• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project GODUS (Populous reinvention) Kickstarter by 22cans [Ended, £526K Funded]

I have been thinking this morning, that Kickstarters (not just Godus') should be designed to live and die based on the average user. If you rely on people who spend upwards of £100 (about the price of a limited edition under traditional publishing) then you're asking for too much.

This Kickstarter would have failed without very rich people and I don't think that's sensible safe or sustainable. Sure you can argue "oh well it's their money they can do what they want with it" and it looks like Godus will get by on that mentality.

If you're asking £5000 from someone maybe you should be looking at traditional forms of publishing. All this pay more to sit in and influence the game in some way is just a bastardisation of the traditional publishing model and kind of an insult to the average backer, the very idea of Kickstarter being a place for independent ideas. If you're going to allow people to influence the game every backer should be able to.

The average backer paid £31.67 on this as it currently stands. That's less than the price of most games in the UK. Not really getting where you got that this would have failed without rich people. There are actually very few expensive tiers, and hardly any backers for them.

Just added it up. Paying £100 or more there are just 621 backers. Paying £60 or less there are 12,812 backers.

lefantome

The average backer paid £31.67 on this as it currently stands. That's less than the price of most games in the UK. Not really getting where you got that this would have failed without rich people. There are actually very few expensive tiers, and hardly any backers for them.

Just added it up. Paying over £100 there are just 621 backers. Paying under £100 there are 12,812 backers.

yes but the payed 31.67 £ for something that doesn't exists yet, only a small prototype developed after the kickstarter begun.

I think 22cans is asking people to be really confindent in them.

Wasn't really the point though. His point was that it would have failed without rich people... and whilst I'm certainly not poor, I'm sure as hell not rich, and I wouldn't consider what I backed the project with to be a significant amount of money.

However, I guess as it stands if you were to remove the income from the tiers only "very rich" people could afford (say, £500 up) then they'd likely finish on £400k rather than £450k. So yes, technically they would have failed (still possible they could anyway).

The average backer paid £31.67 on this as it currently stands. That's less than the price of most games in the UK. Not really getting where you got that this would have failed without rich people.

31.67GBP for a game nowadays usually equal AAA release. This is an Indie game.

syko de4d

432k already. Godus made 23k the last 11hours and it is growing faster and faster. Maybe we will see sth. around 550-600k pounds, nearly a million $.

edit: + what ever they get through they paypal kickstarter at the homepage.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Glad it looks like they will make the goal, I guess I can understand the reluctance hopefully it turns out to be a much bigger success on release.

syko de4d

i hope 22Cans has some Stretch Goals ready to go. In like 6-10hours this game will get this 450k and if they want more they need some Stretch Goals

They Should be one for:

and maybe maybe 700k

550k is very realistic right now, 600k with a little luck and 650k with much luck and good Goals ;)

So it's a Populous remake?

Ok. I'll contribute. The original Populous is one of my all-time favorites.
I just hope the 22Cans guys don't over-complicate it. Love the simplicity of the original.

A confirmation that a version of the heartbeat/wind music from the original (particularly the SNES version) that would drone on in the background while you play would be the icing on the cake. :)

"22cans 1 minute ago
@everyone would it be ok if we announced our stretch goals now or should we wait until we have reached our goal fully? We have just under 4% to go."

Seems like they've got it all planned out :]

Say what you want, but there's no denying that 22 Cans have put together a very well organised Kickstarter - I really hope that more developers follow their lead with the constant updates, community interaction and in depth videos.

qwerty2k

Disappointed that Linux is one of the last stretch goals :(, especially as someone said previously they heard in one of the videos them saying that they had it up and running on the platform.

kswiston

Disappointed that Linux is one of the last stretch goals :(, especially as someone said previously they heard in one of the videos them saying that they had it up and running on the platform.

Based on the funding rate yesterday and today, even the Linux goal is a pretty modest target. They will hit that if funding continues at the pace it has been these last 30-40 hours, with no final day push.

I am very relieved that this will make its goal. I think it is ironic that this will be successful due to gameplay being shown rather than over-selling the game.

I hope Molyneux takes this on board. More people are willing to give him a chance if he can demonstrate a game, as opposed to just talk and concepts. If he keeps his lid on going bananas and just focuses on making the game, the game will better received. Just be frank. =)

Damn it, I'm seriously considering a pledge now.

The prototype video looked really cool. I've been following the progress for ages, so I guess it's inevitable really.

Oh, I read this as Peter Molyneux canning some guy's Kickstarter because it was too similar to Populous. Glad to see I misread that.

RoyalFool

Banned
Wow, I thought it was going to be close to the wire but it looks like they'll make it for sure, and hopefully even hit a stretch goal or two.

Time to get hyped, I really hope they keep up these videos after they've been funded - it's awesome (and endearing) seeing them at work/play.

syko de4d

Time to get hyped, I really hope they keep up these videos after they've been funded - it's awesome (and endearing) seeing them at work/play.

there will be alot ov videos because this is what everyone wo pledged more than 20Pounds get

"and also round-the-clock access to the 22cans development webcam once project GODUS is in full production"

:D

syko de4d

Sam can you hear me :D?

How will the Paypal Pledges will be handled? I just pledged because the game will be 100% founded and my only option was paypal.

Do you have any infos about the amount of paypal pledges and will they summed with the kickstarter pledge for the stretch Goals?

http://www.twitch.tv/22cans

Live stream up for them counting down to 450,000 - reckon it'll be in the next hour or so based on how fast it's moving up.

From the chat in response to no audio atm: "Pmolyneux: we are english so we tend to swear a lot, so we will turn audio on at 449,000" hah!

Perkel

Banned
I told you it will make it. Ptototype video did good !

Now about that 500k !

Sam prepare 550k and 600k streatch goal because in last 24 drive will reach that.

derFeef

Dat teasing.

edit:

212a567d778d3b39c1ef2bcc43e25359_large.png

Music.

Top Bottom