• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project GODUS (Populous reinvention) Kickstarter by 22cans [Ended, £526K Funded]

border

112k left and only 4 days to go. A friend of mine, who has more experience with Kickstarter, said people fund the most in the last few days. I hope it's true and that they make it.

Needs to make about 25,000 per day to succeed......they are averaging only about 12,000 per day right now.

I suspect Molyneux may have some well-to-do friends waiting in the wings to bail this thing out if it's not gonna make it, but I suppose we'll see.

RoyalFool

Banned
why didn't you guys didn't make a prototype before starting the kick-starter? seems like you'd been off to a quicker start if you had something more concrete to show on day one.

Also, mind me asking what tools your using to create the prototype? It looks like xcode in the screenshots but I can't imagine you'd prototype using C#. Really curious as to how you managed to make the prototype so damn fast!

Hope you make the goal, would love to see a return to Peters designing roots.

SamVT

Good question, best to read the technology update about that :) sorry for linking instead of posting the answer but out CTO and lead engineer are better placed; http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/22cans/project-godus/posts/369430

Also since winter is here (and to show a different kind of landscape);

winter_scene_640.png

Prototype came together damn fast. Looks good.

Hoping for some sort of fairytale ending. I'll be increasing my pledge but I don't see it happening now. =/

SkyandSun

Banned
Looks really good, actually. I can't really afford to pledge, though.

I think if this fails, restarting the kickstarter with the prototype to show at the start would work. In hindsight I'm sure 22Cans agree that the prototype video should have been there at the very start.

Best of luck.

JMPerona

I have a problem with this game: the player only modifies the terrain and the game plays by itself. I want to see more interaction from the player. More choices, more variety in races and landscape. This is only a prototype, maybe it will come later...

r1chard

I have a problem with this game: the player only modifies the terrain and the game plays by itself. I want to see more interaction from the player. More choices, more variety in races and landscape. This is only a prototype, maybe it will come later...
There's been a bunch of other kinds of interaction talked about in the other updates. They're just not implemented in the prototype.

derFeef

I really love the artstyle. Looked up some Populous 3 screenshots again and oh my did I love this game, so much nostalgia, if you can call it that way for P3. Loved the silly bitmap people, so good.

clockpunk

Hmmm... that video showed it wasn't for me. Not after the truly genre-redefining work of From Dust. I was hoping for a Black & White esque experience, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Sorry chaps, but I've pulled my pledge - and shall be adding extra to the War for the Overworld kickstarter - a reimagining/invention of Dungeon Keeper - which I think is both more deserving, and more likely to be the true successor to the genre.

Social

if only they went for a new dungeon keeper style game. Not a lot of people want the game that is currently shown, prototype or whatever. It might be impressive for what was achieved in 2 weeks but it shows nothing interested at all.

derFeef

Hmmm... that video showed it wasn't for me. Not after the truly genre-redefining work of From Dust. I was hoping for a Black & White esque experience, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Sorry chaps, but I've pulled my pledge - and shall be adding extra to the War for the Overworld kickstarter - a reimagining/invention of Dungeon Keeper - which I think is both more deserving, and more likely to be the true successor to the genre.

From Dust is genre-redifining? How so? Not wanting to tell you which projects to back, but WFTO looks like a complete knock-off. Even Evil Genious was more original or had at least a different premise.

clockpunk

From Dust is genre-redifining? How so? Not wanting to tell you which projects to back, but WFTO looks like a complete knock-off. Even Evil Genious was more original or had at least a different premise.

From Dust, in my opinion, most certainly is - as it sets the bar so high, that I suspect Molyneux will be unable to pass it. The abstract story was worked in wonderfully, and the limits to terrain manipulation were well balanced. Judging from the material put out thus far, I do not judge Godus to meet the (admittedly) high standards I have.

Having read a lot of the design documentation for WtfO, it is a 'knock off' only in style and premise - necessarily so, given the legal constraints. The gameplay itself is apparently significantly refined, adapted and inspired from DK, which is one of my favourite games of all time, with an exorbitant amount of modding power built into the framework - so as to let users tailor any/every aspect of the game, from adding new spells/monsters/traps, to inventing unique game modes. That is what a 'God game' *should* be. Plus, they have had a playable showcase since Day One - which has only today been upgraded into a full (albeit alpha state) demo, which actually provides a feel for the game.

Black & White enters my list of beloved titles, as well.

WtfO is a title shaping up to be extremely close - but superior - to that which I love, Godus quite simply (again, judging from the material available - which should be the impetus for any game development KickStarter) isn't. Hence the former having earned my money.

Yeah, they will make it. Congrats.

Just under 60k to go in... 3 days? It'll be close. No forehead wiping yet.

The prototype videos really did nothing for me... well TBH more the opposite. I just wasn't feeling it... and I love God games, especially the old Bullfrog classics of old. Populous being one of my first and fave games ever, so I really wanted this to succeed, yet the videos put me off... I do hope they make it regardless, because I'd be interested in how it turns out and if Peter and the team can revive the magic of old.

From Dust was a great throwback to those games, yet was a bit too limited.

LTWheels

I hope they make it. I think they would have been more successful if they had showed the prototype videos much earlier on, not hours before the kickstarter ends. Prototype should have been really made before the beginning of the kickstarter.

I feel that they have been a bit naive as to how to market a game on kickstarter.

Perkel

Banned
Is that the final look of the game? Not a big fan. Otherwise the game looks pretty cool.

it't prototype created in two weeks. It is not even alpha

50k left ? 3 Days ?
Prepare stretch goals Sam because you will reach initial funding goal. Last day will probably give you way above 400k if you will provide some good stretch goal.

Mrbob

Too bad the prototype wasn't there from day one.

Also, if this doesn't go through, perhaps make a US kickstarter after. Hopefully this goes through. Going to be close.

I'm really, really rooting for these guys to succeed. For them to come this far and not meet the goal...that would be a tragedy.

epmode

Chris Roberts just made a post on the Star Citizen Kickstarter page to get a boost for Godus (and Elite): http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/posts/371767

I have to say that I've come around a tiny bit on this project, in spite of the Molyneux and iOS factor. Mostly because the Kickstarter campaign has been absolutely first-rate. ..and I managed to snag a spot in the £15 early bird tier!

So what the hell, I'm in. Here's hoping for a return to form.

r1chard

I have to say that I've come around a tiny bit on this project, in spite of the Molyneux and iOS factor. Mostly because the Kickstarter campaign has been absolutely first-rate. ..and I managed to snag a spot in the £15 early bird tier!
What was the iOS factor?

I actually think they've completely messed up the kickstarter campaign. If it was started three weeks later (ie. when they had the actual prototype) I don't believe things would've been nearly as troublesome.

@Sam: You guys had better make the t-shirt awesome or I'm going to have to come to your office and steal one of your shirts. Probably Molyneux's.

tmarques

50k left ? 3 Days ?
Prepare stretch goals Sam because you will reach initial funding goal. Last day will probably give you way above 400k if you will provide some good stretch goal.

I think it will make it, but you're out of your mind if you think they'll be able to include stretch goals. It's going to be very, very close.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Geez, it sure got a move on the last couple days. Good to see they'll have a great chance of getting this funded.

SamVT

Pfff what a day and night we've had, what a rollercoaster.

I've barely slept. Coffee.

Hopeful (still) that we'll make it.

Acosta

I'm pretty sure you will. But I am going to up my pledge, just in case.

Loved the multi video of yesterday, Molyenoux shouting "I am the father of god games" made me chuckle.

Let me tell you a thing Sam, it has been pretty incredible and inspiring to see the videos this month because it's really obvious you guys have put your asses in the line, I could see it in your faces that you were exhausted and still pushing on no matter what.

So, whatever is the outcome (and I hope it will be positive) I hope you and the rest of the team feel proud of this month.

syko de4d

i know that i said that i don´t believe that this game get funded but after the prototype videos the amount of pledges just get a high increase.
There is no way this get not founded anymore.

There are still 57 hours left, game needs 33k and only in the last 5hours they made 8k, at a time where the most people sleep (USA) or are at Work (EU)

Right know Godus could get around 500-550k at the end, maybe more with good stretch goals

Maybe 22Cans should have started the kickstarter some weeks later with a Prototype from the beginning.

It looks good for you. All the best. And I hope that you somewhat still enjoy your job despite the rough period you have had.

lefantome

Why didn't they developed the prototype BEFORE asking money for the game?
Would have they(22 cans) done the same if their boss wasn't a famouse developer?

I have been thinking this morning, that Kickstarters (not just Godus') should be designed to live and die based on the average user. If you rely on people who spend upwards of £100 (about the price of a limited edition under traditional publishing) then you're asking for too much.

This Kickstarter would have failed without very rich people and I don't think that's sensible safe or sustainable. Sure you can argue "oh well it's their money they can do what they want with it" and it looks like Godus will get by on that mentality.

If you're asking £5000 from someone maybe you should be looking at traditional forms of publishing. All this pay more to sit in and influence the game in some way is just a bastardisation of the traditional publishing model and kind of an insult to the average backer, the very idea of Kickstarter being a place for independent ideas. If you're going to allow people to influence the game every backer should be able to.

I'm too lazy to do any statistical analysis, nobody'd take any notice anyway but I think Kickstarter tiers should probably be capped in relation to the base game (boxed or digital) price. If Godus asked for just £350k instead they would have got by on donations of £200 max. But what to I know, maybe that £100k rich tier makes all the difference... additionally the way the media are being used, and suckered into "pushing" Kickstarters is so seedy. It's a pity fuck and unless you're in the clique with the media you're not going to get that advantage just like with the IGF /tinfoil hat.

Sentenza

Why didn't they developed the prototype BEFORE asking money for the game?
Would have they(22 cans) done the same if their boss wasn't a famouse developer?
I don't know, I would guess that Molyneux reputation at this point hurted more than helping. A new Populous is a very exciting perspective for many old PC gamers, something that in other circumstances I would fund in a heartbeat.
Then again that's probably my biased point of view, as lots of people still seem (inexplicably) fond of him.

Beside, his name surely added visibility to the project.

Top Bottom