we get now is just gravy to me. That lake track in Argentina looks reaaaally nice, I'd love to see that in pCARS. What I'd like to see are cool city tracks, like Macao or similar, like we used to see in PGR. Tracks that are built for night racing, with neon lights and whatnot.

DD

Me neither.

The thing is the track, although unseen in any other racing game, is kind of featureless. It doesn't do any favors to the argument of community engagement because it isn't special as a race track.

On the other hand, this would be a sensible new location:

ecvjye9k0zpl7cwey0g1.jpg

Some onboard action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1GLyF3TUJM&spfreload=10

Dat Gran Turismo tyre squealing noise.

Potrero de Los Funes, Argentina.

Is there an argentinian backer to push this through? PLEASE?
Listen to this guy.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I can't seem to adjust the cars for more downforce. Is the only option for more oversteer the brake balance?

In my opinion, some or maybe even most of the world's best tracks are already in the game. Every new track we get now is just gravy to me. That lake track in Argentina looks reaaaally nice, I'd love to see that in pCARS. What I'd like to see are cool city tracks, like Macao or similar, like we used to see in PGR. Tracks that are built for night racing, with neon lights and whatnot.

Nah, you can say that when we get:

Mosport
Interlagos
Kyalami
Nurburgring 24h layout
Potrero de Los Funes
Road Atlanta
Sebring
Long Beach

@wowbaggerBR - that does look good.

It does. It's a relatively known track and I never understood why it isn't featured in any racing game. Twisty sections, elevation changes, amazing scenery, it does have it all. It's like some fictional track that woul've came out of Poliphony Digital in their long forgotten golden days.

Patrick S.

Banned
Nah, you can say that when we get:

Mosport
Interlagos
Kyalami
Nurburgring 24h layout
Potrero de Los Funes
Road Atlanta
Sebring
Long Beach

It does. It's a relatively known track and I never understood why it isn't featured in any racing game. Twisty sections, elevation changes, amazing scenery, it does have it all. It's like some fictional track that woul've came out of Poliphony Digital in their long forgotten golden days.

Of all those, the only one I'd care is Interlagos, because of its importance in Formula 1, and maybe Kyalami for historic reasons. There are already more versions of the Nürburgring than I can care for, and this is coming from a German. The American tracks don't carry much weight für me, because the only American track I care for, Laguna Seca, is already there.

I say it again, more stuff is always nice, but I'm really happy with what we have already.

brentech

I downloaded the new DLC and gave the track a try. I did about a lap and a half before deciding to try a 3 lap race with the Clio Cup cars.
Anything more powerful felt like the track couldn't handle it, but again, I didn't spend much time on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZI79Srhq78 (with replay PIP)

So, obviously I didn't have a great handle on the track, but the AI seemed really aggressive going into the turns, "dive bombing" all the sharp turns. I'm going to try 15 cars maybe and see if it's better, and if not, an even weaker car.....but for the most part, it's pretty uninspiring.

_machine

Same. :p

I wonder if SMS could use some ot the tracks they've made for Shift 2, such as Autopolis, Enna Pergusa and Rouen-Les-Essarts.
Unfortunately no, all the assets and IPs and licenses are owned by EA, and I'm sure SMS had to fight to the tooth and nail to keep their engine. They were able to get some base setups from pre-Test Drive Ferrari era tracks which definitely made it quicked to get them playable, but I think they've exhausted all their existing content.

I probably won't be picking the DLC in the near future, hardly any free-time (with gaming computer available that is) in the next 1.5 months and I've got my hands full with the career :(

Top Bottom