• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project GODUS (Populous reinvention) Kickstarter by 22cans [Ended, £526K Funded]

SamVT

Sorry guys working on the prototype video to show off for later today so no time to reply to your questions but will pick it up again over the weekend.

I'm so scared...haven't slept proper in...well 12 weeks really...I want this to be over.

Drencrom

Sorry guys working on the prototype video to show off for later today so no time to reply to your questions but will pick it up again over the weekend.

I'm so scared...haven't slept proper in...well 12 weeks really...I want this to be over.

I'm so sorry man :(

totowhoa

Banned
My Guess? If it comes close but not quite then expect a few mysterious donations from family and friends. I can't see the ego losing this one.

That's sort of what I was thinking. They're putting a lot of effort into development now and if they are set on developing this with no other project on the horizon (and no guarantee another Kickstarter would work)... it might make more sense for the company to take out a small loan or for some individuals to pool personal savings. I have no idea how viable either option is, but it would certainly hurt to be in full time development, only watch £375,000 disappear and come to a screeching halt. Maybe that's what will happen, though. Edit: And as I see, SamVT mentions being anxious about it.. I don't blame him, this must be a very stressful situation

If this kickstarter should fail, they should try and find funding to get this game to alpha, and try alpha funding like Introversion has done with Prison Architect.

totowhoa

Banned
That would be shady as hell, though, even if they had the best of intentions.

I definitely agree :p I assume this has to have happened plenty of times with smaller projects that cost less though (and not necessarily gaming kickstarters either). Anyway, I don't want to encourage some kind of stupid conspiracy theory should this game happen to have an amazing last minute finish, so I'll just hush up. I'm still hoping this Kickstarter meets its goal.

eroots

Looking forward to that prototype video!

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
That's the shadiest of all shady things. What's next? Funding for engine. Funding for alpha. Funding for beta. Funding for release. Funding for DLC?

Worked for Notch, no?

At least, right off the bat, your customers have access to a product and can make far more informed decisions regarding its future.

That's the shadiest of all shady things. What's next? Funding for engine. Funding for alpha. Funding for beta. Funding for release. Funding for DLC?

Alpha funding shady? Tell that to Mojang, Slightly Mad Studios and Introversion.

The way it works is of course that when you pay for the game, you get the initial alpha version and then all updates up to the finished version.

Perkel

Banned
SamVT as someone said above. Alpha funding is the answer if you have at least something to play with. But i still think final push will get this game funded.

tip: next time don't announce that game will be for mobile phones. Port for MP after release of Godus is okey. Making both at same time which will have same content screams "downgrade"

Also from your videos i see that this game already is in somewhat alpha playable state. Redoing kickstarter is always option with upgraded pitch with new content.

Do you even know what is alpha funding ? Because you clearly look like that you don't.

r1chard

Another great update with Peter back in the country to show things off. Sadly the prototype isn't quite ready enough to put into a promotional video; but it was really interesting to see where they're at in such a short amount of time. It was also fascinating to see Peter's direct influence on the game design and the responsiveness of the programmers to his thoughts.

Also, Python prototyping FTW :)

qwerty2k

Hi Sam, saw the video this morning, looks good and glad i've pledged! Really like the technical details, ie, prototyped in python now using c++ and OpenGL and hope for more of the same (if not more technical :)) in the future.

Thanks guys! :) Here is the Technology Update / Prototype video for everyone in this topic who's asked about it. I'm in the video! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqKk3WZoWmk

Also read this if you want more details from our technology guys;

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/22cans/project-godus/posts/369430

Only six days, please back us.

Been a backer since day 1.

Question: Will you keep doing handcam footage only for the rest of the kickstarter, or do you plan a proper gameplay/prototype footage trailer?

SamVT

Been a backer since day 1.

Question: Will you keep doing handcam footage only for the rest of the kickstarter, or do you plan a proper gameplay/prototype footage trailer?

Well I started a proper gameplay/ prototype footage trailer but it just didn't feel right (as Peter also said in the video), we already get slated for so many things that the last thing i want to do is release a video that would give people the wrong impression. Saying that, absolutely hopeful that by Monday we're ready to show a standalone prototype video. As long as people realise that it's a prototype, not even an alpha. :)

Perkel

Banned
Thanks guys! :) Here is the Technology Update / Prototype video for everyone in this topic who's asked about it. I'm in the video! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqKk3WZoWmk

Also read this if you want more details from our technology guys;

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/22cans/project-godus/posts/369430

Only six days, please back us.

Nice hat Sam. It is really shaping up nicely. It really looks like proper PC game so my mobile thoughts vanished. Love the artstyle also.

Well I started a proper gameplay/ prototype footage trailer but it just didn't feel right (as Peter also said in the video), we already get slated for so many things that the last thing i want to do is release a video that would give people the wrong impression. Saying that, absolutely hopeful that by Monday we're ready to show a standalone prototype video. As long as people realise that it's a prototype, not even an alpha. :)

Monday? Ok, you guys seriously haven't much time to play with now. To try and strive for perfection at this time of the project seems a bit odd to be honest. As I see it, a short teaser trailer just displaying what you have shown so far with handcam footage would draw attention, but you´re the ones running the kickstarter of course. :)

As for making sure that people understand that it´s a prototype. just have a text saying "prototype footage" in one of the corners, and no one would be able to fault you guys if they get the wrong impression.

Stampy

I don't get it. I see an update on KS page stating that a new pitch video is uploaded, but it does not seem as a pitch video, but just some random footage?

Sentenza

Well, I definitely like what I'm seeing here.
Of course, these are just technological foundations, the proper game will be all about balanced and interesting powers and "heroes" (if it's going to resemble Populous 2, at least).
Still, quite promising.

If I could suggest something to Molyneux I would ask two new features that Populous lacked:
- Make different types of terrain matter somehow, don't make them just different in colors.
- Find a way to make uneven landscape viable. In Populous the basic strategy was "Just make everything FLAT or houses will not grow fast enough".

Still not backing it, but I will definitely buy it if it's good.

SamVT

Hi Sam, saw the video this morning, looks good and glad i've pledged! Really like the technical details, ie, prototyped in python now using c++ and OpenGL and hope for more of the same (if not more technical :)) in the future.

for sure, we're going to do one on art as well. It would be nice for the engineers to post a daily update on the tech changes...I'll speak to everyone on Monday. Everyone's working from home though, a lot of stuff to do in the next five days to try and get to our goal. :D *nervous*

Genji

Decided to back after watching the last few video updates. Game engine seems to be coming along nicely and they have more to show than some other projects I've backed in the past. Not necessarily expecting anything mind blowing here, but a solid god game that I can play on the go on my iPad would be welcome.

Hope they make it over the next few days, seems like it will be pretty close.

aeolist

Banned
Isnt the timing of these really bad? People usually spend up all their spare cash in the week before christmas.

They're desperately trying to recover from the initial backlash. I doubt they had this timing planned out and they possibly didn't intend to show any prototype footage at all originally.

qwerty2k

for sure, we're going to do one on art as well. It would be nice for the engineers to post a daily update on the tech changes...I'll speak to everyone on Monday. Everyone's working from home though, a lot of stuff to do in the next five days to try and get to our goal. :D *nervous*

Excellent, sounds good.

SamVT

Aye, it's not great. Could be a shit Christmas for the 22 cans lot. =/

yeah man tell me about, I haven't even been able to do any christmas shopping yet, it's gonna have to be 22nd december the day after our kickstarter finishes... :D

i'll either drown my sorrows at the dinner table with family or be a bolt of joy. either way, im hopeful we're gonna make our target.

qwerty2k

Sam/Anyone...i'm a 'backer' but backed after the backer avatars were sent out....can i still get those any where or am i just too late?

SamVT

qwerty2k you should be able to see the avatars for download in the updates, if you're a backer and are logged in?

SamVT

Today is an Art Update by Paul McLaughlin

I'd like to say that the art direction for GODUS came about as one of those textbook design and development experiences I’ll no doubt be filling my mega-successful memoirs with in years to come but it didn't. Peter and myself had a kick off meeting and were tasked with laying down the foundations for the project within the hour. Fortunately there were some suitable ideas kicking around in my head and after a bit of filtering I proposed the approach you’re seeing now.

The game concept is somewhat retrospective, this part of its appeal to many but we still want to do something beautiful and original with it. I want our audience to feel positive about it, feel they’re playing with something beautiful and for no one to mistake it for anything other than GODUS when they see it. However, as a fall-back position, the prospect of doing naturalistic visuals was definitely on the table which scared the bejasus out of me. That would be such a shame as there seemed to be far more potential with this project. Fortunately the team is very open-minded and up for a challenge so I started scribbling. I’m very interested in cartography and how the language of maps can create convincing worlds in our minds. They can also be very elegant and beautiful to look at. Mix that up with a love of miniatures and model environments led me to look at architectural models. Hmmm, god as architect, overlooking a tabletop universe seemed like a pretty sound high-concept. This was the hook I was looking for and something that people seemed to get behind straight away.

map_model.png

Gary Leach (lead architect) practically lit up at the prospect of creating something with a unique aesthetic. It also provided him with some interesting tech and user interaction opportunities so he was bought in. Mattia (lead artist) seemed to see the visual potential which gave me great confidence as I really trust his judgment. Even Peter M (you know who Peter is) was sold on the idea without much discussion. I have to admit I did and still do see some problems; followers navigating a stepped world, scale disasters and FX that have real energy, creating empathy with tiny figures not trivialising the drama, and critically, audience acceptance. However I’m certain we can address all of those issues as we develop the experience.

set%20of%20landscapes.png

More information and images on http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/22cans/project-godus/posts/370208.

EDIT:

This tweet from @petermolydeux made me giggle;

Make #Godus happen otherwise I'm walking back down the road to make Fable 4 for next gen xbox sub ipad tablet thing http://t.co/hixb09zV

Original Tweet: http://twitter.com/PeterMolydeux/status/280412703107981312

I found the video in that tweet to be very interesting. Cool seeing the interaction between peter, the designer, and the developers.

I hope this game gets funded.

Thread reads like he's canned the project and it made me wonder why. I'm guessing that's not it?

Yeah, that's not it. I'm not getting the vitriolic hate for him at this point in time. Not a bad idea.

border

Thread reads like he's canned the project and it made me wonder why. I'm guessing that's not it?.

Because people don't know that 22 Cans is the name of his development studio, and when people read the thread title quickly it looks like "Peter Molyneux Cans Kickstarter".

me Jojo

112k left and only 4 days to go. A friend of mine, who has more experience with Kickstarter, said people fund the most in the last few days. I hope it's true and that they make it.

I have confidence in this project because Molyneux games have always been enjoyable. It's just the sequals that disappointed me over and over again. I played through DK, Black and White and Fable countless of times (I litterally installed DK again back in summer and threw that fan expansion on top of it and played a bunch of the custom made campaigns, fun as hell!), yet I never bothered to beat DK2 or BW2. I did beat Fable 2 although it was a LOT less enjoyable than the first. I never bothered to pick up the third.

Also I'm seeing a lot of people with Godus avatars in here... am I the first with this one? Otherwise I'll pick another.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I still dont see anything from this game that seems like a bold new era of God games or whatever, it just seems absolutely bog standard. Maybe its because the flavourful From Dust and its actually fun gameplay and concept is still fresh in my mind.

Top Bottom